Author Topic: Limiting the Wii U to one Gamepad for now - Nintendo's smartest move yet.  (Read 4070 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Remember how hard it was to get a second guitar for Guitar Hero 2 on Xbox 360? People would buy another guitar and game bundle until they finally started selling the guitar separately.

That's not exactly why having games that only support one Gamepad is such a smart move - it's because this will help end any of the confusion of whether it's an accessory or a new console. If you can't buy just the Gamepad  (which you won't be able to, I'm sure), then you have to buy the entire console. Since the Gamepad is essentially useless without the new console, there is no reason for Nintendo to start selling the Gamepad alone. It will drive up console sales, and at the same time, let Nintendo get rid of all of the old Wii consoles that are rotting on shelves, so that your grandma (and Jimmy Fallon) will have no problem realizing that it's an entirely new experience, and is not an accessory for the Wii. Nintendo has made some stupid moves (including the name of the console, arguably), but this choice is probably the smartest thing they have done so far.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I agree and disagree.

I agree, but not because it will be hard to find the accessory.  I agree, because Nintendo really needs to promote this asymmetrical game design, which is actually going to take awhile to wrap developers heads around.  I mean look at Nintendo Land...it has two games that are basically the same already using asymmetrical design.  This makes me think, that although there is potential, it is not nearly as big of a deal as say motion controls with the Wii. 

However, I disagree, because some of the more innovative and useful functions of the screen will not be focused on this generation.  Sports games can become more strategic, and engaging creating a game experience where the player can literally be the coach on the fly calling plays in real time, and changing formations quickly and easily.  Even managing player fatigue and substitutions all while still playing the game real time.  And this is a really sad potential that will not be out on the Wii Us first sports games, that should.

Nintendo, should have the development tools and solution already in place for two gamepad controls now.  I think what will really happen is that this Gamepad isn't going to see its true potential in game design until a year or two in...and many developers will just see it as a gimmick that doesn't add anything new to the gaming experience.  However, I believe the potential could have been more realized with two Gamepads being used at the same time. 

We will have to see what happens...but I feel this will be Nintendo's mistake with the Wii U...it isn't a very big mistake and it will be fixed later on, but I feel like the Wii's controller should have been motion+ from the very beginning...the WiiU should of had full two controller support from the very beginning.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
That's one way to look at it...

Personally, I think that beyond just not having games for that feature ready during all this crazy rush and crunch until launch day, I think they haven't figured out HOW they intend to sell the extra controller to begin with...

Hmmm... maybe they're also ramping up manufacturing first? Before they were planning that they only needed to make as many controllers as consoles, so this whol two GamePad thing probably isn't accounted for in their early manufacturing numbers and they'd have to ramp up.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Considering how hard it is to find any controller when a system is released I doubt even if it was ready to go launch barely anyone could.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
I'm not sure it's as much a smart move as them not really having a choice.  Until all of the feedback wanting multiple gamepad support, they seemed to have no plans to include it.  So, I'm guessing they had planned production of one per console and probably would have had shortages on standalone gamepads.  Also, the launch titles were probably far enough along in development with no plans of supporting multiple gamepads that they didn't want to go back and have to redesign things.  With no games supporting multiple gamepads, it would be silly to offer them for sale separately.  You could call it a smart decision but you could also say that it's a result of their miscalculation of people having interest in multiple gamepads as much as anything.

The asymmetric gameplay idea is definitely intriguing but forcing it as the only choice (or not using the gamepad, but that's supposed to be one of the main selling points of the WiiU) doesn't seem to really make sense.

Not having gamepads available separately at launch avoiding confusion is a good point but if Nintendo hadn't made it so confusing to this point that wouldn't be an issue.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
That's exactly my point.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
To be honest, local multiplayer generally holds limited appeal for me. Asymmetrical gaming is great for those who actually have friends or family who actually play video games together in one room, but that's not something that seems to happen often for me. There were a few occasions when I first got my Wii that I was able to play Wii Sports with family, but they soon got bored and that was the end of that. I fear that there are many more people like myself, for whom asymmetrical gaming is a cool concept but ultimately impracticable.

