Author Topic: Why is no one talking about Prince of Persia?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline ItalianPlumber

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Why is no one talking about Prince of Persia?
« on: November 29, 2003, 07:23:06 AM »
The game is unbelievably good. I got it the same day as MKD and have put in far many
more hours with POP. Finally a third party game with production values and gameplay worthy of being on the cube. Does anyone else agree??

Offline savanna03

• View Profile
RE:Why is no one talking about Prince of Persia?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 08:16:53 AM »
i dont know... its tempting to get it but i dont want to buy another adventure games, i got way too many.  its made from an up and coming development house UBISOFT MONTREAL.  same guys that made SPLINTER CELL and its one of my anticipated game next year is the PANDORA TOMORROW.  PoP got a rave review everywhere and i dont know why it seems to be a sleeper title when this is already a  franchise.  if this game was exclusive to one console, i guess things would be a little different.
even in the message board, ppl seem 2 be intimidated by me.  it feels like im da slim shady him self 'cuz they had 2 use a microscope everytime i post...  blah they got nothing on me other than attacking my paragraphs...

Offline Smashman

• View Profile
RE: Why is no one talking about Prince of Persia?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 09:24:09 AM »
Yes, I am surely picking this game up soon!
I am the one and only Smashman. Don't believe me? Well, then. I shall entomb you!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 10:15:27 AM »
savanna, I wasn't very impressed with Splinter Cell to be honest.  It had some good ideas, but the delivery was horrid.  In the end, I gave it an "above average" rating.

I have yet to try Prince of Persia, but it's on my to-do list.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 10:33:22 AM »
unfortuanately alot of people remember prince of persia 3d...which actually wasnt so bad...still it wasnt great. However this game looks awesome and Jordon Mechnar seems proud.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline mojorizin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 11:10:08 AM »
This is one of those I think we'll hear more about after Christmas.  I see it on a lotta gamer's lists, and I think its a must-have.

Offline savanna03

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 03:22:56 PM »

savanna, I wasn't very impressed with Splinter Cell to be honest. It had some good ideas, but the delivery was horrid. In the end, I gave it an "above average" rating.

whaaaaaaaaat u weren't impressed...  i thought it was impressive...  from graphics, to level design, to AI to plot development... i dont know what u meant by delivery but i got to admit though that the control wasn't spot on compared to METAL GEAR SOLID or any other NINTENDO games but it does still works.  it seems when it comes to control issue,  WESTERN DEVELOPERS seems to lag behind compared to JAPANESE DEVELOPERS.  oh well...  
even in the message board, ppl seem 2 be intimidated by me.  it feels like im da slim shady him self 'cuz they had 2 use a microscope everytime i post...  blah they got nothing on me other than attacking my paragraphs...

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2003, 03:45:30 PM »
Actually, I had no problems with the controls.  They were intuitive for the most part, and behaved well.  The character movement was sort of stiff, but it's too be expected in a game of that sort.

My main problem was the unvaried gameplay and the atrocious level design.  It would sometimes take me hours to pass a level.  Not because of enemies.  Not because of mission objectives.  Not because of being seen.  But because I couldn't find the single blasted beam, ladder, or path that I was supposed to take to get out of the dark-ass section of the level that I was stuck in and couldn't find my way out of.  Difficult enemies or situations is fine.  Difficult level design is not.

The other big problem I had with the game is the general inability of the game to draw a person in.  Metal Gear Solid always had a joke of some kind to keep things light.  Splinter Cell had none of that.  That's good, as it showed the developers tried to distinguish themselves from Konami.  What's bad is that it just felt like a missing feature.  The game wasn't really fun or rewarding at all.  I finished a level to find another boring section of poorly told story, and another level that features objectives that are perfectly accomplishable, providing you can figure out exactly what it is that you are supposed to do to get there.

Writing these two points in detail has brought to mind two more points that I must dig into now...

Everything in the game just felt scripted.  You knew when you were supposed to use certain weapons.  You knew when you were supposed to wall jump.  You knew when you were supposed to rappel through a window.  This wouldn't be a problem, except that those were often the ONLY actions that would accomplish the mission for you.  The developers forgot one of the cornerstones of good game design when thinking up those scenarios.  You are supposed to make each puzzle solvable in a variety of methods.  If there's a ravine that you can't cross, then you should be able to find a boat, or use a zip cord to get across.   SOMETHING to that effect.  Oftentimes, you had to keep trying until you found the solution the developer intended.

The last thing that really bothered me about the game was how I could leave a dead body lying in a corner of a freezer and somebody would find the body a minute later, while if I left the body laying in a dark hallway, nobody would think anything of it.  Metal Gear Solid 2 is a game that I don't really like that much, but at least the rules regarding bodies lying in the middle of a hallway were FAIR.  If you left a body lying in the corner of a freezer in that game, nobody would likely notice, because the game would take the time to figure out whether any guards are likely to patrol that area or not.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003, 04:43:50 PM »
I have PoP on my PS2 its a very good game, the only con i think is that combat is alittle lacking and the wall to wall jumps can be frusterating especially when off a beam, so far i put about 5 hours on the game 50% done. I happy with PoP and i would give it  between 9 - 10.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2003, 06:05:49 PM »
too many games too little time and money....i have heard good things about another sleeper hit...beyond good & evil. i will pick up one of them, but i dont know which one.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2003, 06:20:40 PM »
Part of me dies each day I don't have this game.  As for Mario Kart: Double Dash, I love it.   My pals and I have beaten all but the very last uber-special Cup Mode (I won't mention what it is in case someone doesn't know about it).  I must say, though, that I wish Nintendo had put more time into lengthening the game.  Don't get me wrong, you'll play the multiplayer for AGES, but  just a glance at "chock-full" games like Super Smash Bros Melee shows just how much more the Big N could've added to the game.  It's actually VERY bare bones, which is part of Mario Kart's charm AND one of its drawbacks.  Anyway, that's it.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2003, 06:55:15 PM »
Well I have to suffer for not having Mario Kart and Mario and Luigi Superstar saga until my Bday (12-21) and Xmas.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2003, 08:17:14 AM »
My brother got it for the PC and he is raving about it. I plan on getting it myself. It looks awesome. I really need a good action game about now. I recomended it to friends as well? And for xbox its live enabled eh? How does that work?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2003, 11:50:59 AM »
This game is definitely worth the pick-up.  I haven't read too many posts on it, but it should be on ever CUBE owner's radar.  My only gripe with the game is the length.  I beat it in about 7 hours on Thanksgiving Day.  The other problem with the game are the visions at every save point.  UBISOFT might as well show you a video on every little move you have to make for each puzzle.  Despite these minor problems, this game has a shot at GAME OF THE YEAR.  Its Super Mario 64/Sunshine but the moves are limited for more realism and the art style is different.  The gameplay reminds me of what "Out of This World" was for the SNES.  
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2003, 05:07:36 PM »
Is it rediculously easy the 2nd time around, especially after experiencing how to get past the puzzles?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2003, 10:16:08 AM »

And for xbox its live enabled eh? How does that work?

The PoP xbox live feature is basically nothing and wasted. Its just for recognition.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2003, 10:21:59 AM »
Double post.