Author Topic: Call of Duty 4  (Read 9314 times)

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Call of Duty 4
« on: November 07, 2007, 10:36:48 AM »
Just picked it up yesterday for the PS3. It's pretty sweet.  I played a couple hours of single player and just 1 match of team deathmatch online. The single player experience can be summerized by the word "frantic". No matter what's happening in the game there is almost always a hail of gunfire heading your way. There is very little down time.  Deaths by grenade are inevitable. The bad guys seem to find ways to throw grenades near you no matter where you're hiding.  The grenades are a little frustrating and sometimes seem pretty cheap. It really adds to the diffculty though. I only played 1 online match. I got slaughtered. No frags for me and 4 deaths. I guess practice makes perfect.

All in all, best COD games since the first one.
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Magik

• View Profile
RE: Call of Duty 4
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 12:45:30 PM »
Frantic is definitely a good way to describe COD4.  The single player mission is kind of short, but the frantic atmosphere makes it so satisfying.

Simply put, the game is fantastic.  

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:39:36 PM »
I played the beta religiously, and just got the actual game (360) yesterday. It's absolutely beautiful (never even thinks about dropping below 60FPS), and is just plain fun. Best (dual-analog) FPS ever.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Call of Duty 4
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 01:49:54 PM »
I'm getting it for PC, because I loved CoD 1 and 2 (didn't get three because I hate playing FPS on consoles).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
Do they sell maps so we can navigate through all the shooters released this fall?  The game sites are giving many of them good scores to.  Are these games doing new or unique things that deserve these high scores or have developers finally mastered the standard shooter formula that the media loves?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 07:37:24 PM »
Fresh coats of paint.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 08:28:18 PM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
Do they sell maps so we can navigate through all the shooters released this fall?  The game sites are giving many of them good scores to.  Are these games doing new or unique things that deserve these high scores or have developers finally mastered the standard shooter formula that the media loves?

Sadly I think it is that they have mastered a formula the media loves. Just look at what games have been given high scores. Halo 3, which isn't even close to perfect, with some of the most horrendous AI on planet earth, yet it still has people drooling over it because it has nailed the multiplayer FPS formula for consoles. Now there is CoD4 while it may be a very good game, cannot be that different from the others, heck it still maintains the linear nature of the series. Once again though, great scores across the board. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if you went through the review scores of FPS games you would find them to be inflated compared to most genres.

Really, as much as I don't like it, I think reviewers are more focused now on the visual presentation and how it "sucks" you into the experience, like you are in a living world, rather than being innovative and playing around with the gameplay. It is obvious the media eats that stuff up now, which is why a game like Mario Galaxy had a tough hill to climb, because its focus was on gameplay design, not trying to be as realistic as possible. Should be interesting to see what Crysis gets, because I have a feeling it will get good review scores as well, even though, from what I played the game is more "Wow look at the visuals and physics" then "What a unique experience".

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 06:17:51 AM »

Originally posted by: ryancoke
Just picked it up yesterday for the PS3. It's pretty sweet.  I played a couple hours of single player....
So how was the ending?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 07:36:22 AM »
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive in my mailbox, in the meantime I'm happy playing Portal and Team Fortress 2, I hope I get it before Galaxy because once Galaxy is out that is all I will play until the 20th'ish of November which is Mass Effect day for me.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 07:37:25 AM »
COD4 is actually pretty innovative though. You can call in chopper attacks (and control the chopper I believe), air strikes, sniff out explosives, and all of the "perks", such as martyrdom, last stand, juggernaut, etc. It's awesome, it actually improves quite a bit over any other FPS I've ever played. It's the Resident Evil 4 of Call of Duty games, if that makes any sense.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 08:58:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Brandogg
COD4 is actually pretty innovative though. You can call in chopper attacks (and control the chopper I believe), air strikes, sniff out explosives, and all of the "perks", such as martyrdom, last stand, juggernaut, etc. It's awesome, it actually improves quite a bit over any other FPS I've ever played. It's the Resident Evil 4 of Call of Duty games, if that makes any sense.

Sounds like more "realism" to me.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 09:45:53 AM »
Sounds like Battalion Wars for the niche casual action mainstream gamer.

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 08:22:56 AM »
After spending A LOT more time with the game over this weekend, COD4 is definitely a candidate to me for GOTY and is easily the best FPS at this moment surpassing both Halo 3 and TF2.  

People have complained that the single player was too short, around 6 hours is what a lot of reviewers were saying, but to me, it was the perfect length.  I personally can't see anybody beating it in 6 hours unless they are playing it on Easy and somehow avoids dying at all.

The Multi-player is definitely where this game shines.  It's simply fantastic.  The inclusion of RPG elements adds another layer of depth to an already deep multi-player experience.  All that's missing is the matchmaking quality found in Halo 3.

My only gripes with the game, besides the matchmaking being not as good as Halo 3, are issues with the single player campaign namely the infinite spawning enemies, until you trigger the next set of events, and secondly, the enemies ability to throw grenades with sick accuracy.

That said, Call of Duty 4 is a fantastic game.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 02:38:47 PM »
I've got a feeling that those "bad guys" in the middle east have a lot of experience throwing grenades and such.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 06:27:33 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Originally posted by: ryancoke
Just picked it up yesterday for the PS3. It's pretty sweet.  I played a couple hours of single player....
So how was the ending?

Yeah, it's a little on the short side. I just beat is this morning. Probably about 8 hours or play time to beat.  I got about the same enjoyment out of it as a 20 hour game though and now I have unlimited amounts of online beatdowns to look forward to.

spoiler: the nuclear explosion scene is one of the best cutscenes i've ever seen in a game. Combined with the death of your American character after the explosion was the highlight of the story for me.
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 08:45:57 AM »
I beat CoD4 and while it is a great game, it is NOT game of the year material, at least from what I gathered in single player. There is nothing really innovate in the game, extremely polished, yes but innovative, not really. It is a thrilling experience from beginning to end though, and quite cinematic though I'd recommend a rental over buying it, if you want a single player experience.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 11:19:17 AM »
If you want an awesome multiplayer experience, get it. Skip Halo 3.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 01:55:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
If you want an awesome multiplayer experience, get it. Skip Halo 3.

Better yet, get TF2!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 07:20:45 AM »
Actually I was going to mention TF2 but I thought it would be kind of off topic...anyway, I also have TF2, it's hilarious and has plenty of fun to be had, though if you don't like the cartoon style your best bet is CoD4.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 01:56:18 PM »
BUMP.  HI GUYS.

Alright, so I'm looking for a good online multiplayer shooter (that isn't TF2) and I hear talk that COD4 is, you know, pretty good.  I don't care about innovation or anything like that since I've never really owned a game like this before; I'm just looking for something solid and fun.  

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE.  Having never really spent a lot of time with an online FPS, I don't really know how the multiplayer works.  I realize there are 32 player matches and all that jazz, but I don't really care about that.  I want to be able to set up a simple four player deathmatch with only my friends.  Basically I want it to be just like playing a traditional offline multiplayer game....but, you know, online.  Can I do this, or will I be forced to play a silly little deathmatch with strangers and frown the whole time?
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 01:59:56 PM »
You can set up your own private match and invite your friends specifically for it.
I have the 360 version by the way, so I don't know how the PC version works.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Re: Call of Duty 4
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 11:19:08 AM »
I rented this and got almost every achievement (360 version)... I didn't get Mile High Club on veteran and I missed an intel somewhere, barf. But yeah, this game is pretty sweet. It's worth taking a look at to see how amazingly pretty and well-programmed it is. The single-player missions and story are pretty sweet, too.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 11:33:31 AM »
What's the damage model like?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
I rented this and got almost every achievement (360 version)... I didn't get Mile High Club on veteran and I missed an intel somewhere, barf. But yeah, this game is pretty sweet. It's worth taking a look at to see how amazingly pretty and well-programmed it is. The single-player missions and story are pretty sweet, too.
Good lord, man how quick were you on getting those 960 or so achievment points for this game? I wonder if you are able to just as quickly get 900+ achievments for TheOrangeBox, I'm having a hard time specially for TF2 (it's still loads of fun) and the Portal challenges which can be quite tedious i.e. the least number of steps to be taken challenges.
I played the first mission on CoD4, got that one achievment, and jumped right onto the online multiplayer matches. Lots of fun to be had there.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 07:58:30 PM »
The secret is that I'm really good at games

I'll give Orange Box a go if I rent/borrow it, otherwise I'm snagging the PC version when I get my new motherboard