Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 420374 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2009, 05:52:56 PM »
Her strength comes from the suit. So she is as strong as the suit lets her be.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2009, 06:10:45 PM »
Except.... Since at least Super Metroid, canonical and non-canonical sources depict Samus herself as a solid athlete, with various gymnastic and acrobatic trainings, among things.  The suit amplifies her strength, yes, but look at Zero-Suit Samus in Metroid: Zero Mission to show how agile she is.  Samus in this game would need a well-toned, athletic body to be an accurate depiction, or some kind of super space steroid, at least.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2009, 08:39:14 PM »
Except.... Since at least Super Metroid, canonical and non-canonical sources depict Samus herself as a solid athlete, with various gymnastic and acrobatic trainings, among things.  The suit amplifies her strength, yes, but look at Zero-Suit Samus in Metroid: Zero Mission to show how agile she is.  Samus in this game would need a well-toned, athletic body to be an accurate depiction, or some kind of super space steroid, at least.

Exactly.  The Chozo raised Samus and trained her to be a fighter, and then when her training was complete they gave her her power suit.  She's supposed to be a pretty good warrior outside the suit, but the armored and well-armed power suit allows her to raise her game to that next level.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 10:25:02 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2009, 10:13:09 PM »
The only downside of her armor is it gives her broad-shoulders and a not very feminine form.
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2009, 10:27:13 PM »
She still looks hawt.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2009, 01:13:46 AM »
She still looks hawt.

Yeah, but she's hot only because we know what is hiding underneath the armor. ;) We can't see it, which sucks, but knowing its there is cool..

That said, I wish Nintendo would bring back the code to have her in a bikini. Now that we have a Metroid game in 3rd person having her in a bikini would actually matter, so they'd better do it.
is your sanity...

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 11, 2009, 01:18:47 AM »
There wasn't a water area in MP3. Never happening
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2009, 02:03:44 AM »
Also don't forget she also has Chazo blood flowing through her. I'd like to see a flash back of how they did that!

The Chazo are so mysterious, how could anyone NOT want a really fleshed out story, especialy with that race involved? When the first Prime came out, I started researching the Metroid mythos like crazy. Of course there was barely anything to find, but I was still captivated. Now im super glad we really get to learn more. We will finally have official cannon confirmation that Star Fox, F-Zero, amd Metroid are all the same universe. Just different galaxies. Mario to.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2009, 02:11:32 AM »
I withhold judgment on this game until I see the requisite Justin Bailey. That is the true measure of any real Metroid game.
I'm not sure if you know this or not, but Justin Bailey is not the name of a person. The confusion arises from the NES password input screen, which has a space in between two sets of six characters. As described in Nintendo Power in response to a letter regarding the code, it is actually three words: just in bailey. A bailey is another name for a swimsuit, apparently.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2009, 02:14:23 AM »
Maybe Justin Bailey is the name of the Chozo that gives her the outfit
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2009, 02:19:24 AM »
Did you just question Nintendo Power?

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 11, 2009, 02:23:17 AM »
Maybe NP was under Ing occupation at the time and wanted to spread their vile propaganda across the galaxy.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 11, 2009, 02:52:19 AM »
There wasn't a water area in MP3. Never happening

There's lava. But Samus is so hot that she would make the lava turn to steam. The armor isn't there to protect her; its to protect the lava FROM her.
is your sanity...

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #188 on: June 11, 2009, 08:04:09 AM »
I withhold judgment on this game until I see the requisite Justin Bailey. That is the true measure of any real Metroid game.
I'm not sure if you know this or not, but Justin Bailey is not the name of a person. The confusion arises from the NES password input screen, which has a space in between two sets of six characters. As described in Nintendo Power in response to a letter regarding the code, it is actually three words: just in bailey. A bailey is another name for a swimsuit, apparently.
I read that letter. Supposedly some dude put in his name in the password screen and that is how it was found out.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2009, 11:43:38 AM »
We will finally have official cannon confirmation that Star Fox, F-Zero, amd Metroid are all the same universe. Just different galaxies. Mario to.

Did i miss something?

