Author Topic: Calling all Apple fans! (iPod, iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc.)  (Read 27436 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Calling all Apple fans! (iPod, iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc.)
« on: September 12, 2012, 05:06:45 PM »
At Apple's press event today, they unveiled the new iPhone 5, which has a taller 4-inch screen. The device itself is thinner than the older iPhone 4S, but it's the same width.

iPhone 5

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Apple also unveiled a redesigned iPod Touch. Like the iPhone 5, the new iPod Touch has the same tall 4-inch screen. It also has an A5 chip, meaning games play smoother and faster, with graphics that are more detailed. The new iPod Touch also comes with iOS 6 pre-installed, with features like Passport, Apple Maps (replacing the old Google Maps app), and even Siri. Yes Siri is finally on the iPod Touch, but of course it only works on Wi-Fi.

iPod Touch 5th Gen

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Siri on iPad 3, iPhone 5, and iPod Touch 5th Gen

There's also a new iPod Nano, with a slightly taller 2.5-inch screen. Pretty underwhelming.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 05:24:40 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all Apple fans! (iPod, iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »
Yep, it's still the same iPhone again - but now you can have...wait for it...another row of apps on your screen! I'm a fan of widescreen phones in general, but I think the iPhone actually looked better with a 4:3 (or whatever aspect it was) screen. The real pictures of the new phone look like bad Photoshop jobs from fans. Having the camera above the earpiece is an odd decision too...it looks like a room where you place all the furniture in a line, and while it looks "ordered" it makes it look kind of stupid at the same time. It's just my opinion though...and leaving out T-Mobile is a huge mistake. I like the new back a lot better (iPhone, not iPod Touch) and I'm sure I'll make a ton of money off of people breaking these things, so there's always that.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »
Honestly, I usually argue against Brandogg's claim of it being the same phone over and over, but the only thing separating this from a 4S is the wider screen and LTE, and I don't even care about the former. Still, though, as someone who has had an iPhone 4 for over two years, I'll be buying an iPhone 5, and switching to Verizon in the process. I'll probably hold off until early next year, though, to ensure that I have the money necessary for the Wii U launch and so I'll have an untethered jailbreak solution ready and waiting for me when I get it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:43:27 PM »
Switching to Verizon is always a good idea, unless you happen to live in that 2% of the USA where T-Mobile has halfway decent coverage (since you can do unlimited again now). The thing that will drive me even more crazy though, is that they call it a TALLER screen instead of a WIDER screen. For some reason the majority (if not all) of iPhone users have this problem where they take pictures and videos holding the phone vertically, which makes watching their videos actually hurt your eyes because it's such an odd aspect. Perhaps if they would point out that it's WIDE screen and not TALL screen, then maybe people would catch on.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 08:51:49 PM »
Well, since I have mine locked into portrait orientation 99% of the time, calling it taller would be more accurate. I only ever take it out of portrait to watch/take photos and videos.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:54:21 PM »
I thank you for that.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 09:00:52 PM »
Most people who their phones vertically, and that is also how measurements are. So calling it taller is correct, it's not wider.

I don't plan to get a iPhone anytime soon anyways. I have a 4th gen iPod Touch and don't have the money to replace it, so it sucks that I won't get Siri (I just like to have more features. As for iOS 6, I am a little disappointed Apple decided to drop Google Maps due to their ongoing fight with Google. Apple already said that their first party map app won't have the public transportation option (which is what I mainly use Google Maps for).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 09:23:42 PM »
I understand that most people hold their phones vertically, but the screens are still measured width by height just like a TV. You can jailbreak your iPod Touch and put Siri on it, but you'll end up just like most people with a 4S and never use it.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 09:45:47 PM »
I'd like to hear any Apple acolytes on the site defend Apple's absolutely horrendous earbuds. Say what you want about expensive hardware and battery life issues, but I'm of the position that those earbuds are indefensible. 
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »
I would still like to have Siri anyways. I can't seem to find any legit ways to install it without having access to a iPhone 4S to validate it with Apple. I see sites claiming to have ways, but they seem shady based on user comments on those sites. Oh well.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 10:08:23 PM »
I only read a small part of Engadget's hands-on with the "ear pods" but it seems like they suck.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »
Switching to Verizon is always a good idea, unless you happen to live in that 2% of the USA where T-Mobile has halfway decent coverage (since you can do unlimited again now). The thing that will drive me even more crazy though, is that they call it a TALLER screen instead of a WIDER screen. For some reason the majority (if not all) of iPhone users have this problem where they take pictures and videos holding the phone vertically, which makes watching their videos actually hurt your eyes because it's such an odd aspect. Perhaps if they would point out that it's WIDE screen and not TALL screen, then maybe people would catch on.

Ahem... I wrote all of that in the original post. Calling it a TALLER screen was my emphasis, because most phones are held in the vertical position.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 11:58:18 PM »
I only hold mine vertically if I'm calling someone or maybe reading an eBook, otherwise it's in landscape mode.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 02:59:05 AM »
I have a iPhone 4S, and a third gen iPod Touch.

My iPod Touch is locked out of iOS 6. Nice. Thanks apple.

The only thing that excited me through that announcement was that (and this is relevant to almost nobody here!) it's compatible with LTE frequencies here. And as EE (the UK's first LTE network) started its launch process this week, it's pretty much a lock that we are getting a LTE iPhone.

