Author Topic: Worms 3D :(  (Read 1248 times)

Offline idiot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Worms 3D :(
« on: May 26, 2004, 12:37:19 PM »
I was a little skeptical about buying this sight-unseen, so I rented it and I'm really confused at the problems in this game.  Maybe you feel the same way.

You can only use one controller for multiplayer.  Why in the Universe?  I mean, it's so confusing.  I can't form words.  It would have taken literally twelve minutes to allow multiple controllers.  Passing the controller around?  Could the developers not afford an extra controller to test with?

There are graphical glitches.  I've seen worms suddenly stretch out into infinity.  Also, it almost looks more like an N64 game, not polished at all.  This doesn't mean much, I would totally overlook it for a good game.

The camera is bad.  Sometimes it zooms in really close to your worm and you can't back it off to see anything.  Also, it would be really nice, especially since only one controller is even usable, to control the camera when the computer is taking its turn to see who he is shooting at.  When you manually aim, your worm always seems to point straight up at first.  Add this to the lack of an inverse aiming option and you've lost a few seconds being confused, trying to look around to aim.

The levels are not good.  They are made up of teenie-tiny little crappy islands, and one shot is almost guaranteed to knock you off the edge.  There's a preset level called "NO MORE ISLANDS!" which tells me the developers recognized how much the levels sucked, and that's the closest they wanted to come to a solution.  It's actually a good level.

The explosions are small.  This is probably because the levels are so tiny.  But in the old worms, you could not shoot a bazooka from three feet away without getting hurt.  The weapons don't shoot very far either, which takes some getting used to.  A full power bazooka blast used to go fairly straight for a long time.  Now, 15 feet out it drops.

Most of this I could overlook, really, except the lack of multiple controllers -- the dumbest oversight in the history of gaming.  This might work for four 10 year olds sitting on the floor next to eachother, but not for people relaxing around a living room.  It's inexcusable.  

I really had high hopes for this game, being a huge Worms fan, which made the disappointment all the worse.  I'm glad I rented it, but sad there probably won't be a good new worms game any time soon.

Anyone else play it?  What are your impressions?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Worms 3D :(
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 02:09:46 PM »
I bought it a couple of months ago. While not the most graphically stunning game ever produced it still is a ball of fun if everyone actually takes a few punts and uses ballistic weapons. (ie. bazooka, grenade, cluster bomb, etc).  That is my only complaint.  The whole new dimension makes it that much harder to aim and people therefore use homing weapons instead of having a go with unguided.  

The fact that the secret weapons have to be unlocked also ticks me off a bit, but what can you do.  Other then that it can be a very entertaining game. ( in my opinion anyway)

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Worms 3D :(
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 02:31:34 PM »
Worms rocks.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 06:29:11 PM »
Yeah, the one controller thing is a bit on the smelly side. But hey, if you have a Wave Bird, you can throw it to the next person with rofflecopter results. They started doing the whole one controller thing in Worms for Dreamcast, I guess they had a sexual relationship with it.

"MY TURN"
*Pegs controller really hard*

I don't see anything wrong with the graphics. Worms never needs to be an eye-candy-a-thon. Besides, just be thankful you're not playing the PS2 version. It starts chugging even when there's pretty much nothing on screen. ;__;

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 07:20:37 PM »
"But hey, if you have a Wave Bird, you can throw it to the next person with rofflecopter results."

If you have multiple Wave Birds you could set them to the same frequency and then you wouldn't have to swap controllers.  You would however have to trust your friends not to interfere with your shots.