Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 420336 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #200 on: June 11, 2009, 07:03:19 PM »
Why does Justin Bailey have green hair?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #201 on: June 11, 2009, 07:48:52 PM »
She still looks hawt.

Yeah, but she's hot only because we know what is hiding underneath the armor.

...speak for yourself.

Seconded.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline rbtr

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 11, 2009, 08:49:52 PM »
ACTUALLY, its not.

If you download the password generator from the Metroid database and enter the parameters for the "Justin Bailey" you'll see that the random password it gives you is not "Justin Bailey"  Not to mention the variations of the "Justin Bailey" code lead this gamer to believe that this was some sort of bizarre in joke at the development team.  Similar to the pre-programmed codes in Metroid's sister game Kid Icarus.

The more you know....

However, if you read the same website's FAQ...
WHO IS JUSTIN BAILEY?!?!?!

Although rumors have abounded over the years as to the identity of Justin Bailey -- ranging from some kid who beat the game to claims of "bailey" being a slang term for "swimsuit" (just in bailey, get it?), the truth is that the JUSTIN BAILEY password is a total fluke. If you play around with Metroid's password system something you can do with the Metroid Password Generator program, found in Fan Apps), you can come up with other names and words that work as passwords. The "Justin Bailey" code is one which was found early on and happened to work pretty well, so it became widely reported. In other words, there is no Justin Bailey who is associated with the Metroid universe and got his name made into a password.

...You see they say the password's existence is a fluke, a product of the password system.  It sounds to me like similar effects can be achieved by varying passwords, and this is one example.

KDR is right we can. The Metroid database has the source code for Metroid. And a quick search reveals that "justin bailey" is in the source code, ergo programmed into the game and not random.

So there, mystery solved.  I guess...

That's a very subjective way to look at it.  That's not the game's "true" source code, but rather that's more of an attempt to rebuild Metroid from the dump.  The reference "JustInBailey" used is just what the programmer calls Samus in Metroid without a suit, and by programmer, I mean SnowBro [Kent Hansen] <kentmhan@online.no>, btw.  He doesn't refer to it as a loaded password, but rather a "Status" of Samus, doesn't he?  That's clearly an attempt to rebuild the idea by it's most recognizable name, not something the original programmers annotated.

I still think its programmed in....but hey, there maybe a better way to find out!  If I recall, Kid Icarus's secret pre-programmed codes didn't work on the VC, so one would assume, that if "Justin Bailey" doesnt work on the VC  then it's programmed in.

Right?

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #203 on: June 11, 2009, 09:49:25 PM »
...oookay.

Regardless of how it is delivered, the Zero-Suit/swimsuit has existed in Metroid lore since the first game, and unlike other franchises, Samus' sex appeal is never front-and-center in marketing. Even in Fusion and Zero Mission, she was shown in full armor on the box art and backing. At best, it's a sick but low-key reward that is a mere cherry on the multiple-tiered cake that is a Metroid game, frosted with Awesome.

But it's an important cherry.

I forgot where I was going with this.

Anyways, Team Ninja. Zero Suit. I sense good things about this combination. My one concern is that we'll never see Fusion's free-flowing platinum hair again... nothing can top that, even the skimpiest suit Itagaki could implement short of making a Sexy Beach spinoff.
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 11, 2009, 09:53:39 PM »
Anyways, Team Ninja. Zero Suit. I sense good things about this combination. My one concern is that we'll never see Fusion's free-flowing platinum hair again... nothing can top that, even the skimpiest suit Itagaki could implement short of making a Sexy Beach spinoff.

Stevey. Paging Stevey. We have a customer at the front desk requiring some HAWTNESS. Stevey can you report to the front desk in regards to some HAWTNESS.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2009, 12:02:59 AM »
A game of epic 'proportions' indeed.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2009, 03:01:27 PM »
Check this out from www.n-europe.com

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=13334

Reggie discusses his sales hopes for Nintendo and Team Ninja's joint venture...

Speaking to Gamespot in a video interview, Nintendo of America president, Reggie Fils-Aime set a bold figure for the company's sales expectations of Metroid: Other M. The COO stated that the series was a key franchise for Nintendo, but acknowledged "...since the SNES [Super] Metroid, we haven't broken through in terms of 1.5 - 2 million units. That's our bar. That's the scale that we look at to say on a global basis this is effectiveā€¯.

In related news, the Team Ninja's Yusuke Hayashi has moved to quash fears gamers may have that the game will lose the Metroidey feel.

"First of all, it's not my intent to create a Ninja Gaiden version for Metroid with Other M. Our goal is definitely to use our know-how to our advantage in developing something that is still distinctly Metroid, but has all those qualities that would make it even better than what people would expect. A trailer being a trailer, it's going to have the sequences in it that are more action-packed, maybe a little more violent, but it's not going to be all of this game."

Hayashi went on to promise a playable version of Other M should be ready for the press very soon, so stick around to hear more about this very mysterious title...

