Author Topic: Silicon Knights and Nintendo break up  (Read 63167 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Silicon Knights and Nintendo break up
« Reply #375 on: April 21, 2004, 10:18:09 AM »
See?  This is why I hate new, casual gamers...They bawl for realistic "hardcaw" games when they don't seem to realize that yes, games were around long before they were entranced by pretty pixels...Let me press A to swing my sword and B to use a secondary item and I'm happy!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline the_zombie_luke

• Baron of Game On
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Silicon Knights and Nintendo break up
« Reply #376 on: April 21, 2004, 10:23:19 AM »
I couldn't agree more, Bill. I like simple games, but just because a game is simple doesn't mean it is easy. Games like Viewtiful Joe and Castlevania:Symphony of the Night are simple to play, but they have very deep gameplay.  

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 21, 2004, 10:49:12 AM »
Yeah but the beauty of Viewtiful Joe is that it can become complex with the different combos you can string together and knowing in what fights which powers you should use. sure you don't have to use the powers to fight all the time and thats what makes it simple. Nintendo is right that Complex games will only get you so far but every game needs a certain degree of complexity similar to VJ.

oh VJ2 is gonna rock!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 21, 2004, 10:55:53 AM »
Really?  It certainly isn't too complicated for my sister who plays videogames once in a blue moon...Now unless she's a videogaming genius(which she's not from what I can see) than VJ's fighting system isn't very complicated(She bought the game, and I haven't bothered, nor care, to steal it from her)

Offline chlupe

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 21, 2004, 11:06:49 AM »
"Check out the more popular games. They feature great stories and graphics. Not simple graphics and no stories."

Yeah, and since when does "popular" mean "good?" What about, great stories and graphics, but no gameplay? Although I felt that ED had good gameplay, I was worried about Dyack's insistence that story is the reason to play games. I may be mistaken, and if I am I apologize, but I remember reading a quote from him saying that the reason gamers play games is to flesh out a story. I'm a gamer, and I have been for 17 years, and I've never liked a game where the quality of story and gameplay are inversely proportional, Denis. So as great a job as you've done w/ Nintendo, I can't disagree with you more.

"See? This is why I hate new, casual gamers."

Bill, you might enjoy this then: http://www.trigames.net/newsitem.php?content_id=172&console=0
"I have FURY!"
http://trigames.net Version 2.0, accepting reader contributions

Offline the_zombie_luke

• Baron of Game On
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 21, 2004, 11:18:19 AM »

Originally posted by: Rich
Yeah but the beauty of Viewtiful Joe is that it can become complex with the different combos you can string together and knowing in what fights which powers you should use. sure you don't have to use the powers to fight all the time and thats what makes it simple. Nintendo is right that Complex games will only get you so far but every game needs a certain degree of complexity similar to VJ.

oh VJ2 is gonna rock!

Yes, but VJ isn't hard to pick up and play. You could say it is easy to learn, but hard to master.  

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 21, 2004, 11:30:59 AM »
Yeah, and since when does "popular" mean "good?" What about, great stories and graphics, but no gameplay?

Popular can be good as well, but your right not always. I dont really care either. See In the end what i want the most is for Nintendo to be succesfull and prosperous, and alianating most gamers by making simple quirky games, might be good for the niche, fanboy market but not for the mainstream market.  It probably leads you to how SNK sold thier Neo Geo. Dedicated solely for the main fanbase. Bare in mind their Samurai Showdown games rocked, but it led them to become a third party eventually.  

Offline the_zombie_luke

• Baron of Game On
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 21, 2004, 11:32:30 AM »
If Nintendo can get a lot of third parties again, they can make whatever software they want.  

Offline chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 21, 2004, 06:30:03 PM »
Okay I would just like to point out something I have probably read all of Iwata-san's interviews and not once has he said that technology wasn't important he said it would become less important, and thats true graphics arn't going to get much better and games are getting more and more complicated, how many times have you given a controller to someone and they just hand it back after two minutes because it was too difficult to decifer the controls. These statements arn't there to show Nintendo doesn't care about graphic's or story for that matter,(I could be wrong but I dont think I heard Iwata-san even mention stories as being unimportant) but Nintendo are saying this because they know if they dont rejuvinate the industry in Japan people will lose interest and so they are trying to bring new people into gaming but how will they do this if these people cant figure out how to play and so the answer is simpler controls not smpler as in Pacman but simpler as in Mario and Zelda anyone can figure out how to play these games, so please try not make it seem that Nintendo doesn't know whats going on right in front of their eyes they aren't blind they see more than you expect.

