Author Topic: Rumour: Nunchuck to have Dual 3D motion sensing  (Read 23664 times)

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
RE:Rumour: Nunchuck to have Dual 3D motion sensing
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2006, 08:48:15 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
I know I shouldn't be thinking this, but with dual motion sensing and possible dual rumble, does anyone see a sequel to Rez coming out?

Or if you care to throw your mind even deeper into the gutter, something much much more perverse?

interesting, but I can't see how a Rez2 would use the motion sensng in an original/innovative way :S....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Rumour: Nunchuck to have Dual 3D motion sensing
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2006, 01:24:54 PM »
From the GameInformer interview about the Wii name:

"GI:  It's been rumored that the new big Revolution secret is the fact that the nun chuck controller is also motion detecting…

Atwood (Nintendo Rep): ...We’d say that if that’s the only secret you’re expecting you're going to be very surprised."

So it sounds like even if this is true, but there's still more to be revealed.  Interesting!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2006, 01:30:56 PM »
Wow.

It's funny, you know.

I was right. My mockup I mean. I was right.

Two-part controller with motion sensing capabilities in BOTH.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2006, 01:35:56 PM »
Yeah, and Nintendorks was right too...therefore, all the doubters on this thread can SUCK IT.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2006, 07:23:51 PM »
Are we officially calling it the Wiimote now?

It's a Wiimote Contwol

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2006, 04:55:30 PM »
From IGN's new Madden Wii (hehe) interview.  

"IGN Wii: Does you use the trigger buttons on the nunchuck unit?

John Schappert: You know, the buttons are all still being mapped out. It does use the trigger buttons right now. I don't know how much we'll have locked in for you at E3 because we are still working on the final button layout, but it does use the trigger buttons,  and it does use the accelerometer in the nunchuck unit as well for juking."

Seems like a reliable source to me.  I have to say this is good for the hardcore crowd.  It would seem to be a plus because it doesn't sound you wouldn't need that second remote for say a boxing game.

Also

"IGN Wii: Are you going to be using any force-feedback when you're throwing the ball or when you're getting hit, or anything like that?

John Schappert: Yes, we are. I think it's a little early to talk about how. "

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/703/703727p2.html    

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2006, 07:05:43 PM »
triplex, you missed a key statement there..

IGN Wii: ...Could you just for clarification purposes give us an idea of how a typical play might work using the controllers?

John Schappert: So, you take the controller, jerk it up to snap. Quarterback now has the ball. Your passing icons are now up. Take the wand controller and you'll see that the four directions on its D-Pad represent four of your receivers; the A button is your fifth receiver. Point to one of those receivers that you want to receive the ball and with your hand gesture a throwing motion to pass. Now, the harder you throw, the more that's going to be a bullet pass. The softer and the more you lob a throw, the more that it's going to be a lob. When you receive the ball, you run with the analog stick on the nunchuck and if you want to juke, you use the nunchuck to gesture it. And if you want to stiff-arm, you use the wand.

..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2006, 07:41:46 PM »
There certainly is alot of impressive sounding controls in the new Madden Wii game.  

However I was just reporting that this seemingly reliable interview (EA and IGN) revealed some new functionality of the remote and nunchuk that hasn't been reported before from a reliable source.  I wasn't trying to highlight the various controls in Madden.  That's why I put it in this thread.  I did link the article tho

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2006, 08:43:42 PM »
cool

no harm meant

this is one of the finest interviews
ever

you could really feel that guys enthusiasm for games, and Wii games in particular.
..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2006, 11:30:16 PM »
That Madden interview is excellent!  Knowing that the anolog has an accelerometer is just another thing to get me excited about...I mean I was doubting it heavily and now boom its confirmed!  I like how they talked about juking by moving the anolog controller left or right, along with a lot of the other play mechanics explaination.

Offline attackslug

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2006, 05:58:41 AM »
Wow, I can only imagine how well this will work for an FPS/3rd Person shooter setup, assuming that it can sense left-right as well as up-down motion...
Quick-dodging, jumping, ducking, and maybe even strafing can be taken care of all without the use of buttons.This truly can isolate all character movement to the nunchaku and all hand/viewpoint movement to the FHC.
I can't wait to see other, actually CREATIVE uses for the accelerometer functionality, but it seems that just like the entire nunchaku add-on, it was designed with western game design in mind.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2006, 06:46:27 AM »
What on earth is an accelerometer? Whatever it is, it doesn't sound even remotely similar to "full 3D motion detection."
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2006, 06:55:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo
What on earth is an accelerometer? Whatever it is, it doesn't sound even remotely similar to "full 3D motion detection."

Besides being constantly rude, are you not familiar with Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerometer

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2006, 07:26:24 AM »
So it isn't the same thing that's in the main controller.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2006, 09:07:56 AM »
Yeah the way I understand it is basically the nunchuk has the same tilting/gesture functionality that the remote has.  It just doesn't have the pointing technology.  

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2006, 09:30:05 AM »
Can somebody please tell me what they mean by pointing technology? I still can't get exactly what the Wiimote can do in my mind's eye. It's not a laser gun, it shouldn't be able to point directly at the TV because the Wii has no idea how big the TV is.

I personally think the nunchuck can sense tilting and movement but it cannot record position as in the Wiimote.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2006, 09:40:57 AM »
You aim the remote at the screen just like you would a gun or a laser pointer or a light gun.  The sensor bar is needed to determine exactly where you are aiming on the screen.  (It calculates position relative to the bar which is combined with the tilt positioning of your controller.)   I'm sure there will be some kind of one-time calibration needed in order for the remote to work with your specific sized TV.  Anyway that's what I mean by pointing technology.  

Afawk the nunchuk doesn't have this ability to 'point' at the screen like  a laser pointer.

