Author Topic: OK, OK - I got love for Wind Waker  (Read 6411 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
OK, OK - I got love for Wind Waker
« on: May 22, 2003, 09:47:57 AM »
I'm going to take some time out from my constant Nintendo-related bitching and moaning to say that Wind Waker is a great game.  It's nothing I haven't seen before, but it's a great game.  I've been playing it lately and I'm really pleased.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 09:56:22 AM »
Did u previously not like the wind waker or what?

Personally I loved it, it had a lot of memoralable moments.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: OK, OK - I got love for Wind Waker
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 10:06:30 AM »
Always good to hear someone genuinly appreciating a game for what it is.  Good to see past hard feelings forgotten so you can have fun.  This is why I love nintendo, they always have at least one game that can do this.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2003, 10:35:36 AM »
I haven't been knocking Wind Waker, but I was knocking Nintendo for releasing more of the same.  Wind Waker is pretty much Ocarina of Time in different clothing, but man it's fun.  There's just something about kicking some ass with the Master Sword that makes even an old, jaded gamer like myself immensely happy.

silks
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2003, 12:59:33 PM »
Anyone who doesn't like The Wind Waker never made it to the Earth Temple.  Best Dungeon Ever.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 01:08:14 PM »
Rick must have had as much fun playing as Medli as I did.  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003, 01:20:08 PM »
I hated the Earth Temple.  Reflecting light off the shield is a great idea, but the physics needed for it are horrible.  
Dragon Roost Cave is the best in my opinion in The Wind Waker.  Different from other Zelda dungeons and clever in its layout.      
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003, 01:22:26 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
Anyone who doesn't like The Wind Waker never made it to the Earth Temple.  Best Dungeon Ever.

Medli is absolutely adorable.

But all the WW dungeon layouts were disappointingly not as mind-bogglingly complex (confusing, multiple room interconnections) as the OoT and MM dungeons.

The Forest Temple still holds my favor.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2003, 01:30:37 PM »
The best temple in my opinion is the Water Temple.  Finally, a really challenging temple that challenged how good of an explorer were you and how good you were at surviving.  Not to mention fighting Shadow Link was memorable.  
The second best goes to Ganon's Castle in The Legend fo Zelda.  The most difficult dungeon in a Zelda game.  Ever.
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2003, 01:49:08 PM »
I really liked the Wind temple.  The way it all worked together like it did, and all the cool, individual puzzles that there were.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2003, 02:18:13 PM »
the earth temple was defidenlty my favorite.  but i  wish it were longer and the boss wasn't the weird ghost guy, i wish the wind temple boss was the earth temple boss.  i aslo think medli and makar should have had more abilities.  wow, all this wishing makes me want to play it right now to remind me that this game  ROCKS!!!

*runs off... but can't play.  have to study for like the biggest test of the year*

crap.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2003, 02:23:40 PM »

Anyone who doesn't like The Wind Waker never made it to the Earth Temple. Best Dungeon Ever.
I disagree there, I thought it was a bit too not Link-action for me, controlling Medli was dull.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2003, 03:59:09 PM »
My favorite dungeons ever were the Spirit Temple, and The Tower of the Gods.  What can I say?  I'm strange.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2003, 04:01:34 PM »
"Anyone who doesn't like The Wind Waker never made it to the Earth Temple. Best Dungeon Ever."

Jesus- that mirror puzzle has to be the best puzzle in an adventure game ever. It wasn't hard at all, or even all that puzzling, but it was just so much FUN!
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2003, 04:06:07 PM »
Exactly.  Not terribly difficult, but very fun and rewarding.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2003, 04:07:08 PM »
It's also where several new looks were shown: most noticably the Redeads and Floormasters.  Best looks of each in the series.
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2003, 08:28:28 PM »
I absolutely loved the Earth Temple and the boss for the Forbidden Forest. That mirror puzzle was the coolest. Just the fact that you had to use the mirror shield was cool enough. And who didn't just go 'wow!' when you had to use Medli's mirror to blow away all that cloudy stuff on the floor at the beginning?

The enemy that I was surprised at most were the Poes. I totally forgot it was them, cause it was a different way of beating them. But the one that scared me the most was the Redeads. Man, that screech is freaky. Even Link thinks so. The floormasters weren't scary, just the fact that it was hard to hit their arms, and if you left them for too long, they would just suck you in.

But I finished it, and I just wanna play it again and again. I went back to Ocarina of time, and to me, it just became the most bland, stiff game ever. I'm serious! Probably the only intense bits would be the boss battles and the Hyrule Castle Courtyard bit.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2003, 06:38:26 AM »
OK all, I just beat the Tower of the Gods and I'm about to do the Earth Temple and Wind Temple.  Thanks for ruining all the surprises.

YOU GUYS ARE ALL JERKS!!!  

silks
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2003, 07:11:21 AM »
I advise you to never look at a thread based on a game you havent finished, someone will always spoil something. Theres always someone who says, 'Wow that boss battle was awesome when you had to do that and that'.
LZ 2005

Offline Rambozo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2003, 07:25:36 AM »
Yeah, Medli's super cute! :-D  I was so pissed at her when I spent an afternoon collectingg 20 golden feathers for her....and she told me she didn't want them. Oh well. Oh, and even after I saved her butt in that dungeon, she still fell for Prince Komali. >:-(

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2003, 11:40:50 AM »
Favorite dungeons ever (or at least 3-D, I don't remember the 2-D ones too well)?  Fire Temple in OoT, Spirit Temple, Water Temple in MM, and the Wind Temple.
**SPOILERS**
I also liked getting to fight the bosses again in MM and WW.
**END SPOILERS**
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline telaris

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2003, 05:05:11 PM »
They should work on making the characters more appealing to teens and older adults. That one boss with the huge gut that you had to throw into the spikes was just laughable. Overall a good game. It's probably the 2nd most enjoyable experience i have had playing through  a game. (Halo is 1st)

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2003, 11:35:49 PM »
yes it was laughable, which was half the fun!
spirit temple = best music, i love that place
controlling medli was so fun! omg

my favorite dungeon so far (im only upto ganons tower as of half an hour ago) has to be the tower of the gods, THE STATUES BOUNCE that has to be the best part ever

Offline Drexion

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2003, 07:02:00 AM »
jeez man
wtf. if your post is going to have something that happens later in the game, or something that you are going to have to do later in the game, put a 'spoilers' warning in it. f*cking crap.

nothing I hate more than *some* ppl posting spoilers without putting a warning.
One of the reasons I read this friggin thread is cause there was no *SPOILERS* warning in the title.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2003, 01:20:58 PM »
The best dungeons are the Stonehead or whatever it was called upside-down temple from MM (BRILLIANT!), the water temple from MM (the pipe thing was cool) the Forest Temple from OoT (That music was utterly haunting, the atmosphere was great) and the Water Temple from OoT (Dark Link battle...  just utterly awe-inspiring).