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 12, 2009, 03:14:49 PM »
WOOHOO!
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 12, 2009, 03:22:27 PM »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
I like how the PR for this game has been handled.  They show the trailer, reveal Team Ninja as the dev and although the reaction to the trailer is mostly postive there is doubt and concern about it feeling like a "real" Metroid game.  So they acknowledge that and address the concerns.  As time has gone by more has been revealed and every time it makes me feel more confident in the game and more interested.  It's gone from "oh **** they farmed off Metroid to another dev" to "this is my most anticipated game!"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 12, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
"...since the SNES [Super] Metroid, we haven't broken through in terms of 1.5 - 2 million units. That's our bar. That's the scale that we look at to say on a global basis this is effectiveā€¯.
This may actually be achievable. This game looks to have a bit wider appeal than the Prime series and it will be released on a system with a larger userbase than the past games (by the time this is released I'm sure the Wii will have passed the NES).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #211 on: June 12, 2009, 07:40:24 PM »
From what I have seen so far, it does not look like it will be better than the Metroid Prime games. The MP games were the best Metroid games, so Metroid: Other M has a huge challenge ahead of it. The initial trailer did not impress me at all, but I will reserve final judgment until reviews come in.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 12, 2009, 11:17:20 PM »
I like how the PR for this game has been handled.  They show the trailer, reveal Team Ninja as the dev and although the reaction to the trailer is mostly postive there is doubt and concern about it feeling like a "real" Metroid game.  So they acknowledge that and address the concerns.  As time has gone by more has been revealed and every time it makes me feel more confident in the game and more interested.  It's gone from "oh **** they farmed off Metroid to another dev" to "this is my most anticipated game!"

So does this mean you were more or less satisfied with this year's E3 announcements, and that you are still a Nintendo fan? I remember you said this year's E3 would be "make or break" for you.
is your sanity...

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 13, 2009, 01:04:04 PM »
From what I have seen so far, it does not look like it will be better than the Metroid Prime games. The MP games were the best Metroid games, so Metroid: Other M has a huge challenge ahead of it. The initial trailer did not impress me at all, but I will reserve final judgment until reviews come in.
The Metroid Prime games were not really for every Metroid fan. While some of the Metroid fanbase loved it, the others were not so pleased.

And Metroid: Other M is being supervised by the main guy behind the 2D Metroids. This should do some good for Team Ninja.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #214 on: June 13, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »
Most Metroid fans I have seen loved the Metroid Prime games. The people who didn't like it are definitely in the minority. I hope that after "Metroid: Other M" the next 3D Metroid returns to the Prime formula.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 13, 2009, 01:43:53 PM »
So does this mean you were more or less satisfied with this year's E3 announcements, and that you are still a Nintendo fan? I remember you said this year's E3 would be "make or break" for you.

I was expecting something a little more dramatic actually.  Either a real turnaround or comparable to last year where it appeared that core gamers were no longer part of Nintendo's plans.  I saw them sliding more into a non-gamer company focus as time was going by and now it seems like they've just gone back to more how they were around the Wii launch.  I wasn't that cool with where the Wii was at then, just moreso then what was to come.  I'm more impressed with 2010's lineup as 2009 seems quite barren.

But I have a Wii so I'm not going to get rid of it.  Some great games are in the works, like this one, so I might as well hang on to the console that plays them.  And this still is my most anticipated title and would be even if I owned all three consoles.  But if Sony EVER lowers the price of the PS3 I'm getting one.  The Wii alone will never be good enough.  And next gen everything is up in the air.  I see myself as neutral with any console maker being able to win me over.  I guess it's not "the hell with Nintendo" but more like Nintendo just doesn't have a guaranteed purchase from me next gen.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #216 on: June 13, 2009, 04:42:13 PM »
Metroid Prime made me a Metroid "fan."

Only with Prime did Metroid become relavant by appealing to real Zelda fans.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 13, 2009, 11:27:47 PM »

I don't see how you figure that when Zelda was never a 1st person shooter. Metroid and Super Metroid were basically LoZ set in Space...
is your sanity...

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 14, 2009, 12:52:52 AM »
Most Metroid fans I have seen loved the Metroid Prime games. The people who didn't like it are definitely in the minority. I hope that after "Metroid: Other M" the next 3D Metroid returns to the Prime formula.

Unlikely, especially if Other M does well. Why would they go back?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 14, 2009, 02:09:24 AM »

I don't see how you figure that when Zelda was never a 1st person shooter. Metroid and Super Metroid were basically LoZ set in Space...

Prime had lock on mechanics and pull-the-puzzle-off-three-times bosses like all the post-OOT Zeldas.

Anyway, I slightly prefer 2D Metroid over Prime just as I prefer 2D Zelda over 3D Zelda (though the gap with the latter is much bigger than with the former).

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #220 on: June 14, 2009, 10:39:56 AM »
A recent interview with team ninja did say it would be a more "traditional" metriod... but by the looks of this screen shot, still looks like it is still have prime elements :D

I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline Snipper64

• View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2009, 10:41:44 AM »
Then again after I am looking at it... Doesn't look like a RAIL shooter? Perhaps that is the other 3d mode we are all confused about... makes sence though for this type of game...
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline redgiemental

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2009, 11:21:32 AM »
I'm much more excited for this than I would be another Metroid Prime game.

I like the Prime games and all but I think I'd prefer a fresh take on it.

The more i see about this game the more I like the look of it.

Can't wait for 2010.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2009, 01:14:13 PM »
The best of suitless samus representation was supermetroid, strong, muscular and athletic, and still it was only a brief glimpse, and it also included the most awesome death sequence in all the games.

Zero mission was the start of something ugly, and the japanese commercial for the game with its ass shots is a clear indicative of what they wanted. Given team ninja's reputation, after the trailer we can at least be glad they restricted themselves somewhat since it could be much, much worse.

However we get the generic anime female character thats supposed to be "strong" but who still has the face of a little girl, and a considerable breast size. As said, it could be much worse, but this is still far from what the character should be.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2009, 01:55:11 PM »
Team Ninja's obsession with asses and big breasts (not that it's a bad thing) was because of Tomonobu Itagaki. Without him I don't see Team Ninja being focused on them with Samus.