Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 615417 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #2200 on: December 23, 2011, 09:42:21 AM »
Well Unclebob just reminded me I need to pick up Pokemon Snap and Majora's Mask sometime...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: December 23, 2011, 02:15:37 PM »
People keep mentioning 3 Silent Realms, I swear I did 4 of them. Or maybe I just kept reading things wrong.

The last one I was not a fan of. The first few I did them on my first try. That last one took me forever.

4? OK now I will really have a hard time motivating myself to finish the game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: December 23, 2011, 05:47:01 PM »
Well, my best friend was over today, and he wanted to see Zelda.  He's not a fan of motion controls, so I ended up showing him the bosses through the Boss Rush mode (earning the unbreakable Hylian Shield in the process).  At that point, we pretty much figured "why not?", so I actually went and cleared the final dungeon and beat the final two bosses.  That last boss was almost enough to convince me to keep the game.  I have to admit, I didn't much like this Zelda game, but that was a pretty awesome final boss (we both got a kick out of what happened when you summoned a Skyward Strike in that battle).  I really didn't like the final fight with Ghirahem, though.  It is extremely critical that you can stab on command in that fight, and the controls just wouldn't let me do that.  Link kept doing the overhead slash, instead.  The ending was...interesting in how it set up the whole "Legend of Zelda".

Incidentally, after I beat the game, my friend said he had seen enough of the game and never wanted to play it himself.

Overall, I think this is a pretty overrated and deeply flawed game full of obnoxious padding and control issues.  Is it a bad game?  No, not really.  But I really didn't like it.  It seemed in the push to "revolutionize the franchise", the designers "threw the baby out with the bath water" as it were and ditched all the exploration and interesting worlds that made Zelda what it was.  Hopefully, next time they do better.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 05:56:53 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2203 on: December 24, 2011, 09:37:48 PM »
I was wondering why everyone was complaining about the musical notes part and then I got to it and said, "Oh..." The Song of the Hero stretch of the game has been especially awful.

I don't have too much further to go. I believe there's one more Silent Realm. I'm trying to get the fancy shield from the Thunder Dragon. I had to quit after the 5th round because I forgot how to beat Koloktos and lost most of my hearts in that round. I should be able to get the shield tonight. I know where 3 of the last 4 heart pieces are but since I'm never going to beat Fun Fun Island, I'm not too concerned. The Thunder Dragon has 1 and the mine kart mini-game has the other that I know of. The last one might be in a Goddess Cube since I completed all the Gratitude Crystal quests. I may only have a like 1 or 2 Goodess Cubes left to find.

Fledge was a total dick with the last pumpkins in the Pumpkin Pull mini-game. I scored 580 three different times. He takes so long to throw them then throws really far and/or high as time is winding down.

I saw a pretty nifty video of the pumpkin minigame it it basically shows how to score a perfect score you just have to aim your arrow by his head and fire just as he is releasing it. Maybe he changes up the timing up more then other times you play and you haven't come across a good set yet.

Anyway I upgraded nearly all my items. I think I only need to upgrade the quiver fully now. I am just about to start the 3rd silent realm in a little bit. So for the rest of the game I will likely just working on the main plot and when I can just spreading out whatever goddess cubes and Graditude crystals I have left. 
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: December 25, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »
Dear Faron Dragon, you and your tadtones can go to hell.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: December 25, 2011, 03:17:25 PM »
I finally finished the game not too long ago, making Skyward Sword the second game I've beaten on Christmas Day. Metroid Prime was the first. My opinions of each game couldn't be more different.

I hated Skyward Sword.

Plot-wise, there are some odd choices and plot-holes. Why didn't old Impa just destroy the second Gate of Time once Demise was defeated in the present? Then, there are no more things that can happen. Link would have defeated Ghirahim if he even bothered to show up after his master's defeat. That's just poor storytelling. It gets worse. The Triforce can grant ANY wish. Why doesn't anyone use the Triforce to destroy Demise's hatred, preventing it from being reborn? Seems like a major oversight seeing as Link and Zelda are standing right in front of the Triforce at the end. That would negate the entire series.

On top of that, this game shouldn't even exist. From what I understand, despite no explanation for his existence, The Demon King, Demise, emerged from the earth to seize the Triforce. Hylia saves the humans (and no one else) by raising Skyloft above the clouds then returns to the surface to defeat and seal away Demise (as The Imprisioned). Here's the part I don't understand: Instead of giving up her immortality to keep Demise sealed away, why doesn't Hylia just use her divine powers to drop a floating island/The Sky Keep onto Demise herself? Seems a lot easier than setting up a super-elaborate chain of events of guiding Link to reforging the Master Sword (her own sword) and collecting the Triforce while also having her reborn human form (Zelda) reawaken her memories just to do something she could do herself and right away. Or if the wish-granting power of the Triforce is needed, why didn't Hylia just use the Triforce to wish for the destruction of Demise? Hylia gives up her power to keep Demise sealed when she could keep her power and destroy Demise. What the WHAT?!

Summary
There were parts that were enjoyable but as a whole, it's not. I'm a supporter of the existence of motion controls. I just don't particularly like them in Zelda. Nintendo could have evolved the gameplay with traditional controls; they just didn't. Aiming was fun but it was fun 5 years ago in Twilight Princess. Everything else that uses motion controls either lacked precision or could have been done just as well with traditional controls.

I finished the game in roughly 50 hours, including completing every Gratitude Crystal side-quest and getting all of the heart pieces besides the 3 you earn by completing mini-games. I estimate that it would have taken roughly half as long just going through the game normally. That's still too long considering the game is filled with mandatory boring/annoying parts. Take those out and Skyward Sword is a shorter but much better game.

A lot of the bosses look like Muppet rejects. They didn't look like they fit this game let alone the rest of the series.

The Lanayru Sand Sea was one of those coolest things I've ever seen in a videogame.

We talked about the series jumping the shark in another thread recently (or was it earlier in this one?). I definitely feel like it has. I look back on my favorite game in the series, A Link to the Past, and it's nothing like the Zelda games today. The series doesn't make sense any more. Mine carts? Mole mitts? How are these part of the same franchise?

I'd love to see Retro Studios do a one-off reboot of Zelda and give them free reign to change whatever they wanted. I always wanted to see a steampunk Zelda and considering what Retro Studios did with Elysia in Metroid Prime, I think they could pull it off. If Nintendo wants to put robots and trains and mine carts into the game, the entire world has to reflect that.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: December 25, 2011, 06:13:40 PM »
I'd love to see Retro Studios do a one-off reboot of Zelda and give them free reign to change whatever they wanted. I always wanted to see a steampunk Zelda and considering what Retro Studios did with Elysia in Metroid Prime

yes please!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: December 25, 2011, 10:14:12 PM »
I look back on my favorite game in the series, A Link to the Past, and it's nothing like the Zelda games today.

I'd love to see Retro Studios do a one-off reboot of Zelda and give them free reign to change whatever they wanted. I always wanted to see a steampunk Zelda [...]

And the internet says Zelda fans are hard to please... :D

The series doesn't make sense any more. Mine carts? Mole mitts? How are these part of the same franchise?

To be fair, mine carts have been around since the Oracle games and the Mogma Mitts are renamed Mole Mitts from the Minish Cap - which simply replace the shovel... first found in Link to the Past...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Nbz

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: December 25, 2011, 10:24:15 PM »
So I finally conquered Skyward Sword the other day at my Cousin's house while he watched me go through the final dungeon and the end game sequence. Put in a total of 49 hours, which is easily the most time I've spent with a Zelda game, and my overall opinions lean towards the very positive side of the spectrum.

The first thing I have to say is that I had 0 issues with motion control throughout my time with the game. Apart from re-centring the Bow/Beetle with the D-pad there was nothing I had to worry about. All my movements were perfectly re-created and I must applaud Nintendo again for showing us that motion control CAN work and can be done extremely well. I do think that swimming should have been assigned to the nunchuck, but the motion controls worked well enough so I wasn't too annoyed at that.

The next thing I'd like to touch on is Skyloft itself as a town. From what I experienced it is by far my favourite town in any Zelda game. Clock town is without a doubt the most living, breathing Zelda town, but Skyloft has that charm and instant likeability about it that seems absent in most other Zelda games. It essentially takes Wind Waker's charm and merges it with Clock Town's intricacy. Though it is small, and I would have loved to have many more explorable islands I still spent a huge amount of time simply running around Skyloft, not really doing much. It served as an excellent "break" in between dungeon's during the entirety of the game, and because of the way sidequests were opened up, I always had something to get on with after bombing through one of the areas below the clouds. I even discovered that I hadn't even visited all the houses on Skyloft even after 40 hours of gameplay, as the final two sidequests required me to visit the houses of two sets of people that I hadn't really interacted with before. Though it is without a doubt the area you get to know the best during your time with the game, when it came to the Silent Realm segment I actually didn't beat it on my first try, despite having not failed a single one yet. It took me 3 tries to get through it, which was really surprising. They had somehow managed to add challenge to a gameplay mechanic that is leveraged on your knowledge of the surrounding area, in an area which you pretty much know like the back of your hand at this point in the game.

Speaking of the Silent Realm, those segments were without a doubt my least favourite part of the game. I almost dreaded finishing off the 5th boss, simply because I knew that the next Silent Realm was in Eldin, and it was going to be a bitch. When I got through them it didn't seem so bad, but it was that overhanging dread before doing one which really got to me. But then again, it meant I messed around more in Skyloft as a procrastination technique, so I was happy nonetheless. I understand their presence in the game, as a means to diversify gameplay, but I really think that Nintendo could have gone about mixing up the gameplay mechanics in a more enjoyable way.

The thing in Skyward Sword that I took most pleasure from though, were the dungeons. Even though this game made it much easier to stop gameplay during a temple so that you could resume at a later time, I actually never found myself needing it. The dungeons were so compelling that I beat each individual one in a single sitting. My playstyle with games like Zelda is ususally to save before a dungeon, beat it, then save and switch off, but with Skyward Sword my play sessions ended up being much longer, because once I'd gone through the trouble of opening the dungeon up, I was so keen to jump into it that I just kept playing. And I didn't turn the game off afterwards either, tending to spend at least an hour more in Skyloft once I was done with the Boss. I firmly believe that the boss in the game's 4th Dungeon is one of the most satisfying, intense and challening bosses in any Zelda game ever. However, it was the desert area of Lanayru for which I reserve the highest praise. I think that the time changing mechanic is ingenious and they used it in such an incredibly clever way that I was really blown away by this area multiple times. Its for this reason that I think they really need to mix up the environments much more in future Zelda games. Faron and Eldin were very predictable and their specific gameplay mechanics felt a lot more tired than the freshness presented in Lanayru. I was mind blown twice during the game, and both times I was in Lanayru. The section with the time shift stone in the boat while you ride around the desert sea is one of the most clever things I have seen in a video game, and it really reminded me how smart the creators of this franchise can really be. In short, I loved the dungeons, and appreciated their relative simplicity as it allowed for a concentrated burst of enjoyment rather than a segmented experience in which I may get lost or have no idea what to do next. I was, however, extremely disappointed with the 6th dungeon and its Boss, but one bad dungeon didn't really harm my overall enjoyment of the game when the others were just so good.

I really enjoyed the upgrading mechanic that the game employs, but like Jonny said on RFN, I wish there was more stuff I could do with the items I collected. Who really needs 40 Amber Relics or 30 Jelly Blob things? Unless you are terrible with the sheild and end up replacing it and upgrading it constantly, then these materials really become completely useless. Moreover, I wish that they would balance out the distribution of these materials. I ended up having 40 of one thing and 2 of another, and yet 3 of my items needed multiple of the more rare material and none of the more common one. This led to me having to go and grind for materials, which I didn't really mind, but I would have certainly preferred if the ones you needed were dropped on a more consistent basis. The bugs were also a point of interest to me. I couldn't resist going after all of them, but when it came down to it I never used any of them for anything. I never felt like it was worth upgrading a potion and I never really needed the money from selling them. In the end they kind of sat there in my inventory as if I were some kind of collector, picking these things up for the sheer sake of it.

Perhaps the thing that I found most impressive about this game is how well every single item (barring the slingshot) is used. Twilight Princess was all about individual items being central to individual dungeons, and after that you would hardly ever see them again (I'm talking to you, Spinner and Ball & Chain). Skyward Sword pretty much throws that idea out the window, and as a result you have a much more reduced roster of items, but the items see so much more use than they did in previous games. To be honest I can't even remember where I got most of the items, because their collection is so embedded into the game structure that it makes it almost impossible to pinpoint what you got when. In other games I could tell you the item for each individual dungeon, because they were so rigidly themed, whereas in Skyward Sword the items are collected not only in the dungeon, but also in the overworld leading up the the dungeon. Some items don't even feel like you are really getting something new because they are just upgrades to existing equipment. Not that this is a bad thing though, because it really enforces the idea that you use the items on such a frequent basis.

I can't close this out without talking a bit about the end of the game and how it ties up the story. I personally found the final dungeon to be very interesting, but I would have preferred to see something completely different, rather than just a re-tread of old territory. Having said that though, the individual rooms were very interesting. The entire room shifting mechanic was an overarching puzzle in itself and was genuinely inventive. I did almost scream out in anguish as it showed me entering the Silent Realm to pick up the first piece of Triforce, thinking that I would once again have to go through this ridiculous process, but thankfully all you have to do is go over and pick it up. The final boss montage was for the most part very enjoyable. As someone who was very disappointed by the 6th dungeon, I was not happy to see Ghirahim return for the third time in the game. As a 6th boss he changed very little from our first encounter, the main difference being that I had a hell of a lot more hearts. This made it less challenging and generally disappointing that Nintendo had not put the effort in to think up a new boss that could rival the 2 incredible ones before it. That being said, the third encounter was without a doubt the best of the 3 and easily made it onto the list for my favourite boss fights in the game. They really mixed things up and made it both very fun, mentally taxing and physically challenging. Having said that, the final fight with Demise was slightly disappointing, but still very good. I easily costed through his first form, utilising the shield bash to my advantage, though I would have preferred to have a more upgraded one, my 2nd stage sacred shield did the job just fine. It was the second form that I had trouble with, mainly because it was very difficult to find a window in which to absorb lightning when he didn't have any. I died twice on that guy, but as so happens to be the case with most things in this game it was third time lucky. The final story sequence was very enjoyable and the revelation that Demise gets reincarnated as Ganon was certainly interesting, though it was kinda obvious given how similar both of them look.

Overall I really did enjoy this game a lot. It is not often that I beat games of this scale in such a short space of time, that just the kind of gamer I am. But Skyward Sword had such a draw to it and was so compelling that I really felt dedicated to it and was very insistent on wanting to finish it. I know opinions are mixed, but personally I think that this is the Zelda game that I will most likely pick up and play through again multiple times, simply because of its streamlined mechanics, heart warming story and tight gameplay. Now time for Xenoblade :D

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: December 25, 2011, 11:45:52 PM »
I look back on my favorite game in the series, A Link to the Past, and it's nothing like the Zelda games today.

I'd love to see Retro Studios do a one-off reboot of Zelda and give them free reign to change whatever they wanted. I always wanted to see a steampunk Zelda [...]

And the internet says Zelda fans are hard to please... :D
Hence, "one-off reboot." Should Nintendo attempt a steampunk Zelda, I'd rather they do so outside of the existing canon so they're not shackled by the rules of series.
To be fair, mine carts have been around since the Oracle games and the Mogma Mitts are renamed Mole Mitts from the Minish Cap - which simply replace the shovel... first found in Link to the Past...
I was being fair. I didn't say mine carts were okay in Seasons/Ages and not okay in Skyward Sword. Roller-coaster like mine cart rails (who would build that?) and crawling around underground tunnels are silly. They felt out of place. The first 3 Zelda games are very similar in tone though A Link to the Past is a more sophisticated game. Link's Awakening was a bit more lighthearted with the meta humor and cameos though I attribute those things to the surreal, dream-like quality of the game. These days, when the series tries to be lighthearted, it comes off as silly. When the series tries to be serious, it comes off as melodramatic. It doesn't have the same balance that it once had.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: December 26, 2011, 12:23:42 AM »
I was being fair. I didn't say mine carts were okay in Seasons/Ages and not okay in Skyward Sword. Roller-coaster like mine cart rails (who would build that?) and crawling around underground tunnels are silly. They felt out of place.

Who WOULDN'T build awesome roller-coaster-esque mine carts? :D :D :D

Personally, I try not to get too hung-up on the hows and whys of this kind of stuff.  I mean, what kind of shopkeeper puts his shop in some hard-to-reach area, instead of a door, has a pile of rocks, which looks like every single other pile of rocks, and that can only be cleared away with a bomb, then only sells three items?  Items which wouldn't even be really very useful to anyone but a little elven boy who's trying to save the kingdom?  "Hey, here's a key you can use in those terrifying old, worn-down palaces and caves where those evil monsters and three-headed dragons and giant spiders live.  It's a steal for only 100 Rupees."

I dunno - if I was going to have a complaint about the items in Skyward Sword, I think it'd be more about how there's virtually no new items in the game...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 01:31:15 AM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: December 26, 2011, 02:23:25 AM »
I got this game for Christmas today. Now I need to buy Motion Plus. fffffffuuuuuuuuu-

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: December 26, 2011, 03:15:01 AM »
I just got the digging gloves and I still really like it.  I've gotten much better at using the sword since facing Ghirahaim and seeing his awesome introduction.  Does anyone else feel like a little kid again when you have to hold up the sword for the skyward strike?  Great addition.
I'm getting a kick out of all the new characters and the twists on old ones.  Beedle actually dropped me out of his shop when I didn't buy anything, the smiley shop keeper obviously hates people despite the face he puts on, the potion shop infuser has to stay up all night taking care of his baby while his wife sleeps(in a seperate bed), the demon playing the "screaming game," adorable Zelda, Ghirahaim and of course Groose.  Skyloft is still fun to run around and I like how the fruit is strategically placed so once you master areas you never have to stop running. After finding the demon I can tell there are going to be plenty more areas I haven't been to yet too.

The aiming threw me at first because I kept trying to do it like twilight princess and other pointer based games.  Once I started holding the remote like the bow in Resort it clicked and now I have no problems.

I wish I could comment on Nbz's stuff but I noticed he has some spoilers in there so I stopped reading.  I ignore Adrok's opinion completely because he says he hated a game that he completed.  I don't finish most of the games I like and stop playing those I'm not interested in.  When somebody can play 50 hours of a game, finish it and say they hated it just tells me that they have a completely different persective than me.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 03:23:05 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2213 on: December 26, 2011, 04:32:29 AM »
Yeah SixthAngel I do tend feel like a little kid when I play this. I also tend to over exagurate my sword swings when I don't need to be precice or after boss battles or when the boss is almost gone. I haven't spent any more time with the game since Christmas was yesterday but I will likely try to finish up the game before the new year starts.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: December 26, 2011, 11:44:41 AM »
I ignore Adrok's opinion completely because he says he hated a game that he completed.  I don't finish most of the games I like and stop playing those I'm not interested in.  When somebody can play 50 hours of a game, finish it and say they hated it just tells me that they have a completely different persective than me.
I'll typically stop playing games I hate. For example, I stopped playing Spirit Tracks probably half-way through. The difference is that I paid $25 for Spirit Tracks used and $70 for Skyward Sword new. I wanted to get my money's worth and it wasn't worth losing roughly half its value by trading it for credit. Maybe I can sell it on ebay in a few years.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: December 26, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »
I just joined the Skyward Sword club and my impressions will be posted in the next few days.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: December 26, 2011, 06:49:08 PM »
that was a pretty awesome final boss...

...ditched all the exploration and interesting worlds that made Zelda what it was.
It's funny how I feel the opposite of this. I've always felt that previous Zelda games gave the illusion of exploration with vast open spaces, but a linear path, so I enjoyed discovering Skyward Sword's world more since it didn't have wasted space. I also felt the final boss was too simple and easy, I honestly stared at the screen thinking "Is that it?" as I waited/hoped for another form to show up.

Personally, I try not to get too hung-up on the hows and whys of this kind of stuff.
Same here. As with any fantasy setting, I don't start questioning why anything came to be, I just accept that it is what it is. That's also a reason I wasn't particularly interested in this game's story: I don't really care about the origin of anything.

I think it helps prove my point that a Nintendo fan/gamer hasn't even heard that the fix was officially released.
But that was my point. Stop stealing my points!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: December 26, 2011, 07:40:33 PM »
that was a pretty awesome final boss...

...ditched all the exploration and interesting worlds that made Zelda what it was.
It's funny how I feel the opposite of this. I've always felt that previous Zelda games gave the illusion of exploration with vast open spaces, but a linear path, so I enjoyed discovering Skyward Sword's world more since it didn't have wasted space. I also felt the final boss was too simple and easy, I honestly stared at the screen thinking "Is that it?" as I waited/hoped for another form to show up.

Sure, it's an easy and simple final fight, but given that the fight before it requires a great deal of precision and coordination that was fine with me.  The last fight was all about spectacle and atmosphere, and I thought it succeeded pretty well at that, especially by Nintendo standards.

There's just absolutely nothing interesting about Skyward Sword's world IMO.  It feels barren; dull; and small, and its populace aren't much more interesting.  The sky promises adventure and exploration, but there's nothing in it.  By contrast, Majora's Mask's world is much more artificial, but feels much more interesting to me because of all the interaction I have with the populace and how dense all the content is.  If I wander in a given direction, I'll find something interesting.  I feel like I have a meaningful stake in the lives of the NPCs, and that Termina is a world worth fighting for. 

