Author Topic: GameCube still has the potential to be "revolutionary"  (Read 7276 times)

Offline MODE_RED

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GameCube still has the potential to be "revolutionary"
« on: July 28, 2004, 01:11:48 PM »
If game developers decide to make it so.

There doesn't need to be any new accessory or upgrade. The controller itself has much more potential, as does the GBA connectivity. While this may seem ridiculous, there are tons of things we can do in a game that can be done on the GCN that will be thought of as revolutionary when they come out on a next-gen system. What's stopping a GameCube revolution is the mindset of most game developers. Most are trying to hard to conform with the current state of the gaming market and the mindset of gamers as a whole. They are not looking to revolutionize anything for GameCube alone. They are thinking mass-market, cross-platform, mainstream. As long as they are "freeing their minds" and coming up with new and better games, let them make their money. I just want to point out that if we wanted to, we as developers can make the GCN a revolutionary machine. However, it's just a tad bit late in the game to finally start thinking that way.
Developers, we should want gamers 2 fall in love with THEIR gaming experiences, not OUR feature lists. Let's not forget we're gamers too. But don't get stuck in your own dreams. What'd be special about dreams if we're all forced 2 dream the same thing? MODE RED

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: GameCube still has the potential to be "revolutionary"
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 08:47:14 PM »
Companies just give what the market and fans want. Endless rehashes and sequels. Nobody wants inovation, you have to force it upon them.

Offline AdvancedGamer

• View Profile
RE:GameCube still has the potential to be "revolutionary"
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 03:00:26 AM »
BS...GC is nothing now. Nintendos ignorance has lost them many customers and have cost them tons of sales. Game Developers now hate Nintendo, mainstream gamers hate Nintendo, and now loyal fans like myself are starting to hate Nintendo. What is the cause of all this?! Nintendos stubborness when it comes to online gameplay...ONLINE GAMEPLAY IS A REVOLUTION AND IS PROBABLY THE MOST "REVOLUTIONARY" THING EVERY TO HAPPEN TO GAMING. Why Nintendo ignores this fact boggles my mind. Why Nintendo fan boys ignore this fact boggle my mind.  
Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 04:20:16 AM »

Originally posted by: AdvancedGamer
BS...GC is nothing now. Nintendos ignorance has lost them many customers and have cost them tons of sales. Game Developers now hate Nintendo, mainstream gamers hate Nintendo, and now loyal fans like myself are starting to hate Nintendo. What is the cause of all this?! Nintendos stubborness when it comes to online gameplay...ONLINE GAMEPLAY IS A REVOLUTION AND IS PROBABLY THE MOST "REVOLUTIONARY" THING EVERY TO HAPPEN TO GAMING. Why Nintendo ignores this fact boggles my mind. Why Nintendo fan boys ignore this fact boggle my mind.

Yeah man, everybody in the whole world hates Nintendo. How dare they focus on quality single player gaming. How dare they! Nobody really gives a crap that you're angry you can't play Tetris Worlds online with GameCube. Go get an Xbox or something.  

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 05:42:58 AM »
I still don't see the appeal of on-line gaming and I'm sick and tired of this argument being brought up. If I pay $50 for a game, I don't think I should also pay a subscription charge to be able to play it. That's the main factor Nintendo avoids online gaming, they don't feel it's right to charge people to play a game. Probably why they support LAN play more and probably in the future, WiFi technology to connect consoles. That's the main reason they're ignoring online at the moment and "boggling" your mind. Though I doubt your mind is much to boggle with in the first place.
Oh, and online gaming is not a REVOLUTION as you so put it. It's been around for about a decade.
So, boo hoo. Go on, AdvancedGamer, and go cry with IGN who bitches about this freakin' issue EVERY DAY. Get Xbox Live and be sure to report back after you've been cut off numerous times by idiots who jump out of your game as they're about to lose.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 05:49:49 AM »
Yes, online gaming is a revolution! Never before did you have the chance to be called a "motherf#cking f#ggot" and a "f#cking cheater" by twenty morons at once! Never before did you have to suffer under lamers and griefers without being able to come over and smack them one! Never before did you have to pay for both the game and its usage! Truly revolutionary!

p.S.: Don't get me started on the design goals for MMOGs...

