Author Topic: Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii  (Read 76037 times)

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2006, 10:15:55 AM »
Am I the only one here old enough to remember the "with a name like Smuckers, it has to be good" commercials?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2006, 10:16:00 AM »
I like to say that anybody who thinks that Iwata is smoking Miyomato's stuff is wrong.

Miyomato's stuff is normally good, real good.

Edit:  Yeah but "Smuckers" is a play on Smacking your lips.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2006, 10:18:44 AM »
A name like this gets people talking, even if it's negative. So all these people who go "lets look at that Wii... I bet it's going to be so lame" come away with "wow... it can do all that?"

Offline Fro

• View Profile
RE:Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2006, 10:19:45 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
I wondering if they're try to relate this to Roman numerals at all.  M is 1000.  Turn it upside down and you have a W.  V is 5.  Put two of them next to eachother and you have a W.  I think we all know that I is 1.

Who needs a PS3 or an Xbox 360 when I have a Nintendo 1002?!?

You could probably count systems in a way so that VVII is the 12th Nintendo video game machine released in Japan.

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2006, 10:22:21 AM »
paladin is the only one any making sense here..

even I haven't made any sense, because I'm still taking it seriously

I would pay to see Nintendo HQ
they must be rolling (reading all this)  
..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2006, 10:22:28 AM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz
Idea: what if the external of the Wii is clear plastic with some sort of color changing dye on the inside... maybe something where you could insert a dye pill and change the system's color at will.

Kid: Grampa Grampa, guess what? I got a pill and it turned my Wii orange
Grandfather (thoughtfully): Don't worry lad, I had that happen to me once when I had bacterial meningitis... it goes away in a few weeks.

{just dying to squeeze bacterial meningitis into a video game commercial}

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

On another note, this is the way I see it, Nintendo is all about fun and in so they start giving us fun from the console's name.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2006, 10:23:24 AM »
Nintendo doesn't need to making unneccessary hurdles.

Also this looks like something the Baptists would fight against.  They ruin my life on a normal basis with there complaining and ruining of fun things.  For once I like to harness there power for my own purpose.  (No offense if your Baptist.  The people I like the institution as a whole meddles to much in my life as a non-baptist to like( I'm Lutheran and getting married by a Baptist pastor go figure, IYWTK).)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2006, 10:25:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Fro
You could probably count systems in a way so that VVII is the 12th Nintendo video game machine released in Japan.
Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Super Famicom, Game Boy Light, Game Boy Color, Virtual Boy, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Advance, GameCube, Game Boy Advance SP, DS, Game Boy Micro, DS Lite, Wii.

Nope, there were a lot more than 11 previous systems.  I think there might have been a few revisions of the Famicom, too.  

Maybe if you count all the hardware revisions and don't count any of the portables ....
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2006, 10:29:54 AM »
correction

paladin isn't the only one

caliban and jasonditz "get it" too

also words of wisdom from Rollin of Infendo fame:

...It's a fun name to make fun of. The reason most are reacting the way they are is because they care so damn much about what the Sony and MS fans think. Shut your fanboy brain down and realize that the experience is what matters and the name isn't stupid....Just because the system isn't black and the name isn't the N5 you don't think it's cool. Stop worrying about what Xbots and Sony fans think of you. They're not gonna play the Rev for you. You are. If it kills you this much, don't buy the thing. Obviously that's what you really cared about all along.

..I really don't see much of an issue with anyone calling it Wii and giggling. It'll be a joke, nothing more. They'll still buy it. Let the other consoles' fans ridicule. They can make fun all they want, but they won't be able to have fun unless they embrace the Wii and buy one. Every moment they spend making fun of Wii will be time spent not having fun with their own consoles.

..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2006, 10:30:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Fro
Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Super Famicom, GameBoy Color, Virtual Boy, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Advance, GameCube, Game Boy Advance SP, DS, Game Boy Micro, DS Lite wii.

Nope, there were a lot more than 11 previous consoles.  I think there might have been a few revisions of the Famicom, too.

