Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 412190 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #625 on: February 04, 2013, 10:48:09 PM »
The 3DS was selling pretty bad.

And the rumored stats I have seen are nowhere near what u claim. I think it's foolish to think Wii U will be a flop like you think. It's a safe bet that you will be wrong.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 04, 2013, 10:54:34 PM »
"like you think."

Did I say that?  Glad you like putting words in my mouth.  No, it can exceed if marketting is done correctly.  With agressive price drop, bundled software, and timely release titles I expect Nintendo will still make a decent profit but it really can't afford anymore delays. 

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 04, 2013, 11:35:23 PM »
I fully expect the Wii U to get a price drop by the time Orbis/Durango launch this holiday season. But it will probably be a $50, $75 cut at most.

3ds price cut was 32% and it's stayed that way since.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 05, 2013, 12:32:37 AM »
I think a 50 dollar price cut seems about right given that it should have been like that since launch.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 05, 2013, 07:54:22 AM »
I can't see Nintendo launching a new console earlier than 2017, but they really should not push it past that. Wii limped through 2012 and Nintendo still seemed unprepared to launch a successor. What I'd really like to see is Nintendo launch comfortably in November 2017 where I take the console out of the box and it only takes 20 minutes to get into an actual game because I'm just taking in the newness of a brand new console.

A price drop at the end of the year if both Orbis and Durango launch is definitely a possibility, maybe a new bundle that includes Wind Waker or something. If there is a price drop, $50 sounds about right.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: February 05, 2013, 08:58:57 AM »
I think a 50 dollar price cut seems about right given that it should have been like that since launch.
I just don't understand you people.  The Price of the WiiU is on the cheaper side for what it is.  Next you'll want to only pay a Dollar per Gallon for gas.  Which is where it was at when I was a kid or pay less to own a hotel than a house...

I will berate and laugh at every single person who buys and Orbis/Durango because that will be VASTLY over priced for the tech standard set here.

Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 05, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
Jesus Christmas... The only people who care about specs are the people on neogaf pretending to know what the any of it means.

I don't care about specs but I do care about games and last gen the Wii was **** out of luck on third party games because games developed for the PS360 could not be ported to it.  I'm not getting butthurt about bits and gigahertz  here.  I'm concerned about the Wii U hardware being so far behind the competition that it screws up third party support, which happened last gen.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 05, 2013, 01:29:13 PM »
The specs aren't be problem though. Wii U is powerful enough to handle ports now and 3rd parties are still saying, "Uh, **** you." That doesn't even address how 3DS is getting wonderful support (like DS before it) and Sony's hardware trounces Nintendo's. Yeah, yeah... something something portable market something. The truth is that 3rd parties can and will support whatever they want to and specs are just being used as an excuse and it's not even a very good one. Specs aren't the real reason Nintendo isn't getting better support. The reason is ?!?3716 Shajdhsjanhxjs

Seriously, that's the best I could come up with.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 05, 2013, 01:29:58 PM »
I just don't understand you people.  The Price of the WiiU is on the cheaper side for what it is.  Next you'll want to only pay a Dollar per Gallon for gas.  Which is where it was at when I was a kid or pay less to own a hotel than a house...

I will berate and laugh at every single person who buys and Orbis/Durango because that will be VASTLY over priced for the tech standard set here.

Hey man i bought mine first day without hesitation, but trully 350.00 for a console with outdated specs is a bit too much too ask to a mass audience, and exactly part of the success of the Wii.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 05, 2013, 02:14:50 PM »

Hey man i bought mine first day without hesitation, but trully 350.00 for a console with outdated specs is a bit too much too ask to a mass audience, and exactly part of the success of the Wii.

It's modern tech. It's not as high end as what is reported from either the PS4 or 720 but you must be seriously brain washed to think that as a whole it is equal to or below that of the PS360.

There is just no way the gap from last gen is going to be as big as the current gen that's started with the U. You look at the UE4 tech demo and then the Zelda tech demo and what comes to mind? On a technical level yes that UE4 demo has a lot going on not found in the Zelda tech demo. But they both look great, there is nothing wrong with the Zelda demo. It is aesthetically pleasing and doesn't really leave much to be desired. When looking at Wii games, many were just downright ugly in comparison. Does anyone look at Toy Story and thinks it looks so much worse than Up?

For colorful cartoony games will the Wii U get Toy Story 2 while the PS420 gets Toy Story 3? I don't know, but if we did what's the problem? For realistic games I can't think of anything but FF Spirits Within and Avatar, don't know how they compare.

What's the best looking games on a top of the line PC right now? If Ps420 surpass that by leaps and bounds then I think there is slight cause of worry for the Wii U. Only as far as 3rd parties are confirmed, but they would hardly support Nintendo anyway.

