Author Topic: E3 2012 Press Conferences - Days 2-3: Nintendo Main PC & 3DS PC  (Read 80477 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2012 Press Conferences - Day 2: Nintendo
« Reply #250 on: June 06, 2012, 02:35:21 AM »
LAUNCH LIST!

A few casual games (D3 Publisher... ugh), but plenty of games for mainstream gamers.

I'm still pissed that Nintendo didn't reveal any details about the Wii U eShop, Nintendo Network (achievements, matchmaking, friend lists, etc,). "Miiverse" is a cool social networking thing, but what else is there to the Wii U's online functions?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 06, 2012, 07:27:02 AM »
They didn't give people a reason to buy a Vita.  Hell, they didn't even give people who already had Vitas a reason to keep them.

So yeah, I say that Sony gave the impression that they'd abandoned the Vita.

HERE HERE!
As a Vita owner filled with buyers remorse, Sony's E3 out put so far has been a disaster.
Nothing we didn't already know, very little on the games we do know about, nothing on Killzone and a complete fumble of Remote Play.
Not sure whether to jump ship now and maximize whatever 2nd hand price I can get (already a big loss from what I paid) or to keep it as an expensive up res'd rig for PSP rpgs.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 06, 2012, 08:08:04 AM »
I find it odd that EA doesn't have more than Mass Effect 3 for Wii U, namely NBA Live '13. Making Wii U launch would be a good way to reestablish the franchise, especially if it featured full GamePad integration.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 06, 2012, 08:16:21 AM »
All I can say is thank god for Ubisoft. They are the only 3rd party developer which came through and gave the Wii U any meaningful support. I hope this isn't what the entire life of the system is going to look like, but no matter how you slice it this is a really shitty start for the system.
is your sanity...

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2012, 09:56:26 AM »
FIFA 13 was confirmed as being worked on for WiiU before E3, so it should be added to that list.

How about eShop games:

- Cloudberry Kingdom
- Chasing Aurora
- Trine 2 Director's Cut
- Game and Wario
- Bit Trip presents Runner 2
- 1001 Spikes

Anything else?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »
I'm pretty bummed. I was holding out for something interesting to happen at the roundtable, but no dice.

As I see it the following concrete things needed to occur at the press conference:

-1-2 additional 1st party games. Not showing what Retro was doing, the work of another internal Nintendo studio, or even a Smash tease was baffling. Even if nothing is going to come out this fiscal year, the question remains of what the **** they've been doing all this time. Are they that behind the curve on developing HD games?

-Graphical fidelity. They needed to demonstrate that the WiiU is, if not future-proof, was at least a step up from current gen. As of now it's not clear if it could even run Watch Dogs or Star Wars 1313. Pikmin looked good, but I was secretly hoping that it had been underground for so long because Nintendo was doing something crazy with claymation motion cap that would be as comparatively stunning as Wind Waker.

-3rd Party Parity. Obviously they can't force intransigent studious to port to WiiU, but at this point if something is multiplatform is has to also land on WiiU, or the system is going to be inherently crippled.

This whole E3 is making me question why there are even competing consoles at this point. I think the logic has  expired. Would it really be that much worse if Nintendo made games for their tablet control accessory for the MicroSony Steambox?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 06, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
Even if nothing is going to come out this fiscal year, the question remains of what the **** they've been doing all this time. Are they that behind the curve on developing HD games?
I was wondering this too. I think the problem is more time management related.

I'm not concerned about the graphics. Developers have come out and pretty much confirmed that Wii U is more capable than PS3/360.

I'm worried about 3rd party support but not too worried. Wii U isn't launching for another 4-6 months so I'm taking a wait and see approach. I'll reserve judgement until TGS which should give a better view of what to expect.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:19:29 AM by Adrock »

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 06, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
F*ck it! Let's get a proper Spaceworld before launch. I think they need to beef up the horsepower now and be able to at least get the multiplatform support in the next generation as well. We can have the best of both worlds this next go. No specs released and I'm hoping this why. Is it final?
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 06, 2012, 11:45:36 AM »
F*ck it! Let's get a proper Spaceworld before launch. I think they need to beef up the horsepower now and be able to at least get the multiplatform support in the next generation as well. We can have the best of both worlds this next go. No specs released and I'm hoping this why. Is it final?

