Author Topic: 64 bit is better than 32  (Read 2184 times)

Offline getupkids

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
64 bit is better than 32
« on: August 06, 2003, 12:51:31 PM »
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111508,00.asp

the above link is proof that 64 bit is better than 32.
stop feeling content from other sites

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
RE:64 bit is better than 32
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 09:47:17 PM »
point being?

N64 was 64-bit, it's surely not "better" than the 32-bit console(s) on the market now. "Bittage" means nothing for consoles, and not very much for PCs as there is nothing yet in the consumer market demanding its need.
"wow."

Offline getupkids

• View Profile
RE: 64 bit is better than 32
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 09:28:04 AM »
i always thought bittage meant nothing.  but i read the link above and i thought it proved that bittage does matter:

"New processors coming soon from Advanced Micro Devices and Apple suggest 64-bit computing will make its way to a desktop near you this year. But what does that really mean for you?

Let's put it this way: If you think today's computers are fast, wait until they make the leap from 32 bits to 64 bits. This isn't about more megahertz--it's about actually doubling the amount of data a CPU can process per clock cycle. Servers and high-end workstation have been reaping the technology's benefits for years"

"Game makers--traditionally among the first to make use of new technology--see clear advantages to 64-bit computing.

that extra speed will let programmers add remarkable detail to their software, says Tim Sweeney, founder and lead programmer at Epic Games, maker of the popular Unreal game franchise.

"You'll see better textures, more realistic sounds, and larger and more realistic environments," Sweeney adds.

Plus, the characters themselves will be rendered with dramatically more detail. You'll see more realistic representation of features such as hair, skin, and eyes. And the computer-run characters will have more realistic artificial intelligence, he says."

stop feeling content from other sites

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 02:58:44 PM »
BigJim was right, GameCube's processor is 32 bit while the N64's was 64 bit.  So obviously you can't automatically assume N64 is better.  Soo many other things play a part in the equation.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 03:21:46 AM »
GameCube has a 64 bit FPU, but 32 bit integers.

The rest of this I am not going to comment on.  I don't think that anyone here really has a clue what they are talking about.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003, 04:37:48 AM »
syrup is better than honey! i know that much

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2003, 08:31:23 AM »
I'm not sure, is the GC CPU even 32bit in integer? I mean, most of the values are just assumed by looking on its closest relative in the PPC family but I've heard it's not exactly the same chip...

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2003, 11:17:21 PM »
IIRC, two 32-bit integer ALU's, one 64-bit FPU.
"wow."