Author Topic: Soccer Discussion: 1.67% Chance of Being the Best Thread on the NWR Forums  (Read 233961 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Soccer Discussion: Fast kickin', low scorin', and ties!
« Reply #375 on: March 25, 2015, 02:47:31 PM »
You're way more of an optimist about Miami than I am, specially after the Howler long read.

As for NASL, I stopped actively following the league after my dear departed Islanders folded, but it seemed the league was in way more rockier footing back then. The lame duck USSF Division 2 year, the last minute 2011 Division 2 sanction. Our Puerto Rico franchise was allowed to play even though we couldn't satisfy the lead shareholder rule, and so far it's been the only team to fold. The league at least appears a bit healthier, even it's superficial. If the league can find a buyer for the Atlanta franchise and the current planned expansion materializes the league can at least stay stable for a bit longer.

USL currently has no business thinking it can be D2, not with so many reserve teams, small stadiums and possibly fewer owners qualifying for the lead shareholder rule.

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 25, 2015, 02:53:54 PM »
I'm not saying Miami's going to work great, but they've given every indication that they're going to push it through anyway. Sacramento deserves it way more at this point, but they're making it sound like they missed out on this round, and San Antonio's still up in the air, so it pretty much only leaves them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 25, 2015, 03:12:36 PM »
I just think soccer in Miami is the same as the NFL in Los Angeles. They don't need you. Sacramento and San Antonio are way better venues, and the Scorpions have a solid fanbase already.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 25, 2015, 03:59:26 PM »
And like the NFL in LA, they're going to do it anyway.

And in more fun news, when Jozy Altidore's actually playing for his club and feeling good about himself he does **** like this: https://vine.co/v/O3JW3Odl3F7

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #379 on: March 25, 2015, 05:12:06 PM »
Another lead blown in the 2nd half........... This team post-Wolrd Cup is frustrating to watch. New away jerseys looked really nice out there!

You'd think with all the "fitness" training that Klinnsman does. We would not be having this problem. Our goal differentials between the the first and second halves are very telling.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:15:55 PM by Manthony Chopkins »
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 25, 2015, 05:56:45 PM »
I didn't get to watch the second half, and now I'm kind of glad I didn't. I really don't know what it is with these late collapses.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #381 on: March 25, 2015, 07:40:42 PM »
Part of me wants to blame the coach. Part of me wants to blame the players. Part of me thinks they will figure out it out eventually. Since I started seriously watching the team, the back line has not been as solid as the Cherundolo Bocanegra-Onyewu-(Insert left back of choice) era.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 25, 2015, 08:10:44 PM »
That's a pretty high watermark, though. Cherundolo and Bocanegra are two of the best players the U.S. has ever had, and Gooch was no slouch himself.

There's a lot of potential right now on the back line, but mostly guys with very little experience. John Anthony Brooks has been great this year in the Bundesliga, though was a bit shaky today. DeAndre Yedlin may have the most upside of anybody in the U.S. player pool right now, but his technical defending's still a work in progress. Ventura Alvarado's starting on one of the best teams in Liga MX at 21, though we saw very little of him today.

Honestly, I think Klinsmann should look more into the 3-5-2 he used in the first half in one of the friendlies earlier in the year. Yedlin and Brek Shea would make fantastic wingbacks, and our center back quantity may be better than our quality at this point. We're also considerably better in the central midfield than on the wings, so putting out a trio of Bradley, Mix and Bedoya in there would be pretty good.

Klinsmann needs a good performance in the Gold Cup, though. If he can't right the ship before then, I think he's in real danger of losing his job the way Bob Bradley did in 2011.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 25, 2015, 08:32:48 PM »
I think today was worse because it was Bendtner who screwed us...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 25, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »
How many people said the same things about losing to the U.S. because of Jozy Altidore during his awful run at Sunderland?

