Author Topic: FF:CC needs more than one GBA?  (Read 27471 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
FF:CC needs more than one GBA?
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2003, 08:55:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Sean
Oh, and Grey, I can't get past your avatar...it's just not you!  Maybe it'll grow on me....hahaha.  I expect everyone's avatars to be approved by me of course...haha.  I've been away from these boards for too long!  I'M HOME DADDY!  Or...nevermind.  Anyway, nice to see familiar faces still, haha.

Don't really have much to say about most of your post, but this one here strikes me a little funny.    The avatar I am using is one of the oldest ones I have.  People from well over a year ago will know me by this avatar, and a variant of my name, ranging anywhere from Dark Ninja to Grey Fox.    Being that it is my oldest avatar, I will usually use it at first when I visit a forum, but I do change it often.  Don't worry about that.    I change it as my interests change, or something catches my eye that would make a fine avatar.

I was thinking of changing it to the good old Grey Fox image lately... but Ninja-X beat me to that one.    I was thinking of good old Solid Snake though too, and I just might do that one of these days...  (maybe now)
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2003, 09:02:31 PM »
This is an example of me being a moron, probably.  I believe I had most of the extra graphics turned off most of the time I was at PGCF after the latest restart.  I sort of came back by today and I have no recollection of the avatars.  Anyway, ignore my ridiculous comments.  It's very, very late, and I'm delirious...and going to bed.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2003, 09:05:17 PM »
Fair enough.  Is this one better anyway?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: FF:CC needs more than one GBA?
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2003, 09:29:39 PM »
Hm, just a thought: Imagine individual goals, each character gets its own mission which might conflict with that of other characters (e.g.: 1: Bring the object foo to the shrine bar. 2: Prevent 1 from reaching the shrine alive, deliver the object to the evil lord.)... Dont thrust your "friend"... Paranoia Coop!

As for customizable cut scenes: If it's true that the players can choose their character among many (as the preview suggests) it's impossible to use FMVs that involve the characters. An intro and outro cutscene could be in nonetheless.

I'd like some sort of "light" multiplayer, which might lack a few features but gives you a taste whether or not you like it enough to justify buying GBAs...

Offline reivned

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2003, 05:45:45 AM »
I'm sure the lucky few (or rich, or spoiled) who'll get to play coop with 4 GBAs will have a blast ...

But to me this game only looks like another attempt to force a GBA down my throat.

Again nothing against the GBA. It sure is a nice handheld system, but I bought a home console and even though I could afford a GBA I won't invest more money into gaming. It is expensive enough as it is.

Offline SmellySocks

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2003, 06:42:59 AM »
About the customizable FMV...there is a possibility that you could do that without having to have multiple movies for it.  Does anyone remember the scenes in FF8 where you would have the FMV going in the background while you were able to move your character in the foreground.  I don't see why they couldn't mix in FMV cinimas with polygonal characters (in-game engine characters).  The FMV would just have placeholder spaces or something to put the character in.  I'm sure developers could come up with some weird way to make it not look like crap.  Just an idea.
What's that smell?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2003, 08:19:11 AM »
The characters looked totally misplaced in those sequences in FF8. And what's the point of an FMV if all the characters are still blocky as hell? Okay, it's the GC, they won't be blocky, but the lighting and everything will be different. Either full-realtime or full-rendered, not mix-and-match. BTW, those cutscenes eat space that could be used for more game.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2003, 08:25:07 AM »
When are people like reivned going to learn that you PERSONALLY don't need to own multiple GBA's. You only need to have ONE and each of your friends need ONE. What's so expensive about that? There are far more GBA owners out there than Gamecube owners- FIND ONE. If you don't already own a GBA yourself, you can scarcely call yourself a Nintendo fan and I wonder why you're even reading this post now because you should be at the store buying one. They're only like $60 retail- most of you drop down $50 on a game without a second thought. If that's too much for you, search EBay- you can find some really cheap, good-as-new GBA's probably with some games included. You're just being lazy.

Sean: It's not that I hate real-time cut-scenes, especially if the game has good graphics on it's own (like FFX), but I see no reason to get all excited because a game will have absolutely no FMV or CG cut-scenes. It just doesn't make sense- I'd rather see the true artistic vision in super high quality than having to stare at a blocky, jaggy, blurry textured excuse for a character model just so the game can be "consistent". I'm not saying the entire game should be done in FMV, but what's to get excited about there being NO FMV?

And for most of your information, Wind Waker DID have some pre-rendered cut-scenes. They were done in real-time, but they lacked the oh so precious customization you guys crave so much.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2003, 09:07:26 AM »
Mouse, I don't recall any CGI FMV in Wind Waker.  If it's "real time" it's not "pre-rendered."  Hello?  This is very, very widely misunderstood, and you seem to have fallen into a similar trap.  

