Author Topic: DS Game Idea: POKeMON MMO?  (Read 3859 times)

Offline FenixRPGm

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
DS Game Idea: POKeMON MMO?
« on: November 09, 2004, 05:35:04 AM »
After thinking about the Starbucks and Nintendo WiFi extraveganza, I was trying to come up with a game that would REALLY incourage players to want to be "connected" as often as possible.  Then, I thought: "An MMO!  That would be great! (This is after HOURS of non-stop World of Warcraft mind you... -_-) "  So yeah, a Pokemon MMO would rock!  I mean, I'm not too much of a Pokemon fan, and haven't really played since Red and Blue (but might be one if they made this!), but they could make a more live action style battle system where you take turns, but only in the sense that you have to wait for a small delay between attacks and you can assign, or queue up, actions for your one (or two) pokemon involved in the fight.  You play directly as the trainer (which you can customise looks, clothes, sex, race, etc.) and you can throw items, pokeball, whatever into the battles.  Oh yeah, and the commands and items and stuff would be on the touch screen so that you could directly control who does what.  When pokemon level up, you'd be able to distribute points into their stats so that not everyone would have the same pikachu or snorlax as someone else.  My pikachu (Bobo) might have a really high evasion% and critical hit rate, while Switchbladecross's pikachu (Zapper) might not have such a high evasion as mine, but he has a lot of strength and defense.  So, yeah.... that's my idea for now, just thought I'd share it and see what you guys can come up with to add onto it!  I'll post more ideas later, too.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: DS Game Idea: POKeMON MMO?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 12:51:54 PM »
Well, I think many people have thought along similar lines for a while now.  The flagship Pokemon games need a new game style, and one borrowing more from the television series would do the game good in my opinion.  A real-time battle system--especially one with voice recognition--could appeal to people who aren't even Pokemon fans (like me).

As for the MMO concept...I agree it could be good, but I'm not sure it could work on a handheld.  Playing with others nearby is a wonderful concept; making it work just as well when alone isn't so easy to visualize--and on handhelds that will be common.  The structure of the world is simply different for MMO games than single-player games.

EX: One character lives in my village.  That same NPC character happens to live in my friend's village on his own copy of the game.  When we meet to play Pokemon game together, what happens?  Which village are we in, and how does that NPC explain himself as being native to both villages?  It's a paradox, and that is why in most handheld games, even if the main game has a vast world, the multiplayer game is kept seperate.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Online Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 12:59:55 PM »
Personally all I want to see is a fully 3D Pokemon RPG that plays like the original Gameboy games.  That's it.  It would be the easiest thing to do in the world yet Nintendo hasn't done it.  And by "fully 3D" I mean like 3D Zelda.  So no fixed camera angles or 2.5D stuff.  And if they wanted to they could make online battles and trading but it's optional to me.  The rest of you can ask for MMOs and voice recognition games all you want... after Nintendo gives me the game I, and millions of Pokemon fans, have wanted since 1998.  They've taken so long to deliver that you guys have forgotten about it and are suggesting something else.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 01:00:47 PM »
Typ is right, if they were gonna go MMO they would have to make it exclusively online.  Which assumes Nintendo will support some form of online with the DS...  Which assumes enough DS owners will have wifi access in their home...  Which also assumes Nintendo can support the servers without a monthly fee, which assumes Nintendo will stick to its "Not going online unless there is no monthly fee" rule....  =P

AKA, we can all dream but it prolly aint gonna happen.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE:DS Game Idea: POKeMON MMO?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 04:26:48 AM »
Pokemon would work really well as an MMO.  You really don't even need to make it internet playable.

Here is what you do.  

The next Pokemon game have a huge singleplayer game.  Tons of Pokemon to train and battle.  

The wireless works as such.  Whenever someone else is playing the single player game enters within radius of wireless connection or enters a hotspot you are sent a message telling you they are available to chat.

A new PokeDevice allow you to voice chat with people.  It also allows you to participate in virtual Pokemon battles. If you want to battle someone but aren't willing to leave your location a virtual pokemon battle can be waged among any pokemon trainer in the DS world.

Offical DS Pokemon tournaments would of course take place in a special location in the DS world.  Perhaps a location that is only available when hooked into a hotspot.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 03:02:04 PM »
I still don't want to pay monthly.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 08:32:51 PM »
Local multiplayer wouldn't cost anything and as long as it is reduced to tournaments only online gaming shouldn't be too expensive to maintain and can be made free. So unless your hotspot charges money you're good to go.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 06:15:12 AM »
I'm no techhead but what MMORPG was ever free?  
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 08:29:36 AM »
Guild Wars. "Will be", not "was". Since Pokemon would allow for a similar amount of instancing (when you fight only two or four players matter, the rest can be ignored) it could work.

Offline Cleon_I

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 09:29:19 PM »
Judging by Nintendo's past and continuing shunning of central-server-based online multiplayer games, I doubt we'll see an MMO Pokemon game anytime soon.  The DS is designed mostly with the idea of peer-to-peer multiplayer networking, and though I'm sure it's possible for some developer to make a decent MMORPG for it, I really doubt Nintendo is going to be the one.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 11:44:06 PM »

Personally all I want to see is a fully 3D Pokemon RPG that plays like the original Gameboy games. That's it. It would be the easiest thing to do in the world yet Nintendo hasn't done it. And by "fully 3D" I mean like 3D Zelda. So no fixed camera angles or 2.5D stuff. And if they wanted to they could make online battles and trading but it's optional to me. The rest of you can ask for MMOs and voice recognition games all you want... after Nintendo gives me the game I, and millions of Pokemon fans, have wanted since 1998. They've taken so long to deliver that you guys have forgotten about it and are suggesting something else.

Nintendo's been much too busy making Pokemon games like Channel, Box, Dash and all the GBC/GBA clone games to bother making a Pokemon game fans have wanted for years now.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 07:34:19 AM »
doesn't nintnedo have an onine game in china?  I was sure they did.  not the ique but an online rpg of some sorts.

Offline CRAZIE_GUY

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 09:39:00 AM »
nintendo rehired the same team that eventually got the GCN online (a little too late) to do work with the DS. I doubt you would have to pay for online access (other than the your internet provider). The DS will probably get an online access bundle that comes seperate and works not only as a link for MMO's but also as a wireless range extender that lets you play ordinary link up games over long distances. Nintendo doesn't want us paying for online suff, so why cant they bring it free?
XBOX2 and PS3 are easy: just bigger, stronger machines. Nintendo, however, is incredibly innovative... you never know what they'll roll out next.