Author Topic: Sony data says XBox beating GC by almost 4 million worldwide.  (Read 11686 times)

Offline Byron

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
http://biz.yahoo.com/ft/030514/1051390024252_1.html

51 million PS2
13 million XBoxes
9.4 million GCs.

I thought IGN said GC was winning by 1.5 million?

Offline AERO

• View Profile
Sony data says XBox beating GC by almost 4 million worldwide.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 12:00:32 PM »
This statement projects the xbox in a superior position to the gamecube. It is wrong. No expections. It just isn't so.

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 12:02:49 PM »

According to Sony data, there are 51m PS2 machines in homes worldwide, with Xbox sales on track to reach 13m by next month and Nintendo's GameCube lagging with 9.4m.

Okay, first, there are 51 Million PS2 in homes. That's sold and delivered.

Xbox sales on track to be 13 million by next month (we can assume end of June).

Nintendo lagging with 9.4 million. Doesn't say currently or the end of next month, but we will assume the same as XBox.

Notice the trick Sony is already pulling. Confusion.

Second, this is "Sony data". Sony doesn't know what Nintendo and Microsoft sold. Likewise with the other two. Any sales data not from a reputable third-party should be treated with skepticism.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline Vanilla Thunder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 12:05:01 PM »
Indeed it's not from a reputable third-party.  But, if I'm not mistaken, neither was Nintendo's claim, and thus IGN's, of the GCN beating out X-Box by 1.5 million.  So... who's to believe.
Craziest Nintendo Character Ever
Ludicolo, the giant, furry, Mexican duckbilled pineapple man with a lily pad sombrero!  Yet another reason to love Pokemon!

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 12:10:13 PM »
Believe that you enjoy your own games and you don't need to rag on other people with stupid trite cleshets. (sp?) Going to both sides there.

Anyway for the sake of argument I would tend to believe the order goes PS2, Xbox, GC. Simply by looking around to see whats being played, and what store set ups look like.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 12:16:08 PM »
You could just as easily say Nintendo twisted some numbers to make the Gamecube ahead of the XBox as you could say Sony twisted their numbers to make the XBox ahead of the Gamecube just to spite Nintendo. I'd tend to go with Nintendo's data since they're more one for honesty as of recent years, but you could also attribute that to me being a Nintendo fan. It's physically impossible to be, or even appear completely and utterly impartial- everyone's got a motive. Hence, I agree with Aero and think we shouldn't worry about any of this.

But fi Nintendo's right, kick ass.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
RE: Sony data says XBox beating GC by almost 4 million worldwide.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 12:23:28 PM »
I love PR Spin.

Here are the facts:
Sony shipped 51.2 million by March 2003.
Nintendo shipped 9.4 million by March 2003.
Microsoft shipped 8.1 million by Dec. 2002.

Microsoft initial projected 9 million to 12 million by the end of June 2003. I have no idea where Sony got that 13 million number. If the 13 million is Microsofts new target, then they will miss it. Microsoft should be around 9.5 million to 10 million shipped by the end of June.

Offline Biohazard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003, 12:31:20 PM »
God who cares....

Sales are sales, I think you mouseclicker would agree with me on this.
Johnathon Fauker
----------------------
PlanetGamecube's Resident Evil Freak.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2003, 12:43:19 PM »
Well, I agree with you Biohazard.  I generally avoid these types of threads because I think they are stupid and pointless.  Who really cares how many people own GameCubes?  The point is that we do own one, and most hardcore gamers own one.  We get good games, and it really doesn't matter how popular the console is in the mainstream.  Nintendo still loves us, and we still have a great console that is making a profit for Nintendo.

END OF STORY
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Biohazard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2003, 12:48:11 PM »
*high fives Grey Ninja

Great post, I think that should be the ideal mind of the gamer everywhere.  No one should care about sales sides the developers and publishers.
Johnathon Fauker
----------------------
PlanetGamecube's Resident Evil Freak.

Offline Zeth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 01:10:50 PM »
...Why Sony would purposely lie about xbox selling more than gamecube?

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2003, 01:14:05 PM »

Originally posted by: Biohazard
*high fives Grey Ninja

Great post, I think that should be the ideal mind of the gamer everywhere.  No one should care about sales sides the developers and publishers.

But that's just it, bigger userbase means more 3rd party support. I don't know about you, but I hated it when I knew that only the PS2 gets a Transformer G1 game. It's just not fair

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 01:24:42 PM »

Originally posted by: CHEN

Originally posted by: Biohazard
*high fives Grey Ninja

But that's just it, bigger userbase means more 3rd party support. I don't know about you, but I hated it when I knew that only the PS2 gets a Transformer G1 game. It's just not fair

Is there anything wrong with OUR 3rd party support?  We get an exclusive Final Fantasy, an exclusive Metal Gear, 3 exclusive Resident Evils, Killer7, pretty much every Sonic game ever made, an exclusive Phantasy Star Online, an exclusive Tales game, an exclusive Harvest Moon, and to top it all off, we get all kinds of 1st party support that other consoles simply don't get.

There's nothing wrong with our 3rd party support.  Yes it does suck that we don't get PTO4, Shinobi, Silent Hill 3, Metal Gear Solid 3, Dragon Quest VIII, or my beloved Xenosaga *sniff*, but look around you.  We get more than compensated for it.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2003, 01:24:59 PM »
Considering money isn't made on Console sales but rather game sales, I'd like to see some "total games sold" figures, and whether they're 1st or 3rd party games, instead of just "installed userbase" figures.

Who cares if MS gets ahead if every gamecube owner has 3 times as many games as an Xbox owner?  

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2003, 01:31:56 PM »

Originally posted by: Zeth
...Why Sony would purposely lie about xbox selling more than gamecube?

Because Sony is infact, a company that produces donkeys. And Microsoft in all reality, need these donkeys as their staff. People don't dare test Windows or Office. OH NO! It's the donkeys.

And they like, mutate after a while, all the illegal operations cause their intestines to take a life of their own and transport them to garbage bin with guns.
Then they go on a rampage, and people are all like "AW NO A DONKEY WITH GUNS!"

And it runs into people and hurts their bum bums. So then, people fight back by buying McDonkey Burger with cheese from McDonalds, and they go "MMMM NUM NUM NUM" and it's really dry, but they don't care. They just buy a super mega hulk sized Coke.

Then they have to piss, and Nintendo are like, "Here's a toilet" and Microsoft go "NO! THAT'S OUR iLoo!"
So the consumer gets freaked out buy this and lets it rip. Then Sony comes in at the wrong time and gets pissed on, and they scream and go "YOU GOT URINE IN MY EYE SOCKET!"

So they throw unsold copies of Crash Bandicoot 56: Wrath of sequels at them and they totally die.

Holy moly crap bucket 3000, it's terrible.
So then Microsoft and Sony team up to take down Nintendo. They set up traps on the road and Nintendo's like, "MEEP MEEP" and they avoid the Acme traps.

So MS and Sony get annoyed. Annoyed, and tired. So they like to take a nap, and have potty breaks.

So yeah, that's why they lie.

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2003, 01:32:02 PM »

Originally posted by: Mingesium
I love PR Spin.

Here are the facts:
Sony shipped 51.2 million by March 2003.
Nintendo shipped 9.4 million by March 2003.
Microsoft shipped 8.1 million by Dec. 2002.

Microsoft initial projected 9 million to 12 million by the end of June 2003. I have no idea where Sony got that 13 million number. If the 13 million is Microsofts new target, then they will miss it. Microsoft should be around 9.5 million to 10 million shipped by the end of June.

Interesting, well we know that the X-box has sold just over 530,000 units in the US this year according to TRSTS numbers but I wouldn't know what they sold in Europe and Japan. In Japan the X-box as of the end of March has barely sold 50,000 units if we go by Dengeki numbers. So the only way the X-box has hit the 13 million sold that Sony is claiming is if they have sold 4.3 million units in Europe since the end of last year. That is highly unlikely. The reason for the difference is simple Sony is full of it as usual. Sony doesn't even give the number of systems they've sold they always use the number of systems shipped. I can tell you for fact that at least 10 million of the 51.2 million Sony has shipped is still on the shelves.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline highenergyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2003, 02:11:16 PM »
Remember people these numbers are coming from the same company that gave out those overblown specs claiming the PS2 could pull off 75 million polygons. That fact alone automatically causes me to disregard just about anything they say as rubbish.

Offline K_Icyfire

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2003, 02:39:27 PM »
Gamecube and Xbox should be between 11-12 million each.  Id bet that gamecube is slightly ahead though.  

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2003, 03:25:24 PM »
I find it ironic that we care about sales figure more than Nintendo itself.

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2003, 04:10:26 PM »
I'm with mouseclicker and biohazard on this--unless Nintendo was in dire straits like Sega, why do we need to worry? How in the hell do sales number increase the joy that you get out of your system? Bragging rights? I think some gamers are getting more fun out of this generation's console war than they are from this generation's games.

Offline JoeFalco

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2003, 04:14:23 PM »
Who cares about sales?!  My goodness, this kind of news is only used by the pathetic dweebs who try to 1up one another constantly about which system they have is the best.  Just like all the others before me have already stated, it's Sony doing what any other respectable company would do: boast about its "superiority" over its competition.
The sun never sets...on those who ride into it.  We just gotta keep going!

Offline jarob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2003, 04:14:49 PM »
When people say they don't care how many GameCubes have been sold it really bugs me.  It better care or there will be no more Nintendo folks.  Nintendo has already announced much lower profits than was expected.  They need a big user base out there so they can sell games (were the profits are).  More GameCubes sold = more games sold = more profits.   Unless when people say this, they don't care if Nintendo makes hardware, but will be happy to buy N games for other machines? I much prefer Nintendo make hardware that having to buy several systems (like Sega).

People, Nintendo needs a large numnber of GameCubes out there.  Yes, you should care.

Offline JoeFalco

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2003, 04:19:49 PM »

Originally posted by: jarob
When people say they don't care how many GameCubes have been sold it really bugs me.  It better care or there will be no more Nintendo folks.  Nintendo has already announced much lower profits than was expected.  They need a big user base out there so they can sell games (were the profits are).  More GameCubes sold = more games sold = more profits.   Unless when people say this, they don't care if Nintendo makes hardware, but will be happy to buy N games for other machines? I much prefer Nintendo make hardware that having to buy several systems (like Sega).

People, Nintendo needs a large numnber of GameCubes out there.  Yes, you should care.

No I should not.  Yes, Nintendo needs to get more of its products out and sold.  What am I going to do?  Run out there madly and buy lots and lots of Nintendo products that I really don't need?  (I'm sorry but I'm a more selective gamer than most)  And sorry Jarob, I don't care to keep up with petty statistics like sales figures.  I prefer to enjoy my Nintendo games...
The sun never sets...on those who ride into it.  We just gotta keep going!

Offline Nintega

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2003, 04:29:18 PM »
Jarob, as long as Nintendo is making profits on it's hardware and software is all that matters.  So I'm not worried.  All I'm worried about is what games to buy this year and how to pay for them all.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2003, 06:32:39 PM »
Ironic, just in the other thread I was called all kinds of mean names then someone turns around and uses my numbers to his/her point.  Where's my justice?

Yeah, 13 million is 3 million to high unless it's shipped not sold.  But I don't really think sony was trying to confuse anyone, think they just took 13 million as the "maxium" number for xboxes since MS themselves didn't release that number.

And yeah, Nintendo's 3rd party sales is greatly lower than the xbox's even though it's sale base is the same.  It really doesn't look like that's going change anytime soon, GC owners buy Nintendo games (go figure :0 ).

-----------------------------------------------------

The PS2 is the mightly king and I don't think anybody at MS or Nintendo will disagree and right now it's all about "runner-up" and saving face.