Author Topic: Symbian? (Nokia's old smartphone OS)  (Read 2620 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Symbian? (Nokia's old smartphone OS)
« on: December 03, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »
I've been reading about how Nokia killed off Symbian to support Microsoft and Windows Phone. I'm guessing that was a smart move, because Symbian isn't quite a household name like Android, iPhone, and Windows. (I first learned about it during Nokia's Windows Phone announcement)

It's ironic, because Symbian has supposedly been around longer than all of those platforms, yet barely anyone talks about it. If Symbian was so popular, then why didn't it get more publicity from developers and journalists? Even Blackberry is more well known, and that platform is more or less irrelevant now.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:52:24 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Symbian? (Nokia's old smartphone OS)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 12:46:21 AM »
Symbian is the shitty old OS you find on some crappy Nokia phone you'd get off of eBay. The ironic thing is that they jumped from one sinking ship to another. Windows phone is now at 3.2% (down from 3.6% in July).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 02:48:08 AM »
Symbian is the best OS ever. It was rock solid (before it started expanding post-iPhone), the battery life was solid and bugs were few and far between.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:58:40 PM »
Symbian is a phone OS.  It was not designed to be a Smartphone OS.  It was a different time when it was made.

*Shrug*  The biggest problem Windows Phone has is that people don't want to try it.  Its an excellent phone that will do most of what people want without downloading a single app.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 03:45:04 PM »
Symbian will still be around for awhile, Nokia signed a deal to let Accenture keep supporting it until 2016. Before iOS, Symbian actually had like 60% of the cell phone market share.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »
So Symbian was never designed to be a smartphone OS? That explains why I've never heard of it; cell-phone makers never placed emphasis on designing a capable OS in the pre-smartphone era.

So once iOS and Android hit the scene, that's when the OS became a major selling point for phones?

And I agree that Windows Phone is rock-solid. My girlfriend has an HTC Radar Windows Phone and she loves it. It's stable, rarely crashes, and its apps seem optimized well. I can't say the same for my iPod Touch. I've been having constant app crashes since I updated to iOS 6 (Safari crashes often when I write comments on this site).
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 05:03:56 PM »
There was Windows Mobile in the pre-iOS/Andriod days.
And also Black Berries, but I don't think the OS was a selling point.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »
Yeah,

Windows Mobile and Black Berries are both very capable and Windows Mobile ahead of its time on the wrong track.

Back to Symbian was like the engine of your car.  Only enthusiasts cared but, to everyone else it was just old reliable.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »
Nokia can support Symbian all they want, but it's sitting at 1% market share, which technically is still a lot of devices, I suppose, since there are billions of phones out there.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 07:08:01 PM »
Symbian is a phone OS.  It was not designed to be a Smartphone OS.  It was a different time when it was made.

It was more of a smartPHONE OS rather than a SMARTphone OS. It's largely designed to work with a standard phone keypad.

I still have my N95 for a backup phone, too. Better battery life than anything you'll find nowadays, and a sweet camera.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 09:37:23 PM »
Nokia can support Symbian all they want, but it's sitting at 1% market share, which technically is still a lot of devices, I suppose, since there are billions of phones out there.

It's at 2.3%, which indeed is a lot.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20