Author Topic: Holy Kickstarter! Keiji Inafune creating a new "Mega Man" style game!  (Read 8155 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

INTRODUCING "MIGHTY NO. 9"

Currently it's only for PC via Steam (with gamepad support), but if stretch goals are met, the team will create versions for home consoles (Wii U?) as well.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:56:47 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Kickstarter! Keiji Inafune creating a new "Mega Man" style game!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 11:07:55 PM »
I'll buy it if it comes out on my console of choice. I will not pay Keiji Inafune to make a nearly-$1 million knock-off of his own work.  Also, Keiji Inafune & his team are more than capable of getting funding from a real publisher.  This isn't the kind of thing that Kickstarter should be used for, as I've said before with other Kickstarters started by developers so they don't have to spend their own money to make games few seem to want to buy.

But hey, our generation has long proven itself obsessed with recapturing our rose-tinted childhood. This Kickstarter will easily reach its goal and probably reach a decent amount of stretch goals as well just off pure nostalgia.

I'm far more interested in Capcom's response to all this, considering they've basically mothballed Mega Man seemingly out of sheer spite for Inafune.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 11:10:36 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 11:19:36 PM »
I wonder if Capcom could press charges for copyright infringement, since this game seems like a direct clone of Inafune's very own Mega Man.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 11:20:42 PM »
The game will release in 2015

bailout.gif
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 11:50:13 PM »
A year and a half in development ain't bad, but $2.5M for PS3, 360, and Wii U versions? Maybe if it was for PS4 and X1. Kickstarter should enforce a limit of $500K for video game projects. If you raise more, awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if this project reaches its initial goal.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 12:09:45 AM »
But hey, our generation has long proven itself obsessed with recapturing our rose-tinted childhood. This Kickstarter will easily reach its goal and probably reach a decent amount of stretch goals as well just off pure nostalgia.

You are right on there. People keeping chasing the games they played when they were kids, then are disappointed when they don't live up to their memories. The problem is not that the new game isn't good, the problem is no game can make you feel like you're twelve again.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 02:59:19 AM »

You are right on there. People keeping chasing the games they played when they were kids, then are disappointed when they don't live up to their memories. The problem is not that the new game isn't good, the problem is no game can make you feel like you're twelve again.

Mega Man 9 & 10 were perfect recreations of the NES games, and New Super Mario Bros. was a nice treat for fans of the old games.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 04:42:40 AM »
Also, Keiji Inafune & his team are more than capable of getting funding from a real publisher.
Just because he can doesn't mean he wants to. Keiji Inafune left a lofty high ranking position at a large publisher because he wanted to develop games Capcom wouldn't let him make. He was tired of Capcom's complacency. As head of development at Capcom, he oversaw all of their games and his superiors still wouldn't listen to him. Why in the world would he want to be shackled to another publisher that barks orders at him, telling him what games to make and how to make them? While Inafune has the experience and clout to get a publishing deal from just about any publisher not named Capcom, it's obvious what he really wants is the freedom to create. Not everyone wants to work for the man. Inafune went indie to... well, be independent.
This isn't the kind of thing that Kickstarter should be used for, as I've said before with other Kickstarters started by developers so they don't have to spend their own money to make games few seem to want to buy.
Kickstarter should be used for whatever the hell people are willing to pay for. That's why it works. If a project meets its goal, surely enough people want to see it happen. In its first day, Mighty No. 9 has already met 1/3 its goal. Call it nostalgia if you want, but maybe people just like these kinds of games and it's not like there's been many of them lately. Capcom sure as hell wasn't going to make a game like this with or without Inafune. Besides allowing Mega Man in Smash Bros. at Sakurai's request, they've practically been pretending the character doesn't exist.

I like Mega Man though I've only played a few of the games. I have no special attachment to the character, especially compared to certain others. While I am interested in hearing more about Mighty No. 9, I haven't contributed to the Kickstarter because the Mac version is a stretch goal and I'd want it on Wii U anyway which is an even higher stretch goal. I simply disagree that this game should be off-limits to Kickstarter because Inafune can find a publisher. I consider that unfair. Outside of anything illegal or unethical, I don't think any creator, unknown or well-known, should be limited in their pursuit of artistic integrity, freedom, and expression, even if it's not my cup of tea.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 09:04:42 AM »
This makes me wish that Megaman Legends 3 could have been on Kickstarter.  That probably would have been successful as well. 

This does wake me wonder how closely someone could imitate a known IP without being sued for it.

"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 10:34:27 AM »
He came up with the Mega Man design - but it still seems like a risky move.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 10:58:48 AM »
Looks can be decieving. All we've really seen is some art. As long as Inafune is not reusing assets or source code, this should be fine.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »
There have been some pretty blatant (and admitted) rip-offs of classic games in the indie scene already.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 03:53:53 PM »
Yeah.  It's just that the high-profile nature of Inafune's departure from Capcom that made me wonder about it.   I can imagine the hate that would be pointed in Capcom's direction if they attempted to issue some sort of C&D.

Just noted that the kickstarter has nearly acquired 2/3 of it's goal; 30 days left.

As broodwars said, I would also be interested in seeing Capcom's reaction to this.  If nothing else, maybe it will show them that there is still some interest in the Mega Man franchise.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:02:22 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 02:42:06 PM »
And it has been funded.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 11:26:49 PM »
Jools from Renegade Kid had offered his services to create a 3DS version.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 11:30:37 PM »
looks cool! ;D
Made you look ****.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 12:11:28 AM »
suck it Capcom.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 12:19:40 AM »
Jools from Renegade Kid had offered his services to create a 3DS version.

I asked him this via Twitter, but not sure I'll get a response.  Anyway, it wasn't that long ago that Jools was going on about how he was through working for other people and wanted to create his own, original work.

Seeing him jump on this is *nice*, in a way... but I'd still like to see more of Jools.

I suggested MiniNo9, a 3DS project spear-headed by Jools that serves as a tie-in to the main game, not just a port. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 12:47:18 AM »
How big is renegade kid?

Right now they're working on

The 3D horror game
Tresaunauts
Mutant Mudds 2

Granted mighty isn't hitting till 2015.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 08:23:44 AM »
I'm considering contributing to the Kickstarter once it gets closer to its console stretch goal as I have no interest in playing this on a computer. Given how quickly it reached the regular goal, I think it'll hit the stretch goals by the end of the week.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 10:13:46 AM »
I think it be folly to think the Keiji Inafune is trying to copy Megaman.  Megaman has always been so much his creation.  More so then his other work.  Its not very surprising that in the same genre he would solve the problems in a Megaman style.  Not to mention his team are former Megaman Vets.  I be very surprised to find them design something in this genre that didn't at some level feel like Megaman.  That be like me coming on the forums and posting in Russian.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »
The console stretch goal has been lowered to 2.2mil.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »
Interesting. They probably didn't need to do that considering how much support they've been getting. When all is said and done, Comcept will likely have crushed the original console stretch goal by a fair margin, but hey, I'm not complaining. They just made it that much easier for me to get what I want. They've already cleared $1.5 million in less than a week.

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 10:03:58 AM »
It is now a Wii U game

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 12:05:15 AM »
Woot!