Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV Online  (Read 5927 times)

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Final Fantasy XIV Online
« on: July 23, 2010, 09:31:24 AM »
Final Fantasy XIV Online System Specs Revealed

So there it is.  I was gonna try to run this in Windows Vista using Bootcamp on my Mac, but I don't have a powerful enough graphics card.  I meet all of the other requirements for minimum specs, but my card just isn't powerful enough.  Boo.  I suppose I'm gonna have to wait until March for the PS3 release...which is strange, because I thought Square built this game from the ground up for the PS3 first, and then moved it over to the PC side, too?  Hmm... oh well.

Anyone else planning on purchasing this game and getting enthralled and sucked in to its world?  I know I can't wait. I was a super huge fan of FFXI.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Final Fantasy XIV Online
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:41:18 AM »
Unless they make it free to play, no. It looks good, but I refuse to pay a monthly fee just to play a game I already bought.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:00:53 AM »
I'll be buying it at PS3 launch most likely. Not going to try and play on PC.

I'm secretly hoping they will somehow role a "subscription" into playstation plus as a perk. It's unlikely, but would be pretty awesome if they did.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:48:36 AM »
Oh, if they do, I will totally commit to a Playstation Plus account.  Would definitely make it worth it.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:50:54 PM »
That would be nice, but I don't think they will since they didn't for the first Final Fantasy Online. That required a separate subscription fee on-top of the Xbox Live Gold subscription fee (although they did allow you to have a account for the game without needing a XBL account).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 07:14:42 PM »
The subscription fee is fare in my eyes. It costs money to maintain the service after all.

I was going to get it at launch but I did the benchmark test and my PC  was massively under the minimum requirement (which is annoying as it can run Crysis fine).  The minimum specs are so high, seems like a crazy move for an MMO. Square are freezing out a large portion of PC gamers. I might upgrade in the next couple of months, if not, I'll just wait until March and get it for the PS 3.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 07:19:57 PM »
So, my brother got a new PC rig, and I've been able to watch him play the beta a few times now... and wow.  Sweet lord have mercy, the game is absolutely gorgeous.

If I wasn't in such a financial bind right now, I'd buy a new PC without a monitor, and just plug it into my TV's DVI port. I want this game THAT badly. It looks and plays great, and also introduces quite a few brand new concepts into the MMO world that a game like WoW has never done. But at the same time, it still retains the things that made FFXI so great, too.

I really hate that, as a PS3 user, I'm gonna have to wait until March 2011 to play this. Hopefully after the PC release, Square will kick it into high gear and speed up development time for the console version and get it out before the end of the year.  I just don't wanna wait SIX whole months. >_<
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 12:06:20 AM »
I'm not seeing any reason to buy this. At all. I mean, is it really going to ride on the Final Fantasy name that much? Because honestly, there's nothing we've heard about this game that hasn't already been done. With no changes to core gameplay mechanics, why are people so excited about this versus other MMOs, especially Guild Wars 2 and Old Republic, both of which are bringing veritable boatloads of changes to the MMO genre?

And I just found this. Goddamn. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/Shralla/FFXIVMap.jpg
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 07:21:14 PM by Dirk Temporo »
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 02:01:40 PM »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 02:27:25 PM »
And I just found this. Goddamn. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/Shralla/FFXIVMap.jpg

What am I supposed to be looking at?

I guess Dirk is just trying to show the complexity (or lack thereof, depending on how one views that map) of the map, and why he doesn't like it, maybe? :P

If you played FFXI enough, though, you know that map is nothing to scoff at. :P There were all sorts of maze like dungeons and caverns in that game... so this is just another area created in the same vein as the original title. I don't mind it at all.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 02:58:27 PM »
No, the picture is pointing out the fact that every single circle of the same color is around an object that has been duplicated, then rotated in order to fill out the environment. In an MMO, the world is arguably the single most important aspect of the game, so to see such blatant laziness hardly instills me with confidence.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 09:33:57 PM »
I'll be picking FFXIV up next week on release day, and if anyone is interested in playing alongside me...I'll be located on the Trabia server.

Character: Sarail Clay
Allegiance: Gridania

I really hope a couple of you NWRers decide to pick this game up.  Can't wait to explore Eorzea!
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
I'll be picking it up day 1 of the PS3 release... so we'll have to wait 6 months. :(
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 02:46:17 PM »
Holy crap--Pale's alive!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 03:22:42 PM »
I'll be picking it up day 1 of the PS3 release... so we'll have to wait 6 months. :(

Pale, I'm still hoping Square will move that release date up a bit. I still can't fathom why the PS3 release would take THAT much longer to complete. Unless it's RAM usage issues... but still... SIX months?! No way.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 03:08:47 PM »
4.0 from Gamespot and a 5.5 from IGN, huh?

Good to see their laziness in map design didn't carry over to the rest of the game.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 03:16:05 PM »
4.0 from Gamespot and a 5.5 from IGN, huh?

Don't forget GameTrailers' epic 4.2 Review, which has to be one of the most scathing reviews I've seen of a big name project.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 05:36:51 PM »
How do you connect a MMO game to the internet and get started? Would a wi-fi internet connection work?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 05:43:15 PM »
How do you connect a MMO game to the internet and get started? Would a wi-fi internet connection work?

"The same way you play any game online" and "Sure, though to minimize lag you might want to go with a wired connection", respectively.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »
So I hear they're banning people from the game for silly reasons or even no reason at all! Also, they don't tell you why you got banned when you do. And check out the hilarious character naming policy in the TOS.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 02:57:28 PM »
I honestly don't understand all of the hateful reviews. I'm loving this game so far. Sure, there are a few frustrating points... such as no search feature for the market wards and no ability to sort inventory, but these are all things that are being taken care of in weekly updates.

I played from 2:30pm to 2am yesterday, and didn't even realize my day had flown by like that. The game can really take hold of you, and the battle system is a blast to play. So much better than XI's system.

But of all of the updates coming in the next weeks/months, I can definitely see now why the PS3 version is being considered the lead platform -- that version should be what the game is really about once it releases. Everything should be set in place by that time. Definitely some kinks right now, but it's not anything that brings the game crumbling down.

Oh, and I adore the story up to the point I'm at currently. Definitely better than XI's also -- it's more whimsical, more Final Fantasy-ish, and overall more entertaining and enjoyable.

As I said, if any of you guys or gals would like to join me, I'm Sarail Clay on the Trabia server. I'm currently at a physical level of 11, with ranks 10 Lancer, 5 Culinarian, and 4 Leatherworking.

Good times. :)
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 01:44:35 PM »
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=ae522972e787f44f3f98486de21b1ab2f941c524

Glad to see the developers listening. Oh, and add in another free month of play, too.  Hah, still in open beta it seems. But I've been having fun with the game nonetheless. Great stuff. I can definitely see FFXIV eclipsing XI eventually.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 04:18:15 PM »
Hey Rachtman, which server are you on?

Offline Sarail