Author Topic: Latest Nintendo Performance Numbers  (Read 8233 times)

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Latest Nintendo Performance Numbers
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2004, 03:55:02 PM »
im not basing my opinion on the fact that the ds has 2 screens. its because they are going to try and support 2 handhelds at the same time, while sony (nintendos most formidable competitor) is releasing its new handheld. its not a great recipe for success if you ask me.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Latest Nintendo Performance Numbers
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2004, 04:26:30 PM »
Tell us then, nolimit, what IS the recipe for success, since you obviously know the intracies of the business.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2004, 05:52:13 PM »
People are going to voice their opinions in this forum. You do it, I do it, everybody does it. This opinion isn't just a rambling - he clearly outlined the resoning behind it. I've attacked people's ability to voice opinions instead of his specific reasoning before, and it achieved nothing positive.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2004, 01:33:35 AM »
Mouse

You seem to be attacking nolimit based on his name and not nessasarily on his opinion.

I think the point he is trying to make is, by Nin having 2 seperate handhelds on the market it will no doubt limit the amount of possible sales of both, especially for people entering the handheld market for the first time.
If you want your first ever handheld next year, NIN will have 2 if they keep to word, I cannot see both of them selling like mad, one surely hurt the other, add in the PSP and they have 3 to choose from.

So I can see where he is coming from, but with the PSP coming out, I can also see why NIN sees the need for a new product as well.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2004, 05:51:51 AM »
remember, iwata said that he's only expecting 10% of the population to be interested in the product initially.  it doesn't sound like they're going to be backing the ds quite as much as the gba.  it's more of a test than anything else.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2004, 07:18:23 AM »
The GBA has a huge amount of units sold already, even if the DS came out there'd be enough users to sell games to. I mean, there are still games being made for the PS1 and Dreamcast! I bet the DS will be backwards compatible as well, giving no reason to abandon the GBA market. More likely the GBA will continue as usual while the DS doesn't sell as good.

The PSP might have some problems. With that price I cannot see any "cool kids" (and by that I mean basically any organic waste up to the age of 25) pick it up, they don't have that much money to spare, they need to buy new clothes and lots of cigarettes. They can afford mobiles because of the contracts that make them as cheap as one cent, but the PSP cannot have those.

Offline Kyosho

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2004, 09:46:59 AM »

With that price I cannot see any "cool kids" (and by that I mean basically any organic waste up to the age of 25) pick it up, they don't have that much money to spare, they need to buy new clothes and lots of cigarettes

don't underestimate the power of working, loans, and parent contributions.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2004, 10:29:08 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I bet the DS will be backwards compatible as well, giving no reason to abandon the GBA market.

thats not what nintendo said. the psp is estimated to cost between $199 - $249...if it does cost that much, that is going to be what kills it. however, ea announced they have as many as 1 games already in developement for the thing. ea may not be everyones favorite deveolper here, but a lot of casual gamers do think that. i just dont think nintendo should be screwing around with expiraments when their greatest foe is going to try and get a piece of the handheld market. maybe it will all work for to nintendos advantage, and i hope it does, but i think it sounds like a mistake. think if sony released a "3rd pillar" and didnt make a ps3....lol it would nintendos and m$'s greatest joy. it just doesnt seem practical to try and support 3 "consoles".
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2004, 10:36:39 AM »
No, cubed, I'm attacking nolimit because he's making a prediction that is entirely baseless- he has absolutely no evidence to support his opinion. I don't attack people based on their names- I've agreed with nolimit on a number of things before, I've even agreed with you on a number of things. However, nolimit is simply throwing out statements regardless of whether or not they have any credence whatsoever. NOBODY here knows enough about Nintendo to accurately say whether or not they can support 3 consoles, so why does nolimit think he can?  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2004, 10:47:05 AM »
hahahhaha they can barely support 2 consoles. most of the good games that come out on gba are old games. and a great deal of the gc games are old establised franchises. i cant remember the last time nintendo put something original out. wasnt 2003 supposed to be the year of the new franchises? and 2002 was supposed to be the year of the establised franchises right???? they dont have enough resources to do anything new....either that or they lack vision or they are lazy. either way there hasnt really been any new nintendo games that stick out in my mind. this shows me they are barely getting by when it comes to ideas for games. on top of that, they had to lower expectations AGAIN today. lastly, and worse of all, the last 3rd pillar they had was a failure....well its the closest thing to a 3rd pillar that i have ever known....VIRTUAL BOY. sure there is a lot more to be announced, but i dont think there is too much to be excited about if you care for nintendos well being.  

Thomas Paine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2004, 10:57:35 AM »
So you're supporting your viewpoint with opinions? That's very professional of you, nolimit! Look, until you get some actual evidence to support your claim, they're just hollow words. That's really all there is to it- I'm not going to continue the conversation because there's no point- you'll tell me how you're dissapointed with Nintendo and somehow that justifies everything bad thing you can say about them. Since we've gotten as far as we have, we don't need to go any further. Next time, don't act like a baseless opinion holds any sort of special credibility at all, nolimit. Based on your past history, I really shouldn't be giving ANY thought to claims you make, but I always try.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2004, 11:03:22 AM »
Mouse

You have to understand that he is simply making a prediction, and a prediction can be based on fact or simply a gut feeling.
I myself wonder how Nin is going to play this out, and just how the public will react to it. Personally, I dont see it taking off, as a good portion of the people who own GBA's will probably be satisfied with what they have.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2004, 11:12:00 AM »
"i cant remember the last time nintendo put something original out."

Someone has a short memory then.  Aside from the familiar main character Warioware is a completely original game and came out only a few months ago.  One could argue the since it was never released in North America Fire Emblem could also to considered original.  Original to us anyway.

And since when did originality have to do with supporting multiple consoles.  I REALLY doubt we're going to see Sony bust out some incredibly original content for the PSP.  The launch lineup will likely be similar to the GBAs with lots of ports and everything else being a sequel.  PSX ports are going to be as common on the PSP as SNES ports on the GBA.  Original games aren't as important as GOOD games.  Therefore I think Nintendo could support these three platforms at the same time.  Afterall a lot of third parties are supporting three consoles now.

My concern isn't with Nintendo being spread too thin but rather the reasoning for making this a third pillar.  From a pure technology point of view a dual screen portable should make a single screen one with older hardware obsolete.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2004, 11:32:27 AM »
well ill give you warioware and fire emblem. i actually thought about that, but they are both names that have already been used before. as for mouse...you are confusing the definitions of proof and evidence. you can have lots of evidence to prove a point and you will not PROVE your point. there is evidence that this will be a failure...there isnt proof though...and you can not prove it unless you can tell the future. im not trying to prove anything. if the fact that the last 3rd pillar was nintendos biggest failure isnt enough for you that is fine, but i think its enough for me to be a little skeptical. you also have to learn that there are different types of people. some people see the cup half empty and some see if half full. its just the way people are. i actually usually see the cup half full most of the time, but for some reason its almost always half empty will nintendo. lol and what else am i supposed to base my opinion on....HAHHAHHA facts???  

Thomas Paine

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2004, 12:45:21 PM »
nolimit

I think if you turned down your tone a little and didnt come across as being arrogant, you may be taken a little more seriously and recieve a lot less guff in the process.

Just a thought from someone who has learned this first hand

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2004, 01:30:01 PM »
Why are you guys arguing?  Here's a reading guide I've prepared for people with trouble interpreting nolimit's earliest comments.

1) Nintendo has a portable and a console.
2) The console has two big competitors.  Nintendo is fighting a close battle with M$ while Sony is miles ahead.
3) The portable will have hyped-up competition from Sony, who took away Nintendo's home console base last generation.
4) Nintendo plans to release a new portable that is to stand alone, giving further competition to its old portable.
-N.B. for those counting, that's two major competitors for the GBA and the new DS.

nolimit concluded that if Nintendo did not back the DS, it will fail due to all the competition.

There is nothing to argue about there, it's all logic.

P.S. the past is the best evidence to predict the future.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2004, 01:30:03 PM »
" think if you turned down your tone a little and didnt come across as being arrogant, you may be taken a little more seriously and recieve a lot less guff in the process."

lol yea i know, but thanks anyways. i try, but sometimes it is difficult....because i am arrogant. lol

also odifiend seems to have good common sense and logic. there really is nothing to argue about.  

Thomas Paine

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2004, 04:19:15 AM »
Comparing the DS to the VB is pointless. What do those two have in common? Hell, even the screens work fundamentally different (the VB uses some weird mirror setup, the DS has plain, old TFTs). The main flaws with the VB aren't present in the DS.
They are calling the DS a hird pillar because the GBA isn't that old. It's old enough to lose against the PSP in technical comparison (not battery life, though) but still too new to replace it already. The DS will be capable of competing with the PSP, but I doubt it will see a successor. They said the DS is a taste of what's to come in the N5, the N5 and next GB will probably replace the DS.

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2004, 10:47:57 AM »
KDR, if what you say is true (and it does sound pretty reasonable), why would we shell out around $200 for an experiment that is a small taste of things to come? I just don't get Nintendo's thinking here.  A reason why I never even questioned picking up the GBA is because it was backward compatible and that its successor would probably also be backward compatible- I was just adding to my library for the GBX.  But with this seemingly one shot deal that Iwata expects only about 10% to get into, that won't be part of the Game Boy line... it's just baffling.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2004, 03:12:27 PM »
Recently I've read a lot of posts that say that the Nintendo DS is an experiment and that Nintendo seems ambivalent in regards to having their future portables being catridge based or the DS's new media type.  It sounds like Nintendo is leaving it completely up to the consumers to decide through sales what the future will hold.  
If this is the case, the Nintendo DS has a very uphill battle if it hopes to be that new Nintendo medium.  It has to use its two screens incredibly and have graphics to boot so it can even compete with the huge following of the preestablished GBA (and its ancestors).  Along with this as nolimit said, Nintendo needs to push this thing.  Probably harder than the GBA because it does not have the backwards compatiblity that endeared so many to the GBA.

The new DS though has some serious advantages.  The new media has been compared to disc media in that it is easily writable and that will hopefully mean a proliferation (Playstation style) of games.  We also know that the media has much more memory than the GBA catridges meaning longer and nicer games (potentially).  Two screens by themselves aren't that great, but coupled with the above, it can only be a positive.

Writing this just now, I realized that if Nintendo wanted to put out new portable hardware as the successor to the Game Boy that wasn't backward compatible without the option of another backward compatible system, we'd lynch them... pretty hard.  That attitude, making every thing backward compatible, is eventually going to limit Nintendo.  In fact, now I'm confident that the DS is direct competition for the PSP.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2004, 10:11:41 PM »
odified: I'm still unsure if I should buy the device myself. It sounds like a nice idea and everything, but if the uptake is too bad it won't get many games.
Also, I think Iwata meant 90% won't think it's a good idea upon hearing the announcement (which he was pretty right about), no that only 10% will enjoy the device hen it's out.

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2004, 05:07:49 AM »
The name's odifiend but I like odified.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2004, 11:57:05 AM »
the way the vb and ds are similar is that they both use unconventional means for the visual aspect of the gaming expirience. and wasnt the vb released after the original gb....im sure the old gb was just as old at the time of the vb release as the ds and gba now. there are many similarities between the two. i dont see how you couldnt see the similarities.  

Thomas Paine

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2004, 05:19:39 PM »
I wouldn't personally compare the DS to the VB through physical similarities. Rather, they are both portable; and they both offer something that most would say has potential, but it isn't something that people have really been begging for. It's like the cell shading in Zelda: it's really cool, but Nintendo had to create demand that they already had with the other style.
Om mani padme hum.