Author Topic: Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii  (Read 76034 times)

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 08:07:44 AM »
wii doesnt mean anything here in Colombia, in spanish, but trust me, it still sounds stupid.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline RiskyChris

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 08:09:05 AM »
I agree with Ian Sane today.  This name is ridiculous.  What the fekk do they expect me to do, walk into EB and say "Can I put money on a wii?"

Jesus christ.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 08:12:42 AM »
AND there trying to get the Non gamer market.  In the end the true hardcore won't care what it's called.  But the 99% of other people in the world will.

I sent an e-mail to Nintendo stating my opinion. (I know one won't do much but many will)

I know what they were thing with "We" but they must understand "We" is never used alone but "Wee" is a standalone word and is the assumed meaning when "We" is said with no sentence.

I just went around my office asking if you would buy something name "Wii"  They laughed and were flabbergasted something be named like this.  They wouldn't buy it off the name alone.

It's ok if a name is just weird but all the bad connotations and easy jokes associated with this name is inexcusable.

They probably thought they were being clever.

Just change it to Wifi so you don't have to really change the Logo.

Wii is just not that great of a name no matter how you slice it.

My Challenge to you brave souls is to somehow convince me, someone who wants to like the name, to like the name.

Help me see the light.

The "we" stuff Nintendo gave us is just is not cutting it.

If no one can convince me then what do you think the masses will be like?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 08:13:44 AM »
I just realized something.  Xbox 360 is not the stupidest name for this generation.  Who would have thought that?

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
RE:Revolution no more-Nintendo Wii
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 08:13:53 AM »
Nintendo continues to solidy the IDENTITY of their console.

This is beautiful

Some people might say:

" this will not work...do they know what this means in English???"
"They MUST change it for the Northamericans' market"

when will you all realize Nintendo's focus is not USA?

They are global. The name of the new console reflects that. Anyone who speaks anothe language will understand.

And, also, this will affect sales. But it will affect sales "positively". Do you think Nintendo left out High-Definition capabilities, radically changed the input device, and gave this name on accident?

No. They are fully aware that these things WILL ALIENATE SOME PEOPLE. Its okay, those are the people that Nintendo WANTS to alienate. Do they want money from everyones wallet? Sure, but is that possible? No.

This is all marketing. They are defining their customers by defining the brand image. And, whether you like it personally or not, you must admit that the Wii has a brand that is very powerful.

Love/Hate

It either one or the other (with a good brand).

..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 08:16:33 AM »
I still think it's a joke on all of us, and I do really not mind the name.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 08:17:21 AM »
eljefe:  But the majority of the world at least know rudimentary english and wee, weak, WW:II, and like are part of Rudimentary English whether we like it or not.

Edit: now and know.  It seems I'm in the part that doesn't speak rudimentary english...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 08:18:01 AM »
Hahah. I love the name, it's so stupid and awkward and embarrassing to everyone else that it now has a special place in my heart.

Of course now the Wiimote is much more obviously phallic than before.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2006, 08:19:09 AM »
...so Nintendo did shed their kitty image.  O,o
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2006, 08:20:16 AM »

Some people might say:

" this will not work...do they know what this means in English???"
"They MUST change it for the Northamericans' market"

when will you all realize Nintendo's focus is not USA?

You are aware the US is the biggest market right?  Throw into the equation other English speaking countries, and you just about made a fool of yourself.  The bottom line is not what you or I think.  All of us here will buy Wii.  The problem is Nintendo trying to expand it's market.  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2006, 08:20:50 AM »
"when will you all realize Nintendo's focus is not USA?

They are global. The name of the new console reflects that. Anyone who speaks anothe language will understand."

Global doesn't mean excluding English speaking countries.  Nintendo isn't global, they're Japanese.

The only people in North America who I think will tolerate such a name are hardcore gamers.  They'll buy a console regardless of the name if the games are good.  But that is the exact opposite of who Nintendo is trying to target.  They want this to be a very mainstream console, the most mainstream console ever made.  So it can't have a name that shallow American consumers will be turned off by.

I suggest they change the name to Wiim as in "whim".  That's a neutral word and they can take their logo and make it so that the last two letters are the 'w' and 'i' upsidedown.  Clever logo, international friendly name, doesn't turn off American consumers.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2006, 08:21:39 AM »
I didn't even think of that yet PaLaDiN.  Also I just realized you name is probably a play off of NiGHTs.  That is funny.  It's like Hello Kitty "Shoulder Messagers."