I'm not being a smart-aleck--I'm just saying that you have cut-scenes, which are those things that progress the story and are non-playable (generally).  BUT, not all cut-scenes are FMV.  Not all cut-scenes are "real-time."  To my knowledge, all the cut-scenes in Zelda are "real-time" and thus not FMV or "pre-rendered" or CGI.  This suits the game to a tee because you are never taken out of that world.  It's called artistic continuity.  Artistically, Nintendo obviously thought it was better to use their spectacular in-game engine EXCLUSIVELY to provide both gameplay AND storyline exposition.  I haven't finished Wind Waker yet, so unless it's at the VERY END, then it doesn't have CGI or pre-rendered or FMV cut-scenes: only real-time, engine-run cut-scenes.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Reivned is aware enough of things to know that you don't need 4 GBA's PERSONALLY.  He very clearly says that buying ONE GBA for himself alone is out of the question for him personally, and he probably doesn't know 4 other people with GBA's.  Give him a break.  Be reasonable.

Offline Zeth

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2003, 09:14:46 AM »

The characters looked totally misplaced in those sequences in FF8. And what's the point of an FMV if all the characters are still blocky as hell? Okay, it's the GC, they won't be blocky, but the lighting and everything will be different. Either full-realtime or full-rendered, not mix-and-match. BTW, those cutscenes eat space that could be used for more game.

Uh, no. GC discs are huge and you can use multiple ones if you want. So I don't see the FMV = less game argument. Maybe FMV = less real time cutscenes, but that's about it.

And Xenosaga has both realtime cutscenes and a bit of fmv, and it blends them together very well. GC is more powerful than the PS2 so I'm sure it could do that as well.

And for most of your information, Wind Waker DID have some pre-rendered cut-scenes. They were done in real-time, but they lacked the oh so precious customization you guys crave so much

yes.

And last... what the heck.. How is FMV Ok in Resident Evil but not OK in Final Fantasy? That's just stupid. Yes, there's less FMV in Resident Evil, but Resident Evil games are also shorter.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2003, 09:21:48 AM »
Zeth writes:

"yes.
And last... what the heck.. How is FMV Ok in Resident Evil but not OK in Final Fantasy? That's just stupid."

Yes?  Yes to what??

Anyway, I don't know how said FMV was okay in RE and not in FF, but that's not at all what I'm at least talking about.  I've even said that I love the FMV in FF, however, I do think that there's too much emphasis on it as the series progresses.  It's still breathtaking.  And in RE, the FMV doesn't clash with the in-game graphics at ALL, so that's a terrific choice, especially in the GameCube version of the remake.

What I object to is people being disappointed because there ISN'T any FMV.  To me, that's unfair, because in Wind Waker, for instance, it works so beautiful artistically.  Surely you can see that if you try.  It's NICE TO HAVE DIFFERENT VISIONS in different games.  That's what it's all about.  Embrace variety, and at least try to see what developers are trying to do before you start calling them cheap for not using what's popular or more accessible, which many have said about Nintendo.  Anyway, that's beside the point.

Offline Zeth

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2003, 09:43:05 AM »
.. I wasn't replying to you! but uh, yeah.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2003, 11:01:56 AM »
"Mouse, I don't recall any CGI FMV in Wind Waker. If it's "real time" it's not "pre-rendered." Hello? This is very, very widely misunderstood, and you seem to have fallen into a similar trap. "

No no no- you've got it all wrong. FMV in general refers to cut-scenes that are not rendered by the game at that moment- in other words, graphic artists animated every single frame rather than the programmers telling the game how to put together the scene. FMV is usually CGI, meaning not rendered by the console itself, but that's not always true. Cut-scenes in a game can be animated by graphical artists WITH real-time graphics. You obviously don't understand the terms real-time and pre-rendered. So basically, real-time is the console's own graphical power while pre-rendered means just that- rendered before you play the game and is a video the game just calls up at the right time. Wind Waker did have several real-time pre-rendered cut-scenes.

Also, customizable FMV IS possible, it would just take an insane amount of space. Let's use OoT as an example- in the game, Adult Link can have 3 different kinds of boots, 3 different color tunics, 2 different kinds of swords, and 2 different kinds of shields. That makes 36 possible combinations and 36 different depictions of Link (3 x 3 x 2 x 2 = 36). Theoretically the developer could make 36 different FMV cut-scenes, one for each combination. It would be extremely impractical, though, and would take up an inordinate amount of space just for one scene. It IS possible, though.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2003, 03:41:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Zeth

And last... what the heck.. How is FMV Ok in Resident Evil but not OK in Final Fantasy? That's just stupid. Yes, there's less FMV in Resident Evil, but Resident Evil games are also shorter.

I've already gone over this a few times, but once more.

I have no problem with FMV if it doesn't look out of place.  The FMV in Resident Evil mixed very well with the in game graphics, and I had no problems with dealing with it.