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 31, 2015, 02:04:15 PM »
The U.S. concede late again, but only after Jozy Altidore stupidly gets himself sent off. They were pretty clearly the better team when it was 11v11, definitely the strongest this team's looked since before the World Cup.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 08, 2015, 12:16:33 AM »
The Montreal Impact qualified for the Champions League during a season in which they finish dead last in MLS, and are now only the second MLS team to reach the final. Crazy night tonight down in Costa Rica.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 15, 2015, 08:36:01 PM »
We're a half hour out from what looks to be a pretty weird USA-Mexico match. Crazy unexpected lineups, the worst field conditions you'll find this side of a Central-American cricket pitch, and the US playing at home in front of an away crowd.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 15, 2015, 11:05:13 PM »
Wow. Make all the qualifications you want, that was one hell of a performance from the U.S. The first college player called up in 20 years scores in his first start, and Juan Agudelo gets his first international goal since 2011, with quality performances all around them. Dos A Cero, once again.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 27, 2015, 01:37:26 AM »
There's no such thing as an ugly game when you beat Portland.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 29, 2015, 10:02:15 PM »
Montreal managed to take a lead into the final 45 minutes of the Champions League final before blowing it. On one hand, it's incredibly impressive they got this far considering how lousy of a team they are, but on the other, that lousiness is how they did it. MLS teams don't have the depth to be able to effectively play in multiple competitions simultaneously, and the ones that are actually good (rightfully) put their emphasis on the league.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 29, 2015, 10:20:41 PM »
MLS' structure means it's never going to win the Champions League when it has to face up against the might of the MX clubs.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 29, 2015, 10:34:30 PM »
I don't think the structure has anything to do it, apart from the current position of the salary cap. The starting 11 in one of the top teams in MLS could certainly compete with the starting 11 of most Liga MX teams, the issue is once you get more than a couple guys down the bench that is so, so much less true. With budgets as limited as they are, teams have to put most of their money into guys who play most or all the time.

When you're playing multiple games per week across MLS and CCL you're forced to go deeper, and it suffers. Teams like New York, Portland and RSL, all undeniably much better squads than Montreal, were in the preliminary rounds of this tournament last fall, and they didn't advance largely due to putting their main focus on improving their chances of winning the MLS Cup. Until MLS teams are deep enough to play both, this is going to happen.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 29, 2015, 10:42:44 PM »
It'll be interesting to watch this fall how LA and Seattle fare in this this fall. Those two teams have arguably done the best job cultivating their academies of anybody in the league, and having the guys that they do there, as cheap as they are because they're homegrown, might give them an edge that other teams haven't had in that stage.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 27, 2015, 12:14:43 AM »
FIFA officials to be extradited to the U.S. to face corruption charges.

I never thought I'd see the day. Friday's election for FIFA President should be interesting.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 27, 2015, 02:47:14 AM »
I've always done my part to fight against the corruption by not watching any soccer. Not even World Cup. The rest of you should all be ashamed for helping such a massive criminal organization gain such financial power.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #396 on: May 27, 2015, 06:46:02 AM »
They wanted to get Sepp but couldn't because he's hiding out in countries that don't extradite to the US?

Luckily, the Women's World Cup starts soon in Canada.  ;D
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 28, 2015, 08:44:37 AM »
They don't have the goods to go after Sepp yet. That has to wait until they flip one of his underlings against him.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 05, 2015, 04:35:25 PM »
Gyasi Zardes.
John Brooks.
Danny Williams.
Bobby Wood.

Three goals by guys who might not have made the Gold Cup squad, and one by a central defender, lift the U.S. over the team that was third in the world last summer. I watched it happen, and I'm still not sure it was possible.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #399 on: June 05, 2015, 08:03:50 PM »
Oranje crushed! I was working unfortunately. I saw the goal highlights and it looked like they had the Dutch defenders spinning. I was not expecting that. Also, Even though Sepp has resigned, I have little faith things at FIFA will change.