Author Topic: X-Men: The Official Game to Feature Top Storywriting and Musical Talent  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Some of the talent behind writing the new movie is also behind the new game.

ACTIVISION’S LATEST MARVEL-INSPIRED TITLE X-MEN: THE OFFICIAL GAME TO FEATURE TOP STORYWRITING AND MUSICAL COMPOSITION TALENT    

Writers Zak Penn and Chris Claremont, Womb Music and Chance Thomas Create an Original Storyline and Musical Score That Captures the Power of Marvel’s X-Men Movie Universe

Santa Monica, CA – March 27, 2006 – Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) has tapped world class film, comic book and musical talent to contribute their creative powers to its upcoming Marvel-inspired title, X-Men: The Official Game, the only game tied to Twentieth Century Fox and Marvel Studios’ upcoming film, “X-Men: The Last Stand."  Co-written by Zak Penn, co-screenwriter for the feature film, and legendary comic book writer, Chris Claremont, the game will immerse players in an original storyline that serves as a prelude to the upcoming movie.  X-Men: The Official Game will feature a dynamic musical score created by leading sound company Womb Music, and Chance Thomas, renowned composer of King Kong, Lord of the Rings and Unreal videogames.    

For the first time ever, X-Men: The Official Game will allow players to command the superpowers of three popular characters from the X-Men movie universe and immerse themselves in the roles of Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and Iceman as they traverse unique environments that showcase each character’s Super Hero abilities in an epic struggle to preserve mutant-kind.    

X-Men: The Official Game is being developed by Z-Axis for the PlayStation2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox and Xbox 360 video game systems from Microsoft.  The Nintendo GameCube version is being developed by Hypnos Entertainment; the Nintendo DS version by Amaze Entertainment; the Game Boy Advance version by Wayforward Technologies and Beenox Studios is developing the PC version.    

The PC and console games are rated "T" (Teen - with violence) by the ESRB and the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS titles are rated "E-10+" for (Everyone 10 and older - with fantasy violence).  X-Men: The Official Game will debut at retail outlets nationwide on Tuesday, May 16, 2006.

:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Zak Penn's screenplays are as often bad as they are good.  It's good that they're hiring actual writers to help with games, I think, but I also think that's  going to limit the game.  They need  to find writers that would be willing to work along with the gameplay concepts and how the game works, developing and changing along with the game, to make a  really good game with a compelling story.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
I find it incredibly silly how this is "The Official Game".  I guess all those other X-Men games were illegal bootlegs.

Fill me in.  Is this naming convention some sort of hip teenager lingo I'm just not familiar with?  I think it's stupid but I've never really been at the pulse of mainstream popularity.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
Going from the box art, wouldn't the name be "XIII: The Official Game" for this title? Why does it get called simply "X-Men" in these press releases...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
So this is the sequel to the Ubisoft shooter XIII ?  King Kong had this naming convention too -  Peter Jackson's King Kong: the Official Game of the Movie

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
We were all as puzzled as you guys about the name of the game...  I don't get it at all.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
Yes, the name is stupid. I think everyone can agree on that, especially after the extended period of time that we had to deal with (working title).

I am interested in checking out the game though.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile

X-Men: The Official Game is being developed by Z-Axis for the PlayStation2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox and Xbox 360 video game systems from Microsoft. The Nintendo GameCube version is being developed by Hypnos Entertainment
Any idea why?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: IceCold

X-Men: The Official Game is being developed by Z-Axis for the PlayStation2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox and Xbox 360 video game systems from Microsoft. The Nintendo GameCube version is being developed by Hypnos Entertainment
Any idea why?

Because its actually going to be a Revolution game thats starts development on the GC dev kits, and therefore needs an independent team that can focus on the original gameplay mechanincs that only the Revolution can provide?

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
the title is stupid, true, but why even let it bother us. its been happening for years.
-peter jacksons king kong: the official game of the movie
-spider man: the movie game

...i'm sure theres more that i just cant think of right now.

i guess throwing a reference to the movie in the title is easier for fans of the movie that want to play the game, while hardcore gamer crowds would most likely play a more original concept involving such a franchise character.
its my opinion that most games based on movies suck because they are so limited, as hostile creation said, in gameplay concept because they have to stick to a certain story. if you play something like ultimate spider man, theres things things from almost the entire comic's series as well as others from the marvel universe.
i wouldn't expect  Iron Man or the Human Torch to appear in X-Men: the official game unless they were present, or because this is preluding the film, supposed to be present in the upcoming movie.

-edit- though i am intrigued at playing as nighcrawler from what i've read in other previews, and icemans little rollercoaster move cant be that bad, and when does beating sh*t up as wolverine ever not worth atleast renting a game?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.