Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 615447 times)

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #2275 on: February 04, 2012, 06:14:07 PM »
THE SAND SEA IS AMAZING.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #2276 on: February 04, 2012, 08:28:07 PM »

My quick thoughts on the game...

I have logged 82-83 hours into Skyward Sword so far. I'm in my second playthrough (Hero Mode) and I'm focusing a lot more on getting all the Goddess Cubes and doing all the side challenges. I'm still finding areas I have not seen before. As for the puzzles, they are very well designed, unlike Twilight Princess I never felt lost or completely baffled. In my second playthrough they are just as ingenious as they were the first time. I LOVE the characters of Skyloft-- I am actually more interested in helping them out even more than gaining the rewards for doing so.

The motion controls are solid. I have never had an issue with swordplay and I've often gone for many hours in one go without needing to recalibrate the Wii MotionPlus (pointer controls I do need to reset often, but that never gets in the way of things). However, the only time I don't feel that it's responsive enough is when I'm trying to deflect attacks with my shield and my Nunchuk movements aren't being registered (or I'm just slow).

The 4th and 5th dungeons are my favorite ones, but the last one is pretty awesome too. However, I liked the variety that TP offered, while Skyward Sword did feel like I was revisiting the same dungeons again later on (TP has 9 unique dungeons, Skyward Sword has 7). I'm a bit disappointed in how useless the treasures become later on (especially after you've upgraded everything).

All in all, Skyward Sword is an outstanding game.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: February 04, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »
I have already made it to the water temple, but I am kind of ticked that I have not yet aquired the bow yet. 
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: February 05, 2012, 10:06:50 AM »
This thread has become my own personal Zelda log. I'm okay with that.

Just finished the fourth dungeon and DAMN. What a dungeon. It had a bit of an atypical structure (the way you go through it) and a malleable structure (building) that made it memorable. I really like all the dungeons thus far, but that one's the best. Also the whip is a glorious item. It's like the grappling hook with bonus fun. Hope that's used for the rest of the game. I also must say the bosses have also been delightful thus far. When I looked at the boss for this fourth dungeon, I assumed this one was going to be obvious. Not true. It had like four phases and kept going long past the obvious stopping point.

Thus far in my 17 hours of playing, I have enjoyed to varying degrees all but 15 minutes of it.

Yeah the ancient cistern is probably my favourite zelda dungeon ever (and that boss omfg that boss is also the best boss ever) . Anyways, i was one of the people who was being negative about skyward sword in this thread but dont let that deter you. You like what you like, it's just different tastes is all.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:40:21 PM by Lithium »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: February 05, 2012, 11:03:29 PM »
I wish I had Ghirahim's theme music and the sound effects of Imprisoned[/spolier] as a ringtone.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:08:33 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: February 05, 2012, 11:07:52 PM »
How is the final boss of this game related to non-Ganon Zelda villians?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:10:30 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: February 05, 2012, 11:49:17 PM »
He's not.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: February 06, 2012, 12:02:38 AM »
He's not.

Is he related to Ganon? [/spolier]

Has anyone noticed all of the sexual innuendos with Ghirahim?

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: February 06, 2012, 12:59:32 AM »
He's not.

You could say that. The connection has upset quite a few die hard fans over at Zelda Dungeon

I don't see how you could miss Ghirahim's innuendo.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:04:34 AM by Tamazoid »
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: February 06, 2012, 01:03:45 AM »
Is Fi a robot or some kind of spirit?

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: February 06, 2012, 01:06:19 AM »
Is Fi a robot or some kind of spirit?

Kind of both, though more the former.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: February 06, 2012, 03:56:59 AM »
He's not.

To anyone who has seen dragonball (the original, not Z) Ghirahim is basically the general blue of Skyward sword haha.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: February 06, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »
He's not.

Who said he's not? My interpretation is that he is.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: February 06, 2012, 06:33:14 PM »

It kind of depends on how people interpret his final words.  When he says his anger will someday be reincarnated some people think this means Ganondorf is his literally reincarnation.  Others view this as more of a metaphor where Demise is saying someone with anger for the gods like his will someday appear and continue his will to spread darkness across the world, similar to how other villains in fiction love to say as long as there's darkness/hatred in the hearts of men they'll always exist because others will continue in some way the same thing they were doing.

So basically there's no correct answer at the moment until either future games outright say what the right answer is or Aonuma says what the right answer is in an interview.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: February 08, 2012, 12:37:04 AM »
Just beat the fifth temple which was, again, wonderful. I don't have the best memory of all the Zelda temples, but Skyward Sword's seem like a cut above. The only temple I remember from Twilight Princess is that snow mansion one. The set up for the boss fight was awesome. I was kind of hoping the whole fight would have been that insane set piece, but it was great while it lasted. The boss fight was pretty predictable which was disappointing after that set up. I also take back what I said earlier about areas not being as satisfying on the return trip as they were initially. At least with the Lanayru desert, the return trip was just as awesome as the first one. 21 hours in. I have loved 20:45 of that.

RFN has talked about not liking (or not preferring rather) the idea of the areas in this game being segmented from each other. I do agree it was a negative aspect of Metroid Prime 3, but it's not bothering me at all here. In previous Metroids, part of the joy you get towards the end of those games is seeing just how brilliantly connected all the areas are and Prime 3 ditched that completely. That was never an aspect of Zelda games. Lanayru Desert by itself has to be close to the size of all of Ocarina of Time in terms of square footage. Also, is it possible this game has some Mass Effect influence? Skyloft is Zelda's version of the Normandy. The disconnected, segmented areas. Lip service paid to dialog choices. Granted, they're both doing wildly different things, but it's interesting.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #2291 on: February 08, 2012, 05:47:08 PM »
So I just beat the game! I really took my time to get through everything not so much as to savor the adventure, but because I have to work I made sure to not rush through everything and take some time to smell the roses. The environments are rich and exciting and they should be absorbed with some appreciation.
What I didn't like are Fi and the constant talk about if you do this one last thing THEN you'll be the True Hero. It felt like they were just blowing smoke up my ass and I just wonder if the meaning or intent was lost in translation somewhere.  The inclusion of new, but vaguely explained characters was sort of frustrating and I hope they are touched upon in future games. I totally missed the inclusion of Hyrule's inhabitants- mostly many Goron and all of the Zoras and maybe the whole life of the world will one day be experienced in one game. Overall this game is excellent and it's hard for me to imagine how else I would want to play a Zelda game. During the last boss I actually found myself trembling before I swing the sword, the scene was tense and I enjoyed it to the end.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: February 09, 2012, 03:22:04 PM »
Sixth dungeon in the bag. That was probably the least good dungeon of the game thus far. It was fine, just pretty forgettable and average. The boss fight was also a repeat, but still good. The lead up to the dungeon was also not the best. That nonsense involving the basin was most definitely filler. It would have been less terrible if they gave some explanation for why you couldn't simply land where you needed to like you do every other time you drop into an area, but they don't. So after arguably the best bit of the game, we get the worst. Again, still fine, just not up to par with almost everything that's come before. I know I'm nearing the end and **** is about to get real. So that's exciting.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: February 14, 2012, 06:56:59 PM »
Skyward Sword, you have been completed.

Um, in case you haven't seen my previous posts in this thread, I freaking loved this game. LOVED. Sure, there were probably 2-3 hours of the 35 hours I spent playing this I could have done without, but everything else was gold. Best dungeons of any Zelda game, best art direction (!) of any Zelda game, most involved overworld, great controls... yeah. In the end, Wind Waker still remains no. 1 in my book, but this came far closer than I was anticipating. Great game.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: February 14, 2012, 10:36:08 PM »
Glad to see someone else fully enjoyed it.  I personally believe it to be the best zelda yet but thats just me.  I have to say though that this release revitalized my waning enthusiasm I was having for the series as a whole beforehand.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: February 14, 2012, 11:45:27 PM »
I'll also chime in to say this is by far my favorite Zelda.

RomanceDawn

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: March 22, 2012, 02:54:26 AM »
Glad to see someone else fully enjoyed it.  I personally believe it to be the best zelda yet but thats just me.  I have to say though that this release revitalized my waning enthusiasm I was having for the series as a whole beforehand.

I think one thing that really sets Skyward Sword apart from Twilight, WindWaker, etc... are the production values, which are ASTOUNDING.  Graphically, it takes what the Wii can do and just constantly amazes me.   I just stare.   The bosses, the way they're animated, the levels, the amount of money, effort, and manpower that must have gone into this is simply mindboggling for a Nintendo game. 

BTW, anyone notice that a lot of the art assets, or rather, a lot of ideas are borrowed from Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass?   Especially the way the boss doors open, with the little clouds of dust kicking up.   And the way arrows are worked into environmental puzzles.

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: March 22, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »
It's too bad Zelda doesn't perform like 2D Mario or even 3D Mario. I wonder what they are going to try to do to increase sales dramatically? Maybe a full blown top down Zelda?

RomanceDawn

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: March 22, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »
You mean something like Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks? Or something with sprites again?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: March 22, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »
I guess I kind of meant both. But thinking about the ds titles now I realize that isn't the answer. Seems like so much work and money goes into Zelda but its not ever green like 2d Mario. Not that it needs it, but voice acting and maybe a bigger scope as far as the whole advenure is concerned would broaden the appeal. Cause awesome motion controls sire didn't. Though had this game come out early in the Wiis lifetime it might have taken the world by storm.

RomanceDawn