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2006, 10:26:53 AM »
It all is pretty confusing.  The way I understand it is that the remote uses GYROS to record the its oriented (tilt, roll, spin, etc).  The big mystery is how it records where the controller is in 3D space.  I think that it uses triangulation of some sort and I don't think the controller has to be pointing at the TV.  The sensor on the end of the remote might just allow for the signal to be more clearly broadcast or perhaps it adds even more funtionality of a pointing feature whereas if you do point at the TV it can become even more accurate for such tasks as drawing, etc.  

From what I know about accelerometers, the analog attachment will be able to detect any type of acceleration (movement) in the attachment.  I doubt, unless it has gyros,  it won't be able to detect the orientation of the analog attachment (you could face it backward and it wouldn't matter).  I wonder if they will  include tilting sensors like in Kirby's Tilt and Roll to also record tilt?  It wouldn't be as accurate as the remote obviously, but it would allow for some tilting recognition still.  Even if it is "only" the accelerometer I won't mind because what they are doing is already pretty insane IMO.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2006, 10:46:05 AM »

Originally posted by: trip1eX
You aim the remote at the screen just like you would a gun or a laser pointer or a light gun.  The sensor bar is needed to determine exactly where you are aiming on the screen.  (It calculates position relative to the bar which is combined with the tilt positioning of your controller.)   I'm sure there will be some kind of one-time calibration needed in order for the remote to work with your specific sized TV.  Anyway that's what I mean by pointing technology.  

No.

The game engine has a 0 point, this is where the controller begins. What it measures is movement. If moves in regards to the 0 point. The sensor bar doesn't ready where the wiimote is pointing, it reads motion. The difference between the nunchaku and the wiimote is that the nunchaku just reads in general, aka left, right up dow, whereas the wiimote can tell how far, how fast, etc (I'm sure the nunchaku can also read a fast vs. slow movement, though).

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2006, 12:31:14 PM »
That does not make sense. I have mentioned this on the related talkback thread ( http://www.planetgamecube.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=15745&STARTPAGE=2 ). I agree that it sounds like nunchuk will not have position sensing, and therefore all of its reading will be relative to whatever the game engine decides is the zero-point (whenever the game starts/whenever a nunchuk using part of the game starts). On the other hand, Nintendo has mentioned the sensor bar and the ability to point at objects on the screen, implying the revmote has the capability for absolute position/tilt/roll/yaw sensing (absolute tilt/roll/yaw sensing might actually be done by a gyroscope instead). In order to do pointing (like in Red Steel), the revmote must be somehow calibrated to the TV. The sensor bar may have some way to do this automatically (light sensor/camera + flashing lights when rev turns on?), but it has to occur.

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2006, 12:59:25 PM »
The acceleration the nunckuck detects is mostly gravity.  So it will be rotation sensitive like Kirby Tilt & Tumble or Wario Ware Twisted.   The sensor bar is to detect the positon of the Wiimote in 3D space.

You will be able to "point" with either device, just like you can point a Gyration mouse without a sensor bar.

I could be wrong on the specifics of how it works, but it seems that the nunchuck and Wiimote will sense rotation, but the Wiimote will know its XYZ position relative to the sensor bar

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2006, 01:30:19 PM »

Originally posted by: AnyoneEB
That does not make sense. I have mentioned this on the related talkback thread ( http://www.planetgamecube.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=15745&STARTPAGE=2 ). I agree that it sounds like nunchuk will not have position sensing, and therefore all of its reading will be relative to whatever the game engine decides is the zero-point (whenever the game starts/whenever a nunchuk using part of the game starts). On the other hand, Nintendo has mentioned the sensor bar and the ability to point at objects on the screen, implying the revmote has the capability for absolute position/tilt/roll/yaw sensing (absolute tilt/roll/yaw sensing might actually be done by a gyroscope instead). In order to do pointing (like in Red Steel), the revmote must be somehow calibrated to the TV. The sensor bar may have some way to do this automatically (light sensor/camera + flashing lights when rev turns on?), but it has to occur.

I'm 99.9% sure the sensor isn't sensing where on the TV the Wiimote is pointing. To do that you'd need variable sensor sizes, which makes no sense. There is no actual pointing ability like a laser pointer, I don't think. Like in RS you'd be move the crosshairs, and that's how you 'point'. I assume the slower you move the less the crosshairs move. Remember, some demos are taking place without the sensor bar, because the controller can sense the general motions by itself.

Though, really, no one actually knows how it works. On the WiiPodcast from IGN they discussed it briefly too, and no one knew exactly what it did. They talked as if it might have a wire though! Surely not. That would be a complete and utter disaster, and totally go against the point of a wireless. I guess we'll know soon?  

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2006, 01:54:30 PM »

I'm 99.9% sure the sensor isn't sensing where on the TV the Wiimote is pointing.

I believe you are correct...too bad I can't recall from where I heard such a thing.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2006, 04:50:44 PM »
Where have you guys been?  :P

1up.com  9/15/05

"DEMO: BLOCK BUSTER
A firing-range-like contest where two players compete to see who can shoot randomly appearing squares first. Aiming is done by pointing the controller itself at different points on screen, pulling the B trigger to fire.

IMPRESSIONS: A great demonstration of how intuitive the controller can be-pointing it to aim felt perfectly natural, right from the very first second, just like with a light gun. It always shot exactly where it felt like I was aiming, and was incredibly responsive to even slight wrist movements-I barely had to move my hand at all."

GI Red Steel Ubisoft interview

"Aiming with the controller is as simple as using a laser pointer. You point your hand at a target and hit the trigger on the underside of the controller to fire "

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2006, 05:09:37 PM »
I said it isn't sensing where the remote is pointing, not that you can't point with it. But really, who knows?