Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises with SPOILERS  (Read 54340 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight Rises with SPOILERS
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2012, 09:28:37 AM »
If they needed more time they could have made the movies 6 hours long and split them in half so they would have the three movies divided into part 1 and part 2 and they would also have made more money doing it because they could have stretched the movies out over twice as many years.

But time constraints aside, there was also changed Jackson made which go against the spirit of Tolkien's vision which make no sense. For example, there was a scene in I think the third movie where Aragorn meets with the emissary from Mordor and Aragorn gets pissed off for some reason and chops his head off. That might have made for good cinematics, but that didn't happen in the book. Tolkien made Aragorn to be an honorable man who would respect the right of foreign diplomats not to be slaughtered on foreign soil, but Jackson **** all over that and it bothered me.

And I didn't like the scene he added after this battle where there was this dead Orc twitching and Legolas asked about it and Gimli said it was "because my axe is embedded in his nervous system". WTF?! People in that time wouldn't even know what a nervous system is. Why would he say that? That doesn't happen in the book. It was something Jackson tossed in for no reason.

You talk about the movies being limited by time constraints, but Jackson added in a lot of stuff that was never in the book. He might have cut more than he added, but instead of adding his own stuff he should have just cut out less of the original work.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2012, 10:55:49 AM »
This is an awesome Batman thread...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2012, 12:25:23 PM »
Chozo, I'm sorry, but you are completely and utterly wrong. I have also read the books and I find that I don't give a flying **** what Tolkien intended. The movies are better. They were a mindless action flick because a majority of the 11 hour (if you watch the extended edition like me) runtime of the series doesn't involve fighting.

And dude, there's no reason to call Jackson a fat ass. Not cool. Especially when he's skinny as hell now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »
the romans knew what a nervous system, but a couple hundred year later people didn't. Thats why they call it the dark ages. This doesn't take place on real earth, and Legolis is an elf and Gimli is a mythical dwarf. You can't say they didn't know this because its in the middle ages, because its not in the middle ages, its a fictional universe.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2012, 04:03:59 PM »
Even if they somehow knew about the central nervous system, that particular scene appears no where in the books.

Also, what about about how all the characters are made out to be bumbling buffoons? Gimli in particular gets picked on a lot in the movies as a borderline useless bumbling idiot. In the books he isn't like that. And why is it Legolas has bleach blonde hair, yet somehow has dark eyebrows? Would it have killed Jackson to invest a few more seconds of his time to make sure Orlando Bloom's eyebrows didn't give away the fact he isn't really blonde? This seems like a minor oversight, but considering Legolas is a major character that appears frequently in all the movies it is unforgivable. And its not like this was some 2-bit movie with a very limited budget, either.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:07:11 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »
and don't forget that Avatar wasn't so original either

I've never seen it before. It essentially looked like Dances with Wolves though. :P:

Yes! Finally saw Dances with Wolves last december and what an absolutely great movie that is. I haven't had a movie experience that so involved in quite some time. Afterwards, when I was recommending it and explaining it to someone to check it out, I realized that it was quite similar to Avatar. I remember Unclebob using the phrase Dances with Wolves in space to describe Avatar awhile back also. That said, the way BlackNMild2k1 shows the Pocahontas comparison does make it seem like the closer rip-off.

MODS LOCK THIS THREAD BEFORE I BREAK MY ONE RULE

Best thing I've seen in this thread so far.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »
Even if they somehow knew about the central nervous system, that particular scene appears no where in the books.

Also, what about about how all the characters are made out to be bumbling buffoons? Gimli in particular gets picked on a lot in the movies as a borderline useless bumbling idiot. In the books he isn't like that. And why is it Legolas has bleach blonde hair, yet somehow has dark eyebrows? Would it have killed Jackson to invest a few more seconds of his time to make sure Orlando Bloom's eyebrows didn't give away the fact he isn't really blonde? This seems like a minor oversight, but considering Legolas is a major character that appears frequently in all the movies it is unforgivable. And its not like this was some 2-bit movie with a very limited budget, either.