I would change the SP and put G&W instead.....otherwise, wii would have to count every revision (Famicom AV, DSLite, ect)
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2006, 10:40:06 AM »
One thing is for sure: Nintendo is having no problem getting the new name out to the masses.  I thought switching the name from Revolution this late in the game might be difficult.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2006, 10:40:10 AM »
I didn't realize how funny that announcements sounds.

"..its all about Wii(wee)."

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »
oh shi-....i've actually started liking the name too...

I was on 1up and saw the news post about "Madden NFL Headed to Wii" and it made me think about Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei.  I like the name now! Nuuu
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2006, 10:52:56 AM »
It's a very visually appealing name as I said.

Seeing it is liking it.
Hear it is hating it.
Saying it is laughing about it.

1 out of 3 really is just not that good.  Unless we go around calling it

"The Console Whose Name Shall Not be Spoken"

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2006, 10:57:29 AM »
Sorry, that counts as 2 out of 3 unless you hate laughing.

Your loss, I guess.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2006, 10:57:30 AM »
Oh Noes!!  TalkBalk ate the Wii thread!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2006, 10:58:55 AM »
Hmm...
Wii = 23, 9, 9
23 + 9 + 9 = 41
4 + 1 = 5

Nintendo Wii = Nintendo's 5th Console!

I know I'm grasping at straws here, I just can't accept that Nintendo would do something as stupid as naming their console the 'Wii'
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2006, 11:00:14 AM »
I hope nintendo listens to its fans on this one.

Iwata, Reggie, any of you, if you can hear this, for the love of God change the name back to Revolution if you want ANY mainstream acceptance.

Everything else about the Rev was great, but this...
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2006, 11:01:22 AM »
remember how WWF changed their name to WWE, and it completely tanked in popularity?

Get the F out!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2006, 11:02:32 AM »

Oh Noes!!  TalkBalk ate the Wii thread!

i was going to ask what happened to that thread.....

so, what happened? oO
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2006, 11:02:49 AM »
I don't like laughing in a serious discussion or when I'm trying to convince my Wife that I need to buy one of these and games or when I'm trying to convince someone to try something.

Also Perrin Kaplan says they were going to explain the process that they used to come up with this name.

They explained the reason but I see no explanation of the process.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2006, 11:06:42 AM »

Originally posted by: eljefe

...It's a fun name to make fun of. The reason most are reacting the way they are is because they care so damn much about what the Sony and MS fans think. Shut your fanboy brain down and realize that the experience is what matters and the name isn't stupid....Just because the system isn't black and the name isn't the N5 you don't think it's cool. Stop worrying about what Xbots and Sony fans think of you. They're not gonna play the Rev for you. You are. If it kills you this much, don't buy the thing. Obviously that's what you really cared about all along.

..I really don't see much of an issue with anyone calling it Wii and giggling. It'll be a joke, nothing more. They'll still buy it. Let the other consoles' fans ridicule. They can make fun all they want, but they won't be able to have fun unless they embrace the Wii and buy one. Every moment they spend making fun of Wii will be time spent not having fun with their own consoles.

The problem with this logic is that he assumes that people will still buy it who aren't Nintendo fans. If only Nintendo fans buy it, it'll likely do worse than the GC.

If the Wii sells poorly, it won't get developer support down the line and it'll be the GC all over again.

The name Revolution was excellent. The name promised what the console would do: revolutionize gaming. "Wii" is a sh*tty, worthless name which has no meaning to anyone aside from being a baby-talk synonym for urine or male genitalia.

Nintendo is going to have a hard enough time pushing the concept. They don't need to saddle it with the ga yest name ever to add to the load it has to carry.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2006, 11:09:44 AM »
Smash_Brother, your posts are losing their reasonable edge.  Just sounds like whining now.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2006, 11:15:24 AM »
Here is a question that is going to start bugging me;
What the hell were the other choices for names?
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2006, 11:16:40 AM »
It's the NEW, the Nintendo Entertainment Wii.  It's NEW, it's hip, it's tiku tiku tiku! , it's ipoddish.  

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
No, Wiiiiiiiiiiiii
Ahhhhhwhwwww.
No, round your mouth but smaller, then put your teeth together and smile and say it.
Ooooowwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!