By the way; both Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid both fall under the category of easily controlled games, people easily learn both games controls in seconds.

To The finder... the island of Koholint, is but an illusion... human, monster, sea, sky... A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye... Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle... Cast-Away, you should know the truth!

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 21, 2004, 09:08:15 PM »

Originally posted by: chaos
Okay I would just like to point out something I have probably read all of Iwata-san's interviews and not once has he said that technology wasn't important he said it would become less important, and thats true graphics arn't going to get much better and games are getting more and more complicated, how many times have you given a controller to someone and they just hand it back after two minutes because it was too difficult to decifer the controls.

Hmmmm ...the only time that happened was with my 74 yr old grandpa. So never.
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 22, 2004, 12:31:20 PM »
Well I suppose its different for each person, it happens me all the time with my uncle or aunts but i've seen it with other people too but I suppose your right i cant guess it
happens to everyone
To The finder... the island of Koholint, is but an illusion... human, monster, sea, sky... A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye... Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle... Cast-Away, you should know the truth!

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 05, 2004, 02:51:06 PM »
Do we still know absolutely nothing about all this?
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 05, 2004, 03:07:37 PM »
SK STILL has a giant Nintendo logo on their main site.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 05, 2004, 03:13:58 PM »
Infernal Monkey's take on the SK situation:

"Hey I'm bored, let's make an announcement that we're leaving Nintendo, K?"
*employee's giggle like school girls*

*Rings up IGN*
"IGN?  Is your fridge running?  Well you'd bett-WE'RE LEAVING NINTENDO BECAUSE!"

*hangs up*
"I AM SO LOL TONIGHT!"

*2 months later*
"oh hey, weren't we sposed to tell everybody this was a joke?"
"oh yeah, we'll do that tomorrow or something"

*out of business*  

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 05, 2004, 03:36:23 PM »
I've noticed that the world hasn't ended since they split from Nintendo, so I guess everything's fine.

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 05, 2004, 03:52:16 PM »

that is until they release some AMAZING GAME thats for another console
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 05, 2004, 04:07:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Chongman

Which will sell just as well as Eternal Darkness... wait...

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 05, 2004, 04:20:44 PM »
Oh c'mon. You know that with the PS2 fanbase a game like ED would have sold gangbusters.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 05, 2004, 04:40:40 PM »
Nope, too deep for the casual gamer...That equals failure, unfortunately...

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 05, 2004, 04:48:28 PM »
I don't think it would have sold well on the PS2 because of it's deep story and fantastic gameplay. I think it would have sold well because it had zombies and monsters.

If you put zombies and monsters in ANY PS2 game it well sell 500'000 units gauranteed.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 05, 2004, 05:04:49 PM »
"Oh c'mon. You know that with the PS2 fanbase a game like ED would have sold gangbusters."

Come on yourself.  They can't even get a game like Ico or Megaman X7 to sell on the PS2.

Myth: Games sell better on the PS2 becuase there are more of them.

Fact: Games might have a little advantage on PS2 ownership, but the chances of it selling are the same as everywhere else.  In fact, I'd argue that certain games get lost in the shuffle and are quickly discontinued, so their slaes might actually be worse than if they tried a less-cluttered platform, where their game might get a little more attention.

It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 05, 2004, 06:00:24 PM »
"Which will sell just as well as Eternal Darkness... wait..."

Why do we care?  I don't want SK to release a great game on another console because I bought a Cube under the assumption that all SK games would be Nintendo exclusive for this gen.  Regardless of how well a PS2 SK game would sell it would be a game we Cube owners wouldn't be able to play and that sucks.

"They can't even get a game like Ico or Megaman X7 to sell on the PS2."

I'll agree with ICO but isn't Mega Man X7 that sh!tty 3D Mega Man game?  3D Mega Man deserves to sell like ass.

"In fact, I'd argue that certain games get lost in the shuffle and are quickly discontinued, so their slaes might actually be worse than if they tried a less-cluttered platform, where their game might get a little more attention."

I agree completely.  You know why Acclaim did so well last gen?  Because they focused on the games starved N64 audience where they were able to get okay but not great games like Turok and Extreme G to look like major titles.

Anyway to get back on topic I too am wondering we we've received no follow up to this.

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 05, 2004, 06:04:53 PM »

*whispers* revolutiooooon
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline notic

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 05, 2004, 08:48:30 PM »
Why didn't Nintendo buy out SK like it did w/ Retro?  
Check one two~Who got more style than son do

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 05, 2004, 09:16:00 PM »

Published by Acclaim.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289