Dude, stop fucking nitpicking every little thing. Gimli was not a bumbling idiot in the film. He liked to drink, he fought just as hard as the men, and had a bit of humor to him. He was he protrayed as stupid?

And for the love of god, stop hating on anything that wasn't in the books. The books weren't perfect, and they were written a very long time ago. Culture has changed. Society has changed. These changes were modernization. Let it go man. Stop nitpicking.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2012, 04:49:32 PM »

first of all its an adaptations, because of this they can add and subtract anything from the books. They could make something radically different if they wanted. Making a movie that is just like a book wouldn't work. Those are called mini series, about 15 years from now it will be possible to do something like that and make it look good for a reasonable budget.

as far a Gimli being an idiot... George W. Bush went to Harvard AND Yale. It is possible to be contradictory in character. They might have even intentionally inserted this line for that reason.

I have blond eyebrows... they are no good. They give you this rottweiler appearance. Darker Eyebrows frame the face and make the eyes pop out more. Not bleaching them was a stylistic choice. Peter Jackson is not the one in charge of the makeup. He doesn't do that. He hasn't done that since brain dead. There are however a team of experts, and im sure one of them thought about it and thought "nah, he looks better that way"

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 09, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »
in the future i hope to turn this into a scary ass movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saWSxLU0ME8

By the way, if this was in answer to my idea of swapping movie ideas, then allow me to swap one with you. I don't know if you've been following the situation in Ukraine for the past 8 years but it's been really interesting. Back in 2004, there was the Orange Revolution which changed the government to one pro-west. The winner of that election made accusations that he had been poisoned by the opposition or from Russian agents seeking to keep the country with a pro-east government in power. But after a few years, that revolution failed and the pro-east ruler was re-elected.
Interestingly, there is a woman (not going to look up the name, somthing long and Ukrainian) but if I recall my facts correctly, she worked with the Pro-West leader and helped him get elected and was a huge figurehead in the Orange Revolution. However, she had a falling out with the pro-west leader and helped in him losing the next election to the pro-east ruler although she was seeking to become the ruler herself she became the prime minister. Obviously, she didn't get along with the pro-east ruler and they clashed over many things. Finally, the pro-east ruler had her arrested on charges that she murdered some business leaders so that her company could buy up their assets and gain the wealth and influence that it did. She denies this and is opposing him from her prison cell now.

I think it would make a really interesting move of power, politics, betrayal and subterfuge.

Anyways, that's one current idea I've recently become interested in.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 09, 2012, 02:58:09 PM »
Interestingly, there is a woman (not going to look up the name, somthing long and Ukrainian)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yulia_Tymoshenko_November_2009-3cropped.jpg

I know nothing about her positions on the issues, but from the look of her I think she's got my vote...
is your sanity...

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 09, 2012, 04:27:23 PM »
Yep. That's her.

Plus, I think it would be a sort of timely movie. With the recent Arab spring revolutions, it would be a warning to show how revolutions can succeed at first yet still fail and things revert back to how they were. This is already sort of close to happening in Egypt. However, with it being a European country and more of a pro-West vs Russia or pro-east movement, it might be more appealing to the U.S. audience than a movie with about an Arab nation. Not tying to get political. Just making a statement based on what I think are viewing tastes based off other movie's box-office earnings.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:34:26 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 09, 2012, 05:29:07 PM »
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2012, 11:35:12 PM »
Interestingly, there is a woman (not going to look up the name, somthing long and Ukrainian)

I know nothing about her positions on the issues, but from the look of her I think she's got my vote...

id hit it

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 09, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »

id hit it

whoah, whichever dude she's talking about is hung like a horse!

anywho; I'm bumping this thread to ask if anyone has picked up the home release. Have you?

I have and I'm in one of my curious modes.. I've always been curious at what sort of details the film makers put into the background or certain scenes. So here's a small little find that might be interesting to some.

