Author Topic: SSX Blur Now in Stores  (Read 6333 times)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
SSX Blur Now in Stores
« on: February 27, 2007, 07:31:50 AM »
Hit the slopes with the new SSX game, exclusive to Wii.

EA’s SSX Blur Carves Its Way to Retailers Today

Intuitive On-the-Ground and In-the-Air Controls Define the 5th Iteration of Beloved Franchise

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.-- Experience the soul of SSX™ remixed, re-energized and fully realized. Electronic Arts Inc. announced that SSX™ Blur, developed exclusively for Nintendo Wii™, ships to North American retailers today, and on March 9 in Europe under the EA SPORTS BIG™ brand. The game fully maximizes the intuitive capabilities of Nintendo’s next generation console while staying true to the fast action-packed gameplay that you have come to expect from the franchise. Developed by EA Montreal, SSX Blur is huge air, insane speeds and monster tricks delivered in a fresh, innovative, Wii-a-fied package.

Experience the familiar as well as the unexpected. You’re still ripping down the slopes, but this time you’re carving and catching air with the revolutionary new on-the-ground and in-the-air control system. SSX Blur delivers the essence of the critically acclaimed franchise but takes it to the next level with the capabilities of the Wii. Use the Nunchuk to tear down the mountain and use the Wii Remote to paint a virtually unlimited array of aerial maneuvers. Every second of your SSX Blur experience will be maxed out with motion.

Your favorite characters return to the mountain to tackle 12 freshly laid tracks on three distinctly themed peaks. Feel the tunes intensify as you pick up speed and stick your tricks, with dynamic music mirroring your gameplay experience. Keep grooving, bombing and boosting to fill your groove meter and you’re set to let your Uber Tricks loose on the mountain. SSX Blur is on-the-ground and in-the-air excitement from top to bottom.

SSX™ Blur is available for the Nintendo Wii and has an MSRP of $49.99. The game has been rated “E" (Everyone) by the ESRB and 3+ by PEGI. For more information, log onto www.ssxblur.com.

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: SSX Blur Now in Stores
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:42:02 AM »
Anyone try it yet?

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 11:07:14 AM »
I would've picked it up today, but it doesn't actually go on sale until tomorrow, so I'll be getting it then. I know Obi's getting it, too, so I suspect it'll be talked about a fair bit during next week's Radio Free Nintendo.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 11:17:53 AM »
Agh! March Madness has begun!

First this, then everything else from third parties!

~Carmine "Cai" M.
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 06:24:18 PM »
so is it crap or not?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
RE:SSX Blur Now in Stores
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 07:28:52 PM »
Reviews seem to be from 5 to 8.5 so far, so who knows. These reviews are out of order. This whole Wii system is out of order!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 08:39:14 PM »
The wide diversity in reviews seems to be based on whether or not people got the hang of the controls or not. For those that did say the game is amazing and can't think of playing it any other way, while those who couldn't hate it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 04:08:06 AM »
Were there this many control whiners when the analog stick debuted?

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 06:21:34 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy

Excellent question...

I'd guess "yes", although I don't remember.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 06:40:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Excellent question...

I'd guess "yes", although I don't remember.

Probably but reviews and the Internet weren't how they are now.  Printed reviews use to go through editors and the like to make sure you fit with the overall tone for the magazine.  I'm sure whining wasn't that high on the list.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 07:05:09 AM »
Yup the internet whiners hated the analog stick back in '96

On the subject, I think I will give this a rental.

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 07:18:46 AM »

Yeah, finding a game unplayable due to its controls shouldn't be grounds for a bad score, right?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 07:28:31 AM »
I don't know. I find a lot of dual analog FPS games near unplayable. To the point of tears even.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 07:31:44 AM »

Originally posted by: hudsonhawk

Yeah, finding a game unplayable due to its controls shouldn't be grounds for a bad score, right?
Well, some reviews say that the controls are amazing, and that they can't go back to regular SSX.. guess I'll find out for myself when I play it.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 07:34:00 AM »
I got the game today and I really like it so far. This is my first SSX, so I can't comment on whether or not it's a step up from On Tour (which I understand was a letdown to series fans), but for newbies like myself, I think it's a solid purchase. The controls take a few minutes to understand, but after doing a couple tutorial missions, the basics are effortless to pull off.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 07:37:01 AM »
This'll be my first SSX game too! *can't wait*

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 08:04:20 AM »

Originally posted by: hudsonhawk

Well, sucking at or being unwilling to learn the new control scheme shouldn't be grounds for a bad score. Halo 2 would get a 3.0 from me if that's allowed.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 08:14:54 AM »
The reviews issues is something I've been talking about lately.

My main concern is that truly great Wii games will not get the praise they deserve simply because the reviewers and fans are too quick to diss a control scheme without getting to know it and throw it aside.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 09:20:27 AM »

I think it's fair to put the control mechanism under the microscope with Wii titles.  There's no precedence, and like the DS there's going to be a lot of growing pains and a lot of tacked on Wiimote functionality.  Given that it's what's expected to differentiate the Wii from the competition it should be able to stand up to scrutiny.  If a reviewer can't play the game because the controls don't work for him or her, I definitely want to hear about it.

Well, sucking at or being unwilling to learn the new control scheme shouldn't be grounds for a bad score. Halo 2 would get a 3.0 from me if that's allowed.

I don't think that's a very fair example.  Halo 2 used a very well-established control scheme.  Every (non-Wii) console FPS since Turok on the N64 uses a variation on that control scheme.  There's no reason for a reviewer to base their score on that, because there's nothing novel or surprising about it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 09:25:06 AM »
We don't grade things on how well they've been established. We grade 'em on how good they are.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 10:02:52 AM »
By looking at the IGN Review (an 8.4) it is pleasing to see a game like SSX Blur where the controls are difficult to grasp but also seem to be innovative at the same time when you get the hang of them. Personally I am sold on SSX BLur after reading Mark Bozon's review, and can't wait to see more games that use the controls in an innovative fashion without being "Tilt and tumble" Wii.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 10:08:42 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
"Tilt and tumble" Wii.

Our ENTIRE argument over Sonic and the Secret Rings just flashed before my eyes. Thank you.

~Carmine "Cai" M. red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 06:18:46 PM »
I don't think that's a very fair example. Halo 2 used a very well-established control scheme. Every (non-Wii) console FPS since Turok on the N64 uses a variation on that control scheme. There's no reason for a reviewer to base their score on that, because there's nothing novel or surprising about it.

That doesn't mean it's a scheme everyone has to like. I hate dual analogs because you can't hit anything smaller than a barn with it (fortunately Earth Defense Force 2 has no enemies that are smaller than a barn) so I don't care how long they have been established, I still don't think they work well.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 02:32:45 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I don't think that's a very fair example. Halo 2 used a very well-established control scheme. Every (non-Wii) console FPS since Turok on the N64 uses a variation on that control scheme. There's no reason for a reviewer to base their score on that, because there's nothing novel or surprising about it.

That doesn't mean it's a scheme everyone has to like. I hate dual analogs because you can't hit anything smaller than a barn with it (fortunately Earth Defense Force 2 has no enemies that are smaller than a barn) so I don't care how long they have been established, I still don't think they work well.

Where did I say you had to like it?  I'm just saying there's nothing surprising about an FPS using those controls.  It's expected.  Because of your inadequecy at aversion to dual analog FPS control there's no reason for you to even look at playing (non-Wii) console FPS's.  You're not the audience for the game, so the score doesn't need to reflect your needs.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007, 05:33:58 AM »
So is the big control flaw the fact that the tutorial motions for Ubertricks don't directly reflect the actual required motions for Ubertricks during gameplay?

If so, that is pretty retarded on EA's part.

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 11:37:28 AM »
I just picked up the game tonight and I can see how reviewers could be frustrated by the game.  It really does take some dedication to get the controls down but once you do, I think it's a great game.  Thanks to the link that ShyGuy posted, I was able to pick up the Ubertricks without much hassle.  It's really about exaggerating the movements, small versions of the 'drawing' don't really work.  Also, and this I think happen to many people from the impressions I've read elsewhere, is that you HAVE to stop pushing forward on the stick to perform and Uber.  All in all, I'm actually glad I bought an EA game for the first time since Beetle Adventure Racing.  (Yea, that long ago)
Life is good

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 11:50:16 AM »
Should I give in or wait till Medal of Homer?

