Author Topic: Activision and Vivendi Games merge to Activision Blizzard  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE: Activision and Vivendi Games merge to Activision Blizzard
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 06:11:51 AM »
I was gonna post this about an hour or so ago, but I still haven't finished reading it. [The PR @ Blizzard.com]
Can you please do a summary of everything this includes and its effect on the gaming industry?

BTW we shall all know this company by the name ActiBlizzion, cause the name they came up with is a little wordy  

Offline Sister Mary LeFever

• PS3ROX!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Activision and Vivendi Games merge to Activision Blizzard
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 06:17:34 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
BTW we shall all know this company by the name ActiBlizzion, cause the name they came up with is a little wordy

I second this motion.

I find it amusing how the name Vivendi got dropped totally.
My signature is a trainwreck

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 06:21:07 AM »
We need to make ActiBlizzion the hot new internet meme. Someon post this on 4chan and NeoGaf.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 06:26:39 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
We need to make ActiBlizzion the hot new internet meme. Someon post this on 4chan and NeoGaf.

I just started skimming through the thread on NeoGaf and it looks like they are a few laps ahead of us.

and I think the "new" logo would look nice too

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 06:27:51 AM »
Well I think the mainly did it to bring down activisions and vivendi's biggest rivals EA down to the 3rd biggest publisher in videogame land. I wonder if EA is really going to persue in merging with ubisoft(or even infograms/atari) to counter since EA and activision is an american company and vivendi, ubisoft and infograms/atari are european companies

Edit: The activision CEO is going to be the CEO of Activision Blizzard but Vivendi will have the majority share (52%) and here are some FAQS that blizzard put up

Q: What are the details of the deal?
A: Under the terms of an agreement with Vivendi, Blizzard and the other companies that make up Vivendi Games will combine with Activision to form a new public company called Activision Blizzard. We do not anticipate any difference in Blizzard’s operations as a result of the combination. Joining forces with Activision will create a stronger and more diversified company that we anticipate will benefit and strengthen both brands.

Q: What will happen to the Blizzard brand name?
A: The Blizzard brand name will stay the same as it’s always been: Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.

Q: What will change with regard to the day-to-day operations at Blizzard?
A: There will be no changes in the way Blizzard operates. All of the people, processes, and philosophies that have made Blizzard so successful will be preserved. Blizzard will benefit from all-star sales and distribution teams to service our products. In addition, the combined company will be stronger financially, managerially, and operationally.

Q: How will this impact Blizzard’s games?
A: This will not impact Blizzard’s games. We remain committed to providing the same high-quality game content and support that we always have. Development on Wrath of the Lich King and StarCraft II, as well as on our unannounced games, is continuing as normal.

Q: Will there be any visible differences in Blizzard’s logo or packaging/marketing materials as a result of this deal?
A: No, there won’t be any changes to our company name, logo, packaging/marketing materials, or anything else along those lines.

Q: Will there be any management changes at Blizzard as a result of this deal?
A: No, there won’t be any management changes at Blizzard as a result of the combination.

Q: Will Activision and Blizzard now share development teams?
A: No, both of our companies will continue to operate as they have previously with regard to game development.

Q: Will the release schedules for any Blizzard games be impacted?
A: No, the transaction will not have any impact on our games, our day-to-day operations, or our release timelines.

Q: Will any of Blizzard’s offices close as a result of the deal? Or, will any new offices open?
A: No, all of our offices will continue to function as they have, and we don’t foresee the need to open any new offices for the time being.

Q: Will any employees move to different offices as a result of the deal?
A: We don’t anticipate making any such moves as a result of the deal.

Q: Does this deal include Activision’s and Blizzard’s international offices?
A: Yes, every part of our companies in the U.S. and abroad is involved in this deal.

Q: If Activision Blizzard is a public company, does that mean I’ll now be able to buy stock in Blizzard?
A: Activision will be renamed Activision Blizzard, Inc and will continue to be a publicly listed company traded on NASDAQ. You will be able to buy stock in the combined company.

Q: When will the transaction be complete?
A: The transaction is subject to approval of Activision shareholders, customary closing conditions, and regulatory approvals. Pending approval, the companies expect the transaction to be completed by mid 2008.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 06:52:58 AM »
My question is, how many developers does this merger include?
and which ones are the most notable (besides Blizzard)
edit: my question was answered elsewhere

Tony Hawk, Call Of Duty, Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, World of Warcraft, Crash Bandicoot now all under one roof.
Vivendi:
Blizzard Entertainment
High Moon Studios (Sierra Entertainment)
Massive Entertainment (Sierra Entertainment)
Radical Entertainment (Sierra Entertainment)
Swordfish Studios (Sierra Entertainment)

Activision:
Beenox
Bizarre Creations
Infinity Ward
Luxoflux Corp
Neversoft
Raven Software
Shaba Games
Toys for Bob
Treyarch
Vicarious Visions
Z-Axis

GamesIndustry.com

Activision Blizzard deal valued at $18.9 billion

Activision and Vivendi Games are to merge, becoming the world's largest independent videogame publisher, in a deal valued at USD 18.9 billion

Activision also said that it will now have access to Universal Music Group, the world's largest music company, "which will benefit Guitar Hero and further extend our sizeable leadership position in music-based games."

Here is another benefit other than taking on EA head on.   and a listing of most of the Artist that it gives them access to @ UMG

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 06:27:46 AM »
Skatebording minigame added to WoW, confirmed.

Seriously, this is a bit...scary. When two giant companies combine like this, it's one step closer to less competition in the games industry, though Activision and Vivendi weren't really competing with each other.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64