Author Topic: Games That Retro Studios Should Be Developing for the Wii U  (Read 52649 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Games That Retro Studios Should Be Developing for the Wii U
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
Those requesting Battletoads, have you gone back on played those games?  Battletoads is ****.  I thought it was cool as a kid as well because I liked the character design and the graphics and the beat-em-up gameplay.  But all the games are ridiculously hard to a point that is near unplayable.  You don't like Battletoads, you THINK you like Battletoads and the games sure look like they would be good but they're not.  They're cheap death bullshit games.

As for the OoT/MM remake - what the ****?  The 3DS remake of OoT wasn't enough for you?  Here at least half of us are talking about Retro making a new IP and you want to waste their time with remakes of old games you can play on the VC any time?!  Why the hell would Retro need to do this?  Fuckin' interns fresh out of DigiPen could do that.

As for Rare I maintain my opinion that the reason they suck now is because they're not working with Nintendo anymore.  The Rare/Nintendo team was what mattered.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »
As for Rare I maintain my opinion that the reason they suck now is because they're not working with Nintendo anymore.  The Rare/Nintendo team was what mattered.

That's part of it, but it's also because most of the people who made them great back in the day have left the company and they just don't have the talent they used to.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2011, 02:40:54 PM »
You know does Nintendo have a good beat 'em up franchise in there fold anymore?  I wouldn't mind a good one.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2011, 02:42:43 PM »
They could reboot Urban Champion like they're doing with Kid Icarus.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2011, 06:30:04 PM »
You know does Nintendo have a good beat 'em up franchise in there fold anymore?  I wouldn't mind a good one.

Does ANY company have a good beat 'em up franchise anymore?  Capcom has one of the best in Final Fight and the most recent game in that series is a complete joke.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2011, 06:42:41 PM »
How could you not like this game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD4HtkomZpA

Perhaps Retro Studios could supplement the lost workers at Silicone Knights to produce a Eternal Darkness sequel?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2011, 06:44:15 PM »

Perhaps Retro Studios could supplement the lost workers at Silicone Knights to produce a Eternal Darkness sequel?

Denniswith2playboybunnies.jpg

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2011, 06:47:18 PM »
I meant Silicon Knights.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2011, 06:57:09 PM »
Freudian slip.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2011, 07:04:03 PM »

I have Battlemaniacs.  Every playthrough works the same.

1. Beat first beat-em-up level which is the most fun level in the entire game.
2. Beat decending vertical shaft level which is not too bad.  Note that the game is following the template of the original NES Battletoads to a TEE here.  It is incredibly lazy design for a sequel.
3. Get stuck on stupid speeder bike level.

It never EVER changes.  When I play Final Fight or Streets of Rage the game doesn't suddenly put me in some obstacle course with completely unrelated gameplay that requires split-second perfect timing to complete.  The skills required to complete this aren't even related to the skills required to succeed in a beat-em-up.  Imagine if in the middle of Street Fighter you suddenly had to succeed at a shmup.  And what is really frustrating is that everyone hated the speeder bike bullshit in the orignal game and yet Rare kept bringing it back!

Battletoads has the basic gameplay of a very enjoyable beat-em-up but sucks because of constant gimmick levels which require expert timing and are completely unrelated to beat-em-up gameplay.  It's actually a lot like how Donkey Kong 64 is an enjoyable platformer ruined by doodad collecting run amok.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2011, 08:43:09 PM »

2. Beat decending vertical shaft level which is not too bad.  Note that the game is following the template of the original NES Battletoads to a TEE here.  It is incredibly lazy design for a sequel.

It never EVER changes.  When I play Final Fight or Streets of Rage the game doesn't suddenly put me in some obstacle course with completely unrelated gameplay that requires split-second perfect timing to complete.  The skills required to complete this aren't even related to the skills required to succeed in a beat-em-up.  Imagine if in the middle of Street Fighter you suddenly had to succeed at a shmup.  And what is really frustrating is that everyone hated the speeder bike bullshit in the orignal game and yet Rare kept bringing it back!

Battletoads has the basic gameplay of a very enjoyable beat-em-up but sucks because of constant gimmick levels which require expert timing and are completely unrelated to beat-em-up gameplay.  It's actually a lot like how Donkey Kong 64 is an enjoyable platformer ruined by doodad collecting run amok.

Good god! I never realized! Kytim that link you posted makes me take back my comment that was pro Battle Toads a page or so back. I'm so glad to have seen the rest of that game, but that was the devils trial! For one I realize the stages go on toooo long and it's nearly impossible to memorize because of how fast the obstacles come at you are. Who ever decided on that crap should get a huge punch in the eye! Battle Toads needs to stay dead!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2011, 08:49:12 PM »
Couldn't Battletoads just be made easier if it were ever revived? Just because the old games were hard doesn't necessarily mean a reboot has to be.

Anyway, why are we discussing Battletoads in this thread anyway? That was a Rare title. Retro is not Rare. I don't know why everyone is mixing them up. If Battletoads ever did come back it would be an Xbox exclusive because they are the ones who now own Rare and its IPs.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:27:16 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2011, 09:03:07 PM »
Ok, then what about a Battletoads Sports Resort? They could bring back Left Field to take care of it.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2011, 12:12:19 AM »
Then I will go back to my original idea.  Kirby Dreamland.

Motion Control Golf Game, with special power ups and fun platform-puzzle like elements.

Bonus games could include a Kirby pool game and Kirby bowling game.  These of course will need Motion plus controls, and be designed in such away that you could activate power ups and such after the initial motion control.  I think this game could be a blast to play.

OH...or Mega Man Soccer, where you players have life bars, regular bullets and limited special attacks, it plays like a Mutant League game...but with Mega Man robots.  Great idea....I'll take two.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2011, 01:35:26 AM »
Western developers and gamers tend to be attracted to games that have plenty of action, so whatever games and original IPs that Retro develops in the future will most likely be action oriented. As strange as it sounds, I actually like the prospects of them doing a Star Fox game because the potential for a lot of action in a space shooter is pretty reasonable.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2011, 05:04:28 AM »
Anyway, why are we discussing Battletoads in this thread anyway? That was a Rare title. Retro is not Rare. I don't know why everyone is mixing them up. If Battletoads ever did come back it would be an Xbox exclusive because they are the ones who now own Rare and its IPs.

No one is mixing up Rare and Retro. Kytim said imagine if Retro had access to Rare's IPs and then Insanolord said he would like a 'gritty reboot of Battletoads." but that Rare still held the IP.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2011, 08:40:50 PM »

Ahahaha...so true. I've never EVER gotten past level three. Still, I did like that game, as impossible as it might be. It had a certain style.

But let's be real, Killer Instinct was a way better game anyway.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2011, 09:00:55 PM »
Killer Instict was an unbalanced Knockoff of Mortal Kombat

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2011, 09:02:08 PM »
And it was awesome.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2011, 09:13:47 PM »
Killer Instict was an unbalanced Knockoff of Mortal Kombat

Isn't Mortal Kombat just an unbalanced knockoff of Street Fighter II?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »
All 2D fighters are a knock off of Nintendo's Urban Champion and Kung-Fu games for the NES. Nintendo is the ones who invented the genre. Too bad they abandoned it in later years.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2011, 11:14:29 PM »
Every single video game ever made is just some kind of knockoff of Spacewar.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2011, 01:51:16 AM »
now everyone is just trolling....

so wasn't there a time when Nintendo just let Rare make up franchises and 40% of them became beloved?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2011, 02:01:03 AM »
Back to Battle

Ahahaha...so true. I've never EVER gotten past level three. Still, I did like that game, as impossible as it might be. It had a certain style.

I think most people who love the game are really just in love with the style. I keep thinking that I love Battletoads, but whenever I try to play it I just get pissed off and rage quit.
The style makes it worth revisiting, but to recreate the gameplay would only appeal to the MOST extreme gamers while toning it down would be being unfaithful to the franchise. Kind of a lose-lose.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2011, 06:01:10 PM »
Battle Toads was the cool Ninja Turtles back in the day.  It is equivalent to Mario and Sonic.  The Ninja Turtle games were better than the Battle Toads games, but the Battle Toads had attitude and were just more awesome to be.  Just the same, the Mario games were always better than the Sonic games.  (There is not a single Sonic game better than any main Mario game entry.)  But Sonic was the fresh cool kid on the block. 

I remember everybody wanting a Ninja Turtles vs. Battle Toads game.

So to merge the Battle Toads discussion and bring this thread back on topic.  I say, Retro should create a new IP and use an existing franchise that would be better than Ninja Turtles and Battle Toads combined...I am talking about a Story driven Usagi Yojimbo 3D Samurai game. 

You can take stories straight from the comics which have a huge variety of stories from silly, to horror, to historical.  Gameplay from duels, to stealth, to taking on huge armies, and monsters.  This game is the game I want to see made....since an animated cartoon series is unlikely...finally all this can be done and keep the game al ages appropriate because how Usagi Yojimbo handles death in the comic.