BAR was the last and only EA game I ever bought.

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2007, 12:23:03 PM »
I think it depends on if you want to learn to play.  IGN's review is spot on that it's not Wii Sports Snowboarding, it's more of a 'real' game.  (Not that Wii Sports isn't a game, but SSX takes work)
Life is good

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2007, 12:46:19 PM »
Are you not "hardcore gamer" manly enough to play SSX Blur Pro?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2007, 07:12:51 PM »
I was awfully tempted to pick up SSX Blur today but I found a copy of Lunar Knights and got that instead along with a discounted, 13$ Odama that was brand new.

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2007, 09:31:28 PM »
I just spent a few hours on the game, and it's great. It is tough to get used to the controls, but you'll tear the place up once you get the hang of them. Also, there's a practice mode for all uber tricks that you unlock. All it does is have you hold down the A button and perform the motion, so you can see how it works. Once you try it a few times, you won't have much trouble hitting those ubers in game.
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2007, 03:33:49 AM »

Originally posted by: hudsonhawk You're not the audience for the game, so the score doesn't need to reflect your needs.

So because these controls are the "standard", it means that people who don't like them aren't the "audience" for the game?

First of all, that doesn't account for the fact that there were many console FPS games and a lot of them did the controls better than others.

Second, this means that anyone who complains about Wii controls can immediately be dismissed as not being the game's target "audience". If you're going to do it for the analogue stick, there's no logic which dictates that the same doesn't immediately apply to the Wiimote.

Third, the issue isn't the control so much as people's unwillingness to spend ample time with the control. Most people don't seem to grasp the concept of a learning curve and if they can't get it down pat immediately, they dismiss it and give it a poor review.

The same is true with Halo 2: you think aiming and shooting doesn't require some time to adjust to, even if you know the control scheme well enough and, more importantly, that an impatient reviewer wouldn't give the game a bad score just as easily if they didn't take the time to learn the controls?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2007, 06:04:47 AM »

I found a copy of ... a discounted, 13$ Odama that was brand new.
Where did you find this?  I've always wanted to play Odama, but I couldn't see spending $50 on it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2007, 06:23:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
So is the big control flaw the fact that the tutorial motions for Ubertricks don't directly reflect the actual required motions for Ubertricks during gameplay?

IS THERE A DISCREPENCY OR NOT?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2007, 10:38:45 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

I found a copy of ... a discounted, 13$ Odama that was brand new.
Where did you find this?  I've always wanted to play Odama, but I couldn't see spending $50 on it.

It was at my local Fred Meyer (if you have any of those). I was looking at Ebay and I think I got it cheaper than what it usually sells on ebay when you include tax!

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2007, 06:15:53 PM »

IS THERE A DISCREPENCY OR NOT?

From what I can tell, it's not that the gestures are wrong, you still make the general shape they show, it's how big and how smooth you make the motion.  The practice screen seems to accept a wider variety for the size of the gestures.  Plus, you don't have the 'excitement' rush that's going on in game to mess you up.  Practice, practice, practice.  That's my advise on it.   Also, EA probably should have tweaked it a bit, but it's not impossible.  
Life is good

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2007, 08:30:59 AM »
So, even new reviews mention that ubertricks are difficult.

Did EA simple FAIL to mention how they wanted motions to be input (big and smooth)?

Or is every 1-hour reviewer out there in too much of a rush when they play, not exercising patience and grace during air time?

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2007, 08:38:51 AM »
This game is great. Buy it.

As for the Uber tricks, there's a special training mode that lets you just practice the motions it takes to do them. If you put five minutes into that, such moves are not a problem.

At first, I was only marginally impressed, but once I started doing stuff I didn't even think was possible, I was sold beyond belief. I haven't even gotten to Peak 2 and I've already put almost 10 hours in. There is no drought because SSX Blur is there. So again. Buy it.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2007, 09:51:18 AM »
So in other words Ubertrick are liked that cursed star in Trauma Center:Second Opinion. (Which I have gotten to the 6th episode on normal with only using the healing touch 3 times. (Bomb, V... Last guy on Episode 5, and one of the episode 6 missions with the girl surgeon.)  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.