I read that too, but i'd heard about it before that letter to NP actually.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 11, 2009, 01:03:37 PM »
All I know is that Arwings and F-zero cars have G-diffusers, and that there's something wrong with Falco's.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 11, 2009, 01:21:09 PM »
All I know is that Arwings and F-zero cars have G-diffusers, and that there's something wrong with Falco's.

Oh that, yeah i remember that. If Falco stopped kicking his around like a hackey sack maybe it wouldn't be broke!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline rbtr

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 11, 2009, 03:01:10 PM »
For the record Bailey doesn't mean swimsuit.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 11, 2009, 03:15:12 PM »
baileys - The Bailey units are enormous flying robots with heavy weaponry. They have taken over the surface and forced humans underground.

Ah, I see.  Good point.

Edit:  In all truthiness, wasn't "Justin Bailey" just a massive code coincidence?  That the values of the letters fit into the passcode system by how it was designed, and isn't something that was written for fun?  There's just about nothing on the internets associated Bailey or Baileys with any kind of clothing aside from the Justin case, really.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #194 on: June 11, 2009, 03:30:33 PM »
Yep, it's random. There are a lot of odd codes in the game. Justin Bailey just became popular because it was easy to remember.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline rbtr

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 11, 2009, 04:30:30 PM »
ACTUALLY, its not.

If you download the password generator from the Metroid database and enter the parameters for the "Justin Bailey" you'll see that the random password it gives you is not "Justin Bailey"  Not to mention the variations of the "Justin Bailey" code lead this gamer to believe that this was some sort of bizarre in joke at the development team.  Similar to the pre-programmed codes in Metroid's sister game Kid Icarus.

The more you know....

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 11, 2009, 04:33:19 PM »
Well, you can do a string search for "justinbailey" in the ROM dump or something...

Offline rbtr

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 11, 2009, 04:52:35 PM »
KDR is right we can. The Metroid database has the source code for Metroid. And a quick search reveals that "justin bailey" is in the source code, ergo programmed into the game and not random.

So there, mystery solved.  I guess...

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 11, 2009, 04:59:05 PM »
ACTUALLY, its not.

If you download the password generator from the Metroid database and enter the parameters for the "Justin Bailey" you'll see that the random password it gives you is not "Justin Bailey"  Not to mention the variations of the "Justin Bailey" code lead this gamer to believe that this was some sort of bizarre in joke at the development team.  Similar to the pre-programmed codes in Metroid's sister game Kid Icarus.

The more you know....

However, if you read the same website's FAQ...
WHO IS JUSTIN BAILEY?!?!?!

Although rumors have abounded over the years as to the identity of Justin Bailey -- ranging from some kid who beat the game to claims of "bailey" being a slang term for "swimsuit" (just in bailey, get it?), the truth is that the JUSTIN BAILEY password is a total fluke. If you play around with Metroid's password system something you can do with the Metroid Password Generator program, found in Fan Apps), you can come up with other names and words that work as passwords. The "Justin Bailey" code is one which was found early on and happened to work pretty well, so it became widely reported. In other words, there is no Justin Bailey who is associated with the Metroid universe and got his name made into a password.

...You see they say the password's existence is a fluke, a product of the password system.  It sounds to me like similar effects can be achieved by varying passwords, and this is one example.

KDR is right we can. The Metroid database has the source code for Metroid. And a quick search reveals that "justin bailey" is in the source code, ergo programmed into the game and not random.

So there, mystery solved.  I guess...

That's a very subjective way to look at it.  That's not the game's "true" source code, but rather that's more of an attempt to rebuild Metroid from the dump.  The reference "JustInBailey" used is just what the programmer calls Samus in Metroid without a suit, and by programmer, I mean SnowBro [Kent Hansen] <kentmhan@online.no>, btw.  He doesn't refer to it as a loaded password, but rather a "Status" of Samus, doesn't he?  That's clearly an attempt to rebuild the idea by it's most recognizable name, not something the original programmers annotated.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 11, 2009, 06:09:57 PM »
She still looks hawt.

Yeah, but she's hot only because we know what is hiding underneath the armor.

...speak for yourself.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown