Author Topic: Smart watches: The latest in unnecessary technology  (Read 11013 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Smart watches: The latest in unnecessary technology
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 10:17:52 PM »
Just having all my phone notifications is pretty great. I can see what emails and whatnot are without having to take out my phone all the time. I've also got a watch face that shows the current weather and the next event on my calendar. The really great thing is it makes it easier to subtly ignore people.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 12:29:09 AM »
lol

I figured it's greatest tool would be so you wouldn't have to. BTW, does it do anything obnoxious like vibrate, beep or blink whenever you receive a new notification?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 12:37:23 AM »
Great, now we have five sizes of internet devices.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 12:45:36 AM »
lol

I figured it's greatest tool would be so you wouldn't have to. BTW, does it do anything obnoxious like vibrate, beep or blink whenever you receive a new notification?

It does vibrate, but you can turn that off in the settings.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 12:46:54 AM »
I think the watch or bracelet is a great idea down the line. As phones start to reach the abilities of modern day laptops, all we really need is something like a CPU we plug into a shell ala the Moto Matrix. Give me a keyboard, a track pad and a bigger screen and run it with my phone. Voila! No more need for dedicated laptops for most people (as long as the software's on par). On the flip-side, if I could tone down the checking and rechecking of my phone when carrying it around and just have the barebones experience of checking messages and simple facts from my arm. Voila! Now there's a choice I make to look at my phone and not just one to see if I've received something consequential.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:50:46 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 12:52:58 AM »
This is really the first generation of these that don't suck. If they can get a decent number of people to buy in, they'll only get better over time.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »
Too Lazy to look for the Android thread this is a much better fit.

Most of us are rarely without our smartphones in hand. These powerful supercomputers keep us connected to the world and the people we love. But we're only at the beginning; we’ve barely scratched the surface of what’s possible with mobile technology. That’s why we’re so excited about wearables—they understand the context of the world around you, and you can interact with them simply and efficiently, with just a glance or a spoken word.

Android Wear: Information that moves with you
Today we’re announcing Android Wear, a project that extends Android to wearables. And we’re starting with the most familiar wearable—watches. Going well beyond the mere act of just telling you the time, a range of new devices along with an expansive catalogue of apps will give you:
Useful information when you need it most. Android Wear shows you info and suggestions you need, right when you need them. The wide variety of Android applications means you’ll receive the latest posts and updates from your favorite social apps, chats from your preferred messaging apps, notifications from shopping, news and photography apps, and more.
Straight answers to spoken questions. Just say “Ok Google” to ask questions, like how many calories are in an avocado, what time your flight leaves, and the score of the game. Or say “Ok Google” to get stuff done, like calling a taxi, sending a text, making a restaurant reservation or setting an alarm.
The ability to better monitor your health and fitness. Hit your exercise goals with reminders and fitness summaries from Android Wear. Your favorite fitness apps can give you real-time speed, distance and time information on your wrist for your run, cycle or walk.
Your key to a multiscreen world. Android Wear lets you access and control other devices from your wrist. Just say “Ok Google” to fire up a music playlist on your phone, or cast your favorite movie to your TV. There’s a lot of possibilities here so we’re eager to see what developers build.

The concept watch hat might be the Nexus W

LG

Motorola 360
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 03:53:05 PM »
That looks pretty dope.

I can't see myself wearing one, but the execution looks spot on, like that is target renders and not anything like what we will actually get.

Google Now is also pretty damn awesome, for the limited things I use it for, and to be able to tie all that to home automation from your wrist also sounds like worthwhile innovation going on at Google.

Google Now: Temp 62o out, 25 minutes from home
You: Ok Google, turn on heat to 70o
You: Message Jenny - please pick up milk from store - send

I assume the watches work on Bluetooth/wifi connected to your phone for internet connection though.
This will not work if I need yet another cell contract to use the watch.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 04:00:47 AM »
Motorola completely nailed it. They realised - unlike Samsung and others - that it needs to look like a watch and not a piece of technical equipment.

I assume the watches work on Bluetooth/wifi connected to your phone for internet connection though.
This will not work if I need yet another cell contract to use the watch.

Bluetooth is the most likely choice given Bluetooth 4 supports low power mode, although having wifi would help (so it can reach google servers and skip the phone). Having a 3G/LTE modem would probably shorten the battery life to hours though.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 04:33:18 AM »
I've gotta wonder what the battery life on those models is. My Pebble lasts about a week between charges, but that's with it using an e-paper screen. These would seem to have considerably less than that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 09:55:52 AM »
This emphasizes that point I need to get out of my runt and actually start programming in something that can be used by interesting devices instead of soul killing business work.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 06:53:19 PM »
Moto 360 has just killed all over smartwatches. Nice job.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 09:03:51 PM »
I'm digging the Moto360 but I can't find any videos of the display in action. I like the fact that it looks more like a watch but I also want to make sure i can see the damn thing; I wouldn't like if some text is cut off because of the rounded display.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »
The Moto360 google hangout

I'm hoping for an Android wear product that's more along the lines of a fitbit or Galaxy gear fit.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2014, 11:17:35 PM »
It's thicker than I thought it would be (that's what she said)...I hope it's waterproof.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA