Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 127965 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 02:32:16 PM »
You've never wanted to surf the net to look something up while you're still on the phone?
or maybe make a phone call while using the internet?
or send a quick text message while using your GPS and not have to exit out and then recalculate your route when you come back in?
or look for the name of a song in your mp3 folder while in the middle of a text message with out having to save to draft or just exit and re-type?

Might not be something you use all day everyday, but it would be nice to have when it is needed.

-----------------------

Now I need to know which of 2 phones is better.

Sony Ericson Xperia X3 vs Motorola Droid

I keep hearing bad things about SE phones and the fact that they are usually expensive, but the X3 has a 8.1MP camera, 4" touch screen and the UI looks so sexy.

on the other hand, I've never owned a Motorola, but I remember the massive amount of broken Razr and Razr related phones that used to be returned all the time when my friends used to work at cell phone stores. But the Droid also looks like a hot phone and it's being launched as Verizons premier Android phone, so they must be proud of this one.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 02:54:30 PM »
Actually, on the iPhone you can use the phone in the background so I could browse the web while talking, and it auomatically saves a draft if you leave the Messages app after typing something without sending. I'm not sure, but I don't think I'd have to recalulate the GPS route; I think it saves it and it would show up when I reenter the app.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be handy sometimes, just that I can't think of many uses for it and don't really need it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 02:56:37 PM by insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 03:54:44 PM »
I'm giving lame examples because I haven't had a phone that allows me to multitask, so I don't have any real world mutitasking on the phone experience to draw examples from.

But either way, I want the option, even if I don't use it very often.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 04:35:14 PM »
How about just having two web pages open at a time?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 04:40:11 PM »
The iPhone let's you have 8 open at a time.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »
iPhone on a technical level may be pretty good, but it still has one glaring problem
Who their working with & who their not.
and I don't see it getting fixed anytime soon.

These new android phones are the solution to the problem as they can do everything the iPhone can do and more. Android phones may not be new, but with Verizon pushing the narrative it could be seen as the the "new" gadget to own.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 09:02:36 PM »
Yeah, I think everyone's in agreement that it sucks that Verizon passed on the iPhone, and if I were going to buy something that weren't an iPhone it would definitely be an Android phone, but you have to realize how unlikely it catching on to the extent you're hoping for is. Remember how much hype the Palm Pre was getting and look where it is now.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 09:18:50 PM »
Did you see the commercials for the Palm Pre..... I think thats explains whatever happened to the Pre hype.
that girl was creepy.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 09:26:10 PM »
I wish she'd go away.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I kept thinking she was part of the advertisement for that movie Surrogates or something.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 11:04:42 PM »
I mutlitask on my phone *all the time*. I constantly have Google Maps running, Kinoma Play or S2P (iPod touch-style MP3 player) running while surfing the web or sending texts, and while downloading stuff in the background. Verizon is also getting the Palm Pre next year. Multitasking is *not* overrated, the iPhone is, no question about it. It's not an opinion - the phone literally is overrated, especially the 3G-aspect, since AT&T's 3G service sucks.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 03:40:07 AM »
Actually, on the iPhone you can use the phone in the background so I could browse the web while talking, and it auomatically saves a draft if you leave the Messages app after typing something without sending. I'm not sure, but I don't think I'd have to recalulate the GPS route; I think it saves it and it would show up when I reenter the app.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be handy sometimes, just that I can't think of many uses for it and don't really need it.

I just did a little looking around, and I have to ask, is your iPhone Jailbroken?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 04:04:45 AM »
Just have to say that I've been sold. This will be my new phone, unless something significantly better comes out in the next few months.

Verizon's Motorola Droid by Google

*non-final keyboard

Quote from: BGR
We absolutely nailed this puppy to the wall over and over and over again, so it’s only fitting we’d be doing the first actual unveiling, right? We’re not going to get too in-depth though, that will come at a later time. Here are some brief thoughts before the photos:

* It’s running Android 2.0. Duh.
    * It’s thin. Just slightly thicker than an iPhone 3GS and the thinnest QWERTY-slider we’ve ever seen.
    * It is the fastest Android device we’ve ever used. (It’s running a TI OMAP3430 processor)
    * The feel of the device is very reminiscent of the OQO 02 model computer. Just smaller. It’s metal with a non-spring-assisted slide, very sturdy, and half soft-touch plastic.
    * Awesome capacitive display. Plus it’s huge. Easily the best screen we’ve ever seen on an Android handset, and an amazing screen overall.
    * The QWERTY keyboard is actually pretty usable and has a soft-touch rubberized finish. We’ve been told the keyboard design isn’t final on this unit, thus the two no-shows.
    * Have we mentioned this phone flies? It’s the Android device to beat, and easily the most impressive. From what we’ve been told, Google had a direct hand in the Motorola Droid. Something to the point of almost dictating every move Motorola made when designing and making the phone. Interesting, huh?
    * There’s a desktop cradle/charger that will ship with the Motorola Droid that we’ve been playing around with. It turns your Droid into a “multimedia station” and displays local weather, the time, etc.
    * No one wants to listen, but it makes the CLIQ looks like a child’s toy (partly because it is, and partly because the Droid, even in its non-final form, is the most impressive phone we’ve used since the iPhone. It’s positively amazing).

Ok, enough of that — enjoy the photos! We’ll put together a nice little review soon.

And for the tech saavy around here, check out the specs on the processor that is being used in this thing.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 04:07:05 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 09:39:36 AM »
Verizon asks 'if the iDoesn't, what does?'

The "there's a map for that" ad was a pretty aggressive way to broadside AT&T and the iPhone, but it looks like Verizon's just getting warmed up. We're hearing that the carrier will be kicking off a major new campaign this evening during the Yankees-Angels game that'll feature "a very different look and a whole new attitude," calling out the "iDevice" (their words, not ours) for all the things it can't do. That's a bold offensive for a carrier that historically has lacked breadth and depth in its smartphone lineup, but with the big new Android releases coming down the pike, this might be perfect timing -- and a strong implication that we can seriously put those endless Verizon iPhone rumors to bed for a little while.

These Android phones better be the **** and Verizon better not be crippling them in any way.

I've started noticing these ads on tv as of last night and i thought they were pretty cut-throat, especially when the atmosphere changes from playful pestering (happy go lucky music playing while the "iDon't ___" slogans run) to "no seriously, **** the iphone" with the cool looking "DROID DOES" logo.

Makes me happy to be part of the Android community over the iphone community. I'm also happy that android phones can appear on different networks so that a lot more people can experience it, unlike the iphone where you had to switch your provider (assuming you weren't with ATT) to get one. I've only had experience with the G1 and MyTouch but the Android OS is the same on both and its fucking awesome.

Oh and multitasking isn't over-rated, but using it over the iphone probably is. I don't do it too often, but it is nice to be able to send a text while streaming music off pandora (or similar apps.. or just my micro-sd card) and switch back to browsing these very forums and maybe downloading a new app or two, all at the same time. Easy access to your last 6 used applications is just a button away, without having to back out of anything.

Know what the nicest thing of all is though? Androids constantly working on their OS to improve it, even if its something minor as adding video recording to the camera you already had, or the ability to copy/paste selected text (previously you could copy/past a tex message but not anything from the browser) without.. you know, introducing a whole new phone model with it. ;)

Speaking of updates, their latest firmware update, dubbed "Donut" supposedly unlocks multi-touch in the phone somehow, but:

A. i've yet to see anything use it
B. i'm only going by information posted on blogs/messageboards and haven't bothered going straight to the source to see what exactly came with the update.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 02:25:57 PM »
I mutlitask on my phone *all the time*. I constantly have Google Maps running, Kinoma Play or S2P (iPod touch-style MP3 player) running while surfing the web or sending texts, and while downloading stuff in the background. Verizon is also getting the Palm Pre next year. Multitasking is *not* overrated, the iPhone is, no question about it. It's not an opinion - the phone literally is overrated, especially the 3G-aspect, since AT&T's 3G service sucks.

Why do you need Google Maps running in the background as opposed to just opening it when you need it? I can listen to MP3s in the background, I can download things in the background. A bunch of stuff actually runs in the background on the iPhone, just not third-party apps, and nobody has given me a second reason to care that I can't do that. I don't know why I'm bothering to respond, though; if you honestly believe that it's not an opinion when you say the iPhone is overrated you're hopeless.

I just did a little looking around, and I have to ask, is your iPhone Jailbroken?

No, I never bothered to try that; it never seemed like it would be worth the trouble. That would let me run things in the background, though.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »
Google Maps = GPS. I leave it open (not always), so I don't have to...open it when I need it, it also keeps the GPS lock on. I can just slide my thumb from the bottom of my screen (Samsung Omnia with Windows Mobile 6.5) to the middle which shows the task manager so I can switch between any open programs. Sometimes I also keep the calculator open in class, as well as the file explorer, etc.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 02:56:40 PM »
I'm not trying to **** over the iPhone - it is a great product after all, and what it *does*, it does well. I'm just saying, it simply is overrated, as is the Wii, as is Metal Gear Solid 4, as are many other things

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 03:54:55 PM »
Keeping the GPS lock on you makes sense, if I used Google Maps much it would be handy. It just seems to me like most things don't actually need to be actively running in the background. It may be a bit faster than just switching between them but it's gotta hurt battery life. And given the numerous times that you've said the iPhone sucks on this forum I think I can be forgiven for assuming you were trying to **** all over it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 04:23:46 PM »
I need to take a ****.

Does the iphone have an app for that? :P
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 05:48:44 PM »
Sadly, there probably is.

J.P. Corbran

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2009, 12:44:47 AM »
I may talk down upon it, but have I ever said it sucks? I'm not saying I didn't, I probably did, I just don't remember saying it. I'm a big fan of non-HDD iPods, so considering it a music player that is also a phone, it's pretty great.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2009, 09:46:02 AM »
I may talk down upon it, but have I ever said it sucks? I'm not saying I didn't, I probably did, I just don't remember saying it. I'm a big fan of non-HDD iPods, so considering it a music player that is also a phone, it's pretty great.

I was trying to derail the thread of this useless argument.

I took an omega-**** last night. it was foul. Coincidentely i was downloading some new apps on my phone while i did. I think this thread reminded me to.