Author Topic: Metroid Prime 2!!...2!...2......  (Read 6491 times)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Prime 2!!...2!...2......
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2004, 07:28:49 PM »
On a forum, maybe. Or a Teen Chatz Room.

Offline Cube_King

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Prime 2!!...2!...2......
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2004, 10:11:07 PM »
Im not worried about the Multiplayer in MP2 AT ALL. Everyone was bitching when they said they'd make Metroid First-Person and that ended up working perfectly. These guys are brilliant. I dont think I've overestimated them.
"A bad game is bad forever, but a good game is even better..........." Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2004, 10:31:41 PM »
Basically, my feelings about Retro including a deathmatch mode in Prime 2 are that Retro is making a mistake this time that they were smart enough to avoid the last time around.

See, when Prime 1 was first revealed to take place in first person, most fans freaked out. "Freaked out" is an understatement. It was more like "Oh no Retro is raping our beloved franchise! FPS? WTF!?! Burn in hell, Retro! Burn in heeeeellllllll!". All the Metroid fans KNEW Prime was going to suck. They KNEW that Metroid SHOULD have been a third-person action adventure. There was no way they could capture the "Metroid feel" in first-person, right?

Retro was smart to ignore the fans on that one. Instead of going with the potentially hazardous third-person shooter route, they went with what they knew worked. Now, they're adding a superfluous deathmatch mode because the fans asked for it, even though Retro probably knows it's not a good idea.

Am I saying developers should ignore gamer feedback? Absolutely not. But they should be smart enough to know when NOT to fulfill a request, when they know the request is unfeasible. They're going to get MORE complaints for the weak multiplayer mode than if they had just left it out.

It reminds of how Rare added pointless multiplayer modes to several N64 games just for the sake of having a multiplayer mode. JFG, DK64, Banjo-Tooie...

Before anyone calls me a hypocrite because I act like I know the multiplayer mode wont be anything special, I would like to point out the the E3 impressions were so-so, so it's not like I'm basing my opinion on nothing. I suppose anything could happen by the time the final product launches, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

The bottom line is, they're wasting time on a useless multiplayer mode that would be better spent on making the one player game more awesome.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2004, 11:38:18 PM »
Chill.  They had lots of dev time this time unlike last time so now's i guess a good time.

Good times, everyone.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2004, 05:38:39 AM »
Multiplayer doesn't detract from the main game, so as long as it's acceptable, it's not a problem to me...In fact, the addition of the morph ball in standard Deathmatch is very, very intriguing...If Retro puts enough "morphball escapes" into levels, the multiplayer could be a whole new experience...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2004, 11:07:54 AM »
I could care less about the multiplayer, as my other personalities can't come out and play... I don't play multiplayer games because I have no one to play with ;___;

I was one of those people that freaked out about Metroid Prime being 1st person, but I got the game anyways after word got out that it was't a 1stPerson Shooter.  I never regretted buying the game, it didn't make me want to go out and buy actual 1st person shooters though.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2004, 11:25:54 AM »
Like Bill said, having "morph-ball escape routes" could make multi-player very interesting.  Now, think about this:  Was Metroid Prime what you expected?  Was it like anything you've played before?  Most likely not.  What makes you think that the same thing won't happen this time around?  

I don't play multiplayer games because I have no one to play with ;___;

Then buy the DS and play with me, nistu. ^_^  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline notic

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2004, 03:42:21 PM »
I heard that there's DM mode and Bounty Hunter mode. Bounty Hunter mode is when you search for tokens to earn points and kills earn some points as well. EGM says that Retro is working on even more modes. Don't even sweat multiplayer in MP2.
Check one two~Who got more style than son do

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2004, 04:00:43 PM »
I think the multiplayer will be great, you have to remember where the majority of retro's staff came from.  Zoid, one of the head programmers... Was the guy that made Team Fortress to begin with.  A very large part of retro's staff has multiplayer FPS backgrounds, Its not like the multiplayer hasn't had enough time to be thought out... and its obvious that the level design is going to be amazing.

They've been working on multiplayer since before the original prime, thats more than enough time to realize if its fun or not.  I've been talking with some of retros staff (and exstaff), and none of the issues seem to have anything to do with multiplayer, I have faith in retro, they amazed the hell out of me before, i don't see why they won't do it again.

Of course, i suppose we'll find out on november 18th.

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2004, 09:11:21 PM »
You know what, I believe that we have nothing to fear with this multiplayer, I was unsure of whether a First person metriod could be done and then the give me a game that was better then I coulda imagined. Then there is the publisher, Nintendo, now we all know that Nintendo knows how to put out good multiplayer games. I'm sure each of us have spent hours playing the multiplayer modes of smash bros, Mario kart/tennis/golf/party and what about GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, and Conker, so its not like Nintendo doesn't know what a good multiplayer mode is. So lets be patient and optimistic that Nintendo will once again deliver on a fine multiplayer mode.

Offline notic

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2004, 05:08:06 AM »
Woah. The maker of TFC is in Retro Studios? I friggin love TFC. Is there anyone else like that guy who worked on good FPSs that are working in Retro now?
Check one two~Who got more style than son do

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2004, 10:00:08 AM »
Does anybody know of a UK Release Date yet? "Q4 2004" is not good enough, and neither is not finding it anywhere online to pre-order!
Considering Pikmin 2 has been on pre-order for over a year.....

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2004, 10:02:03 AM »

Is there anyone else like that guy who worked on good FPSs that are working in Retro now?

I don't know if they're still there, but I know there were some people at Retro who had worked on Doom, Quake, and Half Life.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2004, 03:55:10 PM »
Yeah, some of them are there.
this is a good article on the subject:
http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=325

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2004, 04:32:43 PM »

Good times, everyone.

Yeah, I like that show too.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline OG_OriginalGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2004, 08:47:56 PM »
I get the feeling MP2 multiplayer, may be the GC Goldeneye. Retro has so much time left to polish the single player and multiplayer that will create an experience new to all of us. Having the Charge beam, Grapple beam, morphball bombs, powerbombs, missiles, and the virus download by scanning a player.

Picture this, your playing free for all. You catch a player off guard, he or she is attacking another player. You approach them from behind and you unleash a powerbomb. The powerbomb doesn't destroy them, but their energy light is blinking. He or she goes into morphball mode to avoid an imminent death, and search for energy.

How about someone is grappling across an area, you spot them and fire a lock on missile or a Chargebeam combo. Knocking them down.

I think there's so many unique scenarios that can occur when the different concepts of Samus world and weapons that lend them to unique level designs as well.    

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2004, 01:27:31 AM »
Yay!

For anyone in the UK, MP2 is now available to pre-order for £29.99 (Free P&P) at Play.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

A release date of December 1st 2004 is being touted.