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2006, 08:22:07 AM »
I hate to post again, but...

Don't you see?

THIS IS A PUBLICITY STUNT

Wii is the real name, but they are being very strategic (with their timing).

What is the last news you've heard about PS3?

Exactly

The Nintendo HypeMachine has officially hit the road. And everyone is on the bandwagon.

Every news company is reporting this...
Every videogame blog/forum/ and website is talking about...

And this is just the beginning. This will carry on until, during, and after E3.

My goodness, Nintendo are genii  
..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2006, 08:23:15 AM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
Of course now the Wiimote....
Rats.  You beat me to it.  I could learn to accept this name, but I'm hopeful that a large, sudden, and very negative backlash will convince them to change it.  As I recall, NOA stood up to NCL when they wanted to call the Dolphin "Starcube."  I have to wonder if they put up a fight this time.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2006, 08:23:42 AM »
It's only genius if the name is code for something else which will be revealed at E3.  Then we can say, 'they got us' and 'great PR move'.  Frankly, I hope that's what it is.  Even Nintendo can't think this sounds good.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2006, 08:24:40 AM »
but...couldn't they have picked a better name

PNes was more suitable
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2006, 08:25:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
I still think it's a joke on all of us, and I do really not mind the name.

Hahaha, that's what i'm leaning towards right now, as a possibility at least. Nintendo are giving people something to talk about for 2 weeks before E3. Actually, this was announced exactly 12 days before E3, to the same hour.

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
Hahah. I love the name, it's so stupid and awkward and embarrassing to everyone else that it now has a special place in my heart.

That sums up my thoughts about it nicely.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2006, 08:26:24 AM »
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/reggieloution/

GO.  GO NOW, F******.

NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2006, 08:26:29 AM »
Ok. Its a freaking name...it means nothing.

Like Xbox 360 is a good name.  The 360 means nothing.

Like Playstation 3 is an imaginative name.

Nintendo Wii is creative.  It is a name that is more a symbol then a name.  The question isn't how you pronounce it.  The question is how you view the image.  Also I am curious if this means something more in Japanese or another language.  Perhaps we are just judging it with our American eyes and mind.

If you take the press announcement away from it.  And you stop thinking about how to pronounce it.  I really like the LOOK of the name.

Nintendo Wii

or

Nintendo wii

looks cool.  Its modern and abstract.  Its nontraditional, nonconformist cool.

I like the name.  I probably will more just refer to the system in conversation as "That's the new Nintendo."  But I am not going to hate a system because of a name.

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2006, 08:27:29 AM »
That name is complete TRASH. Why dont they change the name like they did with the famicon.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2006, 08:29:57 AM »
this is a joke, right?? RIGHT??

T_T
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2006, 08:31:51 AM »

Ok. Its a freaking name...it means nothing.

Okay.  And you're completely clueless if you believe that.

like the name. I probably will more just refer to the system in conversation as "That's the new Nintendo." But I am not going to hate a system because of a name.

Then why not refer to it as the Wii if the name doesn't bother you in the slightest?  Yeah, exactly.

And nobody hates the system.  Just the name.  I'm fairly certain everyone on these boards will buy one.

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2006, 08:32:11 AM »
yeah, yeah, yeah

I know USA is the biggest market. I live here.

Basically, I'm just kinda speaking on behalf of Nintendo. I have no idea if there plan will work (by them not focusing on the US/EURO markets)

I feel like they are talking to ME when they make decisions like this. I just hope, and they are banking on the fact that, there are enough crazy people out there like me who will support them.

As long as the Wii exists long enough for me to get the launch games (before its discontinued) I'll be OK.

I have to get this at launch, now.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2006, 08:33:27 AM »

As long as the Wii exists long enough for me to get the launch games (before its discontinued) I'll be OK.

I have to get this at launch, now.

I'm sure everyone will buy it regardless.  But the name is pretty bad, as much as I wish it weren't.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2006, 08:36:00 AM »
Im with Spak in that I love the way it looks as a symbol. I think it looks really cool actualy. But at the same time Americans are going to have a field day with this because of how it is pronounced. Then again, I actualy think it can be marketed right. Something along the lines of "wii are coming for you" or something of that nature. It would seem eaiser to advertise the entire thing rather than just say its name, but thats where I think some back lash will kick in.

How in the heck will Reggie explain this to us, I mean really, what is he going to say about it? But you know what, if anyone can explain it right and make it cool, its him. Right?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn