Author Topic: Games That Retro Studios Should Be Developing for the Wii U  (Read 52654 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Games That Retro Studios Should Be Developing for the Wii U
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2011, 04:33:15 PM »
I like what Kytim suggested about a 2D Metroid game done in a similar fashion as Batman Arkham City/Asylum. That would be awesome. That is exactly how a Metroid game should play, imho.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2011, 08:36:40 PM »
I like what Kytim suggested about a 2D Metroid game done in a similar fashion as Batman Arkham City/Asylum. That would be awesome. That is exactly how a Metroid game should play, imho.

I said a 2D Metroid game developed by Wayforward with Nintendo's supervision and a third person console Metroid developed by Retro in the style of Batman Arkham Asylum/City.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2011, 12:45:45 AM »

I said a 2D Metroid game developed by Wayforward with Nintendo's supervision and a third person console Metroid developed by Retro in the style of Batman Arkham Asylum/City.

Do you put any serious thought into things you post or do you just pull them out of your ass? Where did you pull WayForward from? Why should they produce a new 2D Metroid? I only know them from Contra 4, but by the looks of things it's the only thing they've produced worth mentioning.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2011, 12:54:15 AM »
WayForward did the recent Metroid-esque Aliens: Infestation for DS, which I think got good reviews.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2011, 12:59:35 AM »

Do you put any serious thought into things you post or do you just pull them out of your ass? Where did you pull WayForward from? Why should they produce a new 2D Metroid? I only know them from Contra 4, but by the looks of things it's the only thing they've produced worth mentioning.

Why don't you get your head out of your ass and not respond to any of my posts if they displease you, Dasmos.

As for Wayforward, they have produced a number of quality of 2D sides scrollers for the DS, Wii and 3DS and with Nintendo's help they could make a good 2D Metroid game for the 3DS.

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2011, 01:39:37 AM »
Why don't you get your head out of your ass and not respond to any of my posts if they displease you, Dasmos.

Trust me when I say I leave a lot of them alone.

As for Wayforward, they have produced a number of quality of 2D sides scrollers for the DS, Wii and 3DS and with Nintendo's help they could make a good 2D Metroid game for the 3DS.

Yeah and Firebrand Games have made a number of good quality racers for Nintendo platforms, but it doesn't mean they should make the next Mario Kart or F-Zero game. It just seems you bring these devs out of left field and just because WayForward probably could make a halfway decent Metroid game doesn't mean they should, especially considering the massive scrutiny the AAA Nintendo franchises garner.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2011, 01:54:58 AM »
Didn't WayForward do the Shantae series that people seem to love?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2011, 02:03:26 AM »
So this thread got a lot more interesting after today's news.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2011, 02:06:24 AM »
today's news?

what did i miss?

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2011, 02:08:02 AM »
Miyamoto easing up on his duties, I assume?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2011, 02:11:10 AM »
If you think about it Samus and Batman are very similar to one another. They are both super heroes equipped with amazing super gadgets and the Arkham City/Asylum games play very similar to what you would expect out of a Metroid game. The setting and everything is very different, but at the heart of it all the gameplay is very similar. Samus is like a futuristic sci-fi female version of Batman.

I remember in the Prime series Samus could call in her spaceship to do a bombing run on some pirates. It reminded me of something similar that happened in a Batman movie once, where he calls in the Batmobile and it is automated. So like I said, very similar. Plus there's also the grappling and swinging around which Samus does with the Grapple beam, and Batman also does that in a more low tech sort of way with his batarang cable thing attached to his belt.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2011, 02:11:48 AM »
Didn't WayForward do the Shantae series that people seem to love?

They make good quality 2D side scrollers, so having them make a Metroid games does not seem that strange to me.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »
Call me crazy, but I would love for Retro to keep on reinventing dead franchises that are quick to make and test their creativity. 

I would love to see them do a Kirby Dream Course sequel.  (Yeah I said it.)

And while they are at it...get Capcom to OK them doing a 3D Mega Man game exclusive to the WiiU.  Revive the franchise only for Nintendo.  (2D is acceptable too.)  Also I would totally revive Mega Man soccer...that game had so much potential, but was poorly executed...I still see gold in that series...please somebody remake it.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2011, 12:26:08 AM »
Making a new Star Tropics and Star Fox game would be nice for Retro to do. Also, I would not mind seeing them make totally redone reimaginings of both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask for the Wii U. Simply remove the N64 architecture from the games and reinsert the Wii U architecture and polish everything with HD visuals.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2011, 12:38:37 AM »
Simply remove the N64 architecture from the games and reinsert the Wii U architecture and polish everything with HD visuals.

None of that makes any sense, though that shouldn't surprise anyone at this point.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2011, 12:45:04 AM »
Kytime:  That would be pretty cool...though I would think mostly pointless...unless they can actually put both of the games together somehow.  Like allow Link to go into a special dream house that takes him into the world of Majora's Mask...You think this Dream World is just that...but when you come out of it...you realize that your items in the real world changed somehow...evolved or graphically became different.  This mechanic could be used introduce item upgrades, into both games, and then of course you change the ending of the games to surprise players.  I would love to see something like if you save the world of Majora's Mask, you release the moon into the real Hyrule, and then you have the last moments of Hyrule a race in time to finish Gannon before the end of the world.  This special difficult ending only happens if you finish the MM dream sequences before defeating Gannondorf...and the surprise boss would be a Majora's Mask infused Ganon/Ganondorf to fight. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2011, 12:48:39 AM »
Even if that were going to happen, Retro is not the team that should be handling it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2011, 01:01:22 AM »
What about if they gave Earthbound to Retro?

Darnit stogi beat me. Ok, Battletoads and Pilotwings then. They could have hang gliding, battling toads.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:07:24 AM by Zap »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2011, 01:09:47 AM »
I could totally go for a gritty Battletoads reboot, but I think Rare still owns the rights to the franchise.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2011, 01:36:54 AM »
I could totally go for a gritty Battletoads reboot, but I think Rare still owns the rights to the franchise.

A new Battletoad game would kick ass.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2011, 01:38:56 AM »
When was the last Battletoads, SNES? Never beat the that or the first one. Loved playing as a fighting toad though. Remember those names? Zitz, Pimples, Rash! That's nasty!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2011, 01:43:27 AM »
The last console one was for SNES and Genesis in 1993. They released an arcade game in 1994 though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2011, 01:47:16 AM »
I will probably get chewed up for this, but Retro Studios should do their own version of Perfect Dark. Not the actual Perfect Dark, of course, but a spiritual successor. I kind of thought that the Conduit series would do this, but it failed and so the opprotunity rests on Retro's shoulders to burden.

I apologize for doing this, but the success of Retro Studios makes me kind of mad that Rare was sold to Microsoft because had they stayed with Nintendo then Retro could have taken over some, or all, of their IPs and made them better. Think about what they could have done with Battletoads, Killer Insticnt and Perfect Dark to name a few.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:05:18 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2011, 03:03:06 AM »
I would love a proper Gist sequel.  The first game had a lot of promise, but the developer didn't have the chops to do it proper justice.  Retro still shouldn't do it...but it would be good.

That is the thing, there are lots of games available to be redone well, and a lot of games with great concepts executed poorly.  I wonder if Retro studios wants to make their own IP or if they are happy playing with dream franchises from Nintendo?

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2011, 05:06:49 AM »
I will probably get chewed up for this, but Retro Studios should do their own version of Perfect Dark. Not the actual Perfect Dark, of course, but a spiritual successor. I kind of thought that the Conduit series would do this, but it failed and so the opprotunity rests on Retro's shoulders to burden.

I apologize for doing this, but the success of Retro Studios makes me kind of mad that Rare was sold to Microsoft because had they stayed with Nintendo then Retro could have taken over some, or all, of their IPs and made them better. Think about what they could have done with Battletoads, Killer Insticnt and Perfect Dark to name a few.

Why? It would have been a bad move business wise if Rare stayed as a second party and started giving their franchises over to Nintendo. Nintendo would have had to buy Rare to gain their IPs.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle