Author Topic: Games That Retro Studios Should Be Developing for the Wii U  (Read 52648 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Games That Retro Studios Should Be Developing for the Wii U
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 06:37:16 PM »
I want Nintendo making things that aren't already done to death by third parties.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 06:58:33 PM »
I want Nintendo making things that aren't already done to death by third parties.

Agreed. I'm pretty sick of FPS' at this point, i'd rather it go the way of the platformer and let another popular genre take over.

As for Retro they're my favourite developer outside of Nintendo themselves whatever they make I'm sure I'll be happy with. I guess if they aren't doing an original I.P I'd like to see them take on a franchise that has been neglected for awhile just like how Metroid was before they worked on Prime.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 08:49:01 PM »
The thing about the FPS genre is that there's little variety there. Most modern shooters follow the Call of Duty mold, Halo is a little different but mostly in theme. They all share at least one thing in common and that's that they strive for realism. What if an FPS had the Nintendo touch? If you're tired of FPS games then maybe it's because there isn't much variety there. Nintendo games always have at least one touch that makes them something more unique, and I imagine that's one of the reasons we're all fans.

What I would want to see is a game that went back and followed in the footsteps left by Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64. We should be past the point where shooters have wide open, outdoor stages just to show off what the hardware can do, and go back to making well designed corridor and indoor levels. Forget the two weapon limit, let us carry all the weapons we come across. Throw balance out the window, give us 41 weapons again. Toss in all the different modes, options, and other features that we used to have. And by mop, give us cheats again!

...What was the last official word about TimeSplitters 4?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 09:41:12 PM »
FPS games may have been done to death by 3rd parties, but they haven't been done by Nintendo at all. That's exactly why it needs to be done. Nintendo would give it their A+ touch and it would stand out for that reason.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 09:56:21 PM »
No, that's exactly why Nintendo should be focusing their resources on other things. I have no doubt that Nintendo could make an excellent FPS if they set their mind to it, but I think they'd get much more bang for their buck by doing something more original. No matter what they do, they're not going to be able to outdo CoD and Battlefield, at least in terms of market share and perception, and now that they're going to have a console that can run the full versions of those people can just play those games on the Wii U while Nintendo makes games that you don't see other developers making.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 10:15:37 PM »
as far as fps games go. You have your Halo type game, or you have your Call of Duty type game. The only people who do anything different worth a damn seem to be valve. I know Nintendo doesn't have the Goldeneye License, but that shouldn't stop them from making 60s esque spy games. Though they do have the metroid series, and its too bad the Prime games are done because they could look really really really good on Wii U. I wonder what Armature games are doing.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 10:41:41 PM »
What worries me is that a purely Nintendo shooter will not be want your generic COD or Halo fan wants.

Nintendo has this unfortunate habit of trying to cater to everyone with every game. Therefore I would be worries that this particular title will be nothing but a rail shooter using nerf guns to tone down the violence for the little kiddies out there (who funnily enough pretty much all play the blood and gore filled swearfests of Battlefield or COD). 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 11:05:05 PM »
What about a Mario FPS game involving paintball guns? You could play online with up to like 12 players and you could choose between all the Mario characters like Peach and Yoshi, and of course Waluigi.
is your sanity...

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 11:09:25 PM »
That is exactly what I'm talking about above. That is not what the majority want.  They want to see blood all over the screen and exploding bodies, with every second word beginning with F or S. 

That would be like comparing Mario Kart to Forza or Gran Turismo.  Noone who is looking at buying Forza 5 is going to be tempted to by MarioKart U instead.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 11:42:40 PM »
I know we've all wanted Mario Paintball, so yeah. Anyhow, I'd imagine If Nintendo shows off some beautiful new shooting game with a different theme then people will jump ship because I'm sure by now they must be tired of the same old ****. Thats why I said the 60s spy theme. I like that genre, but am not tied to jamesbond, just classy people wearing classy stuff shooting each other with pistols and drinking martinis.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011, 11:45:21 PM »
Faceball 3000.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2011, 12:01:02 AM »
A family friendly FPS E rated game has not been made by anyone (as far as I know), so if Nintendo were to make that it would be something new and original and since nothing else like it exists they would have the only thing like it in the whole world. Plus it would have the Mario universe characters, so that alone would be a major plus compared to anything any 3rd party could ever do.
is your sanity...

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011, 01:16:24 AM »
A family friendly FPS E rated game has not been made by anyone (as far as I know)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIwPc-e2zKY

Super Noah's Ark, where Noah knocks out animals with a slingshot to take aboard the Ark, built on the Doom 1 engine

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2011, 02:42:50 AM »
I really hope what Retro is working on, is something that they want.   They seem to be really talented, and I get the feeling if it's something they want to do, they will put a lot of passion into it.

I'm not so sure how I feel about them going back to another Nintendo Franchise.   In some ways I kinda wonder what would happen if they did an original game, or even branched out and did an exclusive game for Nintendo but with another companies license.    Kinda like Factor 5 did with Rogue Squadron. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2011, 02:56:52 AM »
A family friendly FPS E rated game has not been made by anyone (as far as I know)

Super Noah's Ark, where Noah knocks out animals with a slingshot to take aboard the Ark, built on the Doom 1 engine

Be that as it may, there needs to be a family friendly FPS game for modern consoles using a modern game engine and graphics.
is your sanity...

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2011, 08:31:37 AM »

Be that as it may, there needs to be a family friendly FPS game for modern consoles using a modern game engine and graphics.

Some families don't find weapons 'family friendly'.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2011, 09:31:11 AM »
What about a Mario FPS game involving paintball guns? You could play online with up to like 12 players and you could choose between all the Mario characters like Peach and Yoshi, and of course Waluigi.

That is exactly what I'm talking about above. That is not what the majority want.  They want to see blood all over the screen and exploding bodies, with every second word beginning with F or S. 

That would be like comparing Mario Kart to Forza or Gran Turismo.  Noone who is looking at buying Forza 5 is going to be tempted to by MarioKart U instead.

Actually its all in how its done.  If Nintendo could make a Mario vs game that just happened to be a first person or 3rd person shooter, but felt like Mario I would be all for it.

Though I think this game would be better as a 3rd person arena game.  Imagine playing a 3D verse Mario game with the gameplay of Mario galaxy.  It would be utterly amazing, sure you would have to be careful how you design the levels, but there could be a lot of variety in game modes, power ups and basically Nintendo could make a fun competitive Nintendo VS game that was like a FPS without really being one.  Just like Smash Brothers originally was like a fighting game, but also not really a fighting game.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2011, 11:16:47 AM »
Since Majora's Mask was devloped for the N64 a few years after Ocarina of Time, so what if Retro Studios made the next home console Zelda title that took about two or three years to make versus the time it took Skyward Sword to be made.
That won't work because Majora's Mask used the same engine as Ocarina of Time, which allowed it to be developed in a shorter time, just like Super Mario Galaxy 2 came less than 3 years after the first.

Offline yosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2011, 12:28:31 AM »
I'd like to see Nintendo develop a new FPS IP something kinda like Halo, but Nintendo. It would be fun to play, probably an excellent game, and it would sell consoles in the Western markets especially here in the US.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 01:02:01 PM »
A family friendly FPS E rated game has not been made by anyone (as far as I know), so if Nintendo were to make that it would be something new and original and since nothing else like it exists they would have the only thing like it in the whole world. Plus it would have the Mario universe characters, so that alone would be a major plus compared to anything any 3rd party could ever do.

Ugh.  What a waste.  Nintendo has a million family friendly franchises already.  There is no need for another one.  Once in a while Nintendo makes something with a little more edge to it like Fire Emblem, Metroid and non-toon Zelda and the results are awesome.  Let the kids play their Mario and Kirby (which I also will play) and let's have something for more adult tastes.  I don't care if no one is making a kid's FPS.  Nintendo isn't making any FPS games at all.

insanolord doesn't want Nintendo working on the same thing third parties will work on.  Third parties don't do **** on Nintendo systems.  If a Wii owner wants some good FPS action, Nintendo has to provide it.

I want Retro on a new IP but I want new IP from ALL Nintendo teams.  Nintendo is in a total rutt creatively.  It's just the same franchises again and again and again.  They introduced the Wii Series and have run that into the ground pretty damn fast too.  Stupid Wuhu Island shows up everywhere and I want nothing to do with that ****.  It comes across less like a cherished Nintendo franchise and more like a lazy excuse to cut corners.  Nintendo gives off the vibe that coming up with something new is too much work.

Retro is very creative.  They have to be to have made Metroid Prime.  DKC Returns almost felt like a waste.  The Wii has tons of side-scrollers.  Why did Retro have to make another one?  And their work on Mario Kart 7?  That's nothing.  That's just treating them like some generic dev used for temp work.  It reminds me of Nintendo wasting Silicon Knights by having them port MGS, something ANY dev could have done.  If any dev can do it, then there is no point in Retro doing it.  There is no point in having talented devs to have them make the same bullshit that EAD themselves would have made.

If Retro doesn't work on Star Fox, someone else will.  If I can have someone else work on it, then it seems like a waste.  Retro is very talented and Nintendo should use that to their advantage to branch out beyond the same old thing.

Though if they are to just work on the same old bullshit, I suggest Metroid Prime just to get Sakamoto away from the series.  Metroid is at a crossroads now and Retro is the only dev I trust to not completely destroy it.  Star Fox needs saving but Metroid needs it too.  One more Other M and the series could be toast.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2011, 01:15:40 PM »
What I would want to see is a game that went back and followed in the footsteps left by Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64. We should be past the point where shooters have wide open, outdoor stages just to show off what the hardware can do, and go back to making well designed corridor and indoor levels. Forget the two weapon limit, let us carry all the weapons we come across. Throw balance out the window, give us 41 weapons again. Toss in all the different modes, options, and other features that we used to have. And by mop, give us cheats again!

Resistance 3.  Seriously, it's not that far off from what you asked for.  Just apparently don't play it with the Move.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Monteblanco

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2011, 05:13:20 PM »
I hope they are doing a new IP but I would take anything they bring to the table.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2011, 05:35:35 PM »
Thinking more about Nintendo making an FPS game, the real time to do it was on the Gamecube (well I guess they did with Geist but I mean one made by a GOOD dev).  Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were cutting edge console FPS games.  Had Nintendo continued in that direction on the Gamecube they would probably have one of the more successful FPS series going.  But they didn't and now the FPS genre is so tied in with online play and Nintendo is behind the times on that.  Could they be trusted to deliver something relevent that could compete with Halo and CoD when over ten years has gone by since then?  It would be a lot to ask for them to get it right in the first try.

I think their best bet is to focus on single player for an FPS.  There is no requirements in having online play with such a title and it would let them do all sorts of creative things without having to worry about weapon balancing.  Bioshock is considered one of the best games of this gen and it has no multiplayer.  I always loved the single player of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.  Nintendo could get Retro to make a new FPS IP that is just a great FPS game and not some competitive online deathmatch e-sport.  Designing a game for deathmatch is restrictive anyway.  And if they want to have multi as an option who says they can't do co-op?

Who wants Nintendo is just make some space marine bro-shooter anyway?  The whole appeal is that Retro and Nintendo could do something different - just not Mario Paintball please!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2011, 06:17:44 PM »
Though if they are to just work on the same old bullshit, I suggest Metroid Prime just to get Sakamoto away from the series.  Metroid is at a crossroads now and Retro is the only dev I trust to not completely destroy it.  Star Fox needs saving but Metroid needs it too.  One more Other M and the series could be toast.

I would be happy with them working on Metroid again, but I don't want to see another Metroid Prime game. The series is a trilogy and it should end on that note. However, the Metroid universe still exists and there should be plenty of other NEW things for Samus to do and NEW places for her to go and NEW foes to fight. So yes, there should be another Metroid game, but not another Metroid Prime game.

As for Other M, that piece of trash should be quietly swept under the rug and never spoke of again.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2011, 06:27:28 PM »
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/958971-water-warfare

Resistance 3.  Seriously, it's not that far off from what you asked for.  Just apparently don't play it with the Move.
I can no longer stand to play shooters with an analogue stick, so it needs to be on the Wii.