Author Topic: "Networking Gamecubes"  (Read 23071 times)

Offline Mingesium

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2003, 04:17:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict
could the GCN handle 30 racers in F-zero? That sounds ludicrous

You are right. It is ludicrous. I just threw that number out there.

Here is what IGN says

big environments with a total of 28 vehicles on-screen including the player, and a sense of speed absolutely frantic and totally unequaled.

28 Player LAN would still be cool.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2003, 05:24:33 PM »
Actually, the LCD screens are usually around five inches, if not a bit more. i've got the Intec screen and it's great for many games.

In order to connect a GC (or any other ethernet-ready console) wirelessly to a WAN, you need a wireless ethernet bridge. i'm too lazy to post a link, but just punch "wireless ethernet bridge" in Google and you'll get some links.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2003, 11:25:12 AM »
Anyone too lazy to find it here it is wireless ethernet bridge

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2003, 12:13:29 PM »
ok.. i guess i should have put my previous post into the form of a question:

would 28 players on a LAN slow down ? I am unfamiliar with LAN gaming; does having lots of players slow down the game any?
I'll shut up now...

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2003, 12:17:26 PM »
That's very hard to say.  It depends on how much data has to be sent for each player, and how fast the connections are between the people.  There isn't any reason on a LAN setup that you couldn't have more than eight, but I think over 20 is pushing it, I'm sure.  I wouldn't expect that you could have more than about eight people in an Internet game, the lag would just be too much.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2003, 12:23:32 PM »
I don't really plan on getting the broadband adaptor anytime soon, but if I ever did, I would probably just feed the connection through my PC.  From there I could host games anywhere in the world through Virtual Private Networking.  (remote LAN access).  Hell, I was playing Warcraft 3 the other day with that exact technique.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2003, 12:43:55 PM »
I hope that they make lots of games with networking capabilities for the Gamecube.  LAN gaming on PC or Console is always very fun and entertaining to me.  True, it is not feasible for all people, what with the need for a HUB, extra cables, and more TVs but that is besides the point.  It should be an included feature for those people who do want to network.  Arguing about whether the majority of consumers have enough TVs or whether network setup is a hassle is completely irrelevant.  The network feature is for people who have enough equipment and want to use it.  If you don’t want to play on a network, you don’t have to people.  That doesn’t mean that Nintendo should not include network capabilities for those of us who would enjoy playing on a network.
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline Zach Adams

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2003, 01:32:43 PM »

There are still few households in the US that have more than one television, and even less that have more than one that are big enough to give a decent gaming experience.

Heh, Rick I really think that is the opposite. I live in a community with mainly middle class, with nearly as many lower class. Anyway, we did a survey on how many TV's are in their homes and about 3% had 1 tv. The rest were mainly 3 or 4. Up to about 8. Seriously, what you are thinking of is how it was in the 70's man. TV's are so widespread, I doubt there ARE few households WITHOUT more then one tv. And now that that is said, it is SO easy to set up. Do you guys have more then 4 friends come over to play? Well then you guys know what I mean! If you don't then I can understand your inacceptance of LAN..... you would obviously like online. Anyway, since I have maybe 5-6 people come over to play GCN usually, and I could get more in my neighborhood, LAN is a MUST for us. One of my friends bought Xbox just so he could do it. Bring over your cube when they release it, hook it up to a distant tv, run wires from one to the other and it is simple. And you guys think it is overrated! Hahahah! It is the most fun gaming experience you can possibly have, LAN. But too many are too lazy to try it. (I even had to force my friends to help me put a sheet across my tv so we could play 2 vs 2 TS2 without seeing each other screens, and they finally agreed it was tons better)
If any man says he hates war more than I do, he better have a knife, that's all I have to say.

Offline shoney

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2003, 02:51:36 PM »
yes i'm still a "kid" and i really got a yelling when i suggested networking our house. see i just spent the last 6 months working on getting broadband at home and now i want to spread the love throughout the whole house and with all the comps. but all this LAN stuff sounds great but it is really hard . if nintendo sold a whole LAN set with 2 cables and a switch, hub or router it would be great.

they could sell the LAN setup and mari kart with it!

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2003, 04:29:28 PM »
PM the set up for your house, approximate distances, so forth and I can give you a diagram of what you will need.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2003, 06:17:04 PM »
I think Nintendo should go online and do this LAN stuff at the same time.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2003, 05:52:53 AM »
Wow, this would be phenomenal.  I would buy three more Cubes for my household + LCD screens if this were to happen.  Imagine the possibilities of this + the comfort of using your Wavebird controller away from your own individual screens.  This is just too cool.

My questions about LAN gaming since I'm also not too familiar with it:
If it were a team play type situation, would on television have split screen, or does it usually involve a screen per individual, or both?

NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2003, 06:14:08 AM »
It would probablly be one person to each LCD due to their size, but it would be possible to make it split screen...

Wait a sec though, doesn't SSB:M have 28 charachters? If so wouldn't that seem just a tad ironic?

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2003, 06:21:15 AM »
Now, I'm sold on the idea.  Theoretically, if it were to happen (*fingers crossed*), let's look at costs and components with estimation.  What are we looking at as far as accessories other than already having a GCN and a copy of the title...assuming that you need two copies of the same title on a completely different GCN?

NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2003, 07:03:11 AM »
You can get a hub/switch/router for under 100.  We recently purchased a 16 port hub for around 100, it is a decent hub too.   Cables are cheap, if you make it, you can have 1000' cat5e cable for around 60, ends for 15, and nice crimpers for 30ish.  If you buy cable, it depends on the  length, but I would figure 10ish.   Now, is the GCN network gonna be 100mb or 1000mb?

Offline Tael

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2003, 06:22:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Uglydot
Now, is the GCN network gonna be 100mb or 1000mb?

The broadband adapter is 10Mbit.

Edit: Also, it's kinda weird that IGN says there are only 28 cars in F-Zero, when your position/rank is out of 30.  

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2003, 06:28:10 PM »
correction: it is 10/100Mb. I doubt they would release a gigabit ethernet adapter, as they are still around 40 dollars for pc...

Offline Tael

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2003, 06:38:08 PM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22
correction: it is 10/100Mb. I doubt they would release a gigabit ethernet adapter, as they are still around 40 dollars for pc...

That's strange, Nintendo's FAQ says it's 10Base-T:

What is the network protocol standard (speed rating) of the Nintendo GameCube Broadband Adapter?
The speed is 10Base-T. This adapter can only be used with 10Base-T compatible broadband connection devices and specially designed games that include on-line game features.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2003, 07:40:26 PM »
Nintendo's website is wrong.  I just booted up my Cube to check, and watched as the "100TX" light on my switch lit up.  While it's possible that it only communicates at 10Mbit, it's a proper 10/100 part.

I'm sure someone out there is thinking "what does it matter, when an Internet connection is rarely faster than 1.5Mbit anyway?"  Well, a single 10Mbit device on some 100Mbit hubs will force every device on the hub down to 10Mbit, lowering performance across the board.  Even if the adapter can't communicate at a full 100Mbit, telling the hub/switch that it can is important for maintaining performance on the rest of the network.

And of course, the more speed you have for LAN games, the better.  It would be nice if it were a true 100Mbit device, but that was asking for a lot.  10Mbit is still perfectly fine for LAN/Internet games.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2003, 08:30:47 PM »
not sure aboutthe rest of ya, but having tv's in seprate rooms seems to  defy the point , plus i don't want people in my room, that's why i have a huge tv in the  main room not my room.

if a group of nerds wants to set up a lan party and do all the work then hell i might go and enjoy it but  i am sure i can find  more things to do with my time besides that. online sounds like a solution to  playing alone, but with the lan you have to know people with cubes  and so forth and so on, have the same games and more and more. then who gets to play in the room with surround sound while the other guy gets stuck on the little 17 inch screen and  the other is on the big 61 incher.

sure this idea is good for some of you all and nothing wrong with that but  for the magority of gamers it's not a big deal.

Offline Tael

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2003, 08:56:11 PM »

Originally posted by: StRaNgE
if a group of nerds wants to set up a lan party and do all the work then hell i might go and enjoy it but i am sure i can find more things to do with my time besides that.
Having a LAN party is no more nerdy than normal multiplayer or online multiplayer with a console. In fact, I'd rate online play more nerdy, because at least for a LAN you have to go outside.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2003, 03:42:37 AM »

not sure aboutthe rest of ya, but having tv's in seprate rooms seems to defy the point , plus i don't want people in my room, that's why i have a huge tv in the main room not my room.

Which is where having LCD screens and a system as portable as the GC comes in handy, as Rick put it earlier. In a dorm room, you can have four people, each with their own cube, and three LCD screens (the person that lives there would just use their tv). You don't have to lug anything anywhere. Some schools even let the students use tvs from different classes so they can play. i used to go to my friend's school to play 16-player Halo. i'm not too into the game but it's fun with a lot of people. i'd like to see Nintendo do a college tour with LAN-ready games, and incorporate LAN gaming at the next Cube Clubs.

LAN gaming might not be something most people are doing now, but it's something a noticeable segment of the gaming public is doing, and given the fact that networking in general is where we're headed with consumer electronics, it's all the more reason to include it as an option in game systems.  
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2003, 04:06:28 AM »
I  was being very hopeful with the BB adaptor for the cube, but since 10/100 is so standard, I thought it would be that.   Since the chances of us having a deditacted Cube to host these games, I would hope that the adaptor is as fast as possible.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2003, 04:12:49 PM »
It is 100Mb not 1000Mb..

Offline Endo

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2003, 08:47:39 PM »
I think I remember hearing that Nintendo teaming up with Motorola to do some wireless networking.  If this holds true, we might not need to worry about wires and such.

Source: http://www.commsdesign.com
"NEW ORLEANS — Motorola Inc.'s Semiconductor Products Sector will use a proprietary frequency-hopping scheme developed for multiuser gaming as its indirect entry into 2.4-GHz wireless markets, corporate vice president Ray Burgess told the Smart Networks Developer Forum Tuesday (July 23).

The isochronous network, developed with input from Nintendo Co. Ltd., Sony Corp. and other game platform developers, will be extended into other markets to serve as a "feeder" for future ad-hoc mesh-based piconets that use 802.11 wireless technology as their underlying infrastructure, Burgess said.

Motorola was chided by Smart Networks keynoter Nicholas Negroponte for not having a strong 802.11 media-access controller and physical-layer offering. David Perkins, vice president and general manager of the networking and computing systems group at Motorola's Semiconductor Products Sector, said the unit's PowerPC processor often serves as a port aggregator in 802.11 access systems, giving Motorola a strong indirect role in wireless LANs. But Burgess said the company would bypass direct WLAN chip sets in favor of a two-pronged strategy of Bluetooth and isochronous game-LAN support.

Motorola remains committed to Bluetooth for embedded short-range applications where point-to-point networking is the primary target and interference with 802.11 is not a problem, Burgess said. But the multiuser gaming market required a very low latency network where traditional packet-collision problems precluded use of 802.11, he said. In order to develop such products, a coalition resembling Bluetooth was a hindrance rather than an advantage, he said.

"Our first target will not require industry support. We went with a proprietary modulation method, because we really don't need any alliances except with our gaming partners," Burgess said. "As the technology moves outside the gaming market, we could start opening up the details of our approach, and working with more partners."

Because the network is intended for streaming, near-real-time traffic and does not have to use LAN contention methods, developers of such systems will not have to worry about packet collisions with home networks based on 802.11, he said. The hopping modulation scheme will not interfere with either LANs or Bluetooth links in the unlicensed 2.4-GHz band. But as wireless LANs move to mesh-based piconets employing multihop routing across access points, the gaming LAN could be used as a local networking cluster operating in conjunction with 802.11, Burgess said.

Motorola and Nintendo have demonstrated the isochronous gaming LAN privately at gaming conferences over the last quarter. The RF subsystems will be ready for volume production in the second half of this year, Burgess said."

Sorry if the post is too long.