Author Topic: Rumour: Nunchuck to have Dual 3D motion sensing  (Read 23666 times)

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE: Rumour: Nunchuck to have Dual 3D motion sensing
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2006, 01:05:00 AM »
I think...eh....it would be a good move. Who thought dual analog would turn out to be a good idea? Devs might not be able to think of good uses for it right away, but eventually, I'm sure you'd have cool games where you control a vehicle with a combination of the analog stick and gyro control on the left, and weapon aiming on the right. Or something.

Also, as soon as Sony copies Nintendo's controller you know they're going to go for dual motion control, so it would be nice to future proof against that.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2006, 01:21:40 AM »
The bad thing about this is that if it's a replacement for using two remotes. Imagine playing drums with two completely different shaped drumsticks... too awkward.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2006, 10:21:54 AM »
I don't see how it's necessary.

I think it would be just as easy to hold two Revmotes, one in each hand, and the D-pads on each would be used for movement, lateral movement on the left, looking on the right. You wouldn't have the same precision as an analogue stick, but the dream of "dual wielding" would be a reality for many.

Yeah, it uses 2 controllers to do this, but IMHO, 4 player split screen is horrible unless you have a colossal TV, and with everything being online, it'll be far less of an issue.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006, 08:18:13 PM »
You know, I think motion-sensing in the nunchaku could be good for camera control. In third person games.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 05:30:18 AM »
I think that if it doesn't really raise the cost that more options are good.  It will be up to the developer to know which to use and not to use.  Nintendo proved they could do this with Mario Kart: DS  It doesn't use the touch screen for touch anything and the games better for it.  Having a feature doesn't mean that you must or should use that feature.

As for the confirmation that the Nunchuku is going to be part of the controller bundle.  I think that there has been no official confirmation but it has been strongly hinted at and implied that it is so.  Every revmote will come witha companion Nunchuku.  It was well received and I think Nintendo has sold that particular accesory well enough to make it the standard.  You never really see the controller without it after the initial teaser.

Now the shell on the other hand.  We all know that it has to come but Nintendo isn't giving any indication what-so-ever that its going to be included.  I, personally, predict that it will not be part of the bundle.  The Nunchuku was a concescion to developers already.  If I was Nintendo I would beleive that bundling the shell would just be defeating the point of all those research dollars I spent on this new controller.

While I'm on the subject of peripherals.  I do believe that seeing DDR at launch, even DDR: Mario Mix 2 (OMG a DDR with an actual good story mode :-O ),  or Guitar Hero would be plausible.  The Guitar and Dancepads would be wireless.  You just plug the Revmote into the head of the Dance pad or the Shaft of the Guitar.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
RE:Rumour: Nunchuck to have Dual 3D motion sensing
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 02:07:36 PM »
I think it's highly probable, at least, DBZ's official announcement seems to confirm it

Using the Nintendo Revolution controller, players will be able to mimic signature moves as they are performed in the Dragon Ball Z animated series, such as Goku(R)'s Kamehameha, moving both hands to execute this devastating energy attack.

how would you use both hands if one is lacking the sensing device?

DBZ official announcement
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 02:16:30 PM »
AMN is reporting it as fact, too.

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2006, 04:14:24 PM »
i read the article.  I might be wrong but didnt it say gyroscopic technology for force feedback.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2006, 04:28:16 PM »
okay i read a post from another site check it out below my post.

Basically the nunchaku attachment wont have the same motion sensing capabilities as the free hand.  things like tilt to reload will be functions of the attachment.

"Last week, a rumor hit the net claiming that the Nintendo Revolution’s nunchaku controller features a built-in acellerometer allowing it to sense it being tilted left or right, or being moved up, down, left, right and in a number of other directions as well.

Today, AMN has confirmed through a developer incredibly close to Nintendo that this rumor is in fact true. The nunchaku peripheral does feature this secondary function. However, we were also told that the nunchaku controller does not feature the same pointing and motion sensing abilities that allow the Revolution free-hand controller to be used like a “pointer” or “wand.”

One example we’ve come up to describe how this function will be useful in future software involves a first-person shooter, in which you use the free-hand controller to look around and aim, while you use the nunchaku controllers analog stick to move around and strafe. Most importantly, you’d be able to tilt the nunchaku controller to the left or right to reload your weapon.

More intriguing than all this, perhaps, our source told us that this “feature” of the nunchaku controller has been in their development kits since they first received them over six months ago. This raises the question, of course, is this the second big secret function of the Revolution controller? It could be. However, it’s odd that developers have had access to the feature and information all along, without ever being told to keep the information under wraps.

Nintendo Revolution will be in full playable form during the Electronic Entertainment Expo., which kicks off May 9, 2006 with Nintendo’s annual press briefing. AMN will be on hand at the event with full coverage"

http://revolution.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=6601

Note that the article says that the nunchuka WILL NOT have the same pointing capabilities of the remote, instead it will only sense tilting and probably motion sensing (up, down, forward, back, etc). But this is a good thing. Why? Because if it had the same pointing capabilities, it would just be too complicated to coordinate both hands! lol. Instead making simpler gestures with the nunchuka (pulling back, tilting) is far more acceptable and intuitive.

This makes sense for Red Steel. You tilt the nunchucka left and right to lean against walls, pull back on it to reload gun and push forward to push tables. So the remote will only be used to point, shoot, and twist to rotate the gun gangsta style, rather than reload with it and lean against walls with it (by twisting it) as was previosuly thought.

Curtesy of "flash man 2006"

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2006, 04:33:53 PM »
How can you have tilting and motion sensing without pointing capabilities?

The freehand can't point directly at a particular part of the TV. It's all relative. This makes no sense.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2006, 04:42:35 PM »
Tilting and sensing motion a la Warioware Twisted, I imagine.  I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, it's connected to the wand after all.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2006, 06:12:34 PM »
Chalk up another "this is fact" write up: http://revolution.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=6601

This can't possibly be the big secret Miyamoto said, right?  I hate to say it, but Ian is dead on - this is hardly anything big at all.

I'm hoping it isn't.

I'm also thinking, as I said earlier, that this is overkill and makes the game possibly difficult to control.

I guess we'll see.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2006, 06:36:40 PM »
Correct me if Im wrong, but Miyamoto said that the controller's features haven't been completly revealed, he never said that it was a big or important secret, so this might be it.

Iwata however, said at GDC that theres still one "big" secret left for the revolution as a whole console, of course, I really doubt its this.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2006, 07:52:16 PM »
The nun-chuck having a tilt sensor on it, as AMN reports, would be pretty useful. AMN's example is tilting the nunchuck left or right quickly to switch weapons in an FPS.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2006, 07:59:35 PM »
I just held my arms in what could be a typical position to hold the revmote and nunchuk, and what it really felt like was driving a stick shift. Perhaps this will enable the first driving game where I choose to play manual shift instead of auto. Could be sweet for all of the mentioned possibilities.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2006, 08:10:57 PM »
I know I shouldn't be thinking this, but with dual motion sensing and possible dual rumble, does anyone see a sequel to Rez coming out?

Or if you care to throw your mind even deeper into the gutter, something much much more perverse?

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2006, 08:11:36 PM »
Well, it did come with a vibrator after all.

$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2006, 08:15:50 PM »
They did say that the Rev controller could have lots of "attachments"

I see alot of unofficial 'AO' games that don't quite hit the public market if you know what I mean . sold in shops that you have to be 18 to even enter, and you would probably be too ashamed to even buy the game for the fear of someone you know walking into the store at the exact wrong moment, recognizing you and then asking you what you're buying.

Could be very embarassing, Niche market indeed. 30+ yr old house wives and mothers would be the target audience.

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2006, 08:20:30 PM »
That's ok.  I'll be sure to buy them all, test them out on your mom, and post my findings.

Good day, shopkeep!  I'll have one of your finest adults only Revolution add-ons!  And what the hell, a pack of Doublemint also.

$10 Bet with Khushrenada

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2006, 09:09:23 PM »
Sure seem to be a lot of hormones flying around the boards these days.

Doesn't it make you proud that fellow readers are going through puberty... they grow up so fast.

Anyway, this would be cool for double-controller games because you wouldn't necessarily need a second controller.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2006, 12:45:30 AM »
Hey, we're not the ones experimenting with women's clothing.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2006, 01:06:42 AM »
Guybrush Threepwood is the very picture of masculinity. Do not question this or the curse of Monkey Island shall befall you.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2006, 01:07:41 AM »
I doubt there will be a motion sensor in the nunchuk, it just seems like making things unnecessarily complicated.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2006, 01:11:45 AM »
Well, assuming this is true...

What's complicated about notching your left hand's nunchuck to the left once to move to the next weapon or move through a menu?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2006, 07:00:59 AM »
Remember when the analog L and R buttons on the GameCube controller were a big deal?  I admit this doesn't seem like much compared to what Nintendo has revealed so far, but if it's true it could prove to be a really cool feature.  If you can't figure out how, then wait and let Nintendo show you, baby!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX