Author Topic: Steam forums hacked and more!  (Read 3131 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Steam forums hacked and more!
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:08:47 PM »
Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they log in. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

The Steam forums has been down until now without word. Steam forums are still currently locked out with the above message. Steam Itself remains fully functional and for now to their best knowledge, untouched.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Steam Database & Forum was Hacked!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:19:38 PM »
So change your passwords and monitor your CC info just incase.
Better to be safe than sorry.

edit: Looks like I was beaten to the topic.
Always so slow on the submit button.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:02:07 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Steam forums hacked and more!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 12:06:42 AM »
I don't understand the Steam database part...does that mean if you have a Steam account you should change your password, or does it mean that if you are a forum member and have a Steam account then you should change it because the forums were hacked. I have an account but not on the forums...hope no one steals my free copy of Portal 2.

BTW, don't they realize that the proper thing to do is to wait a month before saying anything, take the service offline for a couple months, accept no responsibility, make everyone download a new system update and change their passwords, include a rootkit in that update that logs every single thing you do, lists everything on any removable storage device and sends the info back to themselves, create a new division specifically for the network, hire someone from the US government to take "control" of said network, then make everyone download yet another system update with a clause that makes the customers ineligible to take part in any class action lawsuits hidden in the gigantic EULA? I don't get this whole "apology" thing. They've obviously learned nothing from SONY's example of customer service.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:15:51 AM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 04:46:16 AM »
Do I smell "free" games coming--that'll make my X-mas. :)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 10:36:45 AM »
I'm hoping for a free copy of Portal 2 to everyone

or a free copy of DotA2

but they will probably just give out Ep3 that everyone has been waiting for forever instead.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 11:46:54 AM »
*shrug*
It sounds like they properly protected there data which makes this pretty much a non-issue.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 01:24:46 PM »
or a free copy of DotA2

Isn't that free anyway?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 01:28:52 PM »
I don't think it is, though I can't seem to find confirmation one way or another. Considering that it will be released on a physical disc too (in addition to digital), I doubt it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 02:56:08 PM »
or a free copy of DotA2

Isn't that free anyway?

I had thought so. Much in the same vein as they did with Alien Swarm.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 04:55:33 PM »
or a free copy of DotA2

Isn't that free anyway?

Well it's not out yet, so it's not anything yet, but the Beta key just went up on Steam Gifts for 50pts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »
Forums are now back with a new password prompt.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?