The FMV in games such as Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 ALL looked WAY out of place, and served mainly to irritate me.  It's become a common thing for Square to put far too much effort into their FMV, and not enough into their gameplay.  The last Square game I played and liked was Vagrant Story.  No FMV.  Good game.

Offline SmellySocks

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2003, 04:27:40 PM »
What's the name of this thread???  FMV/CGI vs. Real-Time???

Wait...it is "FF:CC needs more than one GBA?"  We all are way off-topic here.

Want to move that discussion to another topic?

What's that smell?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2003, 04:30:47 PM »
Wait, I thought it was the "How about SmellySocks shuts the hell up" thread. Only kidding, of course.

Offline SmellySocks

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2003, 04:51:25 PM »
LoL  
What's that smell?

Offline Zeth

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2003, 05:02:16 PM »

I have no problem with FMV if it doesn't look out of place. The FMV in Resident Evil mixed very well with the in game graphics, and I had no problems with dealing with it.

The FMV in games such as Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 ALL looked WAY out of place, and served mainly to irritate me. It's become a common thing for Square to put far too much effort into their FMV, and not enough into their gameplay. The last Square game I played and liked was Vagrant Story. No FMV. Good game.

How did the FMV look out of place in FF7, 8 or 9? Yes, it looked a lot better than the Playstation's graphics but out of place? No.

Yes, games without FMV are great. Skies of Arcadia has no FMV and it's one of the best games ever. But it seems like you're hating the games and blaming it on the FMV.

AND I THINK THEY SHOULD TAKE OUT THE OPENING TO SMASH BROS. MELEE  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2003, 05:09:31 PM »
*bangs head against wall*

Forget it... I don't think I am explaining myself correctly, and I don't know how else to say it.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2003, 07:28:49 PM »
WHO CARES IF ITS AN FMV or REALTIME CUTSCENE, IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE, AS LONG AS THE STORY GETS TOLD!
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2003, 07:57:30 PM »
I just read on GameSpy the single-player quest doesn't have any AI buddy characters, that means you're solo (single, depressed, alone and yearning for a meaningful relationship for all eternity), and there is no "party" a la Secret of Mana.

interview article

If this reality holds, I'm not buying this game.  I'll settle with a GC-GB Player with Sword of Mana instead.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2003, 08:52:51 PM »
Grey Ninja, you're not alone in feeling like you're bashing your head here.  This is ridiculous.  

You have TWO TYPES OF CUT-SCENES:

(A cut scene is an edit, or jump or "cut to," hence the name, an EXPOSITORY SECTION--a non-playable time wherein the story is furthered.)

1. FMV=Full Motion Video.

2. Real-Time Cinema=Game Engine rendered graphics, non-video.

Final Fantasy X has FMV cut-scenes, very often.

Zelda The Wind Waker DOES NOT HAVE FMV--IT DOES NOT CONTAIN FULL MOTION VIDEO EVER EVER EVER.

It does, however, contain cut-scenes created not by FMV, but REAL-TIME (BY DEFINITION, REAL TIME MEANS "NOT PRERENDERED"!) CINEMATIC GRAPHICS using the game's graphics engine.

Now, whichever way you prefer (FMV or Real-time), well, that's completely up to you.  It works sometimes either way, and sometimes it doesn't work, period.  

I'm freaking done here.  This is so, so, so stupid.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2003, 09:01:39 PM »
Mouse: You just defined that pre-rendered is the opposite of realtime and FMV can mean either, then you say "pre-rendered realtime cutscene"...

Still, unless there is some secret information you really want to hide from your friends, there's no need for the GBA being required. A properly designed menu can work without distracting other players and without pausing the game. So, yes, if there are no secret infos this is probably a marketing stunt. Bah, don't want to imagine what MS would do once they develop a handheld that can be connected to the XB...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2003, 11:58:19 PM »

Zelda The Wind Waker DOES NOT HAVE FMV--IT DOES NOT CONTAIN FULL MOTION VIDEO EVER EVER EVER.

The Wind Waker does contain Full Motion Video.  The final bulk of the ending, including the credits and what's after, was pre-recorded and can be identified thanks to the artifacting situated along object/character edges, all due to Nintendo's subpar "Easy-bake video" codec (those fools in Japan have yet to realize the power of DivX -- I'm proud of Factor5, and they'll do us justice).

And there's no such thing as "real-time pre-rendered".

I'll also reiterate that apparently the single-player quest for FFCC plays with only one character, and no A.I. characters to join you -- THIS SUCKS ZEPHOS.  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2003, 01:01:33 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Like I said, nobody really cares that their character in the cut-scene doesn't look exactly how they "customized" him.

Been away for a few days...but what you mean is YOU don't care.  You certainly can't tell us that we don't care.  And while something like the Power Rings isn't likely to be noticed, changing a sword or shield is going to be noticeably inconsistent, especially with the level of detail in graphics that we have now.  

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers