Author Topic: Two New Wii RPGs Revealed  (Read 13672 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Two New Wii RPGs Revealed
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2010, 02:16:08 AM »
Well, I've certainly found the near-monopoly that Square-Enix has on the RPG genre to be one of the worst things to ever happen to the industry (even if I'm really looking forward to FF XIII), so if Mistwalker can finally start mounting some real competition I'm all for it.  Now if only Namco-Bandai would get with the program and start really pushing the genre as it once seemed they would with the Tales series (which has since seemingly become a parody of itself).  But the Tales franchise is perfection incarnate compared to what I've heard has befallen Star Ocean.

Something I'd really like to see Nintendo push for is a partnership with Atlus.  Atlus already largely makes budget-tier games that kick ass and they're one of the few companies to stick with the PS2 instead of jumping headfirst into the HD consoles (Demon's Souls and DeathSmiles being the notable exceptions), so they'd fit in perfectly on Wii.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:18:56 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2010, 05:16:42 AM »
I think that part my problem with RPG's is that the main character seems to always wonder whether or not they should do the right thing, but their never seems to be any question about what the right thing is. I would like to see a story where the main character isn't debating whether or not they should be the hero, but facing choices that are morally ambiguous and not being sure about what the "right" course of action is. There was a little bit of that idea in FF4, and I think that is why I find it to be the most compelling FF.

The Witcher?

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 07:08:30 PM »
"Wasn't VC on the PS3? Why is the sequel coming to PSP?

Saddly as the case with Skies of Arcadia, VC didn't sell so they didn't have the budget to make a full sequel on the PS3.  Yeah VGC has it at 800K but the game was in the barginbin--fact you might find a few new copies at Walmart still.  Was $15-20 and yeah, worth every penny especially if you like SoA.

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2010, 12:00:48 AM »
I think that part my problem with RPG's is that the main character seems to always wonder whether or not they should do the right thing, but their never seems to be any question about what the right thing is. I would like to see a story where the main character isn't debating whether or not they should be the hero, but facing choices that are morally ambiguous and not being sure about what the "right" course of action is. There was a little bit of that idea in FF4, and I think that is why I find it to be the most compelling FF.

The Witcher?

I just looked this up, I've never heard of it before. Looks a little too much like the elder scrolls games to me. I'm not a big fan of American RPG's. I typically find that there are too many menus to navigate. Also I'm not a terribly big fan of the totally open world in my RPG as I like to be told a story. I think that FF does a good job of this by typically leading you through a fair bit of story before opening up the world to you.

After re-reading my post I think that I may have overstated myself. I don't think that the lack of moral ambiguity is the biggest problem with RPG's it's just something that I've noticed and would like to see someone try to change.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2010, 04:32:38 AM »
You aren't going to get much moral ambiguity in a linear game with no choices. The Witcher does tell a story and the menu navigation isn't problematic IMO (pretty much on a level with Diablo).

"Wasn't VC on the PS3? Why is the sequel coming to PSP?

Saddly as the case with Skies of Arcadia, VC didn't sell so they didn't have the budget to make a full sequel on the PS3.  Yeah VGC has it at 800K but the game was in the barginbin--fact you might find a few new copies at Walmart still.  Was $15-20 and yeah, worth every penny especially if you like SoA.

Before they go PSP maybe they should have made it a DS game?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2010, 05:58:53 AM »
Well, maybe we'll luck out and it can be ported to Wii since PSP and Wii porting seems to be a common trend with developers.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast