Author Topic: Shigeru Miyamoto NOT Stepping Down from His Position at Nintendo  (Read 17643 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Shigeru Miyamoto NOT Stepping Down from His Position at Nintendo
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2011, 03:48:30 AM »
oh Z targeting,  too bad tomb Raider had it first...
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2011, 04:55:59 PM »
I'm not going to agree to disagree with you, because you're simply wrong. Whether you like it or not, Ocarina of Time had a massive influence on the entire gaming industry.
where?  Where are the OoT clones?  What mark did Oot leave?  I look around and don't see it.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2011, 05:11:01 PM »
Well sure, there haven't been many clones, but that's true of the whole Zelda series. For whatever reason, other developers haven't tried to copy it wholesale as much as some of Nintendo's other franchises.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2011, 05:45:05 PM »
For me, it's the little things. Nearly all third-person action games with melee combat feature some sort of button to lock on a target. Context-sensitive buttons (not sure if OoT was the first game to use it or made it better known). Auto-jumping that frees up buttons for other actions in games like Batman: Arkham Asylum and Assassin's Creed.

Ocarina of Time's influences are a bit harder to spot since there haven't deluge of action-adventure games. It seems the industry fad went from platformers to shooters.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2011, 06:00:25 PM »
The reason there hasn't many Zelda clones is probably has to do with how the puzzles in Zelda games require a lot of work to make which is why nobody wants to clone them.  Zelda games are a combination of action and puzzle adventure games with large worlds to explore.  This is why even though Ocarina of Time helped revolutionize 3D gaming, there's barely any third party games similar to it.  The rest of the industry copied the action and large world parts, but doesn't care much about the puzzles.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2011, 06:32:15 PM »
It's funny that we're arguing about OoT because if you're talking about Miyamoto changing the world THAT game isn't the ideal example.  Shiggy made FUCKIN' SUPER MARIO BROS!!!  No troll can make any argument worth two shits that THAT game didn't have a huge impact on videogames!  Practically every game for the next ten years was a glorified clone of it.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2011, 07:13:31 PM »
The original incorrect point from which this argument spawned was that he implied that Miyamoto had lost his touch and that his later games couldn't live up to his early work, to which I responded by pointing out that the last time he directed a game he made Ocarina of Time, so that argument doesn't make sense.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2011, 07:39:55 PM »
How about using Super Mario 64 as an example then?  That's only two years older.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »
The original incorrect point from which this argument spawned was that he implied that Miyamoto had lost his touch and that his later games couldn't live up to his early work, to which I responded by pointing out that the last time he directed a game he made Ocarina of Time, so that argument doesn't make sense.
I don't know if you're dense or trolling or just don't understand english.
Quote from: ME
They both produced world shaping works when they had their backs to the wall and once the pressure was off, they couldn't recreate their earlier success.
SMB was way more successful that OoT, No two ways about it.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2011, 09:34:38 PM »
Well then you're wrong the other way, because Lucas' later films were just as successful as his older ones, at least from a financial standpoint. So either way it's a bad analogy.

Also, comparing SMB and OoT that way is ridiculous, as they came out in completely different situations. You could make a good argument that no game has ever or realistically will ever be as successful as Super Mario Bros. was, and that's almost entirely because of the environment it came about in.

J.P. Corbran

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2011, 09:52:45 PM »
Well then you're wrong the other way, because Lucas' later films were just as successful as his older ones, at least from a financial standpoint. So either way it's a bad analogy.

Also, comparing SMB and OoT that way is ridiculous, as they came out in completely different situations. You could make a good argument that no game has ever or realistically will ever be as successful as Super Mario Bros. was, and that's almost entirely because of the environment it came about in.
HA, you have no argument to make.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:54:52 PM by marty »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2011, 10:37:25 PM »
You know, this topic makes me feel bad for Takashi Tezuka.  The guy deserves just as much credit for all the games Miyamoto made since he was Miyamoto's partner in making all of them.  Hell Tezuka is just as high ranking at Nintendo with almost as much influence, but he's usually ignored by fans and the media.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2011, 11:01:55 PM »
You know, this topic makes me feel bad for Takashi Tezuka.  The guy deserves just as much credit for all the games Miyamoto made since he was Miyamoto's partner in making all of them.  Hell Tezuka is just as high ranking at Nintendo with almost as much influence, but he's usually ignored by fans and the media.

Maybe its his own fault though. He needs to step out of the shadows and upend a few tea tables so that people take notice of him.
is your sanity...

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2011, 01:36:51 AM »
Maybe its his own fault though. He needs to step out of the shadows and upend a few tea tables so that people take notice of him.

That is true.  From a lot of interviews Tezuka is a pretty shy and timid person, while Miyamoto is the complete opposite.  Of course this is probably a good thing when you think about it since if Tezuka had the same personality, they probably would have fought all the time and Tezuka would have eventually left the company, which would have resulted in some of Nintendo's greatest games not being anywhere as good as they were because he wouldn't have been around to help make them.

Still though, I feel bad for the guy.  A rumor comes out that Miyamoto might retire and the world goes crazy, but if Tezuka was to ever officially announce he was retiring, everyone would be like, "who's he"?  Dude's literally the most famous unknown game designer.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2011, 02:40:13 AM »
Sounds like he is the Teller to Miyamoto's Penn.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2011, 04:00:40 AM »

unless he likes it that way. and he give Miyamoto a lot of **** about it. "hey here come your fans, mwahahaah"

Tezuka ninja vanishes.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2011, 03:37:22 PM »
Sounds like he's the inspiration for Luigi.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2011, 08:52:50 PM »

unless he likes it that way. and he give Miyamoto a lot of **** about it. "hey here come your fans, mwahahaah"

Tezuka ninja vanishes.

Hahaha just what I was thinking.
black fairy tales are better at sports