If the console is coming out this, there is no way they can amend the specs now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 06, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »
It really seems like they were holding alot back for E3. And I mean everyone. I'm sure that EA wants to show off that multi umote Madden, but haven't had time to get it up and running in a demo mode yet, and Nintendo likely wants to save their carpet bombing run followed by the megaton nuke for just before launch, but they could have shown us some more.
Maybe end the conference with a Smash Bros teaser since we already know about that game, but I really hope the sneak something into the 3DS conference later today (where we might see a SSB teaser too).

Oh, and there were only like 2 or 3 Nintendo girls walking around with 3DS' tethered to their waist, so maybe after the conference today, they will flood the both with 3DS games too... But more importantly, more. beautiful booth babes

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 06, 2012, 12:22:42 PM »
How did Microsoft somehow show a proof of concept for a touchscreen madden on a optional control method and nintendo couldn't get one for a main control method?

Anywho

From a personal perspective
Nintendo>Microsoft>Sony

From a winning perspective
Microsoft>Nintendo>Sony

Favorite games
Halo 4
Pikmin 3
Watchdogs
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 06, 2012, 12:28:34 PM »
Nintendo should do a Nintendo Direct in about august and have that guy that talked about the 3DS with Reggie speak during the conference. The video would detail the Virtual Console and online system for the Wii U. It would also reveal a list of third party games for the Wii U that will release in early 2013. Here is that list:

• Hitman: Absolution
  • Watch Dogs
  • Tomb Raider
  • Max Payne 3 (eShop)
  • Spec Ops: The Line
  • Metal Gear Rising: Reveangance
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Resident Evil 6
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
  • Dead Space 3
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:36:20 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 06, 2012, 12:36:15 PM »
When's the 3DS conference taking place?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 06, 2012, 01:50:27 PM »
@RichIGN

Nintendo says it is trying to make games for people who really love games. Not just casual gamers. #E3NVC
Yeah, okay. Prove it.

Can someone pull up the sales history of first party Nintendo titles?
That many Million+ sellers.  Is there another developer/publisher that cranks out the hits on the scale that Nintendo does?

Unless there's some grand conspiracy with some crazed anti-gaming religious cult buying all the games so no one can play them, those games are being sold to... people who like games.  In the millions.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 06, 2012, 02:47:01 PM »

Wednesday 6th, 6PM PDT. Here is a handy ical/calendar book mark from Nintendo. Not sure if Broodwars is going to set up a thread for that.

I still maintain that this was an E3 of losers especially from the big three. After listening to the RFN @ Home team podcast, to only reinforced and gave words as to how sloppy Nintendo's presentation was. Props to Greg as always.

The two Gamepad thing had to happen, and it wasn't gamer demand that did it. It was a case of it being stupid not to do it. They didn't figure this out from the get go, so they had nothing to show for it. But no concept video for the possibilites, sloppy.

In someways I have grown up and away from Nintendo, but it hasn't meant that I went to MS or Sony. They don't have my interests at heart and I am damn sure not to pay for the privilege of being bored by the lastest Master Gears of Duty. Nintendo consoles might not have the magic for me anymore, but the handhelds still have it. WiiU remains well off the buy list.

Sing was very unimportant to us, but that is going to make the WiiU explode in Asia if they get themselves a proper online DLC structure to sell any song you can find in a proper Karaoke. This is where the new casual market for WiiU will be.

Lego games have never appealed to me, always too shallow to be of any fun. This is coming from the guy who still keeps an assembled lego city in his closet.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 06, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »

Wednesday 6th, 6PM PDT. Here is a handy ical/calendar book mark from Nintendo. Not sure if Broodwars is going to set up a thread for that.

If you wish, I can modify this thread's title to encompass the 3DS event as well.  I wasn't planning on creating a new topic for it, especially when we only just found out it existed yesterday.

I still maintain that this was an E3 of losers especially from the big three. After listening to the RFN @ Home team podcast, to only reinforced and gave words as to how sloppy Nintendo's presentation was. Props to Greg as always.

I'm only partway through that "Home team" podcast, but it was sounding pretty brutal.  The only podcast I've listened to so far that was even more down on that press conference was last night's Invisible Walls.  Man, that was fun to listen to.   :D

As for this E3, it's been a massive disappointment for me, but I still saw plenty to be excited for.  For all my issues with Sony's treatment of the Vita at their press conference, they showed games I'm very much interested in with The Last of Us; Beyond: Two Souls; Sony Smash Bros.; etc.  I got to see more of the new Tomb Raider and Black Ops 2 at Microsoft's conference.  With a few lackluster exceptions, Ubisoft showed some great-looking games.  Nintendo had Pikmin 3.

Nintendo, though, was handed E3 on a silver platter with how underwhelming this year's E3 has been, and they still found a way to drop the ball.  I think they've squandered a golden opportunity to deal major damage to Sony and Microsoft's next consoles, and those two companies won't be so complacent and amateurish next year.  I won't say that "the Wii U is DOOMED" because it's a Nintendo console.  Enough people will buy it.  But this thing is not going to generate money anywhere near where the Wii did.  I didn't see anything that would cause the casuals they lost to phones; iPads; and Kinect to return, and I didn't see anything that would cause the core they lost to Microsoft and Sony to return.

Nintendo needs to figure out who they want the Wii U to be for and why people should buy it, because their messaging is mixed at best so far.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 06, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »
It really seems like they were holding alot back for E3. And I mean everyone. I'm sure that EA wants to show off that multi umote Madden, but haven't had time to get it up and running in a demo mode yet, and Nintendo likely wants to save their carpet bombing run followed by the megaton nuke for just before launch, but they could have shown us some more.
Maybe end the conference with a Smash Bros teaser since we already know about that game, but I really hope the sneak something into the 3DS conference later today (where we might see a SSB teaser too).

Oh, and there were only like 2 or 3 Nintendo girls walking around with 3DS' tethered to their waist, so maybe after the conference today, they will flood the both with 3DS games too... But more importantly, more. beautiful booth babes
It's almost as if you know something...

I just doubt there's going to be ANY carpet bombing at this point. Nintendo's already dropped the ball so hard, how can the really cover their asses? To me, the lack of HD Nintendo titles just shows they're havign a very difficult time with the transition and it's really hurting them. They needed a big push title and they don't have it. Pikmin 3 is exciting and awesome, and I will most definitely buy it- but it's not the launch title excellence that could have been either a revived franchise or a really impressive core gamer title.

Unless I'm totally wrong and they do release some juicy info in the coming months. But I doubt it. This was the day that the whole gaming community would have their eyes on the Wii U. And they delivered jack.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2012 Press Conferences - Days 2-3: Nintendo Main PC & 3DS PC
« Reply #267 on: June 06, 2012, 03:23:02 PM »
I've updated the topic to account for the 3DS Press Conference.  I've estimated the press conference at 1 1/2 hours since that has seemed to be the trend this year.  It just seemed wasteful to create a separate press conference thread for the 3DS show when it's practically just the second half of the main Nintendo Press Conference.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TeaHee

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 06, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »
I am a pessimist by nature, so I have a lot of misgivings about E3 this year, but I am going to try and put a positive spin on it:

1) Most hardcore Nintendo fans are going to buy the system for Mario and Pikmin.  Yes, we want Zelda and Metroid, but we know they will be coming, so we will buy to support the company and play Mario.

2) I saw Reggie in interviews emphasize how they wanted to emphasize singing, dancing and fitness games.  This appeals to casual gamers and will lead to sales.  Maybe these fads have passed like the Rock Band craze but millions of people still have balance boards and Just Dance 3 seemed to indicate that 4 would sell well.  Personally, I was hoping that the camera in the Gamepad would be able to mimic some of Kinect's or Move's functions for Just Dance.

3) Less than impressive ports are to be expected aren't they.  The positive side of this is at least studios are working with the hardware, so that future games will be better or new ideas will spawn.

4) There is still a lot of time before the release. In that time Nintendo will fill in the blanks.  They have been trying to stay in the news spotlight through Nintendo Direct for months now.  I am sure this will continue.  I think we will also see a lot at TGS from developers like Capcom.  Sometimes we forget that a 1 hour press conference is not the be all and end all of information.  To paraphrase you do not want to shoot your load too early; you want it to build to release day.

5) Two controller support is big now we can have synchronous game play  with our asynchronous games.  Sport and fighting games needed this.  By next year I expect EA to have solid games for head to head play.  I can't imagine someone not preferring what Wii U could do for Madden.  I know Microsoft mentioned Smart Glass, but I am not going to want to switch between my controller and my Ipad to play.  Also, as Neal pointed out this could lead to increased development from third parties.

6) The hardware doesn't sound like it is super impressive, so that will result in a lower costs.

7) Trine 2 and maybe Tanks! Tanks! Tanks! show that they do have games for the new eshop

I am writing this before the 3DS software conference- maybe a secret reveal?

Finally, everything Nintendo did seems geared at sales.  Unfortunately, the investors don't seem to agree as the stock dropped this morning, but I am remaining hopeful.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 03:52:38 PM by TeaHee »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 06, 2012, 04:25:46 PM »
@RichIGN

Nintendo says it is trying to make games for people who really love games. Not just casual gamers. #E3NVC
Yeah, okay. Prove it.

Can someone pull up the sales history of first party Nintendo titles?
That many Million+ sellers.  Is there another developer/publisher that cranks out the hits on the scale that Nintendo does?

Unless there's some grand conspiracy with some crazed anti-gaming religious cult buying all the games so no one can play them, those games are being sold to... people who like games.  In the millions.
Sorry, I thought this comment was associated with something said recently. I knwo Nintendo has MADE games that people who love games play. I don't see them MAKING any in the near future. Pikmin 3 and Mario U aside.

However, I won't deny that the Metroid demo shown last year that will undoubtedly be a part of Nintendoland did look fun. And Nintendoland does look fun, in general. But it's not what I was hoping to see.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 06, 2012, 04:55:55 PM »
If they announce for the 3DS Advanced Wars, I will be happy. Beyond that is bonus.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 06, 2012, 05:19:30 PM »
All I can say is thank god for Ubisoft. They are the only 3rd party developer which came through and gave the Wii U any meaningful support. I hope this isn't what the entire life of the system is going to look like, but no matter how you slice it this is a really shitty start for the system.

Well Ubisoft has always been a big supporter of Nintendo platforms. I just hope they don't bring any of their casual kiddy crap to the Wii U. Leave that stuff on handhelds.

"Imagine Babiez 4 U!" Good god no.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 06, 2012, 05:30:24 PM »
Nintendo couldn't make E3 better unless they had something better to show.  We all remember the infamous Wii Music E3.  The reason that E3 sucked wasn't because they didn't put together a good presentation, it was because the next year of the Wii was going to SUCK.  They put a lot of emphasis on Wii Music because that was their "big" title for Christmas.  They didn't have anything else.  That period marked a long drought of Wii games.  They could not possibly have done a better E3 with the games they had due within the next year.

I doubt Nintendo has some secret Wii U launch title they're going to release later.  No, what we see here is what we'll get around launch.  If they could show more they would.  If you feel that this showing is unimpressive, well, that's the Wii U's true first impression because this is what we'll get later in the year.

What seems to be missing is something that really demonstrate what the new system can do.  This has this new controller and it's Nintendo's first HD console.  Pikmin 3 looks nicer than any Wii game but it controls like NPC Pikmin.  NSMB U plays like NSMB Wii.  A problem I had with the Wii was that I found myself asking "why couldn't this be a Gamecube game?"  So many of them looked like Gamecube games and just had waggle replacing a button.  And if it used the CC?  It pretty much was a Gamecube game.  I shouldn't have to buy a new system just because you arbitrarily decide I have to.  The new system is supposed to provide something the previous one couldn't.

