Author Topic: Switch is so popular people don't even post  (Read 1857 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Switch is so popular people don't even post
« on: December 23, 2023, 06:32:46 PM »
132.2 million?

Back in the Gamecube days the consoles was doing so abysmally poor and everyone was up on here talking all the time.

That's 6 times Gamecube sales!

At least Gamecube had Eternal Darkness.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Switch is so popular people don't even post
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 11:03:53 AM »
That's because the Switch actually has games people want to play so there's less time to post.  The original tag line was "where Nintendo fans go to bitch", so since there's not much to bitch about anymore, no more post.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline grubbywhat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 11:40:40 PM »
132.2 million?

Back in the Gamecube days the consoles was doing so abysmally poor and everyone was up on here talking all the time.

That's 6 times Gamecube sales!

At least Gamecube had Eternal Darkness.
There's less time to post because the Switch genuinely offers games that people want to play. I believe that the Gamecube's development direction may be to blame for this.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 11:59:21 AM »
Eh, I'm still working through my Wii backlog so no time to post about Switch.

Seriously, the Switch is pretty ok... but it's also absolutely flooded with ports and re-releases. I feel pretty bad about missing Kirby and the Forgotten Land and Xenoblade 3, but after getting past those games the selection of new titles we really want to play is actually pretty slim. (Note that we already played Tears of the Kingdom on a loaned console.)

We've also moved from Nintendo consoles to Steam Deck because family library sharing is MUCH more friendly and it still provides a great mix of docked/portable gameplay. When we want to enjoy some polished Nintendo software, we rely on our Wii and Wii U backlog which has about 80% of the Switch library available anyway.

*bitching challenge accepted - how did I do?*
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 01:53:39 PM »
The Switch does have tons of ports and re-releases.  But I don't find it to be a problem because the Switch has strong enough third party support that there are enough new games on the system available that you could avoid the re-releases and still have a healthy backlog of stuff to play.  Prior to the Switch Nintendo would remake an old game and that was it, for like a three month window.  Play this port or play nothing.

I also wouldn't discount PS4 ports even if they come a few years late.  Again, back in the Gamecube days a port of a well regarded PS2 game was a valuable entry in the library.  That sort of thing isn't great if you own all the current systems but if you only own the Nintendo one then that's essentially a new game.  It's the sort of thing that between the SNES and Switch was rare for Nintendo consoles.  Over the last year I'm starting to see the types of games I'm interested in get announced for the PS5 and not the Switch but prior to that I could kind of assume that the Switch would get the games I'm interested in.  And if that's happening for like 80% of the games on your radar then you don't get hung up on the missing 20%.

With digital downloads now being the norm I would expect a significant amount of old games available on the eShop.  When music switched from records to CDs or videos from VHS to DVD it wasn't like only new content was available.  Classic content made the conversion as well.  If you went to a book store historically it wasn't like the shelves only had books written in the last five years, there were classics that would remain in print for decades.  Videogames should have the same thing.  The fact that Nintendo made that Mario 3D collection a limited time release is nuts.  Those games should just be "in print" forever in whatever digital store Nintendo has.  So in the modern world a console should have tons of old stuff, it just needs to also have a steady stream of new games.

Something I've thought of is if you loaded up the max SD card the Switch can support (which I think is 2 TB) you would have a fantastic time capsule of video game history since it has so many key games from Atari to the present.  If you were to send something out to space like the Voyager Golden Record a fully loaded Switch would be perfect.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 12:17:14 AM »

I'm just glad to know you're ok. You stopped posting during Covid and I began to wonder if something happened to you pertaining to that.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 09:11:41 AM »
The Switch has been by far my most used console since launching.  Even with how dry it was to start, Breath of the Wild provided plenty to do on it.  Graphical fidelity is nice, but performance is much more important to me now, so as long as the system can keep outputting good games that run decently I'm fine. 

132.2 million?

Didn't find myself here until the later Wii years, and had been active during the Wii U era.  I do miss the more active community here, but suspect the discord has pulled some people away.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 11:03:07 AM »
The Switch does have tons of ports and re-releases.  But I don't find it to be a problem because the Switch has strong enough third party support that there are enough new games on the system available that you could avoid the re-releases and still have a healthy backlog of stuff to play.  Prior to the Switch Nintendo would remake an old game and that was it, for like a three month window.  Play this port or play nothing.