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 11:01:06 AM »
I can see how Online gaming would be considered "Revolutionary" but not by any means to change the gaming market.  When I was playing Socom a couple of nights ago, God, it pisses me off when you get into one of those "clan" games and they dont' want anyone on their team so they just kill you.  It takes away the whole experience.  Now with LAN, you know what's going on, you ACTUALLY know the people and you can talk to them and talk about strategies, unlike the headset where it's just people playing music.  So yeah, there's my stance on the whole "Online Revolution" and personally it can go to hell where it came from.  Bring on LAN games and improve single player experiences.  People who love online games are just one's that are following the bandwagon.  They work on computer because we have been playing online for 10 years, the new ones want "MURDER!! DEATH!!! CHEAT!!"

On a lighter note:  Online does give ALMOST unlimited replayability, that is if people are still playing.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 11:11:07 AM »
Also online games games has expiration dates case and point the Dreamcast. People seem to forget that what happens to FFXI or other MMORPGS when their servers are dead just a shiny peice of plastic.  Also online gaming is alright but i got over it when i got over Diablo II which basically was when I got a Gamecube at launch .  Online gaming is good in theory but has major drawbacks as well. Such as extra fees in Live and MMORPGS.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline seen33

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 01:25:09 PM »
ok u nintendo fans are dumb.  I like nintendo for the zeldas, metroids and marios and I will be buying the gamecube 2 because of this.  But im not gonna make the same mistake as I did this generation and buy only gamecube.  I will buy an xbox 2 as well.  Basically the xbox will be my main played system and when a zelda game or something comes out i will play that for 20 hours and move back to my box.

I Loved nintendo from the start but thier no online policy is killing them.  When your older and all your firneds have jobs no1 has time to call over the buddies to play.  If there ever is time they want to go out and not play video games.  Thus online gaming is the solution for multplayer anytime.  

I think your all morons for supporting nintendos dumb decisions like connectivity and no online.  Listen I like Nintendo games too.  But At least I can admit when their doing things wrong instead of defending them on every decision they make.  FACE IT... THEIR IN LAST PLACE NOW!!!!!!!!  And their in it cause of the bad decisions they make and all u fanboys support them.  I was reading the thread were nintendo redesigned the DS.  some people are actually saying having a system similar to sonys design now is a bad thing.  LISTEN U FOOL.  By changing something as simple as a design nintendo will probably make an extra 5 million.

another example is the gamecubes indigo colour and handle on the back.  Altho people like you and me dont care about that.  Mainstream folks see it as stupid and if they had just removed the handle and had a silver cube from the start I bet they would of sold better then they did.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 01:54:22 PM »
Check this out Seen, I already did establish this.  I know how it is to be in jobs from 9-5 and then other things that keep you from being with your friends.  I had an X-Box too at one time, and now I have a PS2.  I use the PS2 mainly for it's online play.  The reason why I chose the GameCube to be my main system of choice was because of that fact...when you do have friends (it could be on a weekend) you actually get to hang out with them, unlike them online games (which I do play mind you since their inception) where you're labled a cheater and get kicked off if you're too good.  That's the thing I don't like.  Call me a moron for that, but I don't care, I think it's pretty sad when a person has to belittle other people with a GAMING SYSTEM!! No matter how hard you try, you're not cool buddy.  And yeah, you can call me a "fanboy" all you want, but I don't care, it's my opinion, who are you to argue with SOMEONE ELSE'S TASTES?!!?  Oh well, just....walk away.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline seen33

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 02:30:21 PM »
im not arguing with your tastes.. im just saying if nintendo is doing all the right things.. why are they so unpopular?

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 02:38:51 PM »

Originally posted by: seen33

I think your all morons for supporting nintendos dumb decisions like connectivity and no online.

First of all, they're called "apostrophes". Learn to use them. Also, learn the proper useage of "your" and "you're".
Actually, I think connectivity with the GBA was a great idea, and the only reason Nintendo is abandoning it is because morons like YOU kept shouting in their face that you didn't like it. But I guess once Sony reveals that the PSP will connect with the PS2, you'll probably start spooging in your pants about it.

Listen I like Nintendo games too.

I find that hard to believe.

But At least I can admit when their doing things wrong instead of defending them on every decision they make.  FACE IT... THEIR IN LAST PLACE NOW!!!!!!!!  And their in it cause of the bad decisions they make and all u fanboys support them.

Um, guess what? I'm a Red Sox fan. And they've yet to win a championship in my lifetime. Does that make me love them any less? Hell no. Same with Nintendo. I don't care what place they're in, as long as they keep pulling in a profit (which they've been doing EVERY YEAR) and making great games, I'll support them 100%.

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 03:49:30 PM »
Nintendo would never do anything like that because then we wouldnt have to buy a whole new 200 buck system.  But i kind of agree it is now time for online Nintendo has seen other companies experiment and now its time to bring there great multiplayer franchises on line.  I dont think its bad if NIntendo puts there product out there and an option to bring it on line for 20 bucks a month more.  But i would like all the hardware that you need to be in the system already.
PikkCuber

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 04:06:27 PM »

Originally posted by: AdvancedGamerONLINE GAMEPLAY IS A REVOLUTION AND IS PROBABLY THE MOST "REVOLUTIONARY" THING EVERY TO HAPPEN TO GAMING.

LMAO!

Why Nintendo fan boys ignore this fact boggle my mind.

Maybe b/c most Nintendo fanboys are not interested in onrine gaming, perhaps?

Originally posted by: joshnickerson

Listen I like Nintendo games too.

I find that hard to believe.

I find it hard to believe this thread exist.  

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 05:33:21 PM »
The thing is its something new that gets people doing something excitedly rather than getting better at something old.  These are the majority of the people.  It sucks but thats the way things are.  I haven't seen many things truly amazing happen this generation other than graphics.  Pikmin is truly something but they talk about how Snoop Dogg is going to be in a game like its the greatest thing in the world instead.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 05:53:41 PM »
Please note my comments in bold

I think your all morons for supporting nintendos dumb decisions like connectivity and no online.  Listen I like Nintendo games too.  But At least I can admit when their doing things wrong instead of defending them on every decision they make.  FACE IT... THEIR IN LAST PLACE NOW!!!!!!!! nintendo is in SECOND PLACE world wide, it is your precious xbox that is in last.  And their in it cause of the bad decisions they make and all u fanboys support them.  I was reading the thread were nintendo redesigned the DS.  some people are actually saying having a system similar to sonys design now is a bad thing I thought we were all "morons" for not questioning nintendo .  LISTEN U FOOL.  By changing something as simple as a design nintendo will probably make an extra 5 million.

People here like nintendo, that is why it is a NINTENDO FORUM.  We also have our own opinions, and the right to express them. We DO NOT like to be called morons because of our opinions.

now why dont you do us all a favor, go play your precious xbox, with the online that is so "revelutionary" and leave us the he!l alone
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004, 06:03:38 PM »
Well draygaia i guess the general public enjoy a glitchy game with a RAP sound track, with snoop dog and a GTA CLONE must smell sucess rather than a "game thats kiddy to the misinformed public".

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 08:01:56 PM »
Nintendo is like Shrek.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2004, 10:35:59 PM »
Hm, why is Nintendo still number two (well, in the west, they're the number one publisher in the east)? Perhaps because they are NOT like EA? A company that gives the public what the public truly wants will become EA, because that's what EA does. Nintendo managed to revive the console market by NOT giving the market what the market wanted, instead they made something and made the market want it. The market doesn't want online gaming but so far all tries (even Nintendo's) to make the market want online failed. Well, okay, they reached a few million, but that's not enough if you want to have a profitable service. Do you know just how many paying subscribers an online service needs to be profitable? A single MMO that charges 10-15 bucks per month needs several hundred thousand just to break even and that's just for one game. No optional multiplayer (i.e. has an offline mode) game has that many people playing. Microsoft is bleeding money, Sony uses the same approach as Nintendo (though they make a few onlne games themselves). Hell, why don't you blame the third parties who never give their Cube versions an online mode? Nintendo doesn't stop them from doing that.

Offline AdvancedGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2004, 07:27:51 AM »
First of all I am not talking about xbox live... I don't even own and xbox and I am not some stupid xbox fanboy... I used to be a die hard Nintendo fanboy like u guys so I know what u guys r talking about but just to make some points...

"How dare they focus on quality single player gaming."

I have nothing against quality single player games....nothing. However a great single player game's experience can be multiplied when u have online gaming to play after u have beaten the single player game. Lets face it maybe u won't get bored of it when u beat it the first time... but by the second or third time it starts to get boring and eventually after a month it just sits on your shelf and collects dust unless u trade it in and get a fraction of your money back. When you have a game thats online you can play it for months on end and not get bored of it...its so fun trust me you have to try it. An example of a game like this I am talking about is Call of Duty. This fps blew me away... I couldn't tell you how great the single player campaign was you would have to try it for yourself. But after the single player was done I had multiplayer to play with and I play this game all the time it is still so much fun even though I have been playing it for like 5 months straight.

"Nobody really gives a crap that you're angry you can't play Tetris Worlds online with GameCube"

Ok you knew when you typed this that that was really stupid... of course noone wants to play Tetris Worlds online. But every "fanboy" here can agree they would have absoultely loved to see Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, mario tennis, mario golf, f-zero, and many other games online. Of course you would have. Who wouldn't want to go on to their gamecube and play f-zero with 29 other nintendo fanboys. But once again Nintendo let us down... oh well maybe next generation. -_-

"If I pay $50 for a game, I don't think I should also pay a subscription charge to be able to play it. That's the main factor Nintendo avoids online gaming, they don't feel it's right to charge people to play a game"

I don't know of any console games that you have to pay subscripion fees for and the ones you do have to pay subscriptions for on the pc are MMORPG. I think what you might be talking about is the xbox live yearly subscription fee. Well of course $50 sounds like alot out of the gate but its really less than $5 a month... of course you could spare less than $5 a month. And with ps2 all you have to do is by the online adapter for $40 and your set.

"God, it pisses me off when you get into one of those "clan" games and they dont' want anyone on their team so they just kill you. It takes away the whole experience. Now with LAN, you know what's going on, you ACTUALLY know the people and you can talk to them and talk about strategies, unlike the headset where it's just people playing music. So yeah, there's my stance on the whole "Online Revolution" and personally it can go to hell where it came from."

I agree most console gamers who play online are annoying like that... you should try pc gaming most of the people are not like that at all... they just want to play... strategize...its really fun. They say their is a big difference between console online gamers and pc online gamers.

"When your older and all your firneds have jobs no1 has time to call over the buddies to play. If there ever is time they want to go out and not play video games. Thus online gaming is the solution for multplayer anytime. "

Very true as you get older you and ur friends get jobs and it is very hard to get a bunch of friends together, say even four, to play.

Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2004, 08:04:16 AM »
Well advanced i bet most of us played PC online such as me,  but i never trade in games cause its a rip off, Even though EA just sticks another crappy James bond game insert sports game  here and other generic games they create by them selves, Nintendo is always the dominant 1st party dev/publisher comparing to SCEA and Microsoft Game Studios and nothing might change that in the future.

As for console subscriptions theres quite on all consoles and you forgot to mention some Xbox live downloads costs money.  And guess where clan play originated from, oh yes the PC, so theres always dipsh*ts  on Console online play and PC online play.

Advancegamer you seem to forget that internet and online play on PC is more of a primary feature and, online play on consoles is more like of a secondary feature.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2004, 08:53:56 AM »
I have to disagree with you AdvancedGamer....playing Super Smash Bros. online wouldn't be nearly as fun as it would be with friends.  Sure you wouldn't need friends to play online, but as I was stating about console online games, there would be clans and people would be cheating.  Especially with one such as this, invincibility, speed and the problem of lag would severly deter this game to nothing.  SSBM would, like communism, be great in THEORY, but in reality, it just wouldn't work out like we wanted it.  Mario Kart would show the same similarities.  I would hate to not to be able to tell the person who's in the backseat when or where to throw it.  I would SEVERLY hate it if I was teamed up with some ten year old novice player and the other people have cheaters.
Alot of single player games rarely get boring after the first time you play it.  The reason why they get boring is because they are so damn long.  A game with only about 45 minutes of play, say Ikaruga, is infinate with it's extremity of hardness.  A game like FFX gets boring the second time you play it because you don't wnat to endure that "never ending" game that lasts 80 hours.

