Author Topic: PlayStation Vita Release Date Leaked  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
PlayStation Vita Release Date Leaked
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:27:47 AM »
According to shopto.net it's coming out November 4th.
http://psp.ign.com/articles/117/1177704p1.html

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Vita Release Date Leaked
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:39:08 AM »
That's about when I would expect it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:12:32 PM »
The 3DS has between now and then to find its wings and either learn how to fly or crash and burn. The clock is ticking.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:36:43 PM »
The 3DS has between now and then to find its wings and either learn how to fly or crash and burn. The clock is ticking.
Its getting Arwings.  Does that count?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 06:39:16 AM »
lol everyones hyped about ocarina of time remake.....it looks awesome.... droools
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:39:27 AM »
stupid browser!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »

If the response from Zelda: OoT is to go by then it's clear software is the problem. Fixing that can indirectly fix other issues the system has. People thinking it's another DS model due to how it looks. Zelda shows that it isn't. Resident Evil will show that as well since it should be clear to anyone that has played a DS and/or seen footage of those games that nothing like them ever appeared on the DS. It also shows why it is priced higher then the DSi/DSiXL/DSLite (soon to be gone from shelves). Just more and more games of that graphical standard need to be released.

Will the 3DS need some kind of price drop at some point? Yes I believe. The problem of comparing the graphics at the same price will appear once the PSVita nears launch or is finally out. By then, a year later, Nintendo might be okay with either dropping the price some or bundling a game with the unit (in the minds of people the price is more acceptable as a result).

I plan on getting a PSVita anyway. I'm going more hand held with my gaming anyway. Just want there to be more games announced for it. I don't normally care for Sony's first party IPs. I like Hot Shots Golf but not enough to buy the system just for that.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 10:22:42 PM »
Will the 3DS need some kind of price drop at some point? Yes I believe. The problem of comparing the graphics at the same price will appear once the PSVita nears launch or is finally out. By then, a year later, Nintendo might be okay with either dropping the price some or bundling a game with the unit (in the minds of people the price is more acceptable as a result).

I wonder if people will see Nintendo's graphics as inferior though.  As an admitted lover of all things (natively) 3D I think the 3DS blows away the Vita from what I've seen.  It is one huge visual trick that Vita just doesn't have.  Everything else aside, will people want 3D over more polys and texutres? I don't know but the last console and handheld generation showed us that the typical increased visuals don't matter that much.

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 11:50:18 PM »

I wonder if people will see Nintendo's graphics as inferior though.  As an admitted lover of all things (natively) 3D I think the 3DS blows away the Vita from what I've seen.  It is one huge visual trick that Vita just doesn't have.  Everything else aside, will people want 3D over more polys and texutres? I don't know but the last console and handheld generation showed us that the typical increased visuals don't matter that much.

Oh don't get me wrong. I like the 3D as well. The Great Fairy Fountains in Zelda:OoT 3D are beautiful by any standard I think. However the problem is 3D isn't as easy to showcase as the PSVita visuals will be. While it might not be a big issue if you have a 3DS and are able to view the visuals on the Vita. From a advertising point of view it will be easy for Sony to show the 3DS in a bad light. People I think in general will see the Vita as the better buy for it's price compared to the 3DS. From screenshots it will be easy to showcase the Vita as well since many developers even now refuse to put 3DS screenshots in the correct size, giving a negative first impression. They'll be able to blow up the Vita screenshots without any problem and you'll still have a more accurate view of what the games look like.

The thing about the Wii is that it was easy to showcase what the Wii remote would do. You swing it and he golf club swings or the tennis racket swings, etc. Not as easy with the 3DS by comparison I think.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 04:12:12 AM »
I don't know but the last console and handheld generation showed us that the typical increased visuals don't matter that much.

It should be noted that the DS was $100 cheaper than the 3DS is now, and the PSP had a significantly higher price.
is your sanity...

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 05:12:01 AM »
The cost of the unit is one thing, but the MSRP on games is a different matter altogether. Many people say that 3DS carts at £30/$40 are seriously pushing it. How will they feel about Vita carts at $50? That's conjecture, of course, but it would not surprise me in the least if they charged the console standard for retail games.

The real problem for PSP was that, outside of Japan, where everyone commutes, the market reality was that people did not see the point of a console experience on a handheld. In retrospect, if we look at the reaction to PSP back in 2004, everybody was excited at the idea of being able to play the kinds of games they had on the PS2 (and later PS3) in their hands. However, it then hit: if that's what the PSP is offering, why don't we just play those titles on the console and big TV? And that's what happened. We hear it all the time - so much of the PSP's library are essentially 'down-ports' of console games. You got your Grand Theft Auto, your Gran Turismo, your LittleBigPlanet etc. All competent, I'm sure, but when you can play essentially the same thing on the PS3, where it looks and controls better, what's the point? There were some noteworthy fellows like Patapon and Half-Minute Hero that carved out their own identity, but they're in the minority.

The PlayStation Vita had to avoid making this same mistake. Trouble is, the E3 showing seemed to be going down that same path. Again, it's the spiel of "console level graphics on this little screen, ain't that amazing?". And what are the headline titles? Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet and ModNation Racers, all already available on PlayStation 3, likely in superior form. Too early to say that history could be repeating itself, but they're gonna have to be careful.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 08:56:07 AM »
Vita is going to be all about the controls and portability.  Its literally competing with the PS3 even more now.  If the controls and load times are better on the Vita then the PS3 it would be easy enough to opt to play it there.  Especially if you could throw it up to the screen through a connector or better yet the PS3 itself, you be kidding yourself if Sony isn't looking into doing this if not planned to do this already.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 11:31:48 AM »
You could connect the PSP to a TV and play it that way which completely contradicted the entire point of it being portable. I believe the cable was like $20. I expect the same for PSV. Sony practically encouraged people to buy PSP instead of their home consoles, putting themselves directly in competition with... themselves. The same kinds of games on 2 different pieces of hardware. Nintendo operates in a similar way though they always encouraged owning both console and handheld and kept prices low, making it all the more attainable. That includes Super Gameboy and Gameboy Player which were aimed specifically at people who don't like handhelds but still wanted the games. They felt like add-ons more so than replacements.

The problem today is that prices are so high and the abilities of console and handheld have become less distinct. Sony is doing the same thing they always have though they're trying to position PSV as a companion to PS3. Valiant effort but PSV offers almost nothing PS3 doesn't already do but better. If they think a lot of people are going to buy 2 pieces of similarly priced hardware (and possibly 2 copies of the same game depending on how it works) just to take a game on the go, they're kidding themselves. And I'm sorry to say Nintendo is finally falling into this trap despite railing against it with the Wii and DS. You generally couldn't play the same way if you put a DS game on Wii and vice versa (I'm specifically referring to touch vs motion controls). Now, Nintendo is pushing console games on 3DS and WiiU can do everything 3DS can minus 3D except better and prettier. What happened here? Back in 2001, GBA offered games that no one was really making anymore (2D sprite based SNES-esque games). Still, I bought a GBA and Gameboy Player. If Nintendo released a 3DS player for WiiU, I actually wouldn't buy a 3DS ever.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »
That would be a shame to not own a 3DS.  They really need to ham up the Location based things with the 3DS.  Like have Spotpass search spots etc.