Author Topic: ESRB to introduce free ratings for download games  (Read 4883 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
ESRB to introduce free ratings for download games
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:20:44 PM »
The ESRB is trying to expand the use of its rating system, and is doing do by letting downloadable games be rated quickly and for free. Developers will be able to get their game rated instantly by just filling out an online questionnaire  and can have it done for free. In addition to the age rating, this Digital Rating Service (as they are calling it) will also have privacy descriptors for customers. It will warn if a "game shares their personal information with third parties, their location with other users, or allows uncensored user interaction through direct communications, media sharing, or user-generated content."
[/size]
[/size]I assume this could apply to console and handheld games, but I think this was obviously aimed at iOS/Android/Windows Phone games.
[/size]
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-24-esrb-rolls-out-no-cost-ratings-for-downloadable-games?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=us-daily
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: ESRB to introduce free ratings for download games
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:44:44 PM »
This probably benefits Nintendo more than anyone. Mobile platforms have their own ratings systems and don't need this, and Microsoft and XBLA is mostly for higher profile download games that wouldn't have a problem with this. This reduces one of the biggest costs for developers to release games on the eShop, which should increase the number of games on Nintendo's platforms.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »
Regarding Microsoft, I could see the Xbox Live Indy games using this too.

But yeah, I could see this really helping the eShop since it makes it cheaper for developers to release games on it (since the $500 rating fee can be a deterrent for the smaller developers).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:57:27 PM »

But yeah, I could see this really helping the eShop since it makes it cheaper for developers to release games on it (since the $500 rating fee can be a deterrent for the smaller developers).
ESRB Rating is only $500 really?  Most of those type of things in different industries are much more expensive.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »

ESRB Rating is only $500 really?  Most of those type of things in different industries are much more expensive.

It depends on the budget of the game. Games under $250K have a rating fee of $800. Games that have a budget over $250K have a rating fee of $2,500.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 01:10:29 PM »

It depends on the budget of the game. Games under $250K have a rating fee of $800. Games that have a budget over $250K have a rating fee of $2,500.
That's closer to what I was expecting.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »
Without knowing all the details, this seems like fantastic news for gamers.
NNID: ejamer

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 01:57:27 PM »
There's gotta be more to the story than this. I'm surprised to see the ESRB letting money slip through its fingers!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 02:04:01 PM »
I think they are willing to give up that money in order to spread the use of their ratings to cell phone games, iOS and Android developers might be more likely to get a ESRB rating if they can do it for free and the same day they submit it.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 02:08:46 PM »
But how does that ultimately benefit the ESRB? It sounds like it'd just be more work for less money, no?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »
Not much work, the article says the developers would basically just do a online survey and get their rating right away (so the ESRB wouldn't actually review the game). I assume they are looking long term

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 02:18:51 PM »
Self-reporting eh? I foresee zero issues coming up!

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 03:15:37 PM »
Sounds good for gamer ans indie devs.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 11:41:10 PM »
Sounds great. The big three will be more willing to promote digital games if they have ratings. Small devs will be able to grow in to big devs. More big devs means more money for the ESRB. Also, games. Everybody wins! Yay, free market principles!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
I wonder what the world would be like if the government had stepped in back in the 90's instead of letting the ESRB form. Do you think it would have been better or worse for gaming? As for how this news will affect indie developers, anything obstacle removed is a good thing I think.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 03:30:36 PM »
Given how things have gone since then, I don't know that any government-enforced rating system they'd have put in place would have been able to hold up in court.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »
For one thing it be a lot more political.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 04:29:26 PM »
Given how things have gone since then, I don't know that any government-enforced rating system they'd have put in place would have been able to hold up in court.

The TV ratings system was set up by Congress and run by the FCC, so a video game version would have easily been able to be held up in court since the TV ratings system is government-enforced.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 06:35:44 PM »
No, the TV Parental Guidelines do not have the backing of law; its participation is voluntary. Also, TV is broadcast in public, so it's traditionally fallen under different rules. But in any case, earlier this year, the Supreme Court cut back the FCC's purview over obscenities.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
And now, Daniel Tosh can say the word "asshole." Yay, America!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 10:32:44 PM »
Damn straight, nickmitch.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 11:44:31 PM »
And so can Mr. Anderson. ;)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!