I also wouldn't discount PS4 ports even if they come a few years late.  Again, back in the Gamecube days a port of a well regarded PS2 game was a valuable entry in the library.  That sort of thing isn't great if you own all the current systems but if you only own the Nintendo one then that's essentially a new game.  It's the sort of thing that between the SNES and Switch was rare for Nintendo consoles.  Over the last year I'm starting to see the types of games I'm interested in get announced for the PS5 and not the Switch but prior to that I could kind of assume that the Switch would get the games I'm interested in.  And if that's happening for like 80% of the games on your radar then you don't get hung up on the missing 20%.

It's also funny how some people discount ports that are on the Switch when the hybrid nature of the Switch makes those ports handheld games as well.  I mean half of the GBA's success 20 years ago was getting handheld ports and remakes of SNES games.  So when the Switch gets a late port, it's no real different than the ports and remakes the GBA was getting.

So to 99% of the general public (since less than 1% even know the Steam Deck exist), the Switch is the only way to play many of these games on a handheld.  So the Switch getting ports that are considered late, it's not a big deal compared to previous home console only systems when the handheld benefit is a pretty big deal to make some people want to buy it, even if they might already own it on a different system.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 03:10:56 PM »
The problem specifically for me (which doesn't affect the majority of people) with copious Switch ports is that I've been around a long time, and have most of the original games available and playable already. Sure, being portable can be a plus... but I mostly game at home anyway. Sure, enhanced graphics and/or bonus content is nice... but that rarely justifies a repurchase. Third-party games that weren't accessible to Nintendo gamers are amazing additions for people who haven't played them elsewhere, but between PlayStations and SteamDecks at home, we've largely got those covered too (at least the games that interest us most).

Objectively, I recognize that Switch is a fantastic system and that my complaints are super-specific to my situation. But how am I supposed to bitch if that's the whole story?

I'm just glad to know you're ok. You stopped posting during Covid and I began to wonder if something happened to you pertaining to that.
Nah, I just didn't have anything to talk about. Still pop in occasionally to read though.

...  I mean half of the GBA's success 20 years ago was getting handheld ports and remakes of SNES games. ...

Oh man... Final Fantasy VI GBA was my childhood dream come true.
I have to admit that the Switch getting the whole Xenoblade trilogy created a similar feeling... (RIP: X)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 03:22:32 PM by ejamer »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024, 10:37:19 PM »
The Switch's library just runs circles around the Gamecube. We aren't slogging through drought land or swimming across red oceans any longer. It really is amazing considering how generation after generation since the N64, Nintendo's pipeline of games always ended up that way. It's no wonder we don't talk about anything anymore. Well that and we are all 20 years older...

As Ian Sane said the Switch is a great time capsule for game history. So many old school collections and remasters that give someone like me who is nearly pure Nintendo a chance to see what all the hubbub was about. Also beyond that, its just easier for me to have it all on one convenient device instead of 7 ancient consoles hooked up into my modern tv.

Circling back to Nintendo's output this generation, that first year really did them wonders. There were a ton of Wii U ports/enhancements and ultimately it paid off big time. With the Switch2 however all of those games have dried up. Star Fox Zero? I loved it but nah that won't cut it. There aren't many Wii U upgrades they can turn to this time but I don't think they need to. Especially if these rumors about more generations old games getting remasters or remakes as well. Bring on more Mario RPG's I say.

With the way that Nintendo holds back releases and sends them out when it's time makes me feel like they've got their development schedules on lock. Well as down pat as something like video game development could be. I'm betting the next Nintendo is going to have a very satisfying first year as well with something major to majorish coming out every month with 3rd parties filling in the gaps as well.

Seems like Mario, Metroid, Mario Kart and a few others are just waiting...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 10:39:29 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2024, 09:03:55 PM »
The problem specifically for me (which doesn't affect the majority of people) with copious Switch ports is that I've been around a long time, and have most of the original games available and playable already.

The only problem I see with this is that a lot of old hardware/software is breaking down. As in decomposing. It's unpredictable what is going to last past 40 years. I was watching this video on some old Mac Hardware from 20 years ago that is no longer working or badly corroded. Even if it was kept in immaculate condition .
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2024, 10:21:55 AM »
The problem specifically for me (which doesn't affect the majority of people) with copious Switch ports is that I've been around a long time, and have most of the original games available and playable already.

The only problem I see with this is that a lot of old hardware/software is breaking down. As in decomposing. It's unpredictable what is going to last past 40 years. I was watching this video on some old Mac Hardware from 20 years ago that is no longer working or badly corroded. Even if it was kept in immaculate condition .

Which is why Steam killed Nintendo for me...

Nintendo still doesn't manage digital rights very well - so all of this "it's great to have all my games on Switch" talk sounds wonderful for roughly the next year, before the system gets replaced with something newer and support dies out.