Author Topic: Reggie says some things about Friend Codes again. Internet explodes.  (Read 6419 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
So, here's the part from the Wired interview
Fils-Aime: Friend codes are about making sure, in a connected experience, that a consumer has a great experience. What we mean by that is that when you're playing with a friend, you are provided full functionality with the WiiSpeak microphone, you can talk to your friend, or in a game like Animal Crossing you can invite friends into your town — but there's a recognition that for players that you don't know, what we don't want is a situation where either consumer is having a negative experience. The trash-talking that happens now online is a prime example. For us, friend codes are about making sure that the consumer has a.
I've come to terms with the fact that Friend Codes are here to stay. I wonder, though, if Nintendo really believes in this system or if they support it because it's too late to offer an upgrade/alternative (this generation anyway).

I generally avoid playing online with the Wii and DS mostly because the experience ranges from okay to horrible though I blame the servers more than Friend Codes for that one. I've used both Xbox Live and Playstation Network and the only thing I really miss on Nintendo Wi-Fi is a persistent friends list that tells me what others are playing. I guess that also negates the game to game Friend Codes. I don't think that compromises Nintendo's vision of a "great, positive, connected experience."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Reggie says some things about Friend Codes again. Internet explodes.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »
There's nothing in the console preventing the game developer from providing an alternative matchmaking system and Nintendo could easily decide "we'll drop FCs from all future games" and do it. It's not a technical limitation. I think they are genuinely worried about the GIFT though the sacrifice may be a bit much.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:50:15 PM »
All they really need to do is drop GAME-SPECIFIC Friend Codes and just use the system's code instead. One unified code and everything is solved.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 12:54:29 PM »
There's nothing in the console preventing the game developer from providing an alternative matchmaking system and Nintendo could easily decide "we'll drop FCs from all future games" and do it. It's not a technical limitation. I think they are genuinely worried about the GIFT though the sacrifice may be a bit much.

Actually it's a manditory requirement by Nintendo if a developer wants to use Nintendo Wi-Fi, EA got away with it by using EA nation, but they use EA nation on all platforms even Xbox Live. Capcom got away with Monster Hunter G and presumably 3, because they are using dedicated servers for the two monster hunter games, and it will require a subscription ticket that one must purchase using Wii Points.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 02:19:46 PM »
Yes but it's not a technical restriction that makes Nintendo keep using them.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 02:20:05 PM »
What Nintendo should have done, is require each player make a personal Mii. That personal Mii would be like your online handle, and when you select your Mii when you turn on the system you just input your password like you are logging in. Now that your Mii is logged in you have full access yo your friends list across the board. It would be like MSN(for lack of a better example) where now that I'm logged in I can see everyone of my friends and what they are doing. Now whatever game I put in, my friend list is automatically used.
If there are multiple people on the same system, then all they have to do is log in to access their friend codes(& your My Nintendo Account), and now we have a ton of "known" people to play games with.

This would be another reason for people to transfer their Mii to their wiimote and bring it to a friends house, because it would allow them to access their friend codes on another system (& maybe even temporarily access VC/WiiWare games on a friends system).

I think this might be the solution Nintendo is looking for.
Parental controls can even be implemented where the parental Master Miis can block the other/certain Miis from being able to add new friend codes or even play certain games without the Parental lock code. Completely family safe, and only need to input friend codes once. Maybe with Wii2

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 02:28:47 PM »
At this point, I've come to accept friend codes, no matter how cumbersome they can be. It seems to have worked for Nintendo, especially with claims that "NINTENDO GAMES ARE FUR THE PEDOPHILES!". The City Folk argument was destroyed by the friend codes.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 03:22:22 PM »
I have gotten used to individual FC's (I still don't like them though). I am just disappointed that Nintendo basically went back on their word. They said that the Wii system itself would have a friend code so that people wouldn't have to register FC's with individual games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 03:47:33 PM »
I have gotten used to individual FC's (I still don't like them though). I am just disappointed that Nintendo basically went back on their word. They said that the Wii system itself would have a friend code so that people wouldn't have to register FC's with individual games.

When did Nintendo claim that?
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 03:59:04 PM »
I refuse to accept friend codes as being necessary, because they're not. Console friend codes should be the only requirement, and once you've exchanged them with your friend, then all online games should work between said friends.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 04:15:39 PM »

When did Nintendo claim that?

Well, I don't know if they flat out said thay. They did imply it though when asked about Wii friend codes.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 04:50:43 PM »
Look I'm sorry but XBL >>>>>>>> Friend Codes
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 05:27:31 PM »
XBL is aimed at a completely different audience.

Also XBL costs money to actually play on so... FAIL.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 05:31:30 PM »
Wouldn't having a universal online system based around the system code mean it would have to be centralised ala XBL?

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 08:11:30 PM »
XBL is aimed at a completely different audience.

Also XBL costs money to actually play on so... FAIL.

Hmmph at least it has a real time friends list and you can just get into a mic convo with those people without a problem. I thought the audience Nintendo was going for was community and communication, hence the MII channel.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 09:32:38 PM »
Playstation Network is free and it works better than Nintendo Wi-Fi. Most people don't even need/want all the bells and whistles of either Xbox Live or Network. The persistent friends list would do just fine.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 10:47:24 PM »
Steam is free and much, much better... DRM aside. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 11:30:59 PM »
Playstation Network is free and it works better than Nintendo Wi-Fi. Most people don't even need/want all the bells and whistles of either Xbox Live or Network. The persistent friends list would do just fine.

Ya I mean, I'd be satisfied with that, at least a friends list that I could Invite people to games, etc.  Like steam.

Something real important, is USERNAMEs not FCs.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 02:32:50 AM »
Steam is free and much, much better... DRM aside. :P

Then again all these services have DRM on their downloadable stuff anyway.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 03:23:44 AM »
friend codes have ruined my experiences, i'm either too lazy or too busy, its too much of a hassle.  I don't like dealing with it, so i don't. I really wanted to play with all of you. Especially with Smash bros, i have never connected with any of you. Their network was slow and didnt work for one, and two i think my window eventually passed. When i did try to play with people like unclebob they were busy, or it didn't work. I've played with actual friends, but we organized by talking over the phone. Which i think is too much for connecting online. I never had any problems connecting to play games on the other 2 systems. N64 this ain't. Its not the play with a bunch of friends console. Neither was gamecube, but gamecube had single player games I wanted to play. Actually i take that back there was a slew of fighting games on gamecube. I was younger though and my friends were a lot less busy with life. So it was easier to get together.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 03:32:11 AM »
Perm is right on this.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 06:27:54 AM »
No he's not. He's talking from a purely personal standpoint from his own experiences. I've had the complete opposite experience. My friends and I have played multiplayer games far more in this generation than any other thanks to the Wii. Both online and offline.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 11:55:35 AM »
Yeah Perm, give up gaming.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 11:59:16 AM »
I should start coordinating with my friends via my roomates 360, it'd probably still be easier.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 01:44:25 PM »
As paranoid as it sounds I think the real reason Nintendo does friend codes is because they don't like using other company's ideas.  Since they were late to the online party all the logical obvious ways of doing online gaming had already been taken up.  So they had to come up with a weird ass way to do it so that they could do it a unique "Nintendo way".  Sounds crazy?  Nintendo ALWAYS does this.  Look at anything they do.  Either they invented it and do it almost perfectly or it's an established idea being done in a weird ass unique but borderline idiotic way that attempts to fix a problem that never existed in the first place.  Nintendo uses friend codes to "improve" the "broken" online model the competition was using that was obviously fatally flawed because Nintendo did not have any input in it.

Nintendo: we invented it or pretend that we did.