Author Topic: Microsoft to buy Yammer for $1.2 billion  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Microsoft to buy Yammer for $1.2 billion
« on: June 25, 2012, 08:38:38 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-buy-yammer-1-2-billion-181928916--finance.html

Isn't it nice to have so much money that you can toss a billion here and a billion there and its no big deal? Microsoft is like a Katamari ball rolling around picking up everything and growing larger and larger all the time.

Does Microsoft actually create anything themselves? Seems like everything they "create" is actually something someone else created, but then they come along and buy them out and so someone else's creation becomes their creation. Didn't Bill Gates buy the Windows operating system from someone way back in the 70s or 80s for like $500 or something? I know Hotmail and Internet Explorer were two other things someone else created but then they bought out, and wasn't that true with Kinect as well? Anyway, looks like they're at it yet again with this Yammer thing which I honestly never even heard of until this article.

BTW, its kinda funny that the Yammer CEO is named Sachs and Microsoft's CEO is Steve Ballmer. What do you get when you combine them together? You get Ball Sachs.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:41:25 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Microsoft to buy Yammer for $1.2 billion
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:42:31 PM »
Um, that's kinda the way the tech sector works. People get advanced engineering degrees, borrow some money to create a start up based on some crazy idea, then they get bought out by a bigger tech company for their inventions and patents and other things. It's the circle of life.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
Um, that's kinda the way the tech sector works. People get advanced engineering degrees, borrow some money to create a start up based on some crazy idea, then they get bought out by a bigger tech company for their inventions and patents and other things. It's the circle of life.

It was a good thing Hiroshi Yamauchi turned down Bill Gates' offer to buy out Nintendo way back. It is my understanding that such an offer was made...
is your sanity...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 12:13:20 AM »
Didn't Bill Gates buy the Windows operating system from someone way back in the 70s or 80s for like $500 or something?
They bought DOS, not Windows.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 03:44:58 AM »
Google bought Android for the technology platform. Google later bought Motorola Mobility for the patents.

Besides, didn't Nintendo buy up a non-gaming company or two in the past few years?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »
I'm still upset that the Skype deal hasn't equal a Skype client for my phone...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »
I thought they can't because it's considered Telephony which would run foul of the telecoms who are granted a legal monopoly on voice or something. I mean, it's a no brainer you get a higher quality service using less bandwidth with full digital VOIP.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 02:43:47 PM »
I thought they can't because it's considered Telephony which would run foul of the telecoms who are granted a legal monopoly on voice or something. I mean, it's a no brainer you get a higher quality service using less bandwidth with full digital VOIP.
I would by that if other phones didn't already have it.

Update:  Well I'll be darned they finally put it up there.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.