Author Topic: Boards version 4 suggestions  (Read 4896 times)

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Boards version 4 suggestions
« on: May 02, 2003, 04:29:49 AM »
I made a topic that all suggestions for this new version so it doesn't clutter the board. I love the new boards even in its, hopefully early form. But I did notice that the bars on each message were a little harsh maybe you could try to chamfer them again and give them a lower profile.

Oh and I'm happy that I can finally edit the messages in the Talk Back Forum. Keep up the good work.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 04:31:30 AM »
The "bars on each message"?  Could you explain?  I've been up since 4AM working on this, and I'm a little tired.  

I do have some tweaking yet to do, plus I have some features left to turn on.  Features you'll like.  Features you want.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 04:33:25 AM »
The one with the reply, edit, quote. They use to be chamfer (the corner cut off on one side.) It's a little petty but it does look alot cleaner.

Yeah you have to be tired your using a similey face after each line.....

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 04:37:19 AM »
Actually, that can't be changed back.  Originally, those Icons actually had the bar behind them, all as part of the graphic.  Now, it's actually just a little table, and while I suppose I could adjust the cells and add a small graphic that would give it back that angular look, it's not on my list of priorities just yet.  Maybe once we see how things are going.

Offline DevilishDude

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Boards version 4 suggestions
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 09:21:27 AM »
could you guys add something that lets you customize the size of the avatars, or something that makes them all the same size by default?  
:: My name Smeedle
:: Tingle, Tingle... Koolah Limpah! These are the magic words Tingle created himself. Don't steal them!

:: Homestar Runner Quote Of The Week:
:: Ow! My Stomach Lining

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 09:41:42 AM »
We certainly wouldn't be able to implement anything that would customize graphics, and I think that if we could constrain the size, we would have, but we'll see what Rick says.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 09:43:37 AM »
I could do that, but I'd rather give people the option to use SMALLER graphics and not have them become distorted ... and forcing the size to 64x64 wouldn't do that.  Plus, if it's larger than 64x64, in many cases it will be too large in file size as well.  There are plenty of icons around the web that are at least 32x32.  Any AIM icon is 64x64 as well, and those work great.

That said, your avatar is too big, DevilishDude.  Please choose another.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2003, 11:30:41 AM »
It's all really great and all, but I have one question- why does the 1 minute time limit apply to edits? I understand and agree with it applying to actual posts, but it's going to be a pain if I have to wait one minute just so I can fix some spelling or add something.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 03:53:18 PM »
Oooh....  I am going to have to check this out when I get the chance.  I am excited.  

Too bad I just lost my internet access and my web hosting....  *sob*
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Sir Kero

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2003, 04:39:20 PM »
I think I broke it...
I couldn't edit my profile for awhile but it's working again. (I may even have a pic. wahoo)

It does seem odd that we'd have to take at least a minute to edit posts... not too inconvenient though. a minute can go by pretty fast, and I'm usually doing other things anyway.

P.S. I do have a pic, it's perfect. Thanks Rick!  

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2003, 04:42:08 PM »
Unfortunately, the one minute limit gets applied any time you are trying to post or edit.  I'll see if I can find a workaround for it, though.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2003, 04:54:37 PM »
I was just wondering....how come it says "size unavailable" when I look at the properties for Rick's dog avatar? You wouldn't be breaking the rules now would you

Oh, is there a possibility of a set of the forums own avatars to choose from like other sites have? Like little GCN icons or Mario heads or something....

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2003, 05:05:28 PM »
We're only going to host avatars for the staff and for other "special" people.  It would draw too much bandwidth otherwise.  But maybe, if someone had a web host we could put some of these on.  Someone named, "Ty", maybe ...

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2003, 08:26:32 PM »
I sould have a web site soon again. I will be willing to host some avatars for as long as my bandwidth isn't totally taken up by it.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2003, 12:51:36 PM »
Thanks, Rick- I had guessed as much, but I just wanted to be sure.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2003, 02:34:19 PM »
I used to be a news dude as well as host a site at Total Annihilation Universe (tauniverse.com) and was given unlimited bandwidth and space on the site....but I don't work there anymore. Sorry I could host it on my server at home but my dad doesn't believe in keeping computers on all the time. I leave my computer on all the time but my dad turns off all the other computers including the 80 Gb server to "save power"....  

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2003, 08:11:34 AM »
heh.. TAuniverse.
amazing site for an amazing game....

anyway, I remember back when the forums had no censorship except for on the VERY extreme words, but then because of EZboard, it kept getting worse and worse.

I have a problem with the "censor blocker" in these forums, I'm not sure if version 4 changed it, but, previously, in order to change a single word, it went and deleted the entire post.

any chance you could change it so that it replaces every dirty word with a **** type of censor? it makes things much easier in general... and also doesn't delete an entire post becuase i forgot that if i slipped and said something bad (which happens often, i rarely watch my language) because sometimes i might slip one word in a VERY long post.

Or, maybe you could just remove the censoring on a whole, i find it funny that B**** is blocked, even though its in the title.

O_o

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2003, 08:25:43 AM »
Bitch isn't on the list.  But no, the censored words are not going away, so people just need to learn not to use them.  There's very little need for them anyway.  I might also point out that altering your cursewords to get around the filter is a banworthy offense, so I wouldn't let that become a habit if I were you.  Or RABicle.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2003, 01:24:30 PM »
I just noticed the "f word" isn't on the list. I'd think that would be at the very top....*shrug*
Hey, why does Billy get to break the avatar rule! no fair....

Offline BoB007

• Secret undercover Bob or something
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2003, 05:45:34 PM »

Originally posted by: Gamefreak
I was just wondering....how come it says "size unavailable" when I look at the properties for Rick's dog avatar? You wouldn't be breaking the rules now would you

Well, if you look, it actually says " size unavailable " for everyones avator. Someone correct me if i wrong because i have yet to see an avator on this forum that gave the size in its properties.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2003, 06:02:06 PM »
Actually, that's a bug in IE's caching.  If you clear your cache, close your browser, and open it up again, it should work.  Having your cache full is what causes that problem.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2003, 06:15:11 PM »
Yeah, I can see the size on everyone's, except for Rick's of course

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2003, 12:30:10 PM »
Yeah, I has to be a bug in IE. I can see all of the sizes fine using Mozilla.