So when I look at what they've shown thus far there is a certain amount of "why couldn't this be a Wii game?"  The key core games barely use the screen and the gimmick screen game doesn't use the improved specs.  Last year's Zelda video sold us on the Wii U better than anything there.  It was like "holy ****!  Look what Nintendo can do with better specs!"  In comparison this crop of software doesn't stand out.  We're getting some good games but what is the Wii U really going to offer that the Wii didn't?  I understand that it is becoming harder and harder to justify new videogame systems but I hoped Nintendo would do a better job at that than everyone else.  These games don't suggest that Nintendo is EXCITED about their new hardware.  Usually when they make a new system they're all excited about the new features and want to show them off in the new games they make.  The Wii U almost seems like it exists entirely because the market called for it and Nintendo themselves isn't really interested.

I agree with the sentiment that Nintendo doesn't seem to know who the Wii U is for.  Nintendo Land is especially weird.  Okay so it has all sorts of Nintendo references that ONLY core gamers would know but the gameplay is gimmicky mini-game stuff that only casual gamers would like.  So who is this game for?  It appears to be for the Nintendo fan who wasn't turned off by the Wii and likes Wii Sports as much as Mario.  Either that or it's their foolhardy attempt to make a game for both the core and casual audience which will alienate BOTH groups.

Nintendo seemed legitmately surprised that their decision to attract non-gamers gave the Wii the image of the "casual console".  I think they don't want that to happen again but they're completely stunned as to how to avoid it.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »
I am a pessimist by nature, so I have a lot of misgivings about E3 this year, but I am going to try and put a positive spin on it:

1) Most hardcore Nintendo fans are going to buy the system for Mario and Pikmin.  Yes, we want Zelda and Metroid, but we know they will be coming, so we will buy to support the company and play Mario.

2) I saw Reggie in interviews emphasize how they wanted to emphasize singing, dancing and fitness games.  This appeals to casual gamers and will lead to sales.  Maybe these fads have passed like the Rock Band craze but millions of people still have balance boards and Just Dance 3 seemed to indicate that 4 would sell well.  Personally, I was hoping that the camera in the Gamepad would be able to mimic some of Kinect's or Move's functions for Just Dance.

3) Less than impressive ports are to be expected aren't they.  The positive side of this is at least studios are working with the hardware, so that future games will be better or new ideas will spawn.

4) There is still a lot of time before the release. In that time Nintendo will fill in the blanks.  They have been trying to stay in the news spotlight through Nintendo Direct for months now.  I am sure this will continue.  I think we will also see a lot at TGS from developers like Capcom.  Sometimes we forget that a 1 hour press conference is not the be all and end all of information.  To paraphrase you do not want to shoot your load too early; you want it to build to release day.

5) Two controller support is big now we can have synchronous game play  with our asynchronous games.  Sport and fighting games needed this.  By next year I expect EA to have solid games for head to head play.  I can't imagine someone not preferring what Wii U could do for Madden.  I know Microsoft mentioned Smart Glass, but I am not going to want to switch between my controller and my Ipad to play.  Also, as Neal pointed out this could lead to increased development from third parties.

6) The hardware doesn't sound like it is super impressive, so that will result in a lower costs.

7) Trine 2 and maybe Tanks! Tanks! Tanks! show that they do have games for the new eshop

I am writing this before the 3DS software conference- maybe a secret reveal?

Finally, everything Nintendo did seems geared at sales.  Unfortunately, the investors don't seem to agree as the stock dropped this morning, but I am remaining hopeful.

For the record, the Xbox 360 launched with a bunch of crappy PS2 / Xbox 1 ports. And the PS3 launched with a bunch of crappy Xbox 360 ports. So you have a point there.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 06, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »
Nintendo Land is especially weird.  Okay so it has all sorts of Nintendo references that ONLY core gamers would know but the gameplay is gimmicky mini-game stuff that only casual gamers would like.  So who is this game for?  It appears to be for the Nintendo fan who wasn't turned off by the Wii and likes Wii Sports as much as Mario.  Either that or it's their foolhardy attempt to make a game for both the core and casual audience which will alienate BOTH groups.

Nintendo Land is a bridge title to attract casual gamers to Nintendo IP's besides Mario.