These are my opinions, if you argue with them, what's the point, they are MY VIEWS

Also the thing about playing online on the PC is the same thing with the clans.  Except this time you get people who have joysticks and can demolish you and your little keyboard and mouse setups.  So in essence, like I said earlier, online gaming is wonderful, IN THEORY though, but in real life, it shows that it's nothing more than what people thought the DS was, a gimmick.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2004, 09:08:37 AM »
Until the lag issue gets "fixed" I'm not playng online, period. Can't snipe aircrafts when your shots come 0.2 seconds later.

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2004, 10:15:59 PM »
Ok first of all sgtshivers, you pointed out that this is a forum in which you can express your views, very good observation, but you then go on to dissuade him from argueing with your views, meaning you can argue with his views yet advanced can't argue with yours, a little hypocritical don't you think. Also just because this is a Nintendo forum it shouldn't mean that we can't hear the two sides of the argument, which you Fanboys are doing.

Second, it has yet to be seen how a fighting game being made with online in mind, would play, again this is aimed at you sarge. If SSBM and Mario whatever(there really are a lot and who said something about EA) where built with online in mind then, I THINK that they would run fine, granted the connections were good. But my theory has yet been proven so I will wait till Mortal Kombat Deception and Dead or Alive Ultimate are released before I claim anything as fact. Oh and don't give me that BS with the Capcom fighting game being very laggy, ok because that Game was a poor port that was slapped with an even poorer online mode.

Another thing, stop calling people who disagree with your opinions Xbox fanboys, thats so damn immature. I own an Xbox, I also happen to think that online would be a good thing for Nintendo because that way they won't be seen as the company behind the times. I also happen to think that Xbox will be the U.S. market leader in the next generation because of the amount of interest I see with my very own eyes. In the past 2 days at my store I have seen 2 people trade in their PS2 and every game they had, all for an Xbox. Oh and one of those 2 guys came in the store today and I asked him how he liked his Xbox and he said that he had no regrets about getting one, despite all he had to give up. I am positive Sony won't come up on top next gen. And you know what, despite seeing Microsoft on top next gen in the US I will probably be exclusive to the revolution for a good year or so because I know it will great, just like the Gamecube was and still is great, best in my opinion. And Although I love my GameCube, Seen43 is right, Gamecube would have sold better had it been marketed in Silver. I don't think the handle mattered much but the color was offsetting to many.

Now I've have been reading these forums for a while and just because I have a dissenting opinion I don't believe it would be right for you to call me an Xbox fanboy, dispite me telling you GameCube is my favorite. I am just like you guys, eagerly awaiting my reserved Nintendo Games which include, Madden 2005(even though I have an Xbox I get Cube version cause I hate Xbox controller), Paper Mario 2, Need For Speed Underground 2, Prince of Persia 2, Metriod Prime 2 and Resident Evil 4, Now just because I am also eagerly awaiting  Fable and Halo 2 for my Xbox does that mean I'm an Xbox fanboy. If you guys say yes then I think I would have to find a new forum do to the stupidity that would be demonstrated.

Rich Tannous
Gamestop employee that knows that EB can't even compete.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2004, 06:30:20 AM »
I think I speak for pretty much everyone, rich, when I say that we do not mind other people voicing their opinions as you just did.  What we care about is when people resort to calling all of us stupid moronic fanboys bacause we like nintendo (like seen 33 did), all just to get their point across.  That is when we get p!ssed off.

Also if you post a different view of ours, we will argue it, just like when we post something you argue about it, if you want to have both sides of an issue than there will be argument, that is just the way things go.  Like I said I do not mind argueing as long as people dont resort to insults.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257