In Skyward Sword, I'm the Goddess Hylia's frickin' errand boy, checking items off her shopping list while occasionally swinging my sword at stuff.  It never feels like the world is ever really in danger, because there's absolutely nothing threatening about Ghirahem and you never really get a feel for Demise until the game's nearly over.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:47:46 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: December 26, 2011, 09:04:53 PM »
I'll typically stop playing games I hate. For example, I stopped playing Spirit Tracks probably half-way through. The difference is that I paid $25 for Spirit Tracks used and $70 for Skyward Sword new. I wanted to get my money's worth and it wasn't worth losing roughly half its value by trading it for credit. Maybe I can sell it on ebay in a few years.

You played for 50 hours... Let's say you had stopped half way through - 25 hours saved.  25 hours of my time is worth far more than $70.  I don't mean to tell you how to live your life or anything, but heck, you should really value your time more... don't waste it on something you "hate"...

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: December 27, 2011, 01:35:05 AM »
Seriously^that man speaks truth. If you're spending that much time on a video game you probably should try valuing the short time you have on this earth. No one ever said on their death bed, "Gee, I wish was more of a shut-in couch potato."

Get outside and live.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: December 27, 2011, 02:05:12 AM »
Hey, now, I'm not knocking spending that much time on a video game. :D
Lord knows I've done it... :D

I just don't see spending that much time playing a video game that you hate... regardless of how much you spent on it.  If I bought a game I hated and had no more money to buy any other games for the next three months, I'd rather spend time going back and replying an old favorite than sinking an additional 25 hours into a game that I hate...  Hell, I have games I haven't finished and I like and I often find myself going back and playing an old favorite instead... I just can't imagine forcing myself to play though something I hate...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: December 27, 2011, 08:47:26 AM »
Get outside and live.
...as posted on an Internet message board. Pot meet kettle.

I started actually hating the game around the middle of the Song of the Hero section of the game which was around 35-40 hours in. I didn't know how much I had left but I got that far so I wanted to see it through. Had I absolutely known that there was 10-15 hours left, I probably would have let it go. I expected maybe 5 hours and for the tadpole thing to not be anywhere near as annoying.

See, you and Uncle Bob are judging me based on my hindsight opinion of the game. I didn't hate every second of the game as if it was torture. I got to that breaking point with mixed feelings (admittedly leaning towards unfavorable), hoping the game would get better which it didn't. It got exponentially worse. I thought there would be a payoff and I was wrong. My bad. There was no way for me to have known that without playing the game. Despite some bright spots, I hated the game as a whole. Major plot-holes, excessively irritating segments and a rudimentary end game sealed my unfavorable collective opinion of Skyward Sword. What I find ironic about all of this is if I said I hated the game but didn't finish it, someone else would have admonished me for "not giving the game a chance." It's pretty much lose-lose if you dislike something that other people like.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 08:51:03 AM by Adrock »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: December 27, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
I'm glad to hear the UncleBob is condoning me stopping at the 4th Dungeon.  I just haven't gotten the will to go back to the game.  I think that I got the goody out of it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: December 27, 2011, 01:22:26 PM »
See, you and Uncle Bob are judging me [...]

As I said earlier, I'm really, really not trying to tell you how to live - I just can't understand the mindset of doing something I don't like and don't have to do when there are so many other things I could be doing.

There are so many great games out there - I can't see wasting my time playing something I hate... To me, it'd be like sticking around in a loveless marriage thinking "maybe it'll get better"... except, in this case, you're the only one who's miserable.  The Zelda disc doesn't care if you play it or not. ;)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: December 27, 2011, 02:46:32 PM »
And as I explained earlier, I didn't hate the game until I thought it was nearly over. Maybe that's the part you find issue with and if so, my only recourse is "because I felt like it" which is pretty much why anyone does anything. Have you ever watched the rest of a movie you found fair at best, especially when everyone told it was awesome? Has the rest of that movie ever been terrible? The same principle applies here. I've done that before; not every time but I have done that and I don't think it's completely out of the ordinary. Now, if I were to replay the game beginning to end, knowing I how I felt the first time, I could understand your confusion and I'd have no one to blame but myself. However, that's not the case.

Additinally, I understand cutting my losses and quitting and I have in the past, but I knew I was close to finishing Skyward Sword and I wanted to see the end of the game. You're making it seem like all I do is engage in activities I find disdainful which is simply not true. I spent over a month conpleting Skyward Sword. Playing videogames is no where near what I spent the majority of my time doing. I didn't even hate the game initially. If I booted up Skyward Sword and hated every second of those first few hours, yeah, I'd shut it down. The game isn't without its positives but as a whole, the cons outweigh the pros. The end of the game had a lot to do with it.