My issue, therefore, is not that Nintendo's first slate of games will not support multiple gamepads, but rather that Nintendo still seem to be reluctant to build their games with online multiplayer in mind.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 01:59:40 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I doubt they'll be selling Wii U gamepads separately from the console at launch, or for a while after. If it's the face of the console, they'll sell it with the console only, so the people wanting "the new Wii peripheral" will have to take note and realize that it's not just a peripheral.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
We will have to see what happens...but I feel this will be Nintendo's mistake with the Wii U...it isn't a very big mistake and it will be fixed later on, but I feel like the Wii's controller should have been motion+ from the very beginning...the WiiU should of had full two controller support from the very beginning.

Then again, Motion Plus just came out of nowhere in the same way the 32x and Saturn did.  Nintendo at least announced they'll be making games to use that two-pad functionality at the E3 of its launch year.

One other thing Nintendo needs to nail in hard to the public's heads:  Two Gamepad Support ≠ Two Controller Support
[/size][/color]
[/size]The Gamepads are the thing they're showing the most since they're the primary controller, but they have to get across that Wii U Pro and the Wiimote-Nunchuck combo are compatible, have Wii U games designed around them and that 4 of either kind can be used in conjunction with one Gamepad.[/color]

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
That's one way to look at it...

Personally, I think that beyond just not having games for that feature ready during all this crazy rush and crunch until launch day, I think they haven't figured out HOW they intend to sell the extra controller to begin with...

Hmmm... maybe they're also ramping up manufacturing first? Before they were planning that they only needed to make as many controllers as consoles, so this whol two GamePad thing probably isn't accounted for in their early manufacturing numbers and they'd have to ramp up.

Bingo - I STILL don't understand the go-to-market strategy for standalone GamePads. They shoehorned in this functionality and it is obvious in the lack of software.

It is an interesting conundrum. They have to retail a device with a Bill of Materials somewhere around $50-60 (admittedly from estimations made back in March, but note that the components of this controller are easier to estimate than the as-yet-unknown console CPU/GPU/memory rig).
Assuming the retailer and Nintendo both want a reasonable ROI on this thing, we are surely looking at $80 minimum...for a peripheral...that will collect dust....because it is not supported by any announced games in the 2-3 month launch window (and questionably any games yet, period).

About manufacturing tho, anyone know how many weeks/months in advance Nintendo would have to begin manufacturing in order to stockpile enough launch inventory? From September perhaps (about 4 million units in 4 months)??

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Assuming the retailer and Nintendo both want a reasonable ROI on this thing, we are surely looking at $80 minimum...for a peripheral...that will collect dust....because it is not supported by any announced games in the 2-3 month launch window (and questionably any games yet, period).

I could see an extra Gamepad at my house being used.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Well, I agree Nintendo really needs to nail that idea that one gamepad doesn't mean only one controller, but they really already have shown that with their games.

What Nintendo really needs to do is make sure that the Wii U is packed with one game pad, and one complete Wii motion+ controller and nunchuk.  It is important Nintendo does NOT go cheap here.  Yes, there will be players that don't need the extra controller, but that extra controller is important to immediately show games with asymmetrical game play, and show developers and players there are multiple ways to play with the system.

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
Well, I agree Nintendo really needs to nail that idea that one gamepad doesn't mean only one controller, but they really already have shown that with their games.

What Nintendo really needs to do is make sure that the Wii U is packed with one game pad, and one complete Wii motion+ controller and nunchuk.  It is important Nintendo does NOT go cheap here.  Yes, there will be players that don't need the extra controller, but that extra controller is important to immediately show games with asymmetrical game play, and show developers and players there are multiple ways to play with the system.

Agree completely with this, cost uncertainty notwithstanding (less than 10 bux perhaps to include the Wiimote+?).
Nintendo needs to drive home this focus on multiplay, to define what the Wii U experience proposition is at its core as they did so successfully with Wii.
The expense of including that second controller will help immensely towards the objectives Spak outlines as well as ensuring that every developers knows that every Wii U owner is guaranteed to be able to make use of asymmetric multiplay modes they design.
If successful, attractive multiplay options become the norm as a key ingredient for a successful title on the platform, differentiating Wii U from its rivals and ultimately even spurring sales of even more Wiimote+ thus justifying the cost to include it in the box.