Author Topic: The Planet GameCube 2004 Louie Awards Talkback Thread  (Read 9108 times)

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
The Planet GameCube 2004 Louie Awards Talkback Thread
« on: January 31, 2004, 10:24:57 AM »
Here is a place to discuss the PGC 2004 Louie Awards.

You can read the awards here.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:The Planet GameCube 2004 Louie Awards Talkback Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 10:33:12 AM »
Yes, these are pretty late, BUT we made it before the end of January.  Huzzah.  Big thanks to Obi for helping write up the feature.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: The Planet GameCube 2004 Louie Awards Talkback Thread
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 10:40:30 AM »
Nice job to all the staff on the awards.  Definitely worth reading.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 10:44:46 AM »
It seems I am still alone in my distaste for online gaming...

Still, great choices overall
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 11:22:47 AM »
I have to agree with Bill, except we're not alone. Look at some polls GameFAQs has had regarding online play:

A year from now, how much of your current gameplay time do you think will be spent online?
How much of your current gameplay time is spent online?
Have you ever paid to play an online game?
How important is online play when you consider buying your next console?
How important is online play when you consider buying games?
What percentage of the games you currently play are online?
How often do you play games online?
Have you played a console game online yet?

You get the general idea from those polls, and others like them, that the vast majority of gamers either care very little for online gaming or don't care for it at all. I guess the PGC staffers are the ones who are alone in being dissapointed at lack of such a feature for the Gamecube. Personally, I think the winner for the category of Biggest Dissapointment should have been the runner up, lack of any original or amusing connective games. I'm glad they didn't throw away money on online play, which would have failed anyway, especially on the Gamecube- if anything we should be HAPPY that Nintendo hasn't jumped into the murky waters of online games as Microsoft as. I feel more let down that they DID jump into the murky waters of connectivity promising pearls only to return with pebbles. Overall, though, I'm not real dissapointed by 2003 at all, and 2004 looks to be a very good year as well, if only because connectivity is starting to get some good use, finally.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004, 11:34:24 AM »
And so mouseclicker continues his crusade against online games...  I love how you CAN'T RESIST bringing up the same facts every time.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2004, 11:36:52 AM »
At least you recognize them as facts, Daniel. That's all I'll say on the subject, though- I've really got to stem this nasty habit of starting flame wars. :\
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2004, 12:05:52 PM »
nintendo would have been down right unstoppable if mg and ff released this year.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2004, 12:13:59 PM »
It is perfectly true that most people don't care about online gameplay.  Some may give it lip service, but they wouldn't actually bother trying it unless it was made free and very easy to set up, and maybe not even then.

But there is a small group of hardcore gamers, including many of us on the PGC staff, who are very interested in online play because we would actually use it.  Moreover, we think Nintendo can do a better job with implementing this feature than Sony or Microsoft, so we would like to see how the company would do it and what it could offer.  Then there's the simple fact that I'd much rather play Nintendo's games online than I would want to play Microsoft's games online.  That's because I think Nintendo's games are better.

Anyway, we don't pretend that these awards represent the opinions of even one of our readers.  They can only indicate what the PGC staff thinks, and I can promise that "Do you want online gaming on GameCube?" is not one of the questions on our staff application.  Is it coincidence that most of the staff wants GameCube to go online?  I doubt that.  Look, we're very hardcore and vocal gamers who obviously use the Internet a lot.  We also tend to be very aware of what's going on with the other systems, so it's natural that we see features they have and we don't and get jealous.  Some people on the staff actually feel just like you, mouseclicker, but maybe they just don't care to discuss their thoughts on the issue in the forums.  Regardless, the vote shows that the majority of our staff wants online games on GameCube, and that's all the vote shows.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2004, 12:16:51 PM »
Fair enough- conflicting opinions is the base of the dispute. In the end, though, I'd rather Nintendo not lose money to appeal to a select few hardcore gamers. I do agree that a model like one Sony has implemented would be better than doing nothing, but doing nothing is better than essentially burning money like Microsoft's plan.  

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2004, 12:37:04 PM »
Bah.  Wario World is still the real Most Disappointing game of 2003!
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2004, 12:39:41 PM »
I'd have have to disagree- I never really expected Wario World to be that good. With Rebel Strike, on the other hand, it never really crossed my mind it wasn't going to be awesome, until I actually played it. The flight levels are magnificent, as always, although getting repetitive. In the end, however, it was the foot missions that really dragged down the game- they were supposed to be what made Rebel Strike stand out from the series but instead just made us wish Factor 5 had stuck to the same formula.  

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2004, 12:42:31 PM »
i'd like to see games go online. FFCC would work great online, then you don't have to find people willing to come over so you can play together 4 Swords+ and PC would work great online too.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2004, 01:00:59 PM »
M_C, the polls are hardly evidence that people don't want to go online.  Most questions are phrased have you played or are you playing online games, not do you want to (and if you notice there rarely is a "I never want to play online games," option).  Since the questions ask if you are playing or have you played, especially on the gamecube, the answers will be negative.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2004, 01:09:12 PM »
Odifiend, don't try to dance around the polls- debating semantics is an idication you can't think of a better argument. How could you possibly interpret the results any other way? Those polls clearly show that most people either don't care much for online gaming or don't care for it at all- if the opposite were true, that would be reflected in the polls.

What REALLY pisses me off is my startlingly low resistance to  getting into arguments- Bloodworth called it perfectly.

Offline Cowface

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2004, 01:48:26 PM »
I give the Best Moment of 2003 Award to the entire period in which alexandhisteninchlink ran #planetchat and falsely accused people of hacking.

As for the Best Game Boy Advance Game Award, I think Fire Emblem should be on top of M&L. As much as I loved Mario & Luigi, it was much too short. M&L would have been a fine Runner-up, though. The same goes for Best Sound on the GameBoy Advance.

I highly agree with whoever said it that Wario World should have gotten the Most Disappointing Award.

There's more, but I'm too lazy to run through the Awards again and criticize the others.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2004, 01:56:58 PM »
Louie Awards?  Where's Louie....;_____;

Overall, pretty good choices with the games.  Except for that the biggest surprise is FREE KEVIN being banned and the biggest disappointment is Grey Ninja leaving, but oh well. =P  

The quotes section was rather lacking.......I expected something better out of Ty.  Maybe you guys should start quoting me (or swordsplay hhrhrhrhrrh).
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2004, 03:43:06 PM »
"I highly agree with whoever said it that Wario World should have gotten the Most Disappointing Award."

I thought True Crime was more disappointing in the classical sense of hype vs. actual product.  Wario World just existed.  Had an ad or two, no big deal.  True Crime was hyped to bejesus and back.  It should have won.

As for online, I didn't have Broadband all through 2003.  I'm sure any online effort would require it,  Yeah since I couldn't possibly enjoy any online thing from anybody (Except Starcraft heh heh) How the heck could it disappoint me?  The connectivity offerings in 2003 were substantial, but nothing to write home about.  Pacman Versus is great, but more is needed.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2004, 04:10:23 PM »
Dude, I'm not trying to get into an argument with you.  I agree that Nintendo is not ready for online (profitably) right now but pointing to the polls to say that many people think online is no good was bad on your part if you looked into the questions.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2004, 04:20:16 PM »
I think you're alone in that assumption (the polls were obviously worded to gauge interest in online play), but if you want to believe that, fine by me.

Offline GaimeGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2004, 04:21:17 PM »
I agree with cowface.   Fire Emblem was a wonderful epic of a game, with an engaging plot,  tons of replay value, a wonderful score, great battle animations, and satisfying strategic gameplay,  it has my vote for GotY on the GBA, and overall.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2004, 04:39:25 PM »
ACK!  BEST IMPORT 2003!!!

MADE IN WARIO GCN!!!

....sorry, I just love that game.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2004, 04:53:44 PM »
I think the "Import game of the year" award should go to a game that didn't get a domestic release. Yes, Viewtiful Joe is awsome, but it got released here, so giving it the award doesn't really make sense to me. For me, it'd go to "World Fighters" (come on...Optimus Prime vs Solid Snake, how much cooler can you get?)
And why the total omission of Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced? I've put 97 hours into that game, and I'm not tired of it yet, and though I could probably have beat it by now, I'm having too much fun with the game to finish it just yet. And this is just my first playthrough...not only would I have given it GBA game of the year, I'd give it "Best Handheld Game Ever" (yes, even over the original Game Boy version of Tetris). Mario and Luigi was great and all, but I didn't play it near constantly like I did FFTA.

As for online gaming, I could care less. I don't fancy paying extra monthly fees for a game after I've already paid 50 bucks for the disc, only to have some smart-ass AOL users trash talk me while using cheat codes to kill my character, and don't get me started on the joys of lagging and server crashes. I've never enjoyed an online experience in any game, for any system, so the online thing is a total non-issue for me. My most dissapointing moment was discovering Nintendo plans on making yet another system instead of focusing on GBA and Gamecube.
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2004, 04:55:25 PM »

Originally posted by: PaleZer0
ACK!  BEST IMPORT 2003!!!

MADE IN WARIO GCN!!!

....sorry, I just love that game.

I can't remember but I either voted for Joe or for this. Atsumare! Made in Wario is fantastic.

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2004, 04:56:11 PM »
M_C, I'll be the example.
Question 1: A year from now how much gameplay time will I spend online?
Answer 1: Zero. I'm interested but I only game with Nintendo and it sounds like their sticking to their guns.
Question 2: How much time do you play on now?
Answer 2: Zero. Again I'm interested but I only game with Nintendo.
? 3: Have you ever paid to play an online game?
A 3: No, I actually own PSO but didn't think hunting down a modem was worth the one game.
? 4: How important is online play when you consider buying your next console?
A 4: I would reply very important but not essential.
? 5: How important is online play when you consider buying games?
A 5: Right now of zero importance b/c with GCN i'm given no options.
? 6: What percentage of the games you currently play are online?
A 6: Zero.
? 7: How often do you play games online?
A 7: Not at all.
? 8: Have you played a console game online yet?
A 8: Yes, I've tried some of the EA PS2 titles, they were fun.

I'm incredibly interested in online gaming now and in the future but if you read my responses (without the comments), there is no way you'd know that because of the questions and their answers.  That was my point.  The way I read you're earliest statment it relied on the polls as being evidence.
Kiss the Cynic!