I'd like to hear any Apple acolytes on the site defend Apple's absolutely horrendous earbuds. Say what you want about expensive hardware and battery life issues, but I'm of the position that those earbuds are indefensible. 

I maintain my stance on this. It's too early to say about the earbud, but for anything pre-yesterday's announcement if you buy an iDevice and are still using the original apple headphones you deserve to have your iDevice confiscated from you. There is no reason on earth why you can spend several hundred dollars/pounds and THEN use those cheap shitty leaky headphones provided.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:24:24 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 08:13:53 AM »
It's a pretty standard update which is expected. I'm not sure there's anything any smartphone can offer that will set the world on fire for me. I've never needed the latest and greatest, even if I like having it. I like the money saved more. The iPhone 5 is an easy upgrade choice if you have a 4 or 3GS. Nothing besides time travel capabilities would convince me to upgrade to the next year's model. 4G and a larger screen are nice and all, but I'll gladly wait for a 5S. Iphones have excellent trade value so I will likely get my next one for free. At this point, for what I use my iPhone for, I'd be way more impressed by a longer lasting battery or even the ability to delete Game Center, Stocks, and Newsstand.

The upgrades for the iPod models are nice and long overdue. I wouldn't feel apprehensive about getting one if I wanted one, knowing Apple didn't update them last year.

I'm waiting for an iMac update though I'm secretly hoping Apple pushes that to next year when I can afford one and because I will have had my MacBook Pro for 3 years and will be due for a new computer.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:19:17 AM by Adrock »

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 08:38:21 AM »
I Never really got the whole hype surrounding Apple products. They make slick looking technology and software, but quite frankly I don't care enough about the tech to care. I have a Creative MP3 player, I have a Nokia Phone and I have a 3DS.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:41:09 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »
I like having access to the Internet practically everywhere I go. That's the appeal to me. It doesn't have to be an Apple product to do that. I'd probably be just as happy with Android, Windows Phone 8 or even the upcoming Blackberry 10. The iPhone does what I need it to do and until it doesn't, I'll stick with Apple.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 05:22:52 PM »

The upgrades for the iPod models are nice and long overdue. I wouldn't feel apprehensive about getting one if I wanted one, knowing Apple didn't update them last year.

I think Apple should just kill off the iPod Nano, Shuffle, and Classic (especially the Shuffle, since it's just a few buttons, with no screen to see any song details). Those iPods really aren't needed since the iPod Touch does all those things and more.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »
My family is under the iOS umbrella, so I think we are sticking with iphones for at least a little while.  My mother has a 4 and while she is due for an upgrade, I think she is going to wait it out because the 4 is fine for her and she now has a new iPad.  My wife is going from a 3GS to a 5.  She will love that.  Her 3GS has been slow for awhile now.  She got it from me when I got the 4S last year. Only my dad doesn't want one.  He's not tech savvy and he had a blackberry for years and years from work before he retired.  When he retired, he wanted another blackberry even though I tried to point out to him that everything is probably easier on an iphone or Android or WP device.  His choice.  They used the new iPad as their sole internet source while in Europe for the last four months and he doesn't want to change after that, so he probably will never change.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 05:31:46 PM »

I think Apple should just kill off the iPod Nano, Shuffle, and Classic (especially the Shuffle, since it's just a few buttons, with no screen to see any song details). Those iPods really aren't needed since the iPod Touch does all those things and more.
You make no sense.  If they sell, they keep them.  Simple as that.  People who jog love the shuffle.   The new nano will probably be very popular. 

You want Apple, a company notorious for not giving options, to get rid of all their options with the ipod?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »
That's like saying the world should have stopped making bicycles because cars exist.

The different iPod models serve different segments of the market. Some people love the Shuffle, for example, because it's relatively cheap and they just want music playing while they work out. The Nano is a bit strange because Apple made it larger and it's only $50 cheaper than the Touch, but I suppose there are people don't care for more than music and video. There are many people who love the Classic dearly because of it's enormous HDD.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »

You make no sense.  If they sell, they keep them.  Simple as that.  People who jog love the shuffle.   The new nano will probably be very popular. 

You want Apple, a company notorious for not giving options, to get rid of all their options with the ipod?

Because Apple's main revenue comes from the App Store, which none of those iPods support. Why not just have one iPod Touch that does it all?

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 05:44:10 PM »

Because Apple's main revenue comes from the App Store, which none of those iPods support. Why not just have one iPod Touch that does it all?
Because not everyone wants a Touch.  Some people like simplicity and minimalism in the shuffle.  Or they really want something that will fit in a small pocket like the nano.  And Apple makes money on all the ipod models.  Why throw away a revenue stream to try and get a small percentage more people to buy a Touch when they aren't going to use it to buy apps?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Exactly, Apple makes a big profit on the iPod hardware, and all those models can play music (and the Classic video) bought on iTunes. If they make profit for Apple, there is no reason to stop selling them.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 08:35:19 AM »
I can't find my old thread about AT&T finally letting you unlock your iPhone, but I just want to say that I can factory unlock ANY AT&T iPhone if you need. Price currently ranges from $35 (for 1-24 hours turn around) to $50 (less than 10 minutes) if anyone is interested. I don't need your phone, just the IMEI - again, this works on any AT&T iPhone (2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S...5?) but it does NOT work for Sprint or Verizon. Once it's done you just pop in the SIM card you want to use and plug your phone into iTunes (internet connection required) and it will be activated and PERMANENTLY unlocked. If you don't have the SIM card you want to use, you can just do a full restore and it will unlock that way as well.