Also why do so many people ignore that most games were optimized for the weaker 360? When I look at fighting game tournaments half of them are always on the 360 for various tech reasons, and then the first Baynetta was apparently a different game for the PS3. I don't expect Wii U to get all the good 3rd party games but I certainly expect much more than the Wii got.

Also can someone explain to me why Star Fox has not appeared on any current Nintendo machines? Also why was it so hard for Sega to get Knights ported over to the Ps2 and other machines? Were those games not optimized for their respective systems and simply just dumping them over on new hardware isn't as simple as fitting a small box into a bigger box? I ask in regards to current gen ports that developers had like 7 or 8 years to get used to while using Nintendo's unfinalized development kits for launch.

Here read this down below, I'm sure it is the exact opposite of what I just ranted on. I guess Wii U graphics are as good as they will ever get.

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-wii-u-graphics-power-finally-revealed[/font]

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:23:48 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 05, 2013, 02:17:14 PM »
There's only one game that really likes to push the envelope and that's Crysis, but those games suck so who cares.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 05, 2013, 02:35:30 PM »
There's only one game that really likes to push the envelope and that's Crysis, but those games suck so who cares.
Crysis is a Tech demo for the engine.  Much like Serious Sam was a tech demo for the engine.

Caterkiller that should have been a better article they totally glossed over the GPU customization.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:41:20 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 05, 2013, 02:46:50 PM »
I love the wii u as it and am sure nintendo and other developers will make wonders with the tech it has inside, but i cannot critisize those who expected specs closer to the next wave of systems from sony and microsoft who are right around the corner.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 05, 2013, 02:58:41 PM »
The specs aren't be problem though. Wii U is powerful enough to handle ports now and 3rd parties are still saying, "Uh, **** you."

Well why should they bother to learn the in's and out's of a new console that they figure is going to be obsolete and not included in their future multiplatform development?  The Wii U is likely going to be "current gen" for ONE YEAR so why would a third party bother to waste any time on something they will only support for such a short period of time?  The only reason to invest in the Wii U is if you plan on supporting it for the next several years.  The third parties that have released content for it are the ones that supported the Wii and thus are willing to work around having a special Nintendo platform to dump half-assed shovelware to.

In regards to the idea that the "gap won't be as big in this next gen", if that's the case why go up at all?  How does Sony or MS plan on selling new consoles if they're not a noticable step up?  There is no market for a PS3.1, it has to be a PS4.  It just doesn't make sense for them to merely go just a little bit better.  Hell, when Nintendo did that with the Wii they used the controller to justify it.  Sony and MS would have to follow that lead and have some unique feature that justifies the need for a new console in place of better specs.

Personally I think we COULD just sit tight with what we have for a long while.  Nintendo was the only one I felt truly had to release a new system to catch.  But that's not how it's going to go.  The Wii U's best chance is if the general public rejects Sony's and Microsoft's consoles because they're too expensive and the perceived value is just not there.  Or these new consoles raise the cost of development so much that the third parties move to Nintendo.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 05, 2013, 03:10:39 PM »
The folks at Chipworks are starting to weigh in some more.

1.This GPU is custom.
 2. If it was based on ATI/AMD or a Radeon-like design, the chip would carry die marks to reflect that. Everybody has to recognize the licensing. It has none. Only Renesas name which is a former unit of NEC.
 3. This chip is fabricated in a 40 nm advanced CMOS process at TSMC and is not low tech
 4. For reference sake, the Apple A6 is fabricated in a 32 nm CMOS process and is also designed from scratch. It’s manufacturing costs, in volumes of 100k or more, about $26 - $30 a pop. Over 16 months degrade to about $15 each
 a. Wii U only represents like 30M units per annum vs iPhone which is more like 100M units per annum. Put things in perspective.
 5. This Wii U GPU costs more than that by about $20-$40 bucks each making it a very expensive piece of kit. Combine that with the IBM CPU and the Flash chip all on the same package and this whole thing is closer to $100 a piece when you add it all up
 6. The Wii U main processor package is a very impressive piece of hardware when its said and done.

Trust me on this. It may not have water cooling and heat sinks the size of a brownie, but its one slick piece of silicon. eDRAM is not cheap to make. That  is why not everybody does it. Cause its so dam expensive

Wii U is not low tech. It might not get things done the same way Orbis/Durango will, but it's better than PS360.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:13:19 PM by Soren »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 05, 2013, 03:18:37 PM »
I would expect someone who does reverse engineering for a living to know tech.  So its interesting how much they are finding interesting.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 05, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »
Well why should they bother to learn the in's and out's of a new console that they figure is going to be obsolete and not included in their future multiplatform development? The Wii U is likely going to be "current gen" for ONE YEAR so why would a third party bother to waste any time on something they will only support for such a short period of time?  The only reason to invest in the Wii U is if you plan on supporting it for the next several years.
Infinite facepalm.

