Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. 2 Confirmed  (Read 9589 times)

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Re: New Super Mario Bros. 2 Confirmed
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 09:36:33 AM »
And where does Super Mario Advanced 3: Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2 fit into that numbering system?
It doesn't, you're mixing up names.
The SNES version is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island,
The GBA version is Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3.
Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 10:23:32 AM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 12:00:24 PM »
While I squealed in joy while watching this get announced during Nintendo Direct, I was definitely one of the people hoping for a new art style.  I mean, look at Mario 1,2,3, World, and World 2.  Look at how vastly unique each one of those games look.  Now look at New Super Mario 1, Wii, and 2.  Nearly identical.  That's my only disappointment.  Raccoon tail and flying make me truly happy; finally!  Bowser's children better be in this, too, that was my absolute favorite part of Mario Bros. Wii!
3DS Friend Code:  2836-0087-6663
Nintendo Network ID: PadawanOfWindu

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 01:03:12 PM »
I remember an article in some old game mag in the 90's comparing Sonice to Mario and the big praise of the Mario series was that each game had major changes to the formula while Sonic's four Genesis games were much more conservative and conventional as sequels.  Here we are now and Mario is conservative.  The NSMB series is intentionally conservative and safe.  I'd argue that that is anti-Mario and anti-Nintendo.

I became a Nintendo fan because they weren't cookie cutter.  Now they're the conservative retro sequel company.  There is nothing surprising or interesting about the announcement of this game whatsoever.  It's just "oh yeah, they're making a cookie-cutter sequel to a game that was embarassingly generic to begin with."

I swear the Nintendo of today would never have made Yoshi's Island.  That was WAY too daring of a game, especially one to be marketed as a sequel to Super Mario World.

Another bummer about this is that the super cool fan idea of having NSMB 2 be based on SMB2 is not happening.  Having a modern take on each individual classic Mario game is a much cooler and much more original idea than just having a generic retro series.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 01:12:44 PM »
It is kind of odd that they're taking a major mechanic from Mario 3 and this is the third NSMB game, but they still called it New Super Mario Bros. 2. If they were going to do this, they should have gone all-out with the Mario 3 stuff, including an art style in more of its vein, and called it New Super Mario Bros. 3. Seems like a real missed opportunity.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »
It is kind of odd that they're taking a major mechanic from Mario 3 and this is the third NSMB game, but they still called it New Super Mario Bros. 2. If they were going to do this, they should have gone all-out with the Mario 3 stuff, including an art style in more of its vein, and called it New Super Mario Bros. 3. Seems like a real missed opportunity.

Would have been interesting if they did do the series like SMBA only that they reimagined each game visually and  design in places. They would still be "new" games but be another interpretation of the original games. Right now they seem stuck in a weird realm of overly simplified, generic looking, yet trying to pull in nostalgia elements.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 02:35:09 PM »
That'd be one way to get me to quadruple-dip and buy those games all over again on the eShop. Maybe get Miyamoto in there to revisit his choices, and make some modifications based on hindsight.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 03:57:45 PM »
Or, you know... it could have communication abilities with NSMBWiiU, which would drive the interest up for the latter.

I mean, I'm not really that upset with this announcement, on second thought. Whenever Nintendo releases a sequel, it's always good in some way. Galaxy 2 is leaps and bounds better than the first, and I think they'll add some cool stuff to this game, too.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 02:03:09 AM »
Or, you know... it could have communication abilities with NSMBWiiU, which would drive the interest up for the latter.

I mean, I'm not really that upset with this announcement, on second thought. Whenever Nintendo releases a sequel, it's always good in some way. Galaxy 2 is leaps and bounds better than the first, and I think they'll add some cool stuff to this game, too.

NSMB Wii was a sequel to NSMB DS, and they improved upon that game in every way (graphics, multiplayer, level design, sound design, bringing back the Koopalings, etc.). So I have my hopes up for NSMB 2 (or as I call it, the actual NSMB 3).
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931