Author Topic: Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii  (Read 76042 times)

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii
« Reply #225 on: April 27, 2006, 05:11:48 PM »
Yeah Paladin, marketing experts always get it right... whatever.  There are many cases of them screwing up big.

Chevrolet's NOVA
Digital Hip-e

Names don't save a bad product.
They can also tarnish a good one.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 27, 2006, 05:13:44 PM »
"Yeah Paladin, marketing experts always get it right... whatever. There are many cases of them screwing up big."

Two examples.  Who's point are you trying to prove?
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii
« Reply #227 on: April 27, 2006, 05:26:18 PM »
WTF???

The Rev will always be "Rev".  I will not go wii-wii all over it's sacred code name...

Ok, so that was a lame joke.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 27, 2006, 05:28:50 PM »
Hahahaha, the topic exploded, I love the name even more now! Wii seperates the men from the boys.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 27, 2006, 05:35:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
"Yeah Paladin, marketing experts always get it right... whatever. There are many cases of them screwing up big."

Two examples.  Who's point are you trying to prove?

Come on now...  There are whole books on the subject...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 27, 2006, 05:41:13 PM »
There are also hundreds of marketing campaigns, many unconventional, that have succeeded.  What's your point?
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 27, 2006, 05:42:26 PM »

It's probably definitley fake, but it does look pretty cool.  Perhaps a little too altered as to be readable as "Wii" but not a terrible logo.  Either way, it does help in accepting the name.

But for what they're trying to do something a little more simple would work.  I mean, there's no way to top the Cube's logo anyway.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 27, 2006, 06:02:26 PM »
the official is the one we know already, it even has the TM and all, the logo itself is cool (the official that is), I like the composition that the "i" makes, it just gets ruined once I pronounce it.

Im actually hating it even more the more I try to digest it... damn... I want to like it or to dont give a damn about it, but I cant, it sounds terrible.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2006, 06:17:18 PM »
More than anything else, Wii will attract attention. And by that simple fact alone, Wii will get a foot in the door of many non-gamer households.

The more I think about it, the more I don't care about the name really. It's cute, it's punny, it's meaningful, it's upper-class low-brow, it's everything.

What it isn't is boring. Wii ain't that.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2006, 06:22:24 PM »

There are also hundreds of marketing campaigns, many unconventional, that have succeeded.  What's your point?

That marketing doesn't always get it right, did you read my post?  No.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 27, 2006, 06:23:56 PM »

This isn't a marketing campaign. It's a console name, and it sounds like they let marketing pick the name instead of the creators.

It's a bad pun. A BAD PUN. Nintendo said they wanted to attract the people who were scared away from gaming, yet the name "Wii" sounds so completely bizarre that I'm sure that market segment will still be scared away by it.

It's like they're trying to dress it up to not be a gaming console at all and I definitely don't agree with that approach. The DS succeeded because it was still a handheld console, just one which featured new concepts.

This sounds like it's trying to not be a console at all.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #236 on: April 27, 2006, 06:24:13 PM »
weird thing is, if the name had just one i, it wouldn't have bothered me as much.......

(maybe it's because having more than one i reminds me of "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" (kind of happy squeal ))  
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 27, 2006, 06:28:37 PM »

It's like they're trying to dress it up to not be a gaming console at all and I definitely don't agree with that approach.

How the flying crap did you come to that conclusion? This says gaming more than any other name, fun and simple. It's not a freaking generic box.

Please Nintendo, announce TP to be toon-shaded at E3.

Offline eljefe

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 27, 2006, 06:33:39 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
More than anything else, Wii will attract attention. And by that simple fact alone, Wii will get a foot in the door of many non-gamer households.

The more I think about it, the more I don't care about the name really. It's cute, it's punny, it's meaningful, it's upper-class low-brow, it's everything.

What it isn't is boring. Wii ain't that.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
true, sensible, articulate

wii has personality
..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 27, 2006, 06:47:05 PM »
"That marketing doesn't always get it right, did you read my post? No."

Yes.  I was making the opposite point, that for every bad example you point out I can point out at least one good one.  Your post isn't saying anything significant.

"This isn't a marketing campaign. It's a console name, and it sounds like they let marketing pick the name instead of the creators."

The Wii is its own marketing campaign.  It has to be both at once, Nintendo's success relies on the fact that people know what the console does.

Offline obscureownership

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 27, 2006, 06:50:10 PM »

Originally posted by: Shecky

That marketing doesn't always get it right, did you read my post?  No.

It's hilarious how you can say these things without looking at Nintendo's previous history of name making. A history of name making that is full of abstractions no one really fully understands. Let's take a look, shall we?

Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom - What the hell is a Nintendo and what the hell is a Famicom?
Super Nintendo / Super Famicom - Super? This name screams corn.
Gameboy - Alright, we have a better idea of what the thing does, but, Gameboy? Common! HOW CHILDISH ZOMG.
Nintendo 64 - 64? Uhhh, the first thing you want to avoid in names is strange abstractions, by the logic of people that hate the Wii name.
GameCube - Now we a name that gives us a good idea of what it does and what it is. Good thing the name of this particular product lead to it's great sucess, right?
Gameboy Advance - Childish advancement.
Nintendo DS - Terrible name, sounds like what they would name a printer or something.
"we all no the revolutions gonna be worse than 360 and ps3 but hey its cheaper and i dont even think im gonna get any of them because i dont waste 400 bucks on sum crap that destroys your brain and cuts away from you guitar playing time!!!!!!!!!"

-A Review of the Wii by Cheese from Amazon dot

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 27, 2006, 06:53:01 PM »
"wii has personality"

how? drop the jokes, then drop the "we" reference because people outside english speaking countries wont get it. whats left that has personality? its pretty empty, it doesnt mean anything, maybe a sound, thats all I can come up with.

You people were born hearing the word "we" and "wee" plenty, it makes sense to you in some way, be it good or bad, but it doesnt make sense to me at all, its not appealing or interesting, its like naming something "ee" or "oo".

I need that explanation that they supposedly will give at E3, because its killing me to know why they came up with such an empty name, and how the obvious jokes that they knew were coming will be outweighted by the real reason.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #242 on: April 27, 2006, 06:53:36 PM »

Wii      
This area is for discussion and speculation about Nintendo's next-generation console, named Wii.

I don't know if this bodes well for the name, but I couldn't help laughing when I read this.

Anyway. Alot of people are saying that, because everyone liked revolution, and no one likes wii, Nintendo should change the name back to Revolution. So let me be the first to say wii is a better name than revolution.

I like the name 'Revolution'. But it isn't a very good name marketing-wise. It's too long. It's too generic. But worst of all, it describes what the system is intended to do in the marketplace instead of what, you know, it actually does.

...That last point may not seem like a big deal, but, imagine marketing the name. You'd have to use advertisments like 'a revolution in gaming'. This sucks because it wastes time that should be going towards explaing the system. But more importantly, saying the system will 'revolutionize' the game industry is comparitive, and non-gamers, the people who Nintendo wants to court, could care less about how the system compares to what the game industry has done previously. The wii machine will be completley new to them, and the name should reflect that.

People (Ian) are saying the name sucks because it makes no sense. Of course it doesn't make sense! It's describing something new and alien: an entertainment machine that you control through hand movements. It's a new word for a new concept. Imagine how well Tivo would have done if they had decide to name it 'VCR Advance' or something. Sometimes, you can't prop yourself up with a prexisting brand name or concept.

People are saying the name sucks because the name can mean pee, small, or yes, if you are in kindergarten, are Scottish, or are French, respectively. Fine. Maybe Nintendo made a mistake when they came....oh wait, sorry, did I say Nintendo came? Whoops!

Originally posted by: eljefe

The best part is all the entertaining reactions by people on the web
like this:

Laughing with me not at me I hope  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 27, 2006, 06:55:46 PM »
People who have been spouting off crap about Nintendo becoming mature and generic have been hit right in the face with a nice bag of reality.

As Reggie would say "We're not that company."

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 27, 2006, 06:57:12 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario How the flying crap did you come to that conclusion? This says gaming more than any other name, fun and simple. It's not a freaking generic box.

I think the GAMEcube did a much better job. Like I said, "wii" reads like some off-brand German sound system or car. How do you figure "wii" sounds like a gaming console at all?

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation The Wii is its own marketing campaign.  It has to be both at once, Nintendo's success relies on the fact that people know what the console does.

How exactly do you derive "motion sensing wireless controller" from "wee"?

At least "Revolution" immediately presents the potential buyer with an image of what the console aims to accomplish.  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 27, 2006, 07:01:11 PM »
wandering: it doesnt sound alien, "cuthlu" sounds alien, "weerbash" sounds alien yeah I just made it up, this just "sounds".

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 27, 2006, 07:02:20 PM »
I'm glad wandering has something refreshing to say about Wii.

I never said I loved the name, but it was getting wearying to hear all the negativity.

I was thinking about how game systems imply gaming or playing (Game Boy/PlayStation) or sound like cars (Jaguar/Saturn).  Yawn.  "Wii" isn't a name I'd come up with, but as you can see, it's stirred up a lot of attention already.  Negative attention is still attention, and if Nintendo has an awesome showing at E3 as is expected, you'll all want a Wii this year regardless of the name.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #247 on: April 27, 2006, 07:03:22 PM »

New name for new concept! I just went over this.

At least "Revolution" immediately presents the potential buyer with an image of what the console aims to accomplish.

No it doesn't! 'Revolution' has nothing to do with motion sensing. It evokes other things and therefore distracts from what the Wii actually does.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline obscureownership

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 27, 2006, 07:05:55 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering

New name for new concept! I just went over this.

No it doesn't! 'Revolution' has nothing to do with motion sensing. It evokes other things and therefore distracts from what the Wii actually does.

I'll have to agree with you on that one, the concept of a Revolution may only be popular in the United States, where we have romanticized ideologies on the word.

"we all no the revolutions gonna be worse than 360 and ps3 but hey its cheaper and i dont even think im gonna get any of them because i dont waste 400 bucks on sum crap that destroys your brain and cuts away from you guitar playing time!!!!!!!!!"

-A Review of the Wii by Cheese from Amazon dot

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 27, 2006, 07:11:18 PM »
Sheesh, so many posts to read!

Ok, one thing I've noticed is that most of you are still labeling Wii as a name, it is not a name, it is just like PS3 or XBox360, it is there only for show, unless you like to stare at the logo more than you play and try to act cool.

Some of you have mentioned how awkward you feel in using Wii when telling someone what the new Nintendo system is called, I didn't have that problem, I said "it's Wii", "we?" he said, "no Wii as in a W and 2 i's, the i's represent the controllers and players at the same time" I said.

One more note, I see PS3 or Xbox360 as a very flat and unimaginative representation of their systems. Wii trys to show more than what it appears and that from me is given some due Kudos!