1. They should bother because the games are already being made for the other platforms. It's clearly not the specs because Wii U can handle anything you can throw at PS3/360. 3rd parties would simply be porting prexisting assets. I believe Vigil Games said they ported Darksiders 2 assets in like 3 weeks on non-final dev kits. That said, I highly doubt porting is really that difficult so "learning the ins and outs" sounds like shenanigans. How many 3rd parties have given good reasons for not porting titles? It's always nonsense like, "The GamePad is soooooo unique." Okay, don't use it (or stick a map on there, Wii U owners aren't fussy) or make a game that does. This isn't complicated. If Nintendo had higher specs in Wii U, some 3rd parties would say, "Oh d-d-d-dear, the specs are too high. We have to make a game that makes use of extra power, not port existing games," then they don't. It's a rigged game. Nintendo loses no matter what they do.

2. One year? What the? So 3rd parties are going to stop supporting millions of users on other platforms the instant new consoles launch? Right now, the excuse fountain is overflowing. Support the platform while it's easy to do so, quit when it isn't if that's the issue. Really, though, it's not.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:37:33 PM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 05, 2013, 03:52:17 PM »
The 360 and PS3 are going to continue to see significant software support at least through most of 2014, and there's no reason those games shouldn't also be on Wii U.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 05, 2013, 04:14:27 PM »
You forgot about sales?  Number 1 reason why the WII U isn't getting support is because 3rd party sales for the initial patch of games were poor to say the least.  Hense why nintendo needs a price reduction--boost user base for the the WII U so some software will actually sell and maybe you'll get to see the ports evey other system is getting, Vita's in the same boat.

Why waste company resources (in this case people) on porting a project that will only generate a small % of profit when they can be working on another project that's going have a much larger profit margin.  You can outsource the project to other company but then you might scarcifice quality of the game.   

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #644 on: February 05, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »
Um, Wii U already has a attach rate of 4:1. Software sales for Wii U software (first and third party) are doing pretty good.

Give it up, you have to be insane to think a 57% pricecute will happen. They don't need a pricecut, they just need to get out more software.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: February 05, 2013, 04:20:56 PM »
The 360 and PS3 are going to continue to see significant software support at least through most of 2014, and there's no reason those games shouldn't also be on Wii U.
At least. Then, there's the whole scalability dealie and 3rd parties really don't have reasons not to support Wii U.

3rd parties: We don't believe there's an audience on Wii U.
Wii U owners: We'll buy your games if they're good.
3rd parties: No audience...
Wii U owners: Seriously, if you treat us like we matter and put some effort in your releases, we'll gladly give you money. We only ask for same day releases, not months old ports.
3rd parties: The GamePad is too unique for our games.
Wii U owners: You're not even fucking trying anymore.
3rd parties: Lol.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: February 05, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »
You forgot about sales?  Number 1 reason why the WII U isn't getting support is because 3rd party sales for the initial patch of games were poor to say the least.  Hense why nintendo needs a price reduction--boost user base for the the WII U so some software will actually sell and maybe you'll get to see the ports evey other system is getting, Vita's in the same boat.

Why waste company resources (in this case people) on porting a project that will only generate a small % of profit when they can be working on another project that's going have a much larger profit margin.  You can outsource the project to other company but then you might scarcifice quality of the game.

Is not Nintendo's fault that the idea of supporting WiiU at launch from third parties was to bring old games and repackage it like new and worse of all sell for 60 bucks.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: February 05, 2013, 04:54:31 PM »
Darksiders 2 was the highest ranked WII U game at launch and it didn't even break the 20K mark.  Tekken Tag Tournament 2 bombed even though it had Nintendo exclusive mode and skins.    Hell even same day release titles didn't sell all that well, CoD BO 2 and ACIII both undersold.

Even the exclusive Zombiu isn't selling all that hot, Red Steel sold more during the same time frame during the last launch. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully Rayman Legends does alright but considering how bad Orgins bombed I wouldn't be surprised to see this one undersell. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #648 on: February 05, 2013, 04:59:11 PM »
Do you have any actual sales numbers to back up your claims? Because I highly doubt the Wii U has sold 8 million games as of the end of 2012 if the top selling third party game was only at 20K.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 05, 2013, 05:05:03 PM »
Hell even same day release titles didn't sell all that well, CoD BO 2 and ACIII both undersold.
Release dates.
AC3
PS360 - October 30, 2012
WiiU - November 18, 2012

Blops2
PS360 - November 13, 2012
WiiU - November 18, 2012

Most third party games didn't sell well because people who wanted to play them already had a way to do so on other platforms. ZombiU was the best selling third party game, way better than the rest IIRC.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:06:56 PM by Soren »