The scene where Bruce pulls up Selina Kyle's criminal record, you can clearly see quite a bit of info on there. Her date of birth is listed as 9/21/85, making her about 27 if the film is set in 2012. She's 5'7 at 125lbs.. meow indeed ;)

As seen in the scenes where she steals Bruce's car, she is a fan of speeding as she has a ****-load of speeding violations, at least 10 (listed on screen) between the years of 2010 and 2011 (a good indication that the film might be taking place in 2012, thus verifying her age).

Her criminal charges list shoplifting and resisting arrest of course, but the one I found most interesting was drunk & disorderly conduct, what makes it even better though is the date of the charge is listed as 11/3/98, making her 13 at the time LOL. The shoplifting and resisting arrests charges (2 each shown on screen) are from around the same time, '98 and '99.

Now, I'm no Batman nerd, unfortunately :P, so I don't know what the cannon back-story is for Selina Kyle but I'd imagine it's accurate that she started burgling at a young age. The drunk & disorderly charge at 13 though just makes for a funner visual, at least to me.

Wonder what other interesting things I'll find..

and yes, I'm incredibly bored. I have a bad cold and I'm a little hung-over right now with nothing better to do
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #214 on: December 09, 2012, 09:05:17 PM »
There is no set Batman canon, it varies from medium to medium (and even within the same medium, from comic to comic , movie to movie, tv series to tv series, etc.)
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 09, 2012, 09:22:07 PM »
There is no set Batman canon, it varies from medium to medium (and even within the same medium, from comic to comic , movie to movie, tv series to tv series, etc.)

When I went to watch the Dark Knight Rises in the theatre when Catwoman showed up in her suit for the first time in the move all of the dudes (including myself) were giving the catt call whistle. It literally echoed through the room. The casting director did a good job of selectin Anne Hathaway for the role, and the wardrobe did a good job on her costume.  ;)
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #216 on: December 09, 2012, 09:29:07 PM »
She was nice, but not as good as you say. And the cat whistle thing is corny and lame, and something only pigs do.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 09, 2012, 10:27:29 PM »
Pigs can whistle?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #218 on: December 09, 2012, 11:18:03 PM »
I didn't think she was that hot. Not to say Anne Hathaway isn't good looking or anything.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 09, 2012, 11:37:22 PM »
I have the one true Batman Canon in my head.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 09, 2012, 11:37:51 PM »
Pigs can whistle?

Around these parts we call groundhogs (yellow bellied marmots) whistle pigs.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 12, 2012, 10:24:46 PM »
You ever go to IMDB when you're bored and read about movie goofs and then try to go back and see if you can catch them?

That didn't happen. I noticed a wire that must of been carrying The Bat (plane) and it annoyed me because I'll never "unsee" it now, and I just bought the damn movie. grr
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 12, 2012, 10:28:02 PM »
http://youtu.be/IkMPZ7WeDck

A good laugh. Some genius has had a play with Bane's dialog in a few of the scenes.

Loving the disco music in the batwing.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2012, 10:57:06 PM »
I actually posted that in the youtube funhouse thread, further proving the funhouse is dead :(

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 12, 2012, 11:31:10 PM »

The canon goes like this:

- Rich billionaire Bruce Wayne sees his parents killed as a child
- As an adult, he goes on a long spiritual journey to find himself and train in martial arts
- When Bruce returns to Gotham, he decides to fight crime
- He chooses a disguise that will invoke fear in his enemies: A Bat
- As Batman, Bruce uses his wit, stealth, and gadgets to take down the criminals of the city
- His trusty butler, Alfred, assists him in his crime-fighting duties, acting as a sort-of sleuth behind the scenes
- Along the way, Batman befriends a young boy who will eventually become his sidekick, Robin
- Batman's main villains are The Joker, Two Face, Catwoman, and